Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2017 Comprehensive NFL Draft Thread

Dukes and Skins

So whats everyone take on the Gareon Conley situation? How far does he drop considering a verdict on the accusations won't come to light until after the draft?

If its another La'el Collins situation I would gladly use one of our two 7th rounders to obtain his rights to avoid the bidding war in UDFA. Worst case scenario we could cut him if the accusations are true, best case we get a 1st round talent for pennies.

12 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

That makes me wary as well.  But I honestly wouldn't be surprised if that "anonymous scout" is on a team with a late first-round pick that badly wants McDowell to fall. 

From what I've read it was multiple teams saying he was really bad in interviews. But that's obviously still 2nd or 3rd hand, but generally where there's smoke there's fire.

Just now, DC Lumber Co. said:

So whats everyone take on the Gareon Conley situation? How far does he drop considering a verdict on the accusations won't come to light until after the draft?

If its another La'el Collins situation I would gladly use one of our two 7th rounders to obtain his rights to avoid the bidding war in UDFA. Worst case scenario we could cut him if the accusations are true, best case we get a 1st round talent for pennies.

From what I've read so far, I'd be willing to take the risk and draft him.  But the problem with using our 7th on him is that his agent can easily do what Collins' agent did - that is, make it clear to all 32 teams that if his client isn't drafted in the first 3 or 4 rounds, he will sit out the 2017 season and re-enter the draft next year.  Teams aren't willing to just waste a pick like that, which is why Collins was able to hit UDFA. 

I'd be willing to use our 3rd on him based off what I know so far.  Hopefully the team knows a lot more than I do though, and can make a more informed decision. 

1 hour ago, DC Lumber Co. said:

I agree. But his attitude really can't be overstated, what it would bring to the defense is so valuable.

One way to eliminate the log-jam of "try hard" types at OLB would be to have him (or any pass rusher we draft this year for that matter) take the place of either Trent Murphy or Preston Smith if we move one of them to DE. Trent's 4 game suspension might be the perfect opportunity for him to complete the transition we started last offseason.

I can get into that, the team IMO needs personalities like that.

1 hour ago, DC Lumber Co. said:

I'm in the camp of liking Mixon over Cook if its between the two. If for no other reason than the value of getting Mixon in the 2nd. Just don't believe in using a 1st on a RB, especially in Grudens offense. 

And just playing devils advocate here SIP, does Casserly's comments give you confidence that Matt Jones could fix his fumbling issues as well, if what he says is true?

I'd be ecstatic if thats the case and Grudens comments on the "special backs" are just a smoke screen for trade down bait.

Casserly's comment (and he's not the only guy who echoed this point) that great college backs, tend to fix that problem in the pros.  Matt Jones wasn't a great college back.  As for whether Jones can fix it or not, I suspect he could but I don't really care.  My issue with Matt Jones is he isn't consistent-explosive enough for my taste.  If Jones put up 2300 yards (passing-rushing combined), I'd be fine with him losing 4 fumbles like Cook did.  As I've said on this thread before, Matt Jones fumbling issues IMO is amplified because of the fact that he's not a game breaking running back thus far in his career.  It's not like Jones is great but if only he would cure his fumbling issues.  As someone pointed here, Elliot had a fumbling problem last year, no one talks about it because he was explosive.  Peterson throughout most of his career has had fumbling issues but his production has been so good, its not really talked about.

I am ok with Mixon over Cook but I suspect Mixon is the harder get unless you use the first round pick on him.  I am doubting Mixon falls to the mid-2nd round.  I guess will see.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/draft-why-redskins-may-target-safety-in-2017-nfl-draft/

Even with the addition of D.J. Swearinger (from Arizona) and the potential shift of Su’a Cravens to safety, the Redskins could look to add extra help in the secondary to utilize Swearinger and Cravens’ strengths inside the box.

58 minutes ago, DC Lumber Co. said:

I think the Collins situation and the fact that the Cowboys got a steal makes it more likely that someone pulls the trigger on day three, at least.

I wouldn't have an issue if the team were to pick him if they are prepared to cut him immediately if he is charged in this case.

Mike Jones was on the radio just now, but I was doing something so didn't catch it all, from what I caught he thinks they'd like to trade down, and among the players they like, Reuben Foster.  I missed the other names he threw out there.  Keim said on twitter yesterday in an exchange that he knows they like Foster among other guys.

Sports Illustrated

https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/04/26/nfl-draft-order-trade-rumors-team-needs?xid=socialflow_twitter_si

17. Washington Redskins: The 49ers’ No. 2 pick looks like a pivot point early in Round 1; the Redskins’ slot at 17 could fill the same role for the back half of the draft. If fewer than three QBs are gone by this point, and Washington does not want a QB itself, it’ll be time to get on the phone with the likes of Houston and Kansas City.

More likely to trade ... down. “Hey, Houston, that quarterback you ordered is in stock if you want to come pick it up.”

9 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I seriously doubt mixon sees round two.

Also, with the way edge rushers and offensive skill players fly up the draft, during the draft, I would imagine Riddick, Foster, McCaffery, Cook, Mixon and Fournette may all go before 17.

Mostly agree.  I'd be slightly surprised if Cook goes before #17 but maybe so if the Eagles are interested as some say.  I'd be surprised if Mixon goes before our pick, too.  But I can see him drafted in the later part of the first round.

Yeah I agree that we are in great spot to trade down. QB, WR, OT, RB, DE/OLB, LB are all positions I could see people want to trade for. To jump in front of teams that might want to grab one. 

But I expect nothing. It also sucks a little. I mean...draft starts 2 a.m. local time. Our pick will be around 4 a.m. It then soooo sucks if we trade out of the first round ?. 

6 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

A PFF guy on 980 was just asked about the Redskins at #17.  His thought is if Foster falls it would be likely tempting for them.  the other players he liked for their pick, Dalvin Cook and Hasson Reddick.

I could get on board with those.  

If they trade down lets say #25.  What are the next leg of prospects, I wonder.  These are the guys that pop in my head where they might be interested.

Adoree Jackson -- they met with him and Adoree's comments indicated they hit it off well.

Charles Harris:  Keim indicated they are potentially interested

Takkarist McKinley:  if they love pass rushers, he's another

Jordan Willis:  they met with him

M. Humphrey:  if he falls this far, he might be intriguing

TJ Watt:  they met with him, pass rusher

Dalvin Cook:  maybe he drops this far

Budda Baker:  fits a need but is it too early for him?

Malik Mcdowell:  I think he's still available, less of a risk since they picked up another pick in trading down?

I have to think about it some more but on first blush, my top choices would be in that case:

1. Cook

2. Watt

3. Baker

1 minute ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

@Skinsinparadise I'd add Tyus Bowser

I thought about him but wonder if 25 is a tad too high but yeah maybe so and they did meet with him.  Sounds like there is a shot they trade down so I am orienting myself for some of the potential players around then.   Also wonder if Mixon is in play at #25 if he is still there and I think he likely is

Just now, Skinsinparadise said:

I thought about him but wonder if 25 is a tad too high but yeah maybe so and they did meet with him.  Sounds like there is a shot they trade down so I am orienting myself for some of the potential players around then.   Also wonder if Mixon is in play at #25 if he is still there and I think he likely is

Cant recall the article that suggested Bowser would break the top 25.

I think we'll have trade back options from 20 through 27/28 easily. I'd strongly consider trading back for an extra 2 or 3 plus I'd consider combining our 5 and a 6 (even a 7) to jump back into the 4th. 

7 picks through the first 4 rounds is very achievable at marginal cost.

13 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

Cant recall the article that suggested Bowser would break the top 25.

I think we'll have trade back options from 20 through 27/28 easily. I'd strongly consider trading back for an extra 2 or 3 plus I'd consider combining our 5 and a 6 (even a 7) to jump back into the 4th. 

7 picks through the first 4 rounds is very achievable at marginal cost.

Agree its possible about Bowser.  Was just watching Garafalo who is covering the Redskins draft for the NFL Network, his sense is the Redskins go pass rusher with the first pick and then D line later on.  

For the record, I think Trubisky is gonna be a really good QB in the league.  I'm biased, but I've seen some film breakdowns done on him by UNC guys and I really like his mental makeup.  He's a gamer.  He can make all the throws.  Did he make some mistakes?  Of course.  But he only got to start for one season.

I think he has the awareness to read defenses, get through his progressions, and deliver the ball on time and where it needs to go.  He's from Ohio, so I think he'd be a great fit for the Browns.  I think Hue Jackson could mold him into a nice player.

Your Pick 17 if the board set up this way

1. Myles Garrett

2.Jamal Adams

3.Marshon Lattimore

4.Jonathan Allen

5.Deshaun Watson

6.Mitchell Trubisky

7. Malik Hooker

8.Leonard Fournette

9. Solomon Thomas

10.Mike Williams

11. Derek Barnett

12. OJ Howard

13. Hasson Reddick

14.Christian McCaffery

15.Reuben Foster

16.Corey Davis

No decent trade down offers

I don't want to say it. But if the Browns are planning on taking Mitch. They must not think he gets past the 49ers. Soooo if that scenario plays out....I'm not saying it will happen or should happen. But I'd be happy trading back to #3 with the bears and taking Fournette..and whatever else comes...Okay I'm going to go hide now.

35 minutes ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

For the record, I think Trubisky is gonna be a really good QB in the league.  I'm biased, but I've seen some film breakdowns done on him by UNC guys and I really like his mental makeup.  He's a gamer.  He can make all the throws.  Did he make some mistakes?  Of course.  But he only got to start for one season.

I think he has the awareness to read defenses, get through his progressions, and deliver the ball on time and where it needs to go.  He's from Ohio, so I think he'd be a great fit for the Browns.  I think Hue Jackson could mold him into a nice player.

I tend to agree with you on Trubisky. The whole 12 games started thing is a concern. I hope the guy can go to a team where he can sit for a year before seeing the field to be honest. A year of learning at the NFL level would do him wonders.

31 minutes ago, actorguy1 said:

Your Pick 17 if the board set up this way

1. Myles Garrett

2.Jamal Adams

3.Marshon Lattimore

4.Jonathan Allen

5.Deshaun Watson

6.Mitchell Trubisky

7. Malik Hooker

8.Leonard Fournette

9. Solomon Thomas

10.Mike Williams

11. Derek Barnett

12. OJ Howard

13. Hasson Reddick

14.Christian McCaffery

15.Reuben Foster

16.Corey Davis

No decent trade down offers

I hope it doesn't fall that way... if it does... Then Id go

Harris DE or Cook RB or Mixon RB whom ever the team has the highest grade on..

Really hope that Reddick or Foster is sitting there at 17 and that Mixon or Cook are available with the #2.

A lot of meat in this from Keim, I took the excerpts that were interesting to me

http://www.espn.com/blog/washington-redskins/post/_/id/31076/why-the-did-you-pick-charles-harris-heres-why

In the NFL Nation mock draft, I selected defensive end/linebacker Charles Harris from Missouri for the Washington Redskins. It did not go over well. ESPN’s Bill Polian and Todd McShay gonged it; many on Twitter expressed dismay.

But let me explain.

And let me make this clear: It’s not as much because I’m in love with the player as much as what I’ve heard from multiple people about whom the Redskins like. 

...Will the Redskins actually take Harris? Impossible to know at this point. I do know he’ll be under strong consideration. I also know they want pass-rushers (it’s a deep draft for them and you don’t have to select one in the first round) and players who can help on third down. Think: Explosive plays. The guys I keep hearing connected to them have potential to make impact plays.

...Sports Illustrated’s Albert Breer also reported earlier this week that he heard the Redskins liked Harris.

In other words, Harris at No. 17 is not outlandish.

But there were definite mixed opinions when asking others in the league about him. One defensive coach for another team said Harris would be a “great player.” One executive thought he would be a late first-round pick.

Some will look at Harris and see production in a tough football conference -- nine sacks last season, seven the previous year. More often than not, Harris was a good yard ahead of his linemates after the snap. There have been times in the past when Redskins coach Jay Gruden will discuss a college pass-rusher and he’ll mention how much a player was ahead of his linemates after the snap. Harris does have a range of moves and turns the corner well.

But others will look at the metrics: He ran a 4.82 in the 40-yard dash; his splits on other drills at the combine weren’t good. There were times he was matched with Kansas State end/linebacker Jordan Willis in workouts and did not show well because the latter was faster, etc. Also, Harris needs to improve against the run.

If we could have traded in our mock, I would have. Had linebackers Haason Reddick or Reuben Foster fallen to 17, one of them would have been the choice. Both can have an impact on third downs in addition to playing every down...

Running back Dalvin Cook was a tempting choice. My sense is that a first-round running back would tempt them; otherwise I’d expect defense. The Redskins met with Cook at the combine and again at the facility.... For several years now, the Redskins have bypassed players with those sorts of red flags (and I know there are some in this draft they won’t take).

But they’re clearly doing a lot of homework on Cook, which tells you they like him -- enough to draft him ahead of others? Don’t know.

I still have a feeling someone they like more will drop to No. 17.

...But if the Redskins end up with Harris, don’t say you weren’t warned.

Archived