Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2016 Roster Thread (Building a Champion Edition) - Doct to IR - Mo Harris Up

DC9

18 minutes ago, SkinsPassion4Life said:

Just about every Redskin fan knows that our two biggest weaknesses were the D-Line and running game.....SM addressed the depth of the team and added to areas where we were already strong.     You guys want to treat him like he's the best GM in football, and not hold him accountable, go ahead....I'm going to be critical when deserved.

I agree that our D-Line and Running Game were two of our primary weaknesses, but they aren't as high a priority as solidifying our a secondary and Passing offense.  That's today's NFL, and can see an emphasis on running game, d-line, and center next offseason.

Truth, even though I'm with you no liking the JAG situation at RB and DLine, that will interfere with us winning a championship, not regular season games or the division.  It's not fair to say he isn't being held accountable, there's a big picture going on here (like Doctson was about the possibility of losing DJax and Garcon, limiting the number of weapons for our future franchise QB).  I didn't like that pick at first, but I get it, I really do.

11 minutes ago, DC9 said:

He was actually sent off today in the World Cup qualifier.  Ironically against England.

Anywho... seeing rumors that we're interested in Aqib Talib from lower level blogs.  I'm not sure I buy that... no where to play him. Imagine that, right?

I'm not buying it....must be because Bruce drafted him, so people trying to connect the dots

Just now, SkinsPassion4Life said:

I'm not buying it....must be because Bruce drafted him, so people trying to connect the dots

Oh it's total laziness by the blogger.  And the fact that we were interested a couple of years ago when he went to NE and then when he went to the Broncos.

We're good, lol.

That blog on Talib was absurd. Can tell by first paragraph dude is a tool -

"Why It Makes Sense: It has been ages since Washington has been a respectable franchise. As long as they have a racist name, they’ll never be respectable but they might be able to put a solid team on the field. Adding in Talib to a secondary with Josh Norman and D’Angelo Hall could be the right amount of deadly and dangerous."

Hello did you forget we have Breeland. Move on blogger boy.

3 minutes ago, SkinsFTW said:

I wonder if Barry will want Donald Butler who used to play well in SD when he coached there.  I guess his play really tanked once he signed that big contact a couple years ago but we could get him for half a ham sandwich at this point. 

Would cost us Garvin and he'd have to be able to play teams.  Looks like he was a teammate with Mason Foster at U W though.

16 minutes ago, SkinsFTW said:

I wonder if Barry will want Donald Butler who used to play well in SD when he coached there.  I guess his play really tanked once he signed that big contact a couple years ago but we could get him for half a ham sandwich at this point. 

Butler was someone I expected us to look at last year. Does seem like he took the money and ran in SD though.

On 7/22/2016 at 7:21 AM, DC9 said:

I

2016 Washington Redskins

Current Roster Strength: 53

Offense (24):

Quarterbacks - 3

Running Backs - 3

Tight Ends - 3

Wide Recievers - 6

Offensive Linemen - 9

Tackle - 3

Guard - 4

Center - 2

Defense (26):

Defensive Linemen - 6

Inside Linebackers - 5

Outside Linebackers

Cornerbacks - 6

Safety - 5

Teams (3):

When listed like this you realize there aren't very many players on a team considering how many positions there are. Gives me a respect for anyone that even gets a chance. So when everyone is bashing someone for being terrible, consider how many didn't even get a shot.

23 hours ago, SkinsGuy said:

I don't know how good the run 'D' will be, but I think it will be better than last season simply because of the much-improved secondary.

This means the LBs won't have to sit back and help with coverage like they had to in 2015 when the secondary was inferior, depleted, and battered.

They will be able to be more aggressive at the LoS than last year. In theory. :) 

We'll see how it works out.

I think Smith, Compton and Foster will be better players with a year under their belts.  Bruton will be a better run-stopper than last year's SS.  And, the addition of Reyes and Hood should improve the Dline on stopping the run.  The Skins are not a finished product by any means.  But, I really like the improvements under McCloughan.

2 hours ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

We may have killed the twitter thread a day early, with all the waiver and PS intrigue going down across the league today.

As you can see with Hap posting tweets here, it's not about stopping tweets, it's about avoiding having a catch-all mega thread where every tweet is posted there exclusively. 

Now anyone, including our best two tweet-posters Hap and SWFL, can post tweets anywhere in the relevant thread. Or, better yet, create a thread about any topic and post related tweets in there. :) 

2 minutes ago, HanburgerBum said:

I think Smith, Compton and Foster will be better players with a year under their belts.  Bruton will be a better run-stopper than last year's SS.  And, the addition of Reyes and Hood should improve the Dline on stopping the run.  The Skins are not a finished product by any means.  But, I really like the improvements under McCloughan.

What gives you hope that Reyes will help us do anything?   

2 hours ago, SkinsPassion4Life said:

I can't get over how weak the D-Line is...and not comfortable with the running game...at all.

The notion that GMSM can't fix everything in one year is utterly ridiculous, because the above two issues should have been his priority and should have been addressed..

But I'm going to be positive...the division is still very winnable for us.

our D-Line is like having Lovren and Moreno

Your problem is that you have adopted the "draft according to need" strategy.  Yes, the Skins Dline is weak, but that doesn't mean SM should pass up a better player for a Dlineman--especially since the roster is not a finished product ready to contend for the SB.  The team is still somewhat in the rebuilding mode.  In that case, it is far smarter to adopt the "BPA" strategy.

For example, Doctson in all likelihood isn't need or being count on for much this season.  But, he was the BPA.  And, with the contract situation of DJax and Garcon, Doctson could prove to be crucial in 2017, when the team may well be a legitimate SB contender.  Would it be smart to draft a Dlineman of lesser talent than Doctson at the latter's spot just because the team is weaker at the Dline area than the WR spot?  NO, NO, and NO.  That lesser talented Dlineman will in all likelihood make far less impact than Doctson in their respective NFL careers.  And, that lesser talented Dlineman is likely no better than Hood, Reyes or even the rookie Lanier.

As to the running game, very few RBs are drafted high any more because the running game has declined significantly in importance.  Kelley looks like a good all-around back.  Brown doesn't look bad either, and he couldn't even make the 53 roster.

3 hours ago, DC9 said:

And I love he had other offers but chose us.  Dude has the body, hopefully he puts in the work so that he can impact the game for us.

Not even Mack Brown, doe?

I will say this... that Jeff Driskel was claimed, I think there is a chance Sudfeld could've been picked up.

But dudes like Aaron Murray went unclaimed.

Were you really concerned about Brown being claimed by another team?  You shouldn't have been.  To start with, teams don't keep nearly as many RBs as they used to.  Any team claiming Brown would have to put him on the 53-roster, not its PS (pursuant to rules).  So, there was minimal risk of Brown being claimed by another team.  It is true that Brown might have opted for another team's PS after he clears waivers, but I think it was always smarter for him to sign with the Wash PS.  He wouldn't have to learn a new system, and he should know that the Skins RB corp isn't that deep.  So, his chances of being elevated to the 53-roster during the season is likely pretty good here compared to somewhere else.

In contrast, it is too risky to put someone like Sudfeld on waivers and hope he clears.  QB is a position so much more important than RB.  Those who were trumpeting keeping Brown on the 53-roster as a 4th RB instead of Sudfeld as a 3rd QB don't seem to understand how the NFL operates nowadays.

Right ^, and when looking at the rounds Scot is willing to factor 'need' more into the equation (the latter rounds), lo and behold, he drafted a dlineman and a running back.  

That tells me he understood those positions were needs, they (Dline/RB) just didn't fall as the BPAs earlier in the draft.  

6 minutes ago, HanburgerBum said:

Were you really concerned about Brown being claimed by another team?  You shouldn't have been.  To start with, teams don't keep nearly as many RBs as they used to.  Any team claiming Brown would have to put him on the 53-roster, not its PS (pursuant to rules).  So, there was minimal risk of Brown being claimed by another team.  It is true that Brown might have opted for another team's PS after he clears waivers, but I think it was always smarter for him to sign with the Wash PS.  He wouldn't have to learn a new system, and he should know that the Skins RB corp isn't that deep.  So, his chances of being elevated to the 53-roster during the season is likely pretty good here compared to somewhere else.

In contrast, it is too risky to put someone like Sudfeld on waivers and hope he clears.  QB is a position so much more important than RB.  Those who were trumpeting keeping Brown on the 53-roster as a 4th RB instead of Sudfeld as a 3rd QB don't seem to understand how the NFL operates nowadays.

I wasn't... that was sarcasm. 

Sudfeld was 50/50 going to get claimed.

5 hours ago, s0crates said:

I'm surprised at the popularity of the notion that we should have released a QB that we just drafted in order to keep a 4th RB. 

I would say that notion shows a profound lack of understanding how the NFL operates today.  QB is No. 1 by a country mile when ranking importance of positions, and RB is nowadays probably just above punting.  I am exaggerating, of course.  But, those who think RB is still a very important position should check salaries by positions.  Last time i saw the rankings, RB has fallen below even TEs and interior linemen and are about even with ILBs.

Just now, HanburgerBum said:

I would say that notion shows a profound lack of understanding how the NFL operates today.  QB is No. 1 by a country mile when ranking importance of positions, and RB is nowadays probably just above punting.  I am exaggerating, of course.  But, those who think RB is still a very important position should check salaries by positions.  Last time i saw the rankings, RB has fallen below even TEs and interior linemen and are about even with ILBs.

I would've waived both of them fwiw.  Why?  They both probably clear.

Sudfeld is a developmental QB.  He has a lot of tools, but needs a lot of work and he's not likely to play this year unless someone is in serious trouble. 

Not everyone has the luxury to have a QB to train just for funsies.  I honestly don't think we do, either.  But here we are. 

Is it me or doesn't this roster look like a Scot build team? I don't feel like am looking at a different kind of team. When he signed I expected a big overhaul and lot of young guys. When I look now I see a regular Skins team. Questionable oline and a lot of veterans. 

It's not that its bad. I just expected something else. Less FA guys and more draft picks. Let some young guys play and hope to find a diamond. 

3 minutes ago, wilco_holland said:

Is it me or doesn't this roster look like a Scot build team? I don't feel like am looking at a different kind of team. When he signed I expected a big overhaul and lot of young guys. When I look now I see a regular Skins team. Questionable oline and a lot of veterans. 

It's not that its bad. I just expected something else. Less FA guys and more draft picks. Let some young guys play and hope to find a diamond. 

Seems to me like we have more young draft picks and UDFA's battling for playing time on the 53 than I can remember having before. We aren't the Seahawks (44% of their roster is made up of UDFA's right now...for real) but then Scot doesn't throw away 1st round picks trading for guys like Harvin and Graham and has yet to let a highly drafted player walk (like the Seahawks and Irvin and others).

5 hours ago, bobandweave said:

The valuation of the position of RB vs the QB position in the NFL today is not the issue to me about my point about keeping Sudfeld over Brown. Its incredibly far fetched to think that we will be able to turn Sudfeld into a bargaining chip for another team. Much more far fetched to think that we will be able to do that then to use another body at the RB position. Arguing that it likely/probable to happen ignores the fact it doesn't happen in the league today. There are much better options at QB who would be better developmental players then him unemployed today then he is as a project. If the point was needing a developmental QB then why stick with a guy who's headline is 

You dismiss the valuation of position of RB vs QB out of hand, but doing so indicates that you don't understand the valuation of position is precisely the  issue at hand.  Yes, you are likely right that Brown has a better chance to help the Skins this season than Sudfeld.  But, that isn't the point.  Neither is likely to make a major impact any time soon.  When one (Brown) has virtually no chance of being claimed, and the other (Sudfeld) does, you keep the latter and waive the former.

Further, a RB like Brown is a dime a dozen.  People are mesmerized by his performance vs the Bucs, but they seem to forget that he was running against 2nd/3rd stringers the entire game.  If the Skins lost him via waivers, so what?  And, even if Brown develops into a good player, it is at a position of far less importance than QB.  On the other hand, QBs are not prospects that can be easily replaced.  Have you been asleep while teams are paying a king's ransom to acquire QBs, but not RBs?  If the Skins adopted your philosophy, they might have waived Cousins after the 2014 season when he fell behind McCoy on the depth chart.  The coaches must see something in Sudfeld they like (he does have ideal size and a good arm), and they just don't want to take the risk that a QB-starved team may claim him--at least not for the sake of keeping a 4th RB like Brown.

8 hours ago, SkinsGuy said:

Of course Beathard missed on multiple occasions. Even the best drafting teams only hit (when it comes to finding starters) at about 33% to 35%.

GMSM will be no different.

Doesn't change my point about how some get a little too attached to many unheralded players. Some may work out, but they are much more likely to go the Lache Seastrunk/Anthony Mix/Tyler Jacob route.

A case can be made that Beathard belongs in the NFL HOF, and he certainly was instrumental in the Skins 3 SB wins.  But, Beathard actually moved up in the draft to pick Ryan Leaf (just below Peyton) when he was in SD.  So, nobody gets them all right.

I liked what I saw out of  Sudfeld, no doubt he's raw but he stands in the pocket without fear, he's big and has a good arm.

What I like the most was that when the game was on the line even though he had been having a tough time moving the ball he led us 90 yards for the winning score.

The odds are against him but you never know.

Archived