Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2017 Comprehensive NFL Draft Thread

Dukes and Skins

16 minutes ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

I can't believe we're trying to talk ourselves into believing Allen will be there when we pick.  We should all lay off the whippets. :) 

Or even better, some are trying to give cause for passing on him if by some miracle he does land in our laps.  Hahaha. This place is funny.

Only 2 days left gentlemen.  Just reading the last few pages of the thread, I guess I personally will be disappointed, because we are not talking about my guy at all.  Or should I be excited because they really want him, Foster that is.  The day before the draft, oh that is actually today, I would really like to look ak how could realistically be available at 17, forget about trades especially moving up, my God, that would be a disaster.  Moving down makes sense big time unless, me selfishly saying that Foster is there at 17.

Me personally, Allen, Reddick will be selected before 17.

In the end I just hope the FO does not mess this thing up.  Here is to hoping.

4 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Yep.  I've been fluctuating as for who behind Reddick but Reddick has been my top guy for awhile.   For the reason that I want a burner off the edge for the third down pass rush.  And love that Reddick could likewise rush off the middle.

The other guys I like and be happy with:  Reuben Foster (if his character checks out and they can deal with another Will LB), Dalvin Cook, Jarrad Davis, Derrick Barnett.   McCaffrey would be fine though doubt he drops.

I'd love Allen, Hooker, or Adams if one of them surprisingly drops and if they do they'd be my top choice. 

Among the players talked about here, the ones I don't want are: Malik McDowell, J. Peppers. I could maybe talk myself into Taco Charlton or Charles Harris but at the moment don't want either one. 

My #2 would be Foster if he passed physical and his shoulder(s) were OK.

2 hours ago, clskinsfan said:

To be honest I would be pretty much hate it at 17. Now if they plan to try to trade down then pick him I would fine with it. It also depends who falls to them at 17. Picking Harris over Allen, Barnett, Foster or Reddick would cause me to throw my remote through the TV.

100% agree. I'm just saying Harris wouldn't make me irate at 17 if worst case scenario happens. That being either 0 or 1 QBs are taken before our pick and 0 or 1 WRs are taken before our pick. Hopefully 2 teams before us have fallen in love with Bolles, Lamp, or Robinson. This stuff is giving me anxiety, less than 48 hours can't come soon enough man

51 minutes ago, skins2victory said:

Well see. His off the field issue will scare teams, the question is how much. I would feel comfortable with the risk in the 3rd, but probably not much before that. He should fall, again the question is how much?

Cook has more of a history of off field issues than Mixon does. Multiple run ins with the law since HS and up until recently. Mixon's issue is that his altercation in 2014 was so visible and so awful and well publicized that any team will surely have to weigh the PR implications of drafting him. However, he hasn't been in trouble since then and seems to take responsibility for it so I'm all for giving him a shot as I think otherwise he'd be a top 10 talent easily. He's so talented I just have a hard time seeing him getting past the 2nd round; some team will decide that having a guy that good for such a low price is worth it to take the chance, assuming they believe that he has truly turned himself around since 2014.

1 hour ago, DC Lumber Co. said:

Its funny considering Reddick's hype is based entirely around projected potential moving to ILB in the pros. Im assuming you meant he is the only one you think will actually hit his potential or something?

More that he is the one who suits a need for speed rush, & whose potential hits a more rare quality than what the other guys who are also labeled as "pass rushers" can claim in this draft.  

There are guys i like as project players, but none intrigue me the way Reddick does.

6 hours ago, GothSkinsFan said:

[Insert voice of Lana Kana from Archer]  So, it's Malik McDowell in the 1st and Joe Mixon in the 2nd.  Alright then.  ([Insert Archer voice] If they panned out, wow.)

Lol, my problem with McDowell is I kind of view him like a Westbrook, I don't know if his issues were mental make up and passion for the game like Westbrook, or just frustrations with losing and with what coaches were asking of him. If it's the former, it's a pass, if it's the latter, he can be worked with. I have zero issue taking Mixon, he's a scumbag or at least was one, but he wouldn't be close to the first to wear the Burgundy and gold, and if he helps us win, and doesn't engage in anything like that again, he'll be a huge asset for the franchise, especially if he comes at a round discount. 

So yeah, I'd take Mixon in a trade down, or later if I smelled a story that he'd fall further, but I would be a lot more skeptical with McDowell. My main point is that I'm not going to worry about issues with players unless I believe they run a reasonable risk of derailing the career of said player. I don't see such a problem with Mixon. McDowell, that's different.

1 hour ago, mistertim said:

Cook has more of a history of off field issues than Mixon does. Multiple run ins with the law since HS and up until recently. Mixon's issue is that his altercation in 2014 was so visible and so awful and well publicized that any team will surely have to weigh the PR implications of drafting him. However, he hasn't been in trouble since then and seems to take responsibility for it so I'm all for giving him a shot as I think otherwise he'd be a top 10 talent easily. He's so talented I just have a hard time seeing him getting past the 2nd round; some team will decide that having a guy that good for such a low price is worth it to take the chance, assuming they believe that he has truly turned himself around since 2014.

Have you seen what they were? BB gun stupidity. An incident that he was completely cleared of, and he tied up too many dogs for too long or something of that sort (I'm a dog guy so that pisses me off but I'm not gonna pretend it's in the same universe as what Chris Culliver did a short time before we signed him). There may be more incidents I can't remember, but the 3 most often mentioned were the punch that apparently never happened, a BB gun incident, and being a thoughtless idiot about his dogs.

If he has a bunch of idiots he rolls with, well, as Eric Davis said years ago, "you are who you roll with," so that's a bit of a problem, but in terms of the incidents I've heard reported, none of them that I've come across to this point are major. 

2 minutes ago, The Consigliere said:

Have you seen what they were? BB gun stupidity. An incident that he was completely cleared of, and he tied up too many dogs for too long or something of that sort (I'm a dog guy so that pisses me off but I'm not gonna pretend it's in the same universe as what Chris Culliver did a short time before we signed him). There may be more incidents I can't remember, but the 3 most often mentioned were the punch that apparently never happened, a BB gun incident, and being a thoughtless idiot about his dogs.

If he has a bunch of idiots he rolls with, well, as Eric Davis said years ago, "you are who you roll with," so that's a bit of a problem, but in terms of the incidents I've heard reported, none of them that I've come across to this point are major. 

Yeah I don't think they were huge incidents but it shows a consistent pattern over time. And yeah I've heard it is mostly that he hangs out with knuckleheads and gangbangers which is a problem too. What will happen when he has those friends and he's suddenly a millionaire?

Either way, I'd take Mixon over him anyway just from a pure talent standpoint. 

18 hours ago, Hail2theSkins24 said:

This would be so frickin ideal. Doubt Davis gets to 25 but even getting Harris while picking up an extra 2nd would just be fantastic

Davis should be available, want nothing to do with Harris, he would be a less talented pick of need, when we could get more talented players at other area's of need!! Which is also why we need pass rushers every draft! We have pass rushers in Kerrigan & Smith, McDowell would do wonders for their sack numbers if we put him at end!! Harris? Nothing special there!! I can think of about 30 players I would take ahead of him!!

18 hours ago, S.T.real,lights,out said:

Would say we have different guys making the pick now. One thing that we can always count on when Bruce is making the picks is be prepared to trade back. I 100% expect to trade back in the 1st and hopefully pick up a 3rd rounder. 

It will be tough to trade back this draft, but we have to avoid Bruce putting more value in 2 overvalued players, rather than 1 bonafide stud!!
The most talented player available....and the Redskins draft board, can be 2 entirely different things!! In other words: no confidence in Danny/Bruce, hopefully someone that knows something about football has a real say!

5 hours ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

I can't believe we're trying to talk ourselves into believing Allen will be there when we pick.  We should all lay off the whippets. :) 

If he is then there is a big problem with his shoulders and us being one of two teams to clear him, obviously still have the same doctors who cleared the comb.

Some of these great talents, Im really hoping other teams can help us not pick.

4 hours ago, mistertim said:

Yeah I don't think they were huge incidents but it shows a consistent pattern over time. And yeah I've heard it is mostly that he hangs out with knuckleheads and gangbangers which is a problem too. What will happen when he has those friends and he's suddenly a millionaire?

Either way, I'd take Mixon over him anyway just from a pure talent standpoint. 

Cook makes me think of the sad music thats played during the 30 for 30 shows he'll eventually be featured on.

Fumbles

Injuries 

Miles

He's about to get paid and be surrounded by scumbags. All it takes is one big stretch of injury down time, with money and the wrong people around him. 

Fisher says Cook was “tremendously” hard-working from the beginning: “He came in and acted like he was the lowest guy on the totem pole and he ended up being one of the hardest workers we ever had on this team.” 

Fisher says he would be genuinely surprised if Cook didn’t succeed in the NFL. He cited Cook’s maturity, and a unique understanding of and love for the game. He was also irked by the scout’s quote. “That’s why the guy’s a scout and not a coach,” Fisher says. “When you coach a guy you know a guy. He loves ball and he’s a good person.”...

Tony Villani is not the saboteur. He runs XPE Sports in Boca Raton, one of a handful of preferred South Florida training spots for NFL players and ex-collegians preparing for the combine. Cook arrived in January, committed to perfecting his burst from a three-point stance, something he never had occasion to improve over three years and 5,399 yards from scrimmage as a Seminole, breaking Warrick Dunn's career rushing record in the process. Cook showed up on time, he listened, and he learned, Villani says.

“I see a kid from inner-city Miami-Dade tearing up the field, and you’re expecting this ****y kid to walk in,” Villani says, “but he’s almost too humble and quiet. I’m sitting here trying to show Dalvin Cook how to put his foot in the ground and cut and do all these things, and he’s all about it.

“I loved him. When the top guy works as hard as he does, he makes your whole group better.”

Does Cook have past issues, sure. So does Mixon.  Mixon also has fumbling issues.  Casserly said a few days ago something to the effect of from what he's heard asking around Mixon -- he has other issues besides that incident.  I heard awhile back one other draft geek say the same -- something to the effect if the idea that Mixon is a great guy who just had one bad mishap one day -- that's not so from his intel but he hopes he turned the corner.  As for his shoulder issues as Cook said it well himself, it hasn't be that bad considering it didn't cost him to miss a single game.

I'd be cool with Cook or Mixon.   They both have red flags but they are electric.  If they didn't have those red flags we'd likely have no shot to draft them, they'd both go top 10 probably.  And to quote Casserly he has yet to see a really good running back not solve fumbling issues when they hit the pros.  For Cook specifically, he lost only 2 fumbles the season before.  He was careless last season.  He's on it, I've heard him speak about it.  I bet Mixon ditto.

20 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

RB has certainly grown on me a lot the last couple weeks. Depending on who we pass over for one, I'll probably be bummed on draft day about it, but warm up quickly.

For me in the process of doubling back and looking at Kelley -- it made me realize he didn't really have a great year.  Only one 100 yard game and that was the one where he had that long run at the end against GB.  He had no 100 yard games in college.  

I think there is something to the idea that Bruce said in an interview that they lost to the Giants because they couldn't run that day or stop the run.  People kill Kirk for the Carolina and NY Giants game but one thing both games had in common was they were one dimensional because Kelley was shut down.  

IMO one of these great backs in this draft and heck even one of the third round types like Hunt or Perine could make a big improvement.  Having said that I am torn because this draft is stacked on defense and we need defense.   I've spent a lot of time on the thread defending Cook but he's not my top pick at #17.

9 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

For me in the process of doubling back and looking at Kelley -- it made me realize he didn't really have a great year.  Only one 100 yard game and that was the one where he had that long run at the end against GB.  He had no 100 yard games in college.  

I think there is something to the idea that Bruce said in an interview that they lost to the Giants because they couldn't run that day or stop the run.  People kill Kirk for the Carolina and NY Giants game but one thing both games had in common was they were one dimensional because Kelley was shut down.  

IMO one of these great backs in this draft and heck even one of the third round types like Hunt or Perine could make a big improvement.  Having said that I am torn because this draft is stacked on defense and we need defense.   I've spent a lot of time on the thread defending Cook but he's not my top pick at #17.

THIS!  I completely agree we need an upgrade at RB but Perine is an upgrade, Mixon is an upgrade, heck Conner is probably an upgrade.  We can take a back later.  I'm off the round 1 RB train and I LOVE Cook, Mccaffrey and Fournette.  

Too many defensive needs and too many great defensive prospects to go the round 1 RB route.

4 minutes ago, 3 Rings said:

THIS!  I completely agree we need an upgrade at RB but Perine is an upgrade, Mixon is an upgrade, heck Conner is probably an upgrade.  We can take a back later.  I'm off the round 1 RB train and I LOVE Cook, Mccaffrey and Fournette.  

Too many defensive needs and too many great defensive prospects to go the round 1 RB route.

Round 3 looks to be the round to get CB/RB/DT/OG/C. Maybe even the 4rth as well. 

In the first, I really want Davis or McDowell. I think either of those two really changes our defense the most and they're marque players. I don't want to move that pick, unless its ahead of those ****sucking mother ****ing tieffin ass Colts because Riddick and Foster are gone and they're going to steal Davis from us.

I think our second might be the pick to go backwards with. Especially if it gets us more ammo to move around in the 3/4th rounds.

Archived