Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2017 Comprehensive NFL Draft Thread

Dukes and Skins

6 minutes ago, saltydog75 said:

I think a more realistic scenario would be Seattle trading up to #17 to grab an OT.

I agree in that if the Ravens don't pick Robinson, well even if they do, a few others will get twitchy to jump for the next OL guy. Denver wants one badly at #20. That would get us their comp third at #101 I think. Giants may want OL, plus Seattle. You could have the Texans and KC hunting a QB. If the main 6-8 are gone, get moved back for my money.

11 minutes ago, saltydog75 said:

I think a more realistic scenario would be Seattle trading up to #17 to grab an OT.

So to go from #17 to #26 we'd need to recoup 250 points of value ... pick #90 (140) and #102 (92) get you close with 232 ...

While the point value charts are a rough guesstimate, it's rare that a team trading down gets MORE value than the pick traded. I think the only exception for us was when we traded back in the 2nd with Dallas a few years ago and got an extra 3rd rounder.

In this case, I would expect us to get 2 of Seattle's late 3rd round picks. Sure, they're glorified 3rd rounders since they're at the tail end ... but it would still have you picking in the mid-20's of the 1st round and then gives you 2, 3, 3, 3, 4, 4 ... in a draft where you could expect starters into the 4th round.

18 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

we trade back from #17 to #25 and get an extra second rounder. The Texans overpay for a QB. We use that pick at #25 

I always like the trades where another team goes out of their way to help the Redskins. So, I have a little perspective on this. 

While the Texan's GM has certainly made some moves that have left me scratching my head, when I role played GM for the Texans n our mock draft, I came to the determination that there were only three QBs worthy of being selected where they their cost met value, and each one was a Day 3 guy. 

3 minutes ago, Monk4thaHALL said:

I always like the trades where another team goes out of their way to help the Redskins. So, I have a little perspective on this. 

While the Texan's GM has certainly made some moves that have left me scratching my head, when I role played GM for the Texans n our mock draft, I came to the determination that there were only three QBs worthy of being selected where they their cost met value, and each one was a Day 3 guy. 

Its not that far off being fair. Probably an exchange of later picks would balance it out. They would also still be left with a 3rdand 2x 4ths I believe. Clearly the chances of these things happening is not that far north of zero, I get that much.

Just now, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

Its not that far off being fair. Probably an exchange of later picks would balance it out. They would also still be left with a 3rdand 2x 4ths I believe. Clearly the chances of these things happening is not that far north of zero, I get that much.

I actually traded with the Redskins GM in our mock draft, going from #25 to #17. But it wasn't for a QB. 

Not until after that did these notions pop up. There was never a mention of said move anywhere on the internet until just recently by Peter King. 

11 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I've already belabored the Mcdowell stuff so don't want to bore people with the same discussion.  I'll just say this its telling that we've heard rumors of interest in multiple players in this process but not Mcdowell.  Unless its one heck of a smoke screen.    And if anything you'd figure they'd clamor for a guy that plays that position.  But still crickets.

I don't want to get my hopes up for M. Hooker but this would be helpful.  Hooker seems to go to SD in many mocks and they need a safety.

Such idiots. Offense isn't the problem, they have Keenan Allen, Tyrell Williams, Dontrel Inman, Travis Benjamin, Hunter Henry, Antonio Gates' corpse, and Melvin Gordon. What they don't have is a competent OL or a consistent defense. They should trade down or go Defense. They are ruining my dynasty teams by wasting McCaffrey in such an idiotic offense. How many balls can he catch when they already have a kings ransom of potential targets to throw to?!?!?! and Melvin Gordon is the bell cow?!?!

Just now, The Consigliere said:

How many balls can he catch when they already have a kings ransom of potential targets to throw to?!?!?! and Melvin Gordon is the bell cow?!?!

So this would certainly put a damper on McCaffrey's fantasy value ... BUT ... I would imagine they would turn him into a glorified Danny Woodhead ...

If anything, this could dampen Gordon's value.

both. McCaffrey can be a bell cow with a shorter leash, 16-20 touches a game, not 20+ but that would do, but Gordon can do what he can do and Farrow is a reasonable backup with some upside. They are just wasting what's left of Rivers career. Just crazy to me. They might as well trade him somewhere like Arizona. 

Just now, lavar1156 said:

If we draft Peppers I will snap. 

The only way Peppers makes sense to me is if the defensive philosophy is shifting and we're going to be more of a 4-3 type scheme where Cravens moves to WLB a la Deone Buccanon.  Then you drop Peppers in as SS and it works.  Otherwise, it's a little puzzling since he and Cravens would more or less share a position.  That being said, the guy has fantastic potential.  With a 4.46 40, he's got CB speed.  We know he can play LB (albeit more of a 3rd down type) and projects well at SS.  That kind of versatility is valuable in today's NFL, which is all about creating matchup problems.  You get a quick TE against a slow LB, he's blowing past him for a long completion.  Peppers is a guy who gives you a counter to that.

I mean, think about it this way.  Cravens ran 4.69 at his pro day.  He's not going to flex out to the slot with that kind of speed and be effective.  Peppers is a different guy.  Cravens is fast for a LB.  Bump him into a Deion Jones type of role, put Peppers at SS, find a FS later.

The only way to recomend the pick is from best available player angle. He's a superlative prospect, and while I'd be irritated, especially if he was the section at 17, I'd be irate if we took someone like Harris. Down the line Peppers almost certainly would be a huge asset for the secondary and do more long term good to me than Harris unless harris ends up like a JJ Watt guy where he's a way way better pro than anyone expected. I suspect Peppers will be a very good pro for a long time and that's better than a bust, but man, it's hard to think that will accomplish much in the short term, then again we aren't anyway, so maybe it shouldn't be a big deal. 

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

If I recall correctly from other posts, your tendency is to take Bruce's side on the Scot fall out.  And that's cool to each their own.  I am not thrilled with either one of them as for how it played out.  But I don't see this though as a Bruce versus Scot thing.   My take related to this issue is if Scot had to be let go then do it after the draft -- the people (Grant, McNally, Russell) who brought this story out initially suggested that Bruce's intention was to wait until after the draft to fire him but he went ballistic when he saw Scot's wife's tweet with the rings and then the subsequent photo of Scot wearing Redskins gear at Whole Foods.  If so, it just seems to me odd that Bruce couldn't take it until after the draft and would tell the world hey you can take our guy right before the draft, have at him.

Scot was working hard on the draft board as far back as last fall.  Scott Campbell admitted that Scot's stamp is on their draft board.  The idea that's its changed that radically in the last two months IMO is doubtful.  Is it the end of the world?  Nope.  But do I want Scot sharing his top picks that likely to some degree dovetail with the Redskins -- nope.   We don't know who Scot's advising.  If I were one of the NFL East teams, I'd hire him -- who do the Redskins like again?  Where do they think they are vulnerable and why? Where do they think we are vulnerable?    Not the end of the world but a bigger deal in my opinion then a shrug. :)

Edit:

The NFL Network is pumping the story some just now, getting some traction on the radio too.  So at least from an interest stand point its gaining more than a shrug. :)

I don't recall ever taking Bruce's side.  I think it was a really, really stupid mistake on the way the whole Bruce vs. Scot thing played out, and firing him for cause and allowing him to go wherever he wanted was also stupid.  At the very least, they should have figured out how to keep him under contract until after the draft.  If that is essentially "Keyshawn-ing" him and paying him to stay home, that's what they should have done.  

I just don't know how a team would put the 'Skins information to use.  I'm sure that there are ways, but I don't think a team is going to dramatically change their draft strategy based on what the 'Skins would do. Maybe I'm wrong, but I'd like to see how it could really be used against them.  

I guess  scenario where it would be useful to a team is if the 'Skins REALLY like a player, and team X wants said player, they would know they had to move up to get him, or pick him a round earlier.  But there are 31 other teams out there, so knowing what 1 team might think of a player, you can't set your draft strategy based on that. 

I would really have preferred that this not be an issue.  But again, it is what it is.  Can't put the toothpaste back in the tube, so I'm going to choose not to worry about it.  

But Bruce was damn freaking stupid for the way he handled the entire SM situation.  

Back-to-back years the Caps play the penguins in game 1 of the 2nd series on NFL draft night.

Tiny pity party- it's not awesome when you're looking forward to the draft for so long, but then can't really pay attention at the game.

One final note before I head over, please Skins, no RB at #17.

31 minutes ago, wilco_holland said:

Check Peppers turnover ratio and then come back with the playmaker tag. He is no Honeybadger.   

The dude fits the college game great. Because he could run around and tackle all these short spread stuff...but don't think he fits the safety role. Unless it is a SS who plays in the box.

O wait we have spend a second round pick last year on Suaaaaaaaa. 

I'll say this in support of Peppers: it really impressed me that he worked out with both LBs and DBs at the combine.  That's a guy who just loves football, and that's something we don't discuss enough.  Same with his moving positions at Michigan.  Sure, it hurts him in terms of technique, but that's a huge team move - putting your team's needs above your own.  I guarantee you there are players who fight coaches on those types of moves because it could hurt their draft stock.  You combine that with fantastic combine results and that's a guy who maybe you pick and worry about positional fit later.  

Don't love Peppers as our pick, but we could do worse.  I'd rather have Peppers over any RB, for example.  Teams that consistently win in the NFL don't pick RBs in the first round because they know they can get them lower or get the same effectiveness with a RBBC.  People are getting blinded by the Zeke factor and thinking somehow a RB in the first makes sense.  Not so.  When that RB's 30 and washed up, your franchise LT, QB, DB, etc will be halfway through their career.  At some point the Cowboys will see Elliott getting less than 4 yards a carry and Jalen Ramsey getting a mega free agent deal and they'll say maybe we shoulda drafted the other guy.

Went with the aforementioned trade scenario of 1.17 to Seattle for 1.26 + 3.26 + 3.38 ... was offered lots of trades to keep moving back from 2nd and 3rd to the next round and getting a lot of picks in the 3rd and 4th range respectively but stuck it with just that one trade ... and it really all hinges on Round 2 and whether you go Mixon there or go defense and I did go Davis > Watt at 26 ... Watt went 28 to Dallas ... Cunningham was there at 49 ... so in hindsight maybe I would have swapped Watt and gone Cunningham in 2nd ... also I wanted Ryan Anderson and Dalvin Tomlinson but both went 3.9 and 3.16 ... Anderson going right before my 3.17 pick (ugh). Anyway ... here it is ...

1.26: Jarad Davis, ILB Florida

2.17: Joe Mixon, RB Oklahoma

3.17: Ethan Pocic, G/C LSU

3.26: Tarrell Basham, EDGE Ohio

3.38: Tanoh Kpassagnon, DL Villanova

4.7: Eddie Vanderdoes, NT UCLA

4.16: JuJu Smith-Schuster, WR USC

5.10: Demonta Kazee, CB SDSU

6.17: Chad Kelly, QB Ole Miss

6.23: Tedric Thompson, FS Colorado

Skipped R7 since it's a crapshoot. I'd love this draft. You'd fill the holes at ILB (Davis), End (Kpassagnon), NT (Vanderdoes), EDGE (Basham), WR and RB playmakers (Schuster + Mixon) ... practice squad QB with upside to join Sudfeld (Kelly) and an upside FS (Thompson) and Slot Corner (Kazee) ... and finally a G/C rotational depth piece (Pocic) who can compete this year but mainly plug into the rotation in 1-2 years.

Also, I think Thompson likely goes in the 5th ... Kpassagnon is a crapshoot and could be there late 3rd. I think this is an OK draft despite the fact that our EDGE is Basham who no one has linked to us that I know of (which means we likely draft him haha) ... I do feel like it's realistic and we definitely missed out on two of my targets in R3 in Bama's Tomlinson and Anderson, so Basham/Kpassagnon/Vanderdoes had to fill those holes

Re: Peppers. Scott Campbell:

On evaluating players who play multiple positions:

“It can be challenging if you get a guy that’s physically a tweener size or maybe speed-wise is somewhat tweener, meaning he doesn’t really fit one position or the other. I think just a pure athlete, it’s pretty simple. A pure athlete you plug in almost anywhere. I reminded the guys a couple days ago – Champ Bailey played receiver at Georgia as well as corner. It didn’t hurt his evaluation at corner at all.”

Think Peppers would initially be asked to play that slot corner role -- get him covering in space in that short-to-intermediate area, where he can also make plays on the ball on tight ends, running backs out of the backfield. Help us improve our league-worst 3rd and long defense.

Also suspect all this Charles Harris talk is a smokescreen. Just before the draft, local and national reporters are all hearing that we won't let him pass us? Ok.

2 hours ago, Redskin21502 said:

of all the guys rumored to us the last few days Harris is the one that would upset me the most

I think we should all prepare ourselves to be staring at Foster or Reddick and we wind up taking Charles Harris.  Having said that.  I just re-watched his highlights.  He's got skills.  Great band and speed around the corner.  Great spin move when he uses it.  Splits double teams.  Does well on inside stunts.  Maintains discipline on misdirection plays.  Don't get me wrong, I want a stud LB or a game changing RB but this guy isn't the worst prospect.  I wouldn't throw my tv out the window like I will if we draft Peppers.  

14 hours ago, COWBOY-KILLA- said:

Dalvin Cook. The dude is a baller and a threat to score every time he touches the ball. Would be stoked with the pick. The off field stuff isn't a big concern for me. 

Rueben Foster. A missile. Would pick him at 17 above Cook, just because of our needs. 0 concerns with the X's and O's chalkboard stuff. Footballs not played on a chalk board. Instincts.

One of these two would be my pick, if we pass on either of these guys, it will be a shame. 

Amen brother. That's what I am talking about. 

I freakin love the draft.  3 and a half hours to go and counting. 

10 minutes ago, wilco_holland said:

If we trade up for Fournett then Daniel Snyder is back in the GM chair. We need to sell tickets and jersey's guys. Make money! 

Dan is marketing King.  

Eh...I don't necessarily agree. Fournette is a hell of a back, someone who can carry the rock 25 times a game and someone you can build your offense around. Look at the impact Zeke had on Dallas. It would depend on what we traded up of course, but I wouldn't be that opposed to it. We need legit impact players.

1. I really hope we don't trade up for anyone, so this has no relation to the actual move being talked about.

2. We need to not meet every move we don't like with "that must be Dan pulling the strings!!1!" Its stupid. Like, really stupid.

Archived