Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2017 Comprehensive NFL Draft Thread

Dukes and Skins

Just now, wilco_holland said:

Give me 5 names that would upset you? I find it hard to find 5 if I don't conside all the OT's (because chance we draft OT early seems to be 0.0001%)

Get that stick out of that hive :ols::chair:

You really can't believe GHH can't come up with only 5 ways BA can screw this weekend up?

16 minutes ago, wilco_holland said:

Give me 5 names that would upset you? I find it hard to find 5 if I don't conside all the OT's (because chance we draft OT early seems to be 0.0001%)

At 17? Who will more than likely go first round?

Any QB. Although I would understand the logic behind it given the uncertainty over Cousins who I honestly believe is done after this year in DC. 

Jabril Peppers. We'd take him with no defined defensive position. And he's got some bang average defensive traits. Heck of an athlete and football player though. Work that contradiction out? If we sign Peppers, we'd better DARN well have a set position in mind and stick to it and hope. 

Taco Charlton. Nowhere near ready to start the pro's. Great comparison is Justin Tuck coming out. Can you afford to wait 2/3 years for that potential to develop in our situation at 17? I like what he could become in the right environment. But not for this team at 17. Give me Wormley from the Wolverines first ANY day of the week currently. 

Obi Melifonwu. Just NO! Physical marvel. Third round talent. Tapes not great at all. But he sure works out well in shorts. (And doesn't play anything like that speed in pads.). 

John Ross. That injury history man. Malcolm Kelly MKII. 

Allen could quite possibly fall in love with any of those for various reasons. When it comes to this team, NOTHING is a slam dunk. 

@Koolblue13 I think I was very subtly reserved there on CC. I wanna cookie! :P

Hail. 

Ok, just for fun - these are not in any order. This assumes guys like Garrett, Adams, Fournette, Lattimore are gone no matter what happens to QBs.: 

Unlikely to be there but if a lot of QBs go early:

OJ Howard - TE Alabama

Malik Hooker - S Ohio St.

Jonathon Allen - DE Alabama

Hassan Reddick - OLB Temple

Could be there and would be happy to have:

Christian McCaffery - RB Stanford

Charles Harris - OLB Missouri

Garrett Bolles - OT Utah

Corey Davis - WR Western Michigan

Marlon Humphrey - CB Alabama

Could be there and would be OK:

Dalvin Cook - RB Florida State

Rueben Foster - OLB Alabama

Ryan Ramczyk - OT Wisconsin

Forrest Lamp - OG Western Kentucky

Jarrad Davis - LB Florida

There are several more but this is the short list. Kind of hard to make a mistake here - he says hopefully.

Not interested:

Jabrill Peppers - SS? Michigan

Joe Mixon - RB Oklahoma

Caleb Brantley - DT Florida

Any QB

@Gibbs Hog Heaven That was impressive, but I'm not giving you a cookie until you completely stop mentioning Peppers.

You know why :D

2 minutes ago, LightningBuggs said:

I'm going with a trade back to 25+ and the pick is Adoree Jackson.

Just have a hunch that a CB will be the pick tonight.  I think the Skins are looking for Breeland's replacement.

When he delivers a big hit, would you call it Adoree Bull?

1 minute ago, LightningBuggs said:

I'm going with a trade back to 25+ and the pick is Adoree Jackson.

Just have a hunch that a CB will be the pick tonight.  I think the Skins are looking for Breeland's replacement.

Heck of a return guy. Word is Dallas are mighty high on him and he shone as one of their 30.

Personally not that high on him. But I get why folk want a LB or corner. Just the more I think on it, I personally think in this pass-driven league of today, our best bet is a stud edge rusher or disruptive interior lineman with our first. A game changer up front. Drafts deep in quality corners. Edge rushers will of dropped off in top quality by our second rounder. 

Hail. 

11 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

@Gibbs Hog Heaven That was impressive, but I'm not giving you a cookie until you completely stop mentioning Peppers.

You know why :D

*also @wilco_holland .....

I know why. *Hangs head.

Then swap our Peppers for Tim Williams. 

Ridiculous talent. Even bigger talent for getting high! 

'The more you dig, the more you find, the more you get scared!' - That was from an unnamed NFC East scout. The dude is worse than Randy Gregory! Which although impressive in a laid back Islander kind of World (see what I did there? :P), kind of ISN'T in the NFL one. By all accounts he's like a kid in a candy store and just can't stop! 

NOW do I get the cookie? :taz:

Hail. 

Some people ask me why I love the draft. It's just list of player. You can just watch the list after the draft. 

Why I love it. It's hours of excitement. You did you own 'scouting work' and want to see if you where right. You try to predict what people will do and stuff. 

...but beside that you see peoples dreams come true. The emotion when people get drafted is just great. It are not just 'pawns' in chess game, it are young human beeings. 

If you don't understand that, watch this http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-draft/0ap3000000801756/Best-ever-draft-moments 

I really hope Cleveland picks Trubisky #1.  That may lead to another QB or two being drafted before the Redskins pick, which may allow a defensive stud to fall in the Redskins' lap.  If not a defensive stud, maybe a potentially great offensive player will drop to them.

Otherwise, I'm fearful of what the Redskins might do if the pick is not a no-brainer.

4 minutes ago, wilco_holland said:

Some people ask me why I love the draft. It's just list of player. You can just watch the list after the draft. 

Why I love it. It's hours of excitement. You did you own 'scouting work' and want to see if you where right. You try to predict what people will do and stuff. 

...but beside that you see peoples dreams come true. The emotion when people get drafted is just great. It are not just 'pawns' in chess game, it are young human beeings. 

If you don't understand that, watch this http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-draft/0ap3000000801756/Best-ever-draft-moments 

I agree with all you said and I would add that for me that outside the last few yrs, the 20+ before that the draft was the only fun part of the season. It led to hope - that invariably was crushed when the season started. But at least it provided hope.

3 minutes ago, wilco_holland said:

..... The emotion when people get drafted is just great. It are not just 'pawns' in chess game, it are young human beeings. 

A fantastic story to add to that:

http://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/nfl/10851485/jermaine-eleumunors-road-to-the-draft

Hail. 

Football players...meaning, guys I've seen play and listened to who I know are 'football players'-

Adoree Jackson

Reuben Foster

Jabrill Peppers

OJ Howard

Jarrad Davis

Jamal Adams

Forrest Lamp

Budda Baker

I'd be thrilled to have any of these guys. Unfortunately, we are gonna end up with TJ Watt

1 minute ago, wilco_holland said:

freaking Skysports..

This video is not authorized in your location

****ERS! Soz guys. Just the fantastic story of a family moving to the States to give a young lad a chance to fulfil his dreams after he fell in love with football after stumbling across it on TV a decade back. 

Hail. 

We need to have Deshaun Watson fall to 17.  Texans would certainly trade up to get him.  We would get their 3rd and still get Davis, Watt, etc. Could then trade up in 2nd with extra ammo and get Mixon or Cook maybe or even McDowell.  Six players in the top 4 rounds sounds good to me.  We need the help.  Especially on D.  

1 hour ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

Cooley's was banging on the last time I heard him about McDowell's attitude and taking plays off. Which coming from the uber laid back, happy-go-lucky Chris Cooley who was FAR from the consummate pro I found a tad ironic. Although he did always go hard Sundays.  

Better hand placement and learning to use his power as much as his quickness would help there. I don't see how that's difficult to really change personally. Just better coaching on technique on where his pad level needs to be. But for someone that size, to have his ridiculous athletic gifts with a very good understanding as per his coaches of what it takes to play along the line on different schemes I personally don't think you can go that far wrong. 

Hail. 

I was just watching Takkarist McKinley's college coach, Mora, (a player I recall you like) selling him on NFL AM as being a great guy, hard worker, leader.  We've seen college coaches and teammates go to bat for guys under siege like Cook and Foster.  I'd feel better if someone stepped out for McDowell (a coach a teammate) or for that matter he was good at articulating his own case.   McDowell is meh as an interview IMO compared to other prospects under siege.

I'd have loved to see some third party credibility about McDowell the person.  It seems to me conspicuously absent -- unless I missed it.  To me the proof will be in the pudding today as for where he gets drafted.  Not saying that McDowell can't defy his critics and succeed -- but IMO drafting especially in the first round involves playing the odds and I don't think this team can afford to draft someone that's considered boom-bust.  

7 hours ago, wilco_holland said:

I don't disagree but when multiple teams between 15-25 would be interested in him. Then he would not be a reach. Then it would probally be in range. 

I also felt 17 little high for Davis. But when I broke my board down it was not like the difference between my 17th guy and 40 guy is really that huge. Does group of players are all pretty close. So I would be okay if you then would "reach" on my board.   

The issue to me is before this week he was rated as a mid to low 2d suddenly he is mid 1st. Teams will throw out smoke screens to get other teams to blow their picks with reaches. Remember Betts rated as a 5th round - Skins took him in the 2d turned out he really was a 5th rounder.

9 minutes ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

I wasn't saying I'd read any of his coaches attesting to his character Sip. don't misunderstand me. 

Just his football nounce in understanding different defences/ opposing offensive fronts. 

Hail. 

I got you.  For me on McDowell I don't deny his talent.  But if the dude has personality issues as many have suggested.  I'd like to see some advocates defending him on that count.  For example, since one of the drills is he's not an easily coachable player and someone said (forgot whom) that he was not per se loved in the locker room... I recall one said they'd pay a rival team in their division to draft him.  The idea that he's a bad interview, likes to cast blame on others.   A lot of noise on McDowell that I don't like. 

It could all be BS.  But I don't really see any defense team on his behalf.  I'd love to hear his coach defend him and say that's BS or a teammate come out and swear by him.  I've looked for it, maybe they did defend him but I haven't found anything.  

For Dalvin Cook and Reuben Foster for example they have some vocal defenders -- coaches, teammates, etc.  

You got me if Malik is a stud regardless of all of this.  But for me I'd like to play the odds in the first round.  I'd feel night and day different about drafting Malik in the 2nd round.    Though I do agree with certain people on this board on a lot of points (including yourself) about this draft -- but this is just one guy I can't get into. :)

3 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I'm going to assume Adams, Thomas, Garrett, Fournette, and Hooker are all of the board.

My wish list is the same as it was in January:

If we think a deal with Kirk is a long shot:

1 - Watson

If we think a deal is going to get done

1 - McCaffrey

2 - McDowell

3 - Peppers

4 - Williams

Guys I would be perfectly fine with at 17 instead

1 - Foster

2 - Lamp

4 - Allen

5 - Howard

6 - Humphrey

7 - Davis

Guys I could live with at 17, but who would make me nervous

1 - Ross

2 - Charlton

3 - Ramczyk

4 - Cook

5 - Reddick

6 - Watt

Do not want

1 - Barnett

2 - Mixon

3 - Brantley

A deal with Kirk may be difficult but it is not a long shot- If we draft a QB in the first 2 rds it then becomes a long shot.

Archived