Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2017 Comprehensive NFL Draft Thread

Dukes and Skins

39 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I think McDowell is the winner of the most polarizing prospect discussed here. :)  Funny he plays right into the boom-bust dialogue of the draft geeks about him.  Some say boom here, some say bust.  For me I cringe every time I see his name.  I don't think I've ever invested so much time knocking a prospect.  And some here love the dude.  So differing opinions.  No way to know whose right until next season.  He will be fun to watch for that reason alone. :)

That reminds me we should all tomorrow (like last season) give our final picks, maybe even add who we don't want.   See who gets the guy they want.

The guys I would want the most would be Jonathan Allen or Haason Reddick. 

37 minutes ago, skins2victory said:

This is part of what I posted yesterday. Yeah its pretty optimistic. But my feeling is 17 is a spot where reaching could be very likely. Lets not take the risk, trade back and acquire more picks. The second round looks to be stacked with solid football players. I want to see us active on Friday.

Round 1.

At pick #17. The Redskins trade down with Miami for pick #22, and second round pick #54

At pick #22. The Redskins trade down with Pitt for pick #30, and second round pick #62

At pick #30 the Washington Redskins select T.J Watt OLB

You're getting 3rds in those trades, not 2nds

Mike Mayock has released his first mock draft of the NFL draft season a night before draft day. A guy with a lot of inside sources, he usually helps project - to an extent - an accurate depiction of the draft.

Here's his full draft for your enjoyment:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000802870/article/2017-mike-mayock-mock-draft-two-qbmotivated-trades

Some things of interesting note:

• --Fournette goes to the Jaguars at 4, an unlikely scenario based on the numerous rumors I'm hearing.  Panther forum resident with connections to an NFL scout has made it very clear that his NFL scout source says that it's between OJ Howard, Cam Robinson, QB Deshaun Watson, and a D-line prospect. The Chicago Tribune reports back up this statement. A RB will be likely taken in the later rounds, as their GM has "gone out of his way to defend them," so it's very unlikely Fournette goes to them ahead of us.
  • --Browns trade up to 5; Titans down to 12. Browns get their QB while Titan's get John Ross, a surprise pick imo.
  • --S Malik Hooker falls all the way to 19. Not a good thought considering he's one of my highly rated safeties, and I do not want to see him in the NFC South at all
  • --OJ Howard is picked up by the Jets at 6. Woah.
  • --Chargers get DE Solomon Thomas. A huge steal.
  • --As expected, the SF 49ers are sold on Jamal Adams. The NFL Scout reported that even if Garrett falls, there's a possibility they'd still pass on him for Adams. Interesting to say the least.
  • --Deshaun Watson falls to 25.
  • --Redskins Get Takkarist McKinley, a solid grab

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I like both but forced to choose, Dalvin Cook.

Keim isn't a BSer so if he's saying the pick is predicated on what he's hearing from the Redskins, I believe it.  Now they can be purposely misleading Keim but who knows.  I was just listening to a segment from a Philly reporter who covers the Eagles, he is saying the Eagles love Harris and he thinks their pick might be him or Ross.  Mccaffrey if he drops but he doubts he does.

Keim has mentioned once on twitter and also in that article in potential interest in Reuben Foster.  Mike Jones said the same today.  There might be something to that.

The Charles Harris buzz around the league has been out there in recent days -- what its driven by, you got me.  

Seems like teams are being linked to certain players that I'd expect to go later, but that could easily be only in a trade back scenario (or everything goes perfectly wrong for that team).  Could also be a 2nd round option.  Hoping that's the case with the 'Skins Harris connection.  

Harris buzz could also be to try to get a team to bite on him early, or trade up for him.  Who knows.  

Interesting tweet on Davis.  Unlike most of the other ILBs in this draft, from what I have heard is he is a true team captain/playcaller.  So I guess someone has to choose between a heat seeking missle and your leader of the defense.  I havent seen any tape of him, but if what people have said is true, it looks like he may be the less shiny, but better player in the long run of the 1st round ILBs.

I think regardless this may be a talent heavy 1st round for ILBs.  It may never be a good time to need an ILB, but if it existed, this would be it.

1 hour ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

You're getting 3rds in those trades, not 2nds

Agreed.  And frankly?  I don't care so much about trade value.  As long as there are guys you want (where you're trading back to), any additional picks can/will help in a deep draft (and with so many short and long term needs*).  

* still talking bpa though

27 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

God damn, I know we have a ton of needs, but I can't remember the last time we had a real MLB field general leading our defense.  Unquestioned captain that everything is shaped and built around. A true 80's style Bruiser.

The middle has been such a weakness for so long and its painful to watch. I wish we could just draft Davis and not worry about the face of our D for a decade.

It would really, really suck to see us reach on a guy in such a good draft...I just really hope we take someone generally considered to be a potential stud. Not some weird pick that we fall in love with and overdraft for some reason, as we've done both with and without McCloughan in the last few years. 

After listening to Portis this morning on 980 raving about Cook, I might have flip flopped on him again. I think the fumbling can be corrected, just hope he grows out of hanging out with the bad influence crowd. His explosiveness and HR hitting ability is surely needed in this offense, especially with Jackson gone.

6 minutes ago, lavar1156 said:

I don't know much about Barnett. Is he considered elite? 

He was super productive at Tennessee. I was in Tennessee when he single handedly whooped the Gators and was the main reason why they won. 32 sacks in 3 years is pretty incredible. To answer your question, if he was more athletic he would most definitely be considered elite. 

His pros:

Productive

Work ethic

Motor

His cons: 

Not athletic

Short arms

Lack of pass rush moves

Basically he's the exact type of player we've drafted in past years, which would be a problem. He's a safe, low ceiling, try hard, high motor guy. He wouldn't be bad but we have that guy already and its all we seem capable of drafting. We need game changers.

Also: It really does not make me feel good to see McGinn give us McKinley in his one mock draft of the year---that dude is seriously plugged in. 

Of course, he's falling for the Trubisky at #1 stuff hook, line, and sinker so maybe he's losing his touch.

4 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Basically he's the exact type of player we've drafted in past years, which would be a problem. He's a safe, low ceiling, try hard, high motor guy. He wouldn't be bad but we have that guy already and its all we seem capable of drafting. We need game changers.

Definitely, he actually kind of reminds me of Junior Galette with a lot less pass rushing moves and back when he was healthy. He may be capable of big years but seems like the guy who outsmarted his college opponents but it won't get him by in the NFL. Seems like a solid 7 - 9 sack a year guy to me. He won't bust, but he won't boom. 

I have a feeling the Redskins are not going to get an opportunity to draft a defensive stud at #17.  If they stay a #17, I hope they draft Jarrad Davis or the best skill position player on offense.  My druthers, however, would be for them to trade back and pick up an additional pick or two then pick up the best player available. 

I'm admittedly bias, being a Gators fan, but I've wanted to draft Jarrad Davis for the last year.  Been hoping to get him in the 2nd, but wouldn't blink an eye if we grabbed him at 17.  Dude flies, and lives football.

1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

After listening to Portis this morning on 980 raving about Cook, I might have flip flopped on him again. I think the fumbling can be corrected, just hope he grows out of hanging out with the bad influence crowd. His explosiveness and HR hitting ability is surely needed in this offense, especially with Jackson gone.

I certainly think he's a good RB and he's exciting to watch, but I'm just worried about his injuries and the people he apparently hangs with. Hopefully he'll be smart enough to change the company he keeps once he's a millionaire. I'm more partial to Mixon personally for various reasons but they're both great, but their games are different. I think my pro comparisons would be:

Mixon: Le'Veon Bell

Cook: Jamaal Charles

If they ended up actually being like those guys I'd take either in a heartbeat. :)

7 minutes ago, Poman said:

I'm admittedly bias, being a Gators fan, but I've wanted to draft Jarrad Davis for the last year.  Been hoping to get him in the 2nd, but wouldn't blink an eye if we grabbed him at 17.  Dude flies, and lives football.

I love that when he tackles, forward progress is immediately stopped. I'm hoping we get him, he doesn't seem like a reach at all and I can't think of a single box he doesn't check. 

Archived