Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Kirk Cousins, NOT IMPRESSED

Riggo'sRangers

Just now, Taylor703 said:

If he doesn't miss three wide open TD passes today, we win. That simple. 

Actually it was six

1.Overthrowing Crowder

2.overthrowing desean.

3.missing desean when he had inside leverage but threw it to the outside shoulder.

4.Didnt throw to Desean when had his man beat inside the end zone. 

5.way underthrew a wide open Doctson

6.threw the ball low on a  garcon comeback route in the end zone. 

Six thats 6!! Missed TDs. This game shouldve been a blow out. But no Cousins is the least of our problems right smh.

2 hours ago, SkinsHokieFan said:

Did anyone hear the Pam Oliver report after Cousins threw the INT?

Talked about how distraught he was on the sideline. 

Did you see the body language of every skins player on offense seconds after he threw that pick? Garçon was screaming, the OL were throwing up their hands and the rest of the WRs were hanging their heads. They have likely lost confidence in him now. 

2 minutes ago, skinfan2k said:

Also the play calling was gutless..  Forcing 3 Fades in the end zone.  Forcing a fade to a guy who hasn't had any reps at all with Cousins.  Where are any touches with Jackson and Reed inside the 5???  How many gutless 4th downs do we punt 

Agreed, the fades were just stupid.  Better off going in the middle of the field to Reed would've made more sense.  Guess Gruden and McVey forgot about the Tampa game they won last year with that play.

3 minutes ago, Beast2Meast21 said:

Actually it was six

1.Overthrowing Crowder

2.overthrowing desean.

3.missing desean when he had inside leverage but threw it to the outside shoulder.

Six thats 6!! Missed TDs. This game shouldve been a blow out. But no Cousins is the least of our problems right smh.

I don't disagree that he made other bad decisions. But to be fair your #s 3 and 4 were tough throws and your #6 the CB was holding Garcon. The pass was actually where it had to be.

But the other 3? Those were two totally wide open complete misses that most HS QBs can make and a horribly underthrow ball that should have been 6. You just can't miss throws with receivers that wide open. I think was more taylor703's point was.

With the season pretty much over now, I am going to be really interested in Kirk's development. If there is anything positive from this dumpster fire, it is that Kirk's market value has definitely corrected. We should be able to sign him for a decent team friendly contract and allow him to develop as we draft additional pieces.

Obviously, some of y'all probably shake your head at the idea of signing him, after he has **** the bed. But at the right price, I think there is a lot of value this off season. I still have confidence Kirk could be a decent QB for us. Not a top level QB, but decent.

This team is deeply flawed pretty much everywhere but WR and TE. That includes coaching. I would be a lot more freaked out if we had signed Kirk to a long term deal based on last year numbers and didn't have room to make improvements. 

** No, I am not over reacting saying the season is over. I am not even upset. Even if Kirk turns into the QB from last year this team will not be winning anything meaningful. We could turn it around and find ourselves as a WC, but that seems unlikely.

its amazing how the patriots can win without 9 starters and then their second string qb gets hurt.  We can't beat a team with their back up qb with our starters?  We have been blaming qb's for years yet the only thing that hasn't changed after all the firings and trades is Dan Snyder.  He paints dark skies over everyone's head so they are under so much pressure they fail.  I agree Cousins still sucks.  And what a slap in the face that Morris scores against our weak overrated defense.  Just ridiculous

Just now, goskins10 said:

I don't disagree that he made other bad decisions. But to be fair your #s 3 and 4 were tough throws and your #6 the CB was holding Garcon. The pass was actually where it had to be.

But the other 3? Those were two totally wide open complete misses that most HS QBs can make and a horribly underthrow ball that should have been 6. You just can't miss throws with receivers that wide open. I think was more taylor703's point was.

A QB makin 20 mill even if its on a one yr franchise tag needs to hit those. 

I bet Desean is pissed. kirk is costing him $$ on a contract year. Desean is balling so far too bad the stats dont show.

1 hour ago, NoCalMike said:

Right now Cousins is playing like a QB the franchise will run with until they come across a better option whether it is the draft or free agency. This was what I was saying about Cousins being a guy that can usually take the defense gives, but he isn't a difference maker.

So what if the Patriots let Garappolo hit free agency (which is kinda likely since he injured his shoulder and will be out the next 2 weeks until the Golden Boy comes back)? Or would you make a preemptive trade for him based on an OK pre-season and a game and a half of decent play?

1 minute ago, Wyndorf25 said:

So what if the Patriots let Garappolo hit free agency (which is kinda likely since he injured his shoulder and will be out the next 2 weeks until the Golden Boy comes back)? Or would you make a preemptive trade for him based on an OK pre-season and a game and a half of decent play?

Eh, I'm weary of any QB not named Tom Brady that succeeds in short term relief on the Patriots.  New Englad has a habit of getting the absolute best out of everyone they sign, well besides Haynesworthless.....

Look, by no means should we be benching Kirk. Flat out, unquestionably, Colt McCoy isn't the "better" option. 

Cousins, as his time as a starter, has shown the potential to be a top guy. I've never seen that from McCoy. My stance going into last year was you choose your guy and you ride with the guy until you absolutely can't anymore because the team won't have it, and win or lose you find out what you've got. My stance is still that this year with Cousins. You chose him as your guy, and you have a vet backup not a "future" type guy sitting behind him. That means until you will completely lose the team keeping him in there, you keep him in there.

That said, his bad play absolutely needs to be looked at and addressed in an honest fashion. Are there problems with the defense? Yes. Is there questionable play calling? Arguably yes. But those things don't dictate overthrowing Jamison Crowder when it'd be an easy TD. That has nothing to do with under throwing Doctson so you get a big play instead of a TD. It has nothing to do with a redzone INT when you could put the game away. It has nothing to do with multiple throws over two games with bad placement causing the passes to be uncatchable or losing out on easy YAC. Those things are problems, and it's okay to talk about them.

It's not talking about them to figure out if we should bench Kirk or not; we shouldn't. We should let him ride it out and see if he pulls himself out of this funk. But it's important, because it's a question regarding what happens in the future. We were going to give this guy $16ish million, and he balked. He wants more. He needs to be evaluated honestly if he's going to be paid more on any kind of long term deal.

I think Kirk would look better if we didn't have him throwing 45 times a game. Our offense lacks balance, so it is easy for defenses to drop a bunch into coverage.

Kirk's accuracy is definitely a bit off though. Sometimes that happens when a guy's adrenaline is pumping. He's also made some ill-advised throws in critical spots. He seems to be pressing. I do think he'll get out of this slump, but he needs to relax a bit.

1 hour ago, Wyndorf25 said:

Garappolo isn't a FA until after 2017. If he's anywhere near as good as he's seemed so far I wouldn't bet on them letting him go. At that point, Brady would be entering his age 41 season and I have my doubts they would let a guy that good go for Brady's hang-on years.

He's got performance anxiety. He just doesn't have that mental edge to be a killer. He'll make some good throws, he'll have some good games, but he's never going to be worth the big money. It'll be better to let him go at season's end and use that money to shore up the D. I want to go the Steelers/Ravens/49ers/Seahawks route and use our prime draft picks to get really good on D and not bother taking a QB until we're set everywhere else and he can just come in and ball out right away.

30 minutes ago, Beast2Meast21 said:

Actually it was six

1.Overthrowing Crowder

2.overthrowing desean.

You can delete #6. Garcon was held by his Jersey or tugged or else that was a TD (I am mad at the ref not seeing that!). #5 even though true doesn't mean Doctson gets tackled at 1 yard line. So really 4 missed opportunities. 

30 minutes ago, skinfan2k said:

Also the play calling was gutless..  Forcing 3 Fades in the end zone.  Forcing a fade to a guy who hasn't had any reps at all with Cousins.  Where are any touches with Jackson and Reed inside the 5???  How many gutless 4th downs do we punt 

I will say one thing about the fades, forced or not, they were very poorly executed.  Those throws weren't even close.  The WRs had no chance to make plays.  The one to Doctson was basically a line drive into the defender's back. 

I was wondering why they didn't go to Reed down there too.  I would guess that the league is probably hip to what they're gonna do with him down there and plan accordingly. 

2 minutes ago, s0crates said:

I think Kirk would look better if we didn't have him throwing 45 times a game. Our offense lacks balance, so easy easy for defenses to drop a bunch into coverage.

Kirk's accuracy is definitely a bit off though. Sometimes that happens when a guy's adrenaline is pumping. He seems to be pressing a bit. I think he'll get out of this slump, he just needs to relax.

Please. Kirk has been in the league for 5 years. He's not a rookie. He was missing throws, especially the throw to Crowder, that a high school QB can make. Dak, had more poise than he had.

Cousins have been an embarrassment so for this season. 

Just now, s0crates said:

I think Kirk would look better if we didn't have him throwing 45 times a game. Our offense lacks balance, so it is easy for defenses to drop a bunch into coverage.

Kirk's accuracy is definitely a bit off though. Sometimes that happens when a guy's adrenaline is pumping. He's also made some ill-advised throws in critical spots. He seems to be pressing. I do think he'll get out of this slump, but he needs to relax a bit.

Dallas couldnt cover our receivers neither did Pittsburgh. Thats two straight weeks that our receivers have been running free all game. Whats wrong with keep throwing the ball if they cant cover you?  problem isnt playcalling. Its the qb not hitting them

If "" cousins doesn't throw that pick in the end zone were not having this conversation. People need to calm down, take it easy and step away from the ledge. I'm going to next weeks game in nj, so I have faith that we can beat these Mara chumps! It's a MUST win! For sure 

2 minutes ago, justice98 said:

I will say one thing about the fades, forced or not, they were very poorly executed.  Those throws weren't even close.  The WRs had no chance to make plays.  The one to Doctson was basically a line drive into the defender's back. 

I was wondering why they didn't go to Reed down there too.  I would guess that the league is probably hip to what they're gonna do with him down there and plan accordingly. 

The fade is a low probability play, and I've never understood why we seem so wedded to it. We have a coaching staff that just isn't that good. Their lack of skill is magnified right now because Kirk can't perform when the pressure's on. It's really too bad bc I like the guy and think he has all the skills, but I just don't know if this is something he can fix. I'm willing to give him time bc lord knows we've had our share of awful quarterbacking and I see the potential with him, but I want a new coaching staff in here asap on both sides of the ball. They are not maximizing our talent and are not putting the players in a position to succeed: that's unforgivable. 

Archived