Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2016 Roster Thread (Building a Champion Edition) - Doct to IR - Mo Harris Up

DC9

13 minutes ago, pjfootballer said:

My goodness, some of you are insufferable pessimists.:chair:

I'll post this for the ONE-HUNDREDTH TIME (yes, I've been counting).  I said this the day that Scot was hired: He needed THREE years to make us competitive.  It's been 2.  He's done a great job of turning over the roster and getting guys to buy in to the system and direction.  The team is trending up.  They are NOT there yet and he still has work to do.

Edit....

And before you say it, yes, you have a right to be concerned about certain decisions he's made, but take a step back for once and assess the overall before chastising the guy.

This and a 1000 times this!!  I can't believe we still have people ****ing about the Scherff pick!!  Scherff fills a huge hole, and likely will for a decade or more. He also brings a toughness and work ethic that was needed to help transform the locker room. In the meantime L Williams did what exactly? He is one dimensional so far and has been very under whelming. Not to mention the 2nd rd pick Smith has totally outplayed Williams! Scot has and will make some mistakes. But that is not one of them. Need to let that **** go and move on.

So, unless I'm mistaken, here's what's remaining from the Shanahan drafts:

2010: Trent Williams.  Perry Riley hung around until this year.  

2011: Kerrigan, Niles Paul.  Out of 12 picks.  

2012: Kirk Cousins.  Ribbs was cut this year.  

2013: Jordan Reed.  I'm pretty sure that's it.

That's 1 player on the team per draft, with the exception of 2011. which has 2.  This is what you would consider to be "bad."

2014 still has Murphy, Moses, Long, Breeland and Grant.  So, in the "Allen" draft, they probably wiffed on their first pick of Murphy, but he's at least still around.  Moses is a starter, Long might be, Breeland is, and Grant is a GREAT inactive 6th receiver. 

2015, which is only a year ago, seems extremely promising with Sherff, Smith, Jones and Crowder all starters, and  Kouandjio, Spaight and Reiter all still on the roster.  

Clearly, nothing is known about the 2016 draft since they haven't taken the field yet.  But there are some definite positive outlooks...

We've been complaining about OL for years and in 2 drafts, the first guys McGloughan looks at are Scherff and Kelly.  Believe you me that he would have taken Kelly with the first pick if the Colts hadn't jumped him. 

I want to add (And I think someone else mentioned this) that Scot not only looks at the current season, but he makes picks and signs players based on what he wants to do in future years.  Something previous regimes never did as they clogged up our future salary caps with stupid long term signings. Scot will not sign anyone that will compromise our future years.

5 hours ago, LetMeSeeYourWarFace21 said:

Yeah, but we also have some great pass rushers in Kerrigan and P. Smith. We just gonna need some others to step up. Hopefully we can acquire another solid DL/LB before the season starts. We can be better, but I have confidence in our D going to this season. 

Not to mention Baker's a solid rusher/disruptor and that we will probably look to blitz more often.  

35 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

That's 1 player on the team per draft, with the exception of 2011. which has 2.  This is what you would consider to be "bad."

So when folks want to **** about FA one and dones, it's cause we're trying to patch over this period of despair...

1 hour ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

2014 still has Murphy, Moses, Long, Breeland and Grant.  So, in the "Allen" draft, they probably wiffed on their first pick of Murphy, but he's at least still around.  Moses is a starter, Long might be, Breeland is, and Grant is a GREAT inactive 6th receiver. 

2015, which is only a year ago, seems extremely promising with Sherff, Smith, Jones and Crowder all starters, and  Kouandjio, Spaight and Reiter all still on the roster.  

Clearly, nothing is known about the 2016 draft since they haven't taken the field yet.  But there are some definite positive outlooks...

2013 Chris Thompson..

Just now, s0crates said:

Generally speaking, I'm not a big fan of cutting guys who earned roster spots to pick up guys who didn't. 

yes, well not every team judges things by the same criteria, and some times people end up in situations that don't quite work.

1 hour ago, pjfootballer said:

We've been complaining about OL for years and in 2 drafts, the first guys McGloughan looks at are Scherff and Kelly.  Believe you me that he would have taken Kelly with the first pick if the Colts hadn't jumped him. 

I want to add (And I think someone else mentioned this) that Scot not only looks at the current season, but he makes picks and signs players based on what he wants to do in future years.  Something previous regimes never did as they clogged up our future salary caps with stupid long term signings. Scot will not sign anyone that will compromise our future years.

More, if next year or in two years down the road Crowder and Doctson turn into our starting wide receivers that will mark a pretty smooth transition. Next year, we almost certainly will lose at least one guy (Garcon or Jackson). It's nice that we have high potential guys and guys who can contribute (Crowder, Grant, Ross) already lining up behind them. 

Archived