Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2017 Comprehensive NFL Draft Thread

Dukes and Skins

2 hours ago, wilco_holland said:

Give me 5 names that would upset you? I find it hard to find 5 if I don't conside all the OT's (because chance we draft OT early seems to be 0.0001%)

It depends on who we pass over to take them that would determine how upset I'd be (ie Mayock draft - passing on Hooker).

But I'll assume we didn't pass on one of the top 10 players - here goes (does not assume a trade down)

These five would be reaches imo at 17 (And or don't really fit)

Any QB

SS - Peppers

LB - Watt 

DE - McKinley

DE - Harris

I want a front 7 player or RB in the 1st round....on that note; these are the guys I would be happy with at any point in the 1st round, including a trade down.

McCaffrey

Fournette

Cook

Jon Allen

Reddick

Foster

Davis

TJ Watt

Jordan Willis (late 1st)

I don't want Barnett, Taco, Takk, Harris, Bowser in the 1st round

17 minutes ago, nonniey said:

It depends on who pass over to take them would determine how upset I'd be (ie Mayock draft passing on Hooker). .....

Mayock has Hooker not only outside the top 10, but passing us at 17 now? I really have little time for the way he flip flops. 

DPB's final mock:  2017 NFL Mock Draft: Two quarterbacks in top five, McCaffrey taken before Fournette - CBSSports.com

5 minutes ago, SkinsPassion4Life said:

I don't want Barnett, Taco, Takk, Harris, Bowser in the 1st round

Better hit on our edge rusher at 17 elsewhere then because I highly doubt they make it to 49. 

Hail. 

11 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

yeah me too and we desperately need a big NT clogger up the middle like him.   That need is as big as edge rusher IMO. 

He's not 300lbs though. He's definitely not a clogger. He's an attacker. I agree we need a clogger, but Tomlinson is a Ratliff who's going to break through the line, not make a wall of it.

Which I'm honestly all about as long as we've got 2 big fast MLBs to fly into the open gaps he'll create.

Ok, I've talked myself into wanting Dalvin Cook again. I'm reading names like McKinley or Harris and it seems obvious none of the really good D players will be there at 17, so lets just get the most explosive RB we can get and put up 30 points a game. An offense with Cousins, Reed, Doctson, Pryor, Davis, now adding Cook? That's scary good. Defensively we'll figure it out as we go.

4 minutes ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

Mayock has Hooker not only outside the top 10, but passing us at 17 now? I really have little time for the way he flip flops. 

DPB's final mock:  2017 NFL Mock Draft: Two quarterbacks in top five, McCaffrey taken before Fournette - CBSSports.com

Hail. 

The closest thing to earl thomas, since earl thomas. Yeah, don't think anyone has slept on the Seattle defense in a while or doesn't understand why they can blitz the hell out of you, without being exposed.

What a great get Hooker would be. Playing deep center with both Cravens and Swearinger able to run free? Yeah, I'll also take allowing our corners to constantly go for picks, without worry over the top.

It's currently 3:38 PM. 

If I was to be paid on production, I'd be ending today owing money as I've literally done F all bar chat **** with you guys and peruse the latest on all things draft related. 

And tomorrow I'll be as useless as I'll be like the Walking Dead. 

#whoneedsworkanywayswhenyouvegotthedraft?

Hail. 

11 minutes ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

Better hit on our edge rusher at 17 elsewhere then because I highly doubt they make it to 49. 

Hail. 

I'd rather have Ryan Anderson, Carl Lawson or Derek Rivers in the 2nd or 3rd round

18 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

He's not 300lbs though. He's definitely not a clogger. He's an attacker. I agree we need a clogger, but Tomlinson is a Ratliff who's going to break through the line, not make a wall of it.

Not so.  Tomlinson is 310.  Known for being a run stuffer not so much an attacker.  The fact that he can attack some in the mix of being a run stuffer is part of the reason why some say he might end up being a 2nd rounder versus the earlier thoughts of him being a 3rd-4th rounder.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/04/25/dalvin-tomlinson-alabama-nfl-draft

Tomlinson didn’t post huge numbers at Alabama, but he always did his job. In ’16, Tomlinson made 62 tackles with 5.5 tackles for loss. His specialty, though, was using the leverage advantage he honed as a wrestler to occupy two blockers at once. That helped Allen and linebackers such as Reuben Foster make the plays that turned them into potential first-round picks.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/draft-pff-scouting-report-dalvin-tomlinson-di-alabama/

PFF

Bottom line: Tomlinson is one of the elite run defenders in this draft class. Tomlinson can beat the blockers across from him with quickness, length or strength. Tomlinson has a thick strong lower body which makes him tough to move. He can also keep his opponent at a distance with his arms and locate the ball very well. Tomlinson has the ability to play two-gaps as well as the quickness to be a one-gap penetrator. Tomlinson’s ability to play different positions along the defensive line will help his value in the draft. Tomlinson’s pass-rush production increased in 2016 but the question will be does he offer enough as a pass-rusher to be selected high in the draft. The natural pass-rush ability is there and perhaps it will develop with time making him an even more valuable asset to his team.

Name: Dalvin Tomlinson

School: Alabama

Position fit: Defensive interior

Stats to know: Tomlinson had 43 QB pressures and 23 run stops in 2016.

What he does best:

• One of the premier run defenders in the draft class.
  • Sheds blockers with ease in the run game.
  • Very difficult for just one blocker to move and holds up to double teams well.
  • Can play two-gaps with ease as he locks out blockers away from his frame and sheds at will.
  • Can knock blockers backward off the snap with an initial jolt.
  • Very good playing strength and he plays bigger than even his listed size.
  • Uses a club-swim, bull and bull-jerk rush to get pressure on the quarterback.
  • Impacted far more passing plays in 2016 than he did earlier in his career.
  • Uses his long arms to clog passing lanes and bat down passes (9 batted passes in two years).
  • Sound tackler who has only missed three tackles for his career.

Biggest concern:

• Had an impressive 70 hurries over the last three years but only knocked down the quarterback 11 times (three sacks, eight hits).
  • Very reliant on his club-swim move to get pressure, will need to develop more pass-rush moves.
  • Only one season of playing at least 50 percent of defensive snaps.
  • Surrounded by one of the most talented college defenses in recent memory.

I miss the old draft day format when it was done all in one day.  We used to have a pool party and crawfish boil every year.  Bikinis, beer, sweating it out by the pool, football.  It was a blast.   

If they wanted to split it and do the first round separately, I think that would be fine to showcase your marquee players.  But this three day stuff is hot garbage.  

I think I'm most interested in any potential movement via trades throughout the entire draft for the Skins. Be it a trade down in the first or 2nd, or using one of our 4th to move back into the 3rd for someone who falls. So many scenarios that could happen.

This draft has the potential to add so much competition at so many different positions for this roster and I just hope we take advantage of it. If the Skins piss me off and go offense in the 1st without a trade down, we better go all defense from round 2 to 4. Hope Tomsula has his eye on a few favorites hes willing to stand on the table for in the war room

1 minute ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

I miss the old draft day format when it was done all in one day.  We used to have a pool party and crawfish boil every year.  Bikinis, beer, sweating it out by the pool, football.  It was a blast. .....

In my furtile mind, this is the uncensored version and you are now the guy I look up to in life! 

Hail. 

McShay's final mock draft has Washington taking Dalvin Cook at #17 with the mention that they could trade back and still get him ...

Jarrad Davis is at #27 in this one, and TJ Watt isn't in the first round. Reddick goes to Indy at #15, and Allen #9 to Cincy

Kiper has Skins taking Hooker at #17 ... Reddick at #11 and Allen at #9 again ... Kiper also has Cook and Watt out of the 1st round ... and has Davis/Foster going #21 and #22

Interestingly, both Kiper and McShay now have Cleveland taking Trubisky #1

2 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Interestingly, both Kiper and McShay now have Cleveland taking Trubisky #1

What's with this?

The Browns (admittedly, they are still the Browns) couldn't be so stupid as to pass up on a DeMarcus Ware top echelon calibre (IMHO) edge rush talent could they?

Hail. 

If the Browns do draft Trubisky at #1, I will have a hard time believing that they'll trade out of #2, opting to take the sure-thing in Garrett at #2 ... but I do wonder, if there is a draft-day trade of Cousins ... if it ends up being possibly tomorrow, for the #34 and #66 picks and next year's 1st ... IF San Francisco can't get back into the 1st round to draft a QB ... and if a run of QBs in the late-1st leaves the Niners devoid of any of their top options. That would give us a chance to load up on defense in the 2nd and use one of the 3rds on a QB if there's one there ... otherwise roll with Colt and Sudfeld this year in hopes of pairing up the 1sts next year to move up for one of the stud QBs.

Doubt it happens, but folks seem to be thinking a draft-based trade happens once the dust settles IF the chips don't fall for SF to get a QB. Not sure that happens today, or with the #2 pick ... but if the chips fall into place tonight, SF might be willing to move next year's pick and their 2/3 to get Cousins.

Archived