Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2016 Roster Thread (Building a Champion Edition) - Doct to IR - Mo Harris Up

DC9

It's easy to project weaknesses for the team, but some of those are really more unknown than weaknesses. Running back. The team made no effort in the off season to kick the tires on any back. No one was even really brought in. That suggests that the braintrust really sees something they like in Jones and Thomas. Maybe they are right? It's a little scary because other than a few good plays at the beginning of last year, Jones production hasn't been good and he's already gotten hurt at least twice. Still, the Redskins didn't bring in any vets in free agency and waited until the seventh round to throw a flier at a really, really raw guy. That suggests that there is no panic there.

On the Dline, McCloughan did what he did his first year which is to bring in a bunch of cheapish vets on prove-it contracts. Hopefully, some of them will.

Edit: Voice of Reason missed my joke. I still think he has it in for Heath Shuler.

1 hour ago, Burgold said:

It's easy to project weaknesses for the team, but some of those are really more unknown than weaknesses.

I like to look at the inverse... what are we built to do?

We're built to score a lot of points and hold the lead.  Which is why I'll be surprised if Bates is on the roster come Wednesday.  Secondary is alright, need that third pass rusher, though.

So with any luck, we won't have to worry about stopping the run consistently...

In his first year as GM, McCloughan:

Drafts a 16 game starter at guard.

Drafts an OLB who led all rookies in sacks.

Drafts a WR who beats Art Monk's franchise rookie receiving record.

Drafted a DB who if not for a freak career ending injury would probably be a starting safety this year.

Wait, what are we complaining about?

Biggest complaint this offseason continues after the 53 man roster is formed. RB position. Not happy we kept Sudfeld and let Brown walk. I wouldn't have done that and consider that a mistake.

Trying to get into the mind of the coaches I think part of the planning this year in regards to the RB position is partly due to the perceived talent in next years draft, not wanting to miss out on that but seriously I think we have a good pass catching RB in Thompson on 3rd downs and no one to use on first or second downs or even short yardage situations. 

Maybe the draft next year is why we completely ignored this position this year or maybe it was done this way because the team seriously wants to push Cousins this season and see if he's worth a big contract and you can't do that when your handing the ball off that much? Problem is when a teams got the lead the best thing for them to do is run the ball, milking the clock, and limiting turnovers but when your starting RB is averaging 3.3 yards per carry which was absolute dead last position last season for RB's with at least 100 carries on the season who do you really have to do that with? You don't. We need talent at this vital position and we kept a 3rd QB instead. 

So maybe they kept Sudfeld because they don't trust Cousins and are thinking they need to have a backup plan in case he absolutely sucks and they let him go next year and need someone to go with then? Problem with that is if that's the concern and thinking why tag Cousins this year and spend that money in the first place? And what about Sudfeld makes anyone outside of homers thinks that Sudfeld did enough this preseason to be worried he gets plucked off our practice squad? He didn't. He is like Anthony Mix, in that his best attribute is his size but between the ears and translating that to the football field? He's missing it. 

I get that they don't like to dump draft picks but hell I'd have rather kept the 5th rounder we just cut then to hang on too long to the 6th rounder that likely no one wants. Maybe they are all isolated and not considered together but they leave me scratching my head asking wth are they thinking. Fully expect to see more people getting the point we need a RB sooner rather then later here. Hail!

58 minutes ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

I shall preface this by saying I've not seen a lick of football, camp or exhibition, this summer; but my heart just sank for the 11th straight roster deadline day. 

11 straight years of Highway64. Even Sherlock couldn't solve that on-going mystery. 

Hail. 

*Edit* And Lichtensteiger survived again? Just ..... sighs. 

If it's any consolation, both look to have (hopefully) minor roles this year.

33 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Brown got screwed. You cant really put up any better tape than he did in this camp. I hope he catches on with somebody.

Yeah you can.  You can do it against starters.

2 minutes ago, DC9 said:

If it's any consolation, both look to have (hopefully) minor roles this year.

Yeah you can.  You can do it against starters.

You can only play who the coaches line you up against. I am sure we will try to sneak him onto the practice squad. It is s surprising how little value RB really has now in the league.

2 hours ago, LightningBuggs said:

Having a hard time understanding why they kept Sudfeld.  He's not going to contribute to this team in the near future and likely never will.  Prime candidate for the practice squad there.  No one else was going to pick him up.

He is the only QB on our roster under contract for 2017. I don't think Scotty McGem minds negotiating from a position of need, but not from a position of desperation.

2 hours ago, LightningBuggs said:

Having a hard time understanding why they kept Sudfeld.  He's not going to contribute to this team in the near future and likely never will.  Prime candidate for the practice squad there.  No one else was going to pick him up.

I have heard they really like Sudfeld - see him as a future backup and a guy they think might develop into someone who could be a starter. Not seen it myself but what do I know. As for not clearing waivers I tend to agree with you he would have made it through but there are a lot of teams out there who need help and depth at QB. Zach Mettenburg was picked up off waivers by the Steelers during the first cuts for example.

47 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

You can only play who the coaches line you up against. I am sure we will try to sneak him onto the practice squad. It is s surprising how little value RB really has now in the league.

There is a distinct difference between running into first team defense and running into third team defenses.

As I said after the game, LeRibeus looked like Russ Grimm out there, and LeRibeus was cut today.  Because he looked like Russ Grimm against other dudes who were cut today... and he looks bad against people who made 53 man rosters today.

Mack is serviceable and competent.  So are a lot of other backs.  Which is why we waived him, we can find a replacement pretty easily. 

Now, what you can tell about a RB against 3rd team defenses is whether or not they have the ability to run the ball in the NFL.  I think Mack Brown showed us he does, Keith Marshall has not yet. 

8 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

So, unless I'm mistaken, here's what's remaining from the Shanahan drafts:

2010: Trent Williams.  Perry Riley hung around until this year.  

2011: Kerrigan, Niles Paul.  Out of 12 picks.  

2012: Kirk Cousins.  Ribbs was cut this year.  

2013: Jordan Reed.  I'm pretty sure that's it.

That's 1 player on the team per draft, with the exception of 2011. which has 2.  This is what you would consider to be "bad."

Couple things here. 

While I agree with the overall sentiment of your post, you're missing a bit of context.

First, Shanahan's schemes were different so, by default, players that were drafted weren't going to automatically fit Gruden or Scot's profiles. So while I don't think what you're doing here is the worst way of looking at his drafts, it's a bit unfair. Guys like Helu, Adam Gettis, Compton and Morris, for instance, were better players in the ZBS. Keenan Robinson is more suited to a two-gapping front. 

Second, I wouldn't consider a guy like Perry Riley, who got a second contract here, as a negative in the draft column since he contributed pretty decently for a 4th round pick drafted in 2010. To get 6 seasons out of a 4th isn't too bad, so yeah, he's off the team now but it's hard for me to have an issue with that. 

Finally, and most importantly, when you factor into this the fact that 4 of these guys who remain on the team are inarguably our best players (Trent Williams, Kirk Cousins, Jordan Reed and Ryan Kerrigan... all franchise guys), and without them there's no way we win the division last year, well, I find it difficult to call Mike's drafting "bad". That's not mentioning key contributors like Thompson and (I know I know, but he still helped) Leribeus. 

I'd say not good, below average, subpar, etc... 

But just on that final point alone it's hard for me to be too angry about his job drafting guys. 

There are other things we can really criticize him for and call "bad", lol.

Now Vinny's drafts? That's bad. Horrific, actually. Mike was a clear step up, personnel-wise, but for me he just proved my feelings on the matter... that a coach shouldn't be given full control of personnel because it's a job that requires full attention from others who don't do anything else and are experts in that field. 

Just felt the need to reply because I know people around here generally despise Shanny, and I've always been a little contrarian about that, but part of me can't help but be thankful for some of the things he did for the organization. I feel like it's a shame we can't just be a little more fair when bringing him up (not that you weren't in this case, or that you've ever been unfair, I know you've always tried to be balanced). :)

58 minutes ago, thesubmittedone said:

While I agree with the overall sentiment here, you're missing a bit of context.

Great post TSO.  I was gonna post something similar about the regime change, but you nailed it.  Not too long, right in the sweet spot. :ols:

I don't think we're keeping Sudfeld on the 53 for leverage with Kirk's contract.  As Martin referenced above, I think the FO and Gruden really like the guy.  The kid's head is swimming a bit for sure.  You can see the wheels turning.  But, he has certainly made some NFL throws.  I like him and certainly think he can grow into a backup in the league.  I think he has a strong enough arm to be a starter.   

I watched football all damn day today.  Excited for next weekend.

7 hours ago, Riggo-toni said:

In his first year as GM, McCloughan:

Drafts a 16 game starter at guard.

Drafts an OLB who led all rookies in sacks.

Drafts a WR who beats Art Monk's franchise rookie receiving record.

Drafted a DB who if not for a freak career ending injury would probably be a starting safety this year.

Wait, what are we complaining about?

They are complaining for not drafting all the remaining position because he only have a few picks to do it.

6 hours ago, clskinsfan said:

Brown got screwed. You cant really put up any better tape than he did in this camp. I hope he catches on with somebody.

I believe Brown will be back into the roster during the season. We've seen last year that our roster is antyhing but freezed. Jones and Thompson both have an history of being injured, and inconsistents. Jones is still young, but if he failed, I wouldn't be much surprised to see one of them (maybe Kelley as well) if they don't perform.

In the end, it's a numbers game, and there seems to be talent on our cuts (Carlos Fields also could complain), so I believe they were told that they're likely to get call back anytime soon.

I was going to say pretty much the same thing as wild bunny .

the roster is going to keep on changing as needs keep changing. 

Brown was okay did his job but when it comes down to cut down day it always comes to a numbers game . This season it was even more tricky because really good guys were lost because of talent at other positions . 

And as always these decisions are not based just on preseason games training camp mini camps every practice attitude little things like that . Take Browns 60 yard to run on Wednesday ... Awesome right great power good cuts good vision but against regular NFL starters would that be impressive. 

Brown is not the complete back neither is kelly but kelly showed more. 

Then you have people (moaning minis) complaining about pet hate projects . Like Paul and Golsten - sigh- 

AnywayGo REDSKINS

9 hours ago, bobandweave said:

Biggest complaint this offseason continues after the 53 man roster is formed. RB position. Not happy we kept Sudfeld and let Brown walk. I wouldn't have done that and consider that a mistake.

Trying to get into the mind of the coaches I think part of the planning this year in regards to the RB position is partly due to the perceived talent in next years draft, not wanting to miss out on that but seriously I think we have a good pass catching RB in Thompson on 3rd downs and no one to use on first or second downs or even short yardage situations. 

Although you are right that you need talent at the RB, I think you are over valuing the position.  Unless you are someone special (and no never had RB in camp that was that)... They are as close to being dimes a dozen you can be in he NFL.   Look at the RBs that were cut that we can claim off waiver... I would take Sankey and Forsett over Brown easily for this year.

Then you see what people are willing to pay for QBs... Look at what Minny gave up for Bradfrod and look at the cap number for backup QBs around the league...  

Personally, I am 99% confident that Brown makes it to our PS.

Archived