Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Kirk Cousins, NOT IMPRESSED

Riggo'sRangers

9 minutes ago, JoeKnowsBest said:

I don't put it all on Kirk because they are asking far too much of him when they only run the ball 10-15 times for THE WHOLE GAME. There is no creativity and there is no balance. All the opponent has to do is sit back in zone all day and watch his eyes and wait to jump the football because they know we're not going to run the football and gash them. There is absolutely NO EXCUSE for us to have so few rushing attempts!!!!

Put some balance back into the offense and you'll have the defense guessing which will give Kirk more of a chance to succeed, and along with him, our entire team.

If you can't put the team on Kirks back than he's not a franchise guy. Simple as that. Right now you could get the same amount of production out of Colt McCoy and it would've costed you significantly less. That's not what this team signed up for when they gave him $19 mil. He needs to wake up and play better or this season is going to spiral out of control. 

1 hour ago, Duckus said:

With the season pretty much over now, I am going to be really interested in Kirk's development. If there is anything positive from this dumpster fire, it is that Kirk's market value has definitely corrected. We should be able to sign him for a decent team friendly contract and allow him to develop as we draft additional pieces.

Signing a 29 year old, 6th year veteran to a starting QB contract in the NFL... with the hope that he continues to develop....

Doesn't sound like a great strategy for next off season. 

1 hour ago, $hogg4life said:

its amazing how the patriots can win without 9 starters and then their second string qb gets hurt.  We can't beat a team with their back up qb with our starters?  We have been blaming qb's for years yet the only thing that hasn't changed after all the firings and trades is Dan Snyder.  He paints dark skies over everyone's head so they are under so much pressure they fail.  I agree Cousins still sucks.  And what a slap in the face that Morris scores against our weak overrated defense.  Just ridiculous

If the QB hits the three wide open TD passes, we win. Daniel Snyder isn't out there throwing the ball. 

Something else I don't get.  Why don't we have these same dump off options in the flat that produce yards?  If the Cowboys can design a scheme were Dak gets to avoid having to throw into the zone coverage, and can constantly check down into a safe 2-3 yard pass, then McVay can sure as hell design the same thing for Kirk and maybe just have him do that until the secondary starts creeping up to stop it.

It just seems like our coaches are so thoroughly picked apart every week. It's quite embarrassing.   I know not every coach can be the next Gibbs, Walsh, Parcells etc etc...but our current coaches look like they are in over their heads and when things aren't going their way they have no answers, no adjustments, it is just a stubborn "keep on keeping on" attitude.  Almost Zorn-like.

10 minutes ago, Drastik said:

Signing a 29 year old, 6th year veteran to a starting QB contract in the NFL... with the hope that he continues to develop....

Doesn't sound like a great strategy for next off season. 

I had to look that one up. I forgot he was 28. I was convinced he was more in the 25-26 years old range. :blink:

While I agree that running the ball so little is ultimately bad for Kirk, we can't use that as an excuse for his egregious mistakes today. While some of the play calls did suck donkey balls, there were a lot of creative calls by McVay that had people absolutely wide open, and Cousins missed them. That's the game right there. And you all know very well that, if he'd just hit one of those and we'd won, the mood would be drastically different around here, even with all the other issues. And that pick in the end zone ... just beyond belief that he threw that. 

This was the knock on Kirk a couple years ago when McCoy was chosen over him. They felt like he wilted under pressure. They felt like he wasn't strong enough mentally to get the job done. They gave him another shot last year, and after a shaky start, he seemed to finally move up to a different level as far as his mental game was concerned. That's what's so frustrating about these last couple games, where he just seems to have regressed back to that pressing QB with a confidence crisis. It's maddening. It just goes to show, you can't coach that kind of thing out of someone. It's either there or it isn't there. I hope he can shake off the stink next week and return to form, but yeah, the lack of a longterm deal does seem to be the only positive after the way he's played. And then again, that's incredibly depressing, too, the thought that we STILL don't have a QB. 

Heard something on tonight's pregame show about rumbling in the Redskins locker room about players not happy with KC.

I think its being over-hyped to a degree; I'm sure they're not happy, but they also know a QB has an off game now and then. Even Rypien in his best year had off games, Brady has off games, so I'm not terribly concerned with him long term, but I'd like to see his issue addressed and corrected asap.

But it just doesn't make sense; he has the talent, the arm, the brains, and he showed it last year. Something tells me he's got something on his mind, maybe the lack of a running game is causing him to put pressure on himself to perform better.

I do gotta admit, that hail mary at the end, the ball just sailed outta the back of the endzone; he needs work on his depth perception.

to the rest of the NFL, that was a good, exciting, close game and then one of the qbs threw a brutal turnover in the red zone.  Eli threw the same pick in the same spot last year.

Scot himself basically said that Kirk isn't going to be that great qb that wins us games by himself, and that we'll give him tools to help us along, but that's not just guys catching the ball.  this 'can't run the ball, can't stop the run' thing is a huge problem.

I'm actually cool with being a pass heavy team.  but IF that's the direction we are going, and we probably should for this year, it's going to be rough at first...hopefully just at first.

it's hard to shake off though...Kirk just looked bad, period, to anyone.  and wound up with nearly 400 yards passing somehow.  so the guy knows how to pass the ball, he just missed a lot today, and he passed the ball too many times.  if, as Scot said, he doesn't have to be amazing for us to win, then we have to run the ball more.  those pretty toys at receiver mean nothing if the other team knows that all we want to do is throw it to them.

so we shouldn't be surprised that kirk looks bad when he's asked to do everything.  99% of qbs would.  but in today's case, he had time, guys were open, and it was bad on him.  

Like I said, every QB makes mistakes and has "bad games" however it's more about the easy stuff that Cousins is simply not hitting on that is the frustrating part.  Even game-manager level QBs can recognize wide open guys and get the ball to them.  Cousins didn't need to be a franchise QB out there today to win the game. All he had to do was get the ball to the players that were working the effffff out of the Dallas secondary.

4 minutes ago, skins island connection said:

Heard something on tonight's pregame show about rumbling in the Redskins locker room about players not happy with KC.

I think its being over-hyped to a degree; I'm sure they're not happy, but they also know a QB has an off game now and then. Even Rypien in his best year had off games, Brady has off games, so I'm not terribly concerned with him long term, but I'd like to see his issue addressed and corrected asap.

But it just doesn't make sense; he has the talent, the arm, the brains, and he showed it last year. Something tells me he's got something on his mind, maybe the lack of a running game is causing him to put pressure on himself to perform better.

I do gotta admit, that hail mary at the end, the ball just sailed outta the back of the endzone; he needs work on his depth perception.

The problem is that this isn't the first time we've heard those rumors, it happened with RGIII it happened before that, and those have always been followed up with a complete meltdown, Cousons needs to get it together cause this script is awfully reminiscent of 2013 

1 hour ago, NoCalMike said:

Like I said, every QB makes mistakes and has "bad games" however it's more about the easy stuff that Cousins is simply not hitting on that is the frustrating part.  Even game-manager level QBs can recognize wide open guys and get the ball to them.  Cousins didn't need to be a franchise QB out there today to win the game. All he had to do was get the ball to the players that were working the effffff out of the Dallas secondary.

Again, the disturbing part is a fragile psyche was always the big knock on him and now it looks like it's hitting again.

That doesn't get wiped out by some big games. He's having the problem in his 5th year at 28 years old. It's an issue and no reason to think it's going away.

7 minutes ago, skins island connection said:

It's only Week 2, so either it is being over-hyped, or there are a contingency of players in the locker room that simply don't believe Cousins has what it takes.  Let's not forget that when Cousins was initially chosen over RG3, it seemed like there were a lot of lukewarm endorsements for the move, and that's not even to say they thought Robert was a better choice (he clearly wasn't) more the non-belief in Cousins being the answer either.

1 hour ago, httrcirca87 said:

I wonder what all those folks clamoring for Cousins to get a massive long term deal now think after his putrid performances thus far. Dude is mentally fragile and it doesn't seem like that is fixable.

I'm one of those people and I am perfectly willing to say that it looks like I was way wrong. The only caveat is that two games is very small sample size, but this is an alarming start to the year. 

Last year he became so confident and played so well in the red zone. This year is another story. So many short FG attempts and low percentage throws. I hope things flip, but after 1/8 of the year McCloughan looks like he knew what he was doing in making Cousins prove it again. 

3 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

It's only Week 2, so either it is being over-hyped, or there are a contingency of players in the locker room that simply don't believe Cousins has what it takes.  Let's not forget that when Cousins was initially chosen over RG3, it seemed like there were a lot of lukewarm endorsements for the move, and that's not even to say they thought Robert was a better choice (he clearly wasn't) more the non-belief in Cousins being the answer either.

The problem is that we have no alternative. If KC doesn't improve over the next few games, we're literally stuck with suckage until the end of the season. I really don't think anyone here thinks Colt is a viable alternative, then again, I don't know how much worse he could be at this point either. Let's just hope KC has some rust to shake off. Hopefully, after that, he'll improve.

Just now, brandymac27 said:

The problem is that we have no alternative. If KC doesn't improve over the next few games, we're literally stuck with suckage until the end of the season. I really don't think anyone here thinks Colt is a viable alternative, then again, I don't know how much worse he could be at this point either. Let's just hope KC has some rust to shake off. Hopefully, after that, he'll improve.

According to the PFT article one source said about McCoy:"At least he'd play with some poise"

3 minutes ago, brandymac27 said:

Yep, all of this is true. KC is either the guy or this is going to get ugly. There is no real alternative. 

10 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

I'm thinking he knows our running game sucks and is putting more pressure on himself to compensate. I said in another thread I'd really like to not keep the QB carousel line open, just work through it and hopefully he can overcome it. There's a lot of problems with this team in general, but as soon as the QB, whoever they are, plays poorly the fans here cry for a new one, so they can come in, look good for a few games, then stink up the joint and keep the carousel going.

If he can't, then deal with the problem during the offseason.

Archived