Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2017 Comprehensive NFL Draft Thread

Dukes and Skins

24 minutes ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

Which would be worse, the Redskins selecting a QB in round 1 or another receiver? I think i'd flip a table over both honestly. 

QB would be worse -  A lot worse. 

13 minutes ago, Poman said:

I'm admittedly bias, being a Gators fan, but I've wanted to draft Jarrad Davis for the last year.  Been hoping to get him in the 2nd, but wouldn't blink an eye if we grabbed him at 17.  Dude flies, and lives football.

Late reports lead to reaches. Davis would be a reach in the 1st imo.

If you want to see something funny, watch Voch Lombardi's film session on Joe Mixon on youtube. He freakin' LOVES the guy. He's practically hyperventilating through half of the video. He's actually pretty good at breaking down game tape though. The things that he raves about are the things I really love about Mixon too: footwork, balance, vision. He's completely off base though when he talks about how he isn't as fast a Cook....after the pro day and combines we know he is. I think Cook might look faster sometimes because Mixon is a longer strider but they have the same speed and burst.

Dalvin Cook. The dude is a baller and a threat to score every time he touches the ball. Would be stoked with the pick. The off field stuff isn't a big concern for me. 

Rueben Foster. A missile. Would pick him at 17 above Cook, just because of our needs. 0 concerns with the X's and O's chalkboard stuff. Footballs not played on a chalk board. Instincts.

One of these two would be my pick, if we pass on either of these guys, it will be a shame. 

2 hours ago, skinny21 said:

Agreed.  And frankly?  I don't care so much about trade value.  As long as there are guys you want (where you're trading back to), any additional picks can/will help in a deep draft (and with so many short and long term needs*).  

* still talking bpa though

I would trade from 17 to 30 and pick up 2 third rounders.  With good (not great, good) drafting, that's 5 starters replaced.  That'll put us in the paloffs next year.

1 hour ago, nonniey said:

Late reports lead to reaches. Davis would be a reach in the 1st imo.

I don't disagree but when multiple teams between 15-25 would be interested in him. Then he would not be a reach. Then it would probally be in range. 

I also felt 17 little high for Davis. But when I broke my board down it was not like the difference between my 17th guy and 40 guy is really that huge. Does group of players are all pretty close. So I would be okay if you then would "reach" on my board.   

3 second day players I really like - Desmond King - Iowa CB/FS, Isaac Asiata - Utah G, and Justin Evans - Texas A&M SS.

Would love to find these 3 on our roster when the draft is done!

If we pass on Cook & Mixon, I want Jamaal Williams - BYU RB. He's my sleeper right now, along with Nazair Jones - N.C. DT, & Dawuane Smoot - Illinois DE.

7 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

God damn, I know we have a ton of needs, but I can't remember the last time we had a real MLB field general leading our defense.  Unquestioned captain that everything is shaped and built around. A true 80's style Bruiser.

The middle has been such a weakness for so long and its painful to watch. I wish we could just draft Davis and not worry about the face of our D for a decade.

I agree, I hope we get a solid MLB...and you have been pounding the table for one for awhile now. I lnow NT is critical in a 3-4 but a beast at the defense helm is also critical IMO.

We need some nasty and attitude. Our defense is weak and lacks passion.

PS...Happy draft day gentlemen, thank God we made it! Ready for 8 pm!!!

1 minute ago, RedBeast said:

I agree, I hope we get a solid MLB...and you have been pounding the table for one for awhile now. I lnow NT is critical in a 3-4 but a beast at the defense helm is also critical IMO

Davis checks all the boxes and every other cliche for me.

He's disciplined in his gaps against the run.

He's a fiery leader.

He's fast in coverage. 

One of our biggest issues last year, was passes to the flat, over the middle and TE flys. Davis has the speed to stay with the Jordan Reed types that half the league will have after this draft.

He can also thump and blitz. You can't outrun him to the sidelines.

Davis, Tomlinson, King, Maye, Kittle. That's my hopeful draft board for rounds 1- 4.

I've wanted Lamp bad all through the process to add to a stud O-line. But given our overriding need on D, Takk McKinley or Malik McDowell please at 17. If we can drop back a couple of spots and still take either alls the better. 

Even if Takk is going on PUP for the first 6 games after the labrum surgery I'll happily wear that on a 5 year contract stud who's the second best edge rusher in the class for me behind the clearest overall number 1 Garrett since Andrew Luck. 

McDowell would just give SO many top quality options along that defensive front. Pure talent wise, he's one of the top 5 in the entire class IMHO. Without being privy to team interviews, I'm seriously not concerned at the some time immaturity and laziness from a 20 year old kid. His talent is off the charts mad. 

McKinley or McDowell at 17. Add Moreau at CB if he falls to 49 through injury. (Again, I'll take him missing a few games early for the stellar 10 year plus career he should have.). And then go get the top tackling machine at LB out of Ohio Blair Brown the third/ fourth and we got ourselves three genuine stud starters in all three phases of the D. 

If it played out like that I'd be beyond ecstatic. 

That's my ultimate wish list for the top three rounds anyways. 

Hail. 

*Edit* In fact give me Xavier Woods and Blair Brown either way round in the 3rd and 4th at safety and LB respectively and I'm calling that the best draft we've arguably ever had at this point in the process. 

I guess it's that time to make an official pick here. I am still going with Christian McCaffery. It's my hope and I have been saying it all along. I just do not see a back going in the top 10 before us. If for some reason he is not there I expect no trade partners and a slight reach in selecting TJ Watt which I would be very happy with as well. The big question here is who falls? I am going on a limb and saying Jonathan Allen. Do not know why but I just have a gut feeling that he does. We shall see. It's almost like Christmas or the very least a birthday with a stripper in a cake haha.

11 hours ago, actorguy1 said:

Your Pick 17 if the board set up this way

1. Myles Garrett

2.Jamal Adams

3.Marshon Lattimore

4.Jonathan Allen

5.Deshaun Watson

6.Mitchell Trubisky

7. Malik Hooker

8.Leonard Fournette

9. Solomon Thomas

10.Mike Williams

11. Derek Barnett

12. OJ Howard

13. Hasson Reddick

14.Christian McCaffery

15.Reuben Foster

16.Corey Davis

No decent trade down offers

The top tier of defense seem to be picked over -- I'd really consider someone like Lamp, and try to bundle something to trade up in the the second round to get one of the remaining quality defensive linemen.  Lamp could ensure the Skins have a really decent offensive line for many years.   Ross would also be BPA and excellent trade bait as a retroactive trade down offer -- because I can't imagine him sliding thst far back.

My prediction?  The Skins trade back, maybe even out of the first round, to pick up a bunch of lesser known DE , LB, and RB candidates -- who are cheaper to sign and might develop into decent NFL starters.

3 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

@Gibbs Hog Heaven I'm surprised you're high on McDowell. Lots of flags. I totally agree with you though, I think he's going to be absolutely dominant for a long time. He's my clear #2.

I just think a lot of it is down to an immature 20 year old who's relatively inexperienced in terms of football years. 

All the talk of the next Haynesworth when he gets paid I just don't buy. Once he get's a rocket up his ass and professional coaching he'll mature soon enough. 

Hail. 

*Edit* And agreed. Along with Howard, he's my top ranked talent the draft behind Garrett. 

1 minute ago, benskins26 said:

I'm behind on the Tak talk- didn't even know who he was until this week. But he's less than 100% and we're considering reaching for him? I would lose my damn mind. 

I'd honestly be shocked if we drafted an injured player intentionally. 

1 minute ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

I just think a lot of it is down to an immature 20 year old who's relatively inexperienced in terms of football years. 

All the talk of the next Haynesworth when he gets paid I just don't buy. Once he get's a rocket up his ass and professional coaching he'll mature soon enough. 

Hail. 

Thats what I think. He's 20 and was played out of position and injured, while being far and away the best player on a very bad team.

Put him with some pros and a great coach and see what he can do.

3 minutes ago, benskins26 said:

I'm behind on the Tak talk- didn't even know who he was until this week. But he's less than 100% and we're considering reaching for him? I would lose my damn mind. 

1 minute ago, Koolblue13 said:

I'd honestly be shocked if we drafted an injured player intentionally. 

Bigger picture. We're not in a 'win now' scenario in 2017. 

So even if, worse case, he went on PUP for the first 6 games, you have him on the 5th year option. 

I'll personally take that duration of top rush production that bar a disaster you'd get from the initial contract over missing a handful at the start. 

Hail. 

11 minutes ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

Bigger picture. We're not in a 'win now' scenario in 2017. 

So even if, worse case, he went on PUP for the first 6 games, you have him on the 5th year option. 

I'll personally take that duration of top rush production that bar a disaster you'd get from the initial contract over missing a handful at the start. 

Hail. 

How are we not in a win now mode? Our QB, WR1 and best LB are all on 1 year deals, along with a slew of other players.

We are absolutely in win now mode. We've either been in the playoffs or right there for two years and looking to take the next step IMO. 

Do I think we are good enough? That's a different question, but I do think this is the last year we have a shot for a little while.

26 minutes ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

Hail. 

*Edit* And agreed. Along with Howard, he's my top ranked talent the draft behind Garrett. 

Maybe, but why take a chance on it?  There are other fishes in the sea.   And according to some of his critics part of his problem is he doesn't take to coaching well.  So Tomsula taking over this dude and transforming him like its the Karate Kid -- I wonder if the student is willing enough or smart enough (bad Wonderlic score) to succeed like that -- guys including Cooley say he had bad technique and doesn't come off like a guy who is smart as to how he approaches the game.

And teams have a lot more information on this guy than we do.  If this guy is this bonanza player that you just got to tweak a little -- wouldn't the dude by zooming up, not inching down on the draft boards as the draft approaches?   Maybe he quietly is zooming up and it would be one of the surprises of the draft, will see.  If McDowell's stock ends up a surprise today and he goes high in the draft -- that would reassure me otherwise I'd assume there is something to the concerns we keep hearing about him. 

3 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

How are we not in a win now mode? Our QB, WR1 and best LB are all on 1 year deals, along with a slew of other players.

We are absolutely in win now mode. We've either been in the playoffs or right there for two years and looking to take the next step IMO. 

Do I think we are good enough? That's a different question, but I do think this is the last year we have a shot for a little while.

Yer think? I see us as still in the development stage and being very draft dependent as to the personnel decisions to determine where that all leads. 

Still too many significant holes, not least in much of any quality depth, along with the coaching uncertainty with the new guys, to be thinking about winning now, right now, IMHO. 

Hail. 

Crazy thought of the day ...

- Cleveland drafts Mitch Trubisky at #1 ...

- San Francisco trades #2 and #34 to Washington for Kirk Cousins (maybe a pick next year)

- Redskins draft Myles Garrett #2

- Redskins draft Jonathan Allen #17

- Redskins draft Cooks/Mixon #34

- Redskins draft QB at #49 (Peterman, Webb) assuming a late 1st run on QBs wipes Watson, Kizer, Mahomes off the board and presuming that we don't trade back into the 1st with #34 for one of those QBs

Also possible ... don't draft a QB until the 3rd or 4th in Dobbs/Kaaya or one of the above in Peterman/Webb who fall. But if we trade away Cousins, my guess would be that we address a QB earlier rather than later, and get the guy we want rather than hope he's there a round later. 

Crazy?

Lose Cousins ... start the rebuild ... hope you hit on one of the mid-tier QBs, hand the keys to Colt for a year ... or maybe bring in Cutler ... revamp the defense ... and come away with arguably 2 of the Top 3-4 defenders in the draft and a franchise RB. 

Archived