Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Kirk Cousins, NOT IMPRESSED

Riggo'sRangers

The ONLY reason he threw that INT is because he blew three very real TD throws earlier in the game

No, the reason he threw that INT there was that he tried to force that pass and he was NOT under any duress in the pocket. Yeah the playcalling should have been better. Calling those back to back fades with a QB who has been missing throws is a question mark to me. Run the ball and see if you can pop one like they did earlier in the game.

What makes this performance EVEN WORSE was the almost- interceptions. The one to Lee and the one on 4th down with 2 minutes left. Now up next the Giants who held Brees to 13 points. Despite how bad  the defense played this is all on Kirk. I thought literally everyone on offense stepped up except him which is telling and disappointing.

6 minutes ago, Baughlin' said:

What makes this performance EVEN WORSE was the almost- interceptions. The one to Lee and the one on 4th down with 2 minutes left. Now up next the Giants who held Brees to 13 points. Despite how bad  the defense played this is all on Kirk. I thought literally everyone on offense stepped up except him which is telling and disappointing.

Indeed, he's lucky he doesn't have 6 ints on the season.

And capping off these drives with TDs or connecting on open TD opportunities would probably help a shaky defense.

5 minutes ago, justice98 said:

Maybe he's just a slow starter.  He was rather shaky at the start of last season too.  Two of the first 3 were middling, at best, as I recall.

I thought of that, too...some of those missed TD throws were as  bad as the missed TD throws against the Giants last year in the 3rd game.

But if Cousins wants big boy money he has to move passed that, like yesterday.

He has to go back to that 15 minute thing he was doing last year there is too much on him - which never should be . But it is not just Cousins that is strugling Breeland is getting slaughtered in every single outlet like his is some rookie scrub, Ryan Kerrigan is invisible, Preston Smith is invisible ( Trent Murphy seemed to be our only impact defensive player. Norman is being taken out the game by OUR game plan and where has Jordan Reed gone - he needs bumping down the depth chart ... 

I'm not gonna lie. I was on the bandwagon screaming "PAY THAT MAN!"  So glad, I'm not the GM. Kirk chokes when the pressure is up. He is so timid. He's had plenty of times when he could keep the play alive by simply moving around in the pocket or running for the 1st down. His decision making can be good at times, but bad a lot of times. He is the new 50/50 because you never know which Kirk you're going to get, Good Kirk or Bad Kirk. If he doesn't get his MOJO back soon, we'll be looking for a new QB early in the draft. 

The only over throw I give Cousins a pass on was the one to Djax where Djax broke open late.  I felt Cousins saw Jackson semi-covered and figured he'd heave it into a spot where only Jackson had a chance.  Fine whatever.

The in-completion to Crowder was just awful, all the time in the world to throw, Crowder is open with no one around him, and he completely over throws the ball.  Then the throw to Doctson he under throws it (and it is perhaps late) so Josh has to stop running his route and he ends up stopped instead of going in for an easy TD.  

25 minutes ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

The only thing Robert has to do with this is that I recognize quite a few of the same posters who wanted to stick with him after two+ bad seasons now also wanting to bench Kirk after two bad games.

Considering we invested three first rounders in the other guy there was a reason some wanted to make sure he sucked. He did and we moved on. 

If Kirk sucks and I'm not saying he does, with the talent we have on offense you may be able to salvage the season with Colt. You don't bench Kirk unless we start 0-6 or 1-5 though.  

26 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Basically Kirk is capable of putting up elite level numbers but isn't actually a special passer, if that makes sense. This may be why we were hesitant to pay him like one--its clearly a system thing, he can succeed in this system but doesn't elevate it. 

Kind of makes that report over the summer that the Redskins think they can find someone to come in and play at Cousins level fairly easily in the draft believable doesn't it? 

I'll admit, I took Scot to task for blowing the Cousins deal and felt he cost us the chance to sign Kirk long term and if so, do it cost effectively. 

Based on the sample so far, I was wrong. I thought Cousins was our guy and would continue his okay from last year. This, while only 2 games, is a nightmare. But Scot looks like a genius that's for sure 

1 hour ago, justice98 said:

Maybe he's just a slow starter.  He was rather shaky at the start of last season too.  Two of the first 3 were middling, at best, as I recall.

That seems like a stretch..

But it does make you wonder how smart it was to have him sit out 2 preseason games and throw 5 passes in another. No trial surprising the O didn't start the season in rhythm after that.

5 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

Kind of makes that report over the summer that the Redskins think they can someone to come in and play at Cousins level fairly easily in the draft believable doesn't it? 

I'll admit, I took Scot to task for blowing the Cousins deal and felt he cost us the chance to sign Kirk long term and if so, do it cost effectively. 

Based on the sample so far, I was wrong. I thought Cousins was our guy and would continue his okay from last year. This, while only 2 games, is a nightmare. But Scot looks like a genius that's for sure 

Me too.  But I want to see him in a couple of more games before I throw in the towel.  Really worried with his inaccuracy however and that INT was just freaking stupid.  Even if we hit a field goal however that D will not stop a running nose let along a competent offense.  We are done for this year, that D is simply horrid and I am sorry, Scott didn't do anything during the offseason to help the DL which we all knew had major issues.

If Cousins hits Crowder and Garcon instead of overthrowing and throwing the ball in to the ground, this team could've blown them out.  The INT was just DUMB, are well as the 2 fade play calls that preceded it.  Cousins has unfortunately reverted back to his 2012 form where he just turned the ball over at bad times.  I was rooting him coming in the with all the "YOU LIKE THAT" and the possibility for growth.  They're going to be in a weird situation entering the offseason, with the possibility of extending him, franchising him again or starting over completely.   

7 minutes ago, SAli457180 said:

If Cousins hits Crowder and Garcon instead of overthrowing and throwing the ball in to the ground, this team could've blown them out.  The INT was just DUMB, are well as the 2 fade play calls that preceded it.  Cousins has unfortunately reverted back to his 2012 form where he just turned the ball over at bad times.  I was rooting him coming in the with all the "YOU LIKE THAT" and the possibility for growth.  They're going to be in a weird situation entering the offseason, with the possibility of extending him, franchising him again or starting over completely.   

To be fair if you are referring to the pass to Garcon on the end zone comeback route?  Cousins threw the ball right to where Pierre would have been had Carr (or was it Clairborne?) not grabbed and held his jersey.  It was extremely blatant and should have resulted in a 1st and goal on the 1 yard line.  Just one of many puzzling calls today.

Cousins made plenty of awful passes today, but I don't think that one was his fault.

It is very surprising to me how inaccurate Kirk has been this year so far.  

Missed Crowder

missed DeSean

missed Doctson in stride for an easy TD.  

Thats 21 points left out there, what a difference accuracy makes......

our D cannot bail him out if he is going to be inaccurate all year, this could be ugly. 

Cousins had some bad games this season, but I think he'll work his way through it.  

I thought Cousins should have played more in the preseason, considering he's had some slow starts in the past.  He usually needs a few games to get into in a rhythm -- and I suspect the lack of live game time this preseason has set him behind schedule.  Hopefully the Skins coaching can do something to help him get there a little more quickly..

Also, I wasn't happy with the OC's red-zone calling.  I don't know why they kept trying to force things Doctson.

Bottom Line:  This loss puts now tremendous pressure on Cousins --and it's going to be difficult for him to get back on track, considering the next game is an away game versus the Giants.  Still, I'm staying confident Cousins will get back on track ...but my worry is that might take as long as game 4, before he breaks through.

On the plus side, this could make signing Cousins more affordable, if the Skins FO decides they want to.

Archived