Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2017 Comprehensive NFL Draft Thread

Dukes and Skins

Pretty funny.

Forrest Lamp inks endorsement deal with....A lamp company:

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/nfl-prospect-forrest-lamp-inks-endorsement-with-lamps-plus-because-sometimes-the-world-is-a-fun-place/ar-BBArNK2?li=BBnb7Kz

"The opportunity to partner with Lamps Plus before my rookie NFL season, especially with my last name, is the perfect scenario," said Lamp in a statement. "I'm confident that my girlfriend Natosha and I will have the best-decorated and most well-lit rookie home in our new team city!"

3 minutes ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

Like any other Redskins Sunday then?

I was thinking the same thing.  Who the hell starts drinking AFTER we pick?  That's like starting the morphine drip in the middle of your surgery.

You gotta start drinking way before we pick.  This way, you'll be indifferent and maybe even slightly excited.  

If I'm reading the tea leaves, and the podcast about GMSM convo with a fan at a gas station is true (it sounds ****ing stupid once you say it out loud :P), and we do like Trubisky as much as they say we do...you gotta think the Niners/Skins phones will be buzzing tonight.  As usual, nothing likely to come out of it, but it'll be nice anti-climactic theater.  

Just now, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

If I'm reading the tea leaves, and the podcast about GMSM convo with a fan at a gas station is true (it sounds ****ing stupid once you say it out loud :P), and we do like Trubisky as much as they say we do...you gotta think the Niners/Skins phones will be buzzing tonight.  As usual, nothing likely to come out of it, but it'll be nice anti-climactic theater.  

I'm not gonna say I love Trubisky and he's a sure thing. I think he's definitely a risk ... but if you're going to get rid of Cousins, I wouldn't mind swapping him for Trubisky straight up considering we likely lose him next year for nothing ... I would imagine SF would give us #2 for Cousins ... and if that did happen, and we take Trubisky, then so be it. Cheaper player for 5 years while we build the team ... rather than $25m a year for Cousins ... if you're gonna bail on Cousins I could think of worse ways to do it than to replace him with Mitch

1 minute ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

I was thinking the same thing.  Who the hell starts drinking AFTER we pick?  That's like starting the morphine drip in the middle of your surgery.

You gotta start drinking way before we pick.  This way, you'll be indifferent and maybe even slightly excited.  

Again, I would like to reiterate this man is now my moral compass in life who I endeavour to live my life by. 

As for Trubisky. I'd hate it. I'd still need a **** tonne of liquor to get through it. But I'd understand it. 

Hail. 

15 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Sporting news rumors.  Who knows if true but if it is:  

They are on board with Charles Harris being hot on the radar (Grant Paulsen just said he's heard the same from people he knows)

They also really like Peppers (some other draft geek said the same awhile back, forgot whom), Cook and Barnett

Dalvin Cook is #1 on their board.

They really like Trubisky (hopefully that doesn't mean anything)

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/news/nfl-draft-rumors-news-updates-browns-49ers-bears-eagles-steelers-cowboys/4jla52tbm7ws1met4algvpiw9

Jeebus... Trubisky (though I'm hoping that's just to light a fire under SF or maybe the Texans if he falls to our pick), Pepper, Harris and Barnett... and probably my least favorite of the top 4 rbs.  If we go one of those routes... I hope we nail the rest of the draft.

To be fair, I'm fine with most of those guys after a trade down.

Just now, Skinsinparadise said:

Scot advising other teams on this draft?  That's what happens when you strangely fire him before the draft while publicly making it known that anyone could hire him.

The ONLY way that this hurts us is if he divulges information about our draft board, so other teams have an idea of who we're picking, and when.  But since he was essentially fired before the combine, I'm pretty sure that the board has changed significantly since he last saw it.  So, I can't imagine that there would be a lot of impact.

And as far as a talent evaluator is concerned, if somebody else wants his opinion, fine.  That doesn't scare me either.  Like all GMs, he's had some hits and some misses.  So, shrug.  

The Ravens pick at 16 is going to be pivotal I think. They are heavily linked with Alabama prospects. If they pass on OT, I think we will trade back with Denver or the Giants for an extra third. Problem is that may take Cook away at 19 to Tampa and mean Foster has already gone to the Ravens or earlier. May as well go all the way back to 25 with the Texans at that stage if they jump for a QB.

My view, I reckon our target is primary target is Reddick but we'd be all over Allen or Hooker at 17. If they are gone we bail out to the 20's and go Takk or shock pick of Tyus Bowser. 

17 minutes ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

I haven't seen this "how much they love Trubisky" thing or gas station thing.  

Here are my hopes, solely based on the ensuing drama, which would be fun to watch.  

1. 'Skins trade with SF for the #2, pick Trubisky .  (Hopefully get a 2nd and 3rd in addition to the pick, because a franchise QB in his prime is worth more than just the #2 pick overall.  This would be HIGH DRAMA.  

2. One of the three top ranked QBs fall to the 'Skins, and they pick him at #17. Leading to a 1 year tutorship under Kirk, and then turn the team to him.  That would be SO MUCH FUN.

3.  'Skins trade Kirk to SF (as before) but Cleveland has already selected Trubisky.  The 'Skins select Myles Garret.  Which would be really fascinating.  Now they're in the market for a QB, but have really helped the defense.  

4. 'Skins pick a RB at #17.  Possibly Cook.  This wouldn't be really interesting until October when we realize that we still can't stop anybody under any circumstance.  Not that a defensive player at #17 solves that problem, but it would lead to a lot of "well, why the hell didn't you do something about it?" conversations.  

EDIT: In the "Best Interest of the Team" mode, I would hope none of the above happen.  For knowing.  

21 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

The ONLY way that this hurts us is if he divulges information about our draft board, so other teams have an idea of who we're picking, and when.  But since he was essentially fired before the combine, I'm pretty sure that the board has changed significantly since he last saw it.  So, I can't imagine that there would be a lot of impact.

And as far as a talent evaluator is concerned, if somebody else wants his opinion, fine.  That doesn't scare me either.  Like all GMs, he's had some hits and some misses.  So, shrug.  

If I recall correctly from other posts, your tendency is to take Bruce's side on the Scot fall out.  And that's cool to each their own.  I am not thrilled with either one of them as for how it played out.  But I don't see this though as a Bruce versus Scot thing.   My take related to this issue is if Scot had to be let go then do it after the draft -- the people (Grant, McNally, Russell) who brought this story out initially suggested that Bruce's intention was to wait until after the draft to fire him but he went ballistic when he saw Scot's wife's tweet with the rings and then the subsequent photo of Scot wearing Redskins gear at Whole Foods.  If so, it just seems to me odd that Bruce couldn't take it until after the draft and would tell the world hey you can take our guy right before the draft, have at him.

Scot was working hard on the draft board as far back as last fall.  Scott Campbell admitted that Scot's stamp is on their draft board.  The idea that's its changed that radically in the last two months IMO is doubtful.  Is it the end of the world?  Nope.  But do I want Scot sharing his top picks that likely to some degree dovetail with the Redskins -- nope.   We don't know who Scot's advising.  If I were one of the NFL East teams, I'd hire him -- who do the Redskins like again?  Where do they think they are vulnerable and why? Where do they think we are vulnerable?    Not the end of the world but a bigger deal in my opinion then a shrug. :)

Edit:

The NFL Network is pumping the story some just now, getting some traction on the radio too.  So at least from an interest stand point its gaining more than a shrug. :)

I would sure as heck naturally expect other teams to be into one of the brightest evaluating minds out there who learnt under the best. If I were a fellow GM I'd of been straight onto Mac's phone for his info/ input the day he was fired. 

Sadly, we have an organisation that can't deal with being grown up and professional so now we have the kids back in charge of running this show. 

May God go with us the next three days. 

Hail. 

Big Hypo: Trade Kirk to SF for #2, #66 (3rd) and a 1st next year

Option 1: Load the defense and wait for QB next year (or mid round this year) ... assume Trubisky goes #1 to Cleveland and play the "we just traded away a franchise QB so we gotta make these picks count" mode ...

2: Myles Garrett, EDGE Texas A&M

17: Reuben Foster, ILB Alabama or Jarad Davis, ILB Florida

49: Joe Mixon, RB Oklahoma

66: Dalvin Tomlinson, DT Alabama

81: Sidney Jones, CB Washington or Gareon Conley, CB OSU

4th: Ethan Pocic, C/G LSU

4th: Best QB Available (Webb, Peterman, Kaaya)

5th: Caleb Brantley, DL Florida

CHAMPIONSHIP (in 2019)

But no, seriously, how legit would that squad be in 2018?! The defense? My god

1 minute ago, SkinsPassion4Life said:

NFL Network just reported that we flew to Michigan over the weekend to meet privately with Peppers...but that was before his diluted sample.

They also mentioned that trading back is very possible

I know I've mentioned trading back quite a bit... so this is good to hear.

The way I look at it is that so many of the guys we're thinking of (the fans and the team) have some fairly serious question marks.  Give me an extra pick and I'm gonna feel a lot better about taking someone like McDowell/Cook, reaching on a Davis/Harris/Peppers, or whatever.

5 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Big Hypo: Trade Kirk to SF for #2, #66 (3rd) and a 1st next year

Option 1: Load the defense and wait for QB next year (or mid round this year) ... assume Trubisky goes #1 to Cleveland and play the "we just traded away a franchise QB so we gotta make these picks count" mode ...

2: Myles Garrett, EDGE Texas A&M

17: Reuben Foster, ILB Alabama or Jarad Davis, ILB Florida

49: Joe Mixon, RB Oklahoma

66: Dalvin Tomlinson, DT Alabama

81: Sidney Jones, CB Washington or Gareon Conley, CB OSU

4th: Ethan Pocic, C/G LSU

4th: Best QB Available (Webb, Peterman, Kaaya)

5th: Caleb Brantley, DL Florida

CHAMPIONSHIP (in 2019)

But no, seriously, how legit would that squad be in 2018?! The defense? My god

And the Skins would have two 1sts next year to chase after a QB in a much, much better class if need be.

4 minutes ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

YOU! EVIL ONE! ENOUGH WITH THE TEASING ME OVER GARRETT! 

SERIOUSLY! :angry:.

Hail. 

Lol ... I'm doing my annual day of the draft "hey let's get a ton of picks and draft all the studs" ramble ... except this year there's maybe some fire behind the smoke of getting to #2 ... of course ... it would also require Cleveland to draft Trubisky, which I'm still not sold on even though all the mocks are trending that way.

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Geez just watched Garafalo on NFL Network pump up how much he hears the Redskins like Peppers.  Bruce Allen flew up with scouts on Sunday to Ann Arbor to meet with him. 

This is one HELL of a way to get our new RB. 

This is the plan right? RIGHT?

Hail. 

3 minutes ago, SkinsPassion4Life said:

They also mentioned that trading back is very possible

I don't like our slot at #17. I believe we get a slight chance of a steal but have a majority situation of having to reach. I'd say it's 80/20 weighted at having to reach. 

Shame it looks like the Browns may move up from #12. Ideal dream scenario for me is them wanting moving back up at our first, giving us their two 2nds plus say a 4th for our #17 and a 6th. We'd be stacked rounds 2-4. Not happening though.

Archived