Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2016 Roster Thread (Building a Champion Edition) - Doct to IR - Mo Harris Up

DC9

39 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Brown is almost as great as lache seastrunk and remember what a mistake dumping him was?

:ols: Similar situations.

But I think Seastrunk was more of an attitude cut than an ability cut.  Brown by all accounts is a hard worker.

We'll know at noon today if anyone was claimed or if we've claimed anyone.

That's the waiver deadline.  Then your guess is as good as mine on the practice squad.

36 minutes ago, DC9 said:

:ols: Similar situations.

But I think Seastrunk was more of an attitude cut than an ability cut.  Brown by all accounts is a hard worker.

We'll know at noon today if anyone was claimed or if we've claimed anyone.

That's the waiver deadline.  Then your guess is as good as mine on the practice squad.

Yeah, I think Seastrunk wasn't the hardest worker, and that cost him, but Koolblue's point I think is right.

I have been on this board since the beginning, and it is the same story every year. :) The masses (or at least a large contingent) of posters fall in love with some unheralded rookie (usually a RB or WR), that flashes mightily in the preseason. Then days of outrage as said rookie doesn't survive the cuts. Many insisting the team will rue the day when the rookie tears it up for some other team. Maybe even a hated rival like the Cowboys or Giants.

Only to have that rookie sink into oblivion, never to play in the NFL again, or just bouncing around different team's practice squads for several years.

You can set your watch to it.

Brown may be different, but I wouldn't put any money on it. :) 

12 minutes ago, SkinsGuy said:

I have been on this board since the beginning, and it is the same story every year. :) The masses (or at least a large contingent) of posters fall in love with some unheralded rookie (usually a RB or WR), that flashes mightily in the preseason. Then days of outrage as said rookie doesn't survive the cuts. Many insisting the team will rue the day when the rookie tears it up for some other team. Maybe even a hated rival like the Cowboys or Giants.

Only to have that rookie sink into oblivion, never to play in the NFL again, or just bouncing around different team's practice squads for several years.

Now you've got me to thinking. Are there any recent examples of the opposite, where the released rookie actually does become at least a solid player that we regret releasing?

Just now, bowhunter said:

Now you've got me to thinking. Are there any recent examples of the opposite, where the released rookie actually does become at least a solid player that we regret releasing?

Blanking on his name, but there was that defensive tackle that we had that everyone was in love with. The Eagles scooped him up and he became a starter and a good player on a couple of the playoff teams. This was back in the Reid days.

4 minutes ago, SkinsGuy said:

Brown may be different, but I wouldn't put any money on it. :) 

My reason for falling in love with some unheralded rookie or another team's trash is that finding several of those types was a core part of our glory years.  Coleman, Olkie, Jacoby, Brown, Grant, Didier and more for the long term.  Many 1-2 year contributors also helped.   You only got so many high picks.  Even Bobby the Great had Walter Murray, Richard Williams,  Bob Slater, Tory Nixon, Wally Kliene -- all second rounders who never played a down for us.

Just now, Darth Tater said:

My reason for falling in love with some unheralded rookie or another team's trash is that finding several of those types was a core part of our glory years.  Coleman, Olkie, Jacoby, Brown, Grant, Didier and more for the long term.  Many 1-2 year contributors also helped.   You only got so many high picks.  Even Bobby the Great had Walter Murray, Richard Williams,  Bob Slater, Tory Nixon, Wally Kliene -- all second rounders who never played a down for us.

Of course Beathard missed on multiple occasions. Even the best drafting teams only hit (when it comes to finding starters) at about 33% to 35%.

GMSM will be no different.

Doesn't change my point about how some get a little too attached to many unheralded players. Some may work out, but they are much more likely to go the Lache Seastrunk/Anthony Mix/Tyler Jacob route.

17 minutes ago, bowhunter said:

None are really coming to mind, but then again, the Redskins lately (before GMSM got here) haven't had the talent to release anyone interesting.

Too many years, we went the 'Big free agent spending/Skimpy depth' route. So most players we released weren't very good.

Interesting article Hap put up in the BRBN:

http://www.scout.com/nfl/redskins/story/1702742-redskins-older-mccloughans-2nd-season

The Redskins are, as of now, the 8th oldest team in the league, and ranked 25th (down from 17th last season).

The average age of the team is about 26 and a half years old.

Not a real big deal, though. The difference between the youngest team (the Rams at the average of about 25 years old) and the oldest team (the Falcons at the average of about 27 years old) is just a couple of years.

39 minutes ago, bowhunter said:

Chase Daniel is probably the closest example.  He was clearly better than Brennan was at the time, but there was no convincing the Cult of Colt.

Serviceable backup. 

And we had Mario Addison in here for a bit in 2013, I think it was, and now he's either a starter or a 3rd DE for the Panthers.  But he didn't show too much for us.  I also think that was during the season.

That's about it.

12 minutes ago, SkinsGuy said:

Interesting article Hap put up in the BRBN:

http://www.scout.com/nfl/redskins/story/1702742-redskins-older-mccloughans-2nd-season

The Redskins are, as of now, the 8th oldest team in the league, and ranked 25th (down from 17th last season).

The average age of the team is about 26 and a half years old.

Not a real big deal, though. The difference between the youngest team (the Rams at the average of about 25 years old) and the oldest team (the Falcons at the average of about 27 years old) is just a couple of years.

Not upset about that at all.  You want a good mix. 

By contrast, the Rams are the youngest team in the league for the 4th or 5th straight year.  Was talking to Tandler about that on twitter yesterday. 

Eventually you have to grow with a core group, if you keep starting over with youngins you'll be in Rams pergatory... 8-8 or worse.

I think there's also a bit of an outlier effect. The team isn't really old, but has a few geezers hurting the average. Not sure if that's true, but it feels right. When I think of skill positions we seem pretty young. We're a bit older on the lines but Scherff, Long, Moses ain't geezers yet. The D line is probably our oldest unit.

4 minutes ago, DC9 said:

Not upset about that at all.  You want a good mix. 

By contrast, the Rams are the youngest team in the league for the 4th or 5th straight year.  Was talking to Tandler about that on twitter yesterday. 

Eventually you have to grow with a core group, if you keep starting over with youngins you'll be in Rams pergatory... 8-8 or worse.

I agree, but you know, some are going to look at this and lament the position the Redskins are in (8th oldest), when really, there is a lot of up and coming talent on this team.

15 minutes ago, SkinsGuy said:

Of course Beathard missed on multiple occasions. Even the best drafting teams only hit (when it comes to finding starters) at about 33% to 35%.

GMSM will be no different.

Doesn't change my point about how some get a little too attached to many unheralded players. Some may work out, but they are much more likely to go the Lache Seastrunk/Anthony Mix/Tyler Jacob route.

My point is that this has been going on since at least the 70s when I first started following the 'Skins and. all though I didn't say it, seems to be common among all fans of all teams.  It seems that it is more about hoping you've found that guy who makes up for the GMs misses, lack of resources (for example, Mix because we had no resources to find a big #1 and jumping on that bandwagon was better than nothing) or getting more than you seem to have got (big hope with George Allen and Gibbs 2.0).   The part about blowing it is more a result of disappointment in realizing that guy was not the answer.

1 minute ago, Burgold said:

I think there's also a bit of an outlier effect. The team isn't really old, but has a few geezers hurting the average. Not sure if that's true, but it feels right. When I think of skill positions we seem pretty young. We're a bit older on the lines but Scherff, Long, Moses ain't geezers yet. The D line is probably our oldest unit.

That is what I was thinking as well.

You remove a couple of guys like Golston, Lich, and Hall, and the age of the team probably drops dramatically.

1 hour ago, SkinsGuy said:

I agree, but you know, some are going to look at this and lament the position the Redskins are in (8th oldest), when really, there is a lot of up and coming talent on this team.

Yeah, they will.  And the simple answer is a couple of years ago the older guys would be our building blocks.  Right now, most of them are stop gaps.  Baker is the only older head I can think of off the top of my head who I plan to be on the team for another 3 years or so.

4 hours ago, sjinhan said:

Although you are right that you need talent at the RB, I think you are over valuing the position.  Unless you are someone special (and no never had RB in camp that was that)... They are as close to being dimes a dozen you can be in he NFL.   Look at the RBs that were cut that we can claim off waiver... I would take Sankey and Forsett over Brown easily for this year.

Then you see what people are willing to pay for QBs... Look at what Minny gave up for Bradfrod and look at the cap number for backup QBs around the league...  

Personally, I am 99% confident that Brown makes it to our PS.

The valuation of the position of RB vs the QB position in the NFL today is not the issue to me about my point about keeping Sudfeld over Brown. Its incredibly far fetched to think that we will be able to turn Sudfeld into a bargaining chip for another team. Much more far fetched to think that we will be able to do that then to use another body at the RB position. Arguing that it likely/probable to happen ignores the fact it doesn't happen in the league today. There are much better options at QB who would be better developmental players then him unemployed today then he is as a project. If the point was needing a developmental QB then why stick with a guy who's headline is 

Redskins selected Indiana QB Nate Sudfeld with the No. 187 overall pick of the 2016 NFL draft.
Sudfeld (6'6/234) made 26 starts for the Hoosiers, completing 60.3% of his career passes with an 8.02 YPA and 61:20 TD-to-INT ratio. He added eight rushing scores and was voted third-team All-Big Ten as a senior. A "push passer" with a tendency to airmail way too many throws, Sudfeld fails to maximize his arm strength due to shoddy fundamentals and is a sloth in the pocket with heavy feet. Sudfeld flashed an aggressive passing mentality at Indiana, but his game is littered with flaws. He's a long-shot project.

And did nothing in preseason action to change the opinion there. He is an extremely long term, long shot to ever do anything in this league. Others mention Lache Seastrunk the comparrisons to Sudfeld is so long as to guys who wasted roster spots on teams basically hurting them in the season and I personally fully expect him to be cut soon to make room for another player. He won't stick around on the roster. 

My point was/is this

We lost our leading rusher last season and we replaced him with no one. 

The guy they are expecting to carry the load this year was awful last season, awful this preseason. Not to mention was injured last season and already injured this season. Expecting him to make a jump this year to what is needed and going to be asked of him is not a certainty. Can Jones stay healthy when the games count? Doubtful. Can he improve on his 3.3 ypc this season? Probably but how much? And when he gets injured again or fumbles the football where do we turn? 

Not one team in the NFL today had a higher ratio of pass to rush then 70%. If our expectation is to pound the football with Jones and he's what we have seen him to be then it will only hurt the offense because defenses won't plan to stop him and that only makes him a liability on the passing game. I'm not enamored/in-love with Brown, but he showed much bigger ability to help this offense this year then Sudfeld could. If Browns not the guy then someone will need to step up immediately when Jones gets injured again or is ineffective. When you only have one guy on the roster who could do that your putting all your eggs in one basket and you end up picking up guys like Pierre Thomas off the street mid season who aren't much better and not the answer. We should have kept Brown increasing our odds of finding a quality RB when/if the need arises. I think it will for us this season and if Kelly isn't the answer when that happens our offense is completely one dimensional and it could/might cost us this season. 

Archived