Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2017 Comprehensive NFL Draft Thread

Dukes and Skins

5 minutes ago, LightningBuggs said:

And the Skins would have two 1sts next year to chase after a QB in a much, much better class if need be.

And if I had to guess ... we'd be looking at both in the 6-16 range. I could see SF winning 5-7 games with a competent QB like Cousins ... and the Skins sans a real QB or rookie would be in the same 6-7 win range, depending on the offense (defense would be young, but fast and pretty good on paper).

But it would set up for a very good defense in 2018 and beyond, and you could get yourself 2 picks next year in the Top 14 or so ... to potentially get one of the stud QBs ...

This isn't going to happen though, so I'm sorry I even got the juices going on it haha

1 minute ago, SkinsPassion4Life said:

Just saw a tweet from Rapaport that says we are interested in trading back into the late 1st round.

I'm thinking the Seahawks and Chiefs would be likely partners....Seahawks have 3 3rd round picks...Chiefs have 10 picks, including an extra

Chiefs look real good for a QB if one falls. I like that if tradings the best option come our pick. 

Hail. 

1 minute ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

And if I had to guess ... we'd be looking at both in the 6-16 range. I could see SF winning 5-7 games with a competent QB like Cousins ... and the Skins sans a real QB or rookie would be in the same 6-7 win range, depending on the offense (defense would be young, but fast and pretty good on paper).

But it would set up for a very good defense in 2018 and beyond, and you could get yourself 2 picks next year in the Top 14 or so ... to potentially get one of the stud QBs ...

This isn't going to happen though, so I'm sorry I even got the juices going on it haha

Conjecture is always fun.

Agree that it's 99.9% unlikely to happen but it's a path I would be pursuing if I were GM AND I knew there was no way I was going to get Kirk to sign an LTD.

3 minutes ago, SkinsPassion4Life said:

Just saw a tweet from Rapaport that says we are interested in trading back into the late 1st round.

I'm thinking the Seahawks and Chiefs would be likely partners....Seahawks have 3 3rd round picks...Chiefs have 10 picks, including an extra

Fine by me. This is one DEEP draft. Adding a couple of picks helps you hit on at least a couple of them. 

14 minutes ago, SkinsPassion4Life said:

NFL Network just reported that we flew to Michigan over the weekend to meet privately with Peppers...but that was before his diluted sample.

They also mentioned that trading back is very possible

There's a few Michigan player we could pick. Bet we talked to a couple of other. Much like when we flew out to speak with Ryan Anderson...:kickcan:

Just now, clskinsfan said:

Fine by me. This is one DEEP draft. Adding a couple of picks helps you hit on at least a couple of them. 

Me too. That's my number one option. If we end up with 7 picks through the first 4 rounds we'd be in a great position.

6 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

I don't like our slot at #17. I believe we get a slight chance of a steal but have a majority situation of having to reach. I'd say it's 80/20 weighted at having to reach. 

You shouldn't have to reach at 17 mate. 

You're more or less guaranteed a  real good talent regardless. 

Only bad teams with no football GM would reach here. Oh ****!

Hail. 

1 minute ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

You shouldn't have to reach at 17 mate. 

You're more or less guaranteed a  real good talent regardless. 

Only bad teams with no football GM would reach here. Oh ****!

Hail. 

I reckon at 17, barring a guy who slides, you end up with a slew of mid 20's level talent and it becomes a wash. Trade back and get another pick.

Chiefs look real good for a QB if one falls. I like that if tradings the best option come our pick. 

Hail. 

Makes little sense to trade up for a QB there.  Every team until the Texans at 25 either has an established QB or recently spent a first round pick on one.

If we trade back, it will be someone jumping up to take OL.  Broncos at 20, Giants at 23, and Seahawks at 26 are all prime spots for an OT to go, and you have three tackles (Ramcyzk, Robinson, and Bolles) basically considered the cream of the crop in a weaker than usual class.  If the Giants or Seahawks really like one of them above the others, they'll likely need to trade above the Broncos to ensure they get him.  Same with basically any team that wants their pick of OT - the 'Skins pick at 17 is a good spot to go to.  

Also, think about the timing of the Moses extension.  It's not ridiculous for the 'Skins to take an OT if you didn't extend him.  OL is by far the safest position to draft in the first round.  Now, with Moses signed long term, they can trade down with an OT-needy team and get additional picks in perhaps the 3rd or 4th this year, which most consider to be the tenderloin of value in this draft.

Just now, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

I reckon at 17, barring a guy who slides, you end up with a slew of mid 20's level talent and it becomes a wash. Trade back and get another pick.

I reckon if that slide is a McKinley for injury reasons or a McDowell for effort/ maturity concerns, you're getting a bona fide top 5-10 talent and doing a crazy happy naked dance. 

*Maybe the dancing thing will just be me leaping out of bed. 

Hail. 

8 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

There's a few Michigan player we could pick. Bet we talked to a couple of other. Much like when we flew out to speak with Ryan Anderson...:kickcan:

Not too far to Michigan State too if we wanted to look closer at McDowell.

2 minutes ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

I reckon if that slide is a McKinley for injury reasons or a McDowell for effort/ maturity concerns, you're getting a bona fide top 5-10 talent and doing a crazy happy naked dance. 

*Maybe the dancing thing will just be me leaping out of bed. 

Hail. 

You watching it all...gonna be a late one...

Does anyone know roughly what time we should expect to pick if we're picking #17? Hoping to get home from this event tonight by 9:30 ... the draft is my favorite event of the year and it falls on my anniversary weekend AND I have this work event tonight. Likely I miss first half of the first round, and then tomorrow and Saturday I will be lucky if my wife allows me to snipe looks at my phone to stay on track with the draft since we are out of town celebrating our anni ...

1 minute ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Could extending Moses and paying him a ton of $$ mean that we gotta slash cap space? Does that mean an imminent move of Cousins and shedding of $24m in cap space is about to ...

I kid, I kid.

Maybe a DHall move once we pick a DB over the weekend.

30 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Big Hypo: Trade Kirk to SF for #2, #66 (3rd) and a 1st next year

Option 1: Load the defense and wait for QB next year (or mid round this year) ... assume Trubisky goes #1 to Cleveland and play the "we just traded away a franchise QB so we gotta make these picks count" mode ...

2: Myles Garrett, EDGE Texas A&M

17: Reuben Foster, ILB Alabama or Jarad Davis, ILB Florida

49: Joe Mixon, RB Oklahoma

66: Dalvin Tomlinson, DT Alabama

81: Sidney Jones, CB Washington or Gareon Conley, CB OSU

4th: Ethan Pocic, C/G LSU

4th: Best QB Available (Webb, Peterman, Kaaya)

5th: Caleb Brantley, DL Florida

CHAMPIONSHIP (in 2019)

But no, seriously, how legit would that squad be in 2018?! The defense? My god

I like Kirk and want a deal done but I would trade him if this was the result 

I shall endeavour to. At least through pick 28. (Personal interest. Don't ask.). 

My aim was to get some kip this evening but the frigging Manc Derby has put paid to that! :angry:.

Hail. 

You can't bail out after 28 haha. Maybe the Pukes will trade up to #1 anyway :movefast:

2 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

You can't bail out after 28 haha. Maybe the Pukes will trade up to #1 anyway :movefast:

If they did, and added THAT to their D front alongside what they have the other side of the ball, we are ALL ****ED!

At which point I suggest we all take out a hit on JMS! He'd be the rat to blame for messing with the Garrett juju! :angry:.

Hail 

10 minutes ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

I shall endeavour to. At least through pick 28. (Personal interest. Don't ask.). 

My aim was to get some kip this evening but the frigging Manc Derby has put paid to that! :angry:.

Hail. 

You can then look forward to the mighty Bolton wanderers getting promoted back to the championship live on TV Sunday.

Just now, markmills67 said:

You can then look forward to the mighty Bolton wanderers getting promoted back to the championship live on TV Sunday.

True story. Me Ma's from Bradford. (Blck sheep of the family. :P.). 

For someone without much interest normally, she's getting rather excited for the playoffs. I hope you clinch it Sunday mate but Parkinson playing his old club the playoff final would add some spice. 

Hail. 

3 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

Nah.  I heard something that sounded accurate to me on CBS Sports last night - because there's this group of players between ~10 and ~50 that are more or less similar in value, the first and second round is really going to be more about positional need than BPA.  Trading back's nice, but if you can't, the advantage of staying at 17 is that you get a greater selection in terms of filling positions of need.  Think about our positions of need and the players available and in that range:

S: basically none aside from Peppers, who I don't particularly like

MLB: Foster, Davis, maybe Reddick (although London Fletcher said he doesn't like him at MLB and he should know), Cunningham

EDGE: Charlton, McDowell, McKinley, Barnett, Harris, Williams

You trade down in the first, probably an edge guy will be there, but a MLB may not be.  I like Will Compton and Mason Foster, and we'll see about Zach Brown, but I just don't think they're the types of MLB that are on Super Bowl teams.  I think a guy like Foster or Davis might be, and if you trade down, you're not as likely to get your long-term solution at MLB.

Put it this way: I'd much rather have Foster/Davis and the best edge rusher available at 49 than an edge rusher in the first and a MLB at 49, because edge is pretty deep in this draft and you're not going to get a franchise MLB at 49.  You get Foster/Davis at 17 and the best edge available at 49 (Bowser, Williams, Anderson, Basham, Rivers, et al), I think that's a home run.  Less excited about the order being reversed.  The depth at ILB just isn't there.

16 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Does anyone know roughly what time we should expect to pick if we're picking #17? Hoping to get home from this event tonight by 9:30 ... the draft is my favorite event of the year and it falls on my anniversary weekend AND I have this work event tonight. Likely I miss first half of the first round, and then tomorrow and Saturday I will be lucky if my wife allows me to snipe looks at my phone to stay on track with the draft since we are out of town celebrating our anni ...

Believe it was posted on Twitter that it will be after 10 pm EST

Archived