Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2016 Roster Thread (Building a Champion Edition) - Doct to IR - Mo Harris Up

DC9

Just now, HapHaszard said:

Jenna Laine ESPN Staff Writer 

I'm told that former Gators running back Mack Brown is staying with the Redskins. The Bucs were definitely interested and in play this morning. Brown had 149 rushing yards in the fourth preseason game.

Another one electing to stay home

That's the Liverpool FC approach... score a goal against us and we'll probably sign you :ols:

Good to see a few dudes who decided to stay here.

For those who had questions earlier...

The 2016 minimum weekly salary for the practice squad is $6,900 ($117,300 for the entire regular season). Some players will get more.

5 minutes ago, dswerdlw said:

If we don't sign Ioannidis to the PS, I'd be surprised if we don't look elsewhere for a D-Lineman to put on PS, given that we have only 6 on the 53 man roster.

You're probably right that we'll look to add somebody at DL, but it bears mentioning that it's a 3-4 defense, so you don't keep as many DL as you would in a 4-3. 

13 hours ago, thesubmittedone said:

Couple things here. 

While I agree with the overall sentiment of your post, you're missing a bit of context.

Ok, let's have at it. :)

First, Shanahan's schemes were different so, by default, players that were drafted weren't going to automatically fit Gruden or Scot's profiles. So while I don't think what you're doing here is the worst way of looking at his drafts, it's a bit unfair. Guys like Helu, Adam Gettis, Compton and Morris, for instance, were better players in the ZBS. Keenan Robinson is more suited to a two-gapping front. 

I somewhat agree, though somewhat not.  For Year 20214, Gruden actually kept the same running scheme.  It changed somewhat between 2014 and 2015, but McVay still uses a lot of the same concepts that the Shanahans used, specifically in the running game. FWIW, Helu never really worked out extremely well while the Shanahan's were here.  He was ok, but always hurt.  Morris I'll give you, but he was a 6th rounder, and those are kindof fliers. 

On the OL, my perception is that the Gruden and Shanahan pass-blocking schemes are actually rather similar, especially because McVay is involved, and he's a Shanahan disciple.  

Is there a huge difference between the Joe Barry scheme and the Jim Hazlett scheme?  My understanding is that there is not a huge difference, though I guess I could be wrong. 

Are there some players who might have fit better if Shanahan had stuck around?  Maybe.  But an average of 1.5 per draft over a 4 year period, regardless of scheme change, is bad. Even if that had doubled, it's still not all that great.  

One other thing, and I'm not going to go look this up (I just don't have the time), but how many of the Shanahan draft picks are playing ANYWHERE else in the league at this point?  My perception is not many, though I know Kyle has a few down in Atlanta.  Maybe there are more, but I'm not sure that there are a lot of those guys still in the league.  Granted, some of that is par for the course, but let's say that there are 10 guys still in the league from those 4 drafts.  That's not so hot...

(After this, my ability to separate Submitted's post is failing me, AND I can't get to the point where I can type under a quote, so I'm going to label points in the post and refer to them here.  I'm sure this is user error.  I've been so busy at work, I have barely posted since the upgrade.  Which, btw, looks awesome.)

a) I don't really consider Perry a huge negative for a 4th rounder.  But overall, coming out of 4 drafts with 6 guys on the roster, is not awesome.  Again, regardless of scheme change.  

b.) I don't have a beef with the guys who have stuck around, but if you're really going to have a consistent contender, you've got to pick something like 1 blue-chipper per draft, and a few red-chippers.  (To use GMSM's phrase.)  I'll give him credit for the Blue-Chippers.  But he struggled finding other guys that are in the draft.

c)  I think that MS the GM let MS the Coach down at times.  Is it the worst thing he did?  Nope.  But it might be the thing that has the longest tenticles, until the 'Skins can have a few drafts in a row where they pick up a few blue-chippers, and a bunch of red-chippers, the core of the team, which really should be coming from the 2012-2014 drafts, we're going to continue to see a lot of 1-and-done contracts...

d) Mike was better than Vinny.  Yeah, I'll definitely give you that.  In every way.  

(a) Second, I wouldn't consider a guy like Perry Riley, who got a second contract here, as a negative in the draft column since he contributed pretty decently for a 4th round pick drafted in 2010. To get 6 seasons out of a 4th isn't too bad, so yeah, he's off the team now but it's hard for me to have an issue with that. 

(b)Finally, and most importantly, when you factor into this the fact that 4 of these guys who remain on the team are inarguably our best players (Trent Williams, Kirk Cousins, Jordan Reed and Ryan Kerrigan... all franchise guys), and without them there's no way we win the division last year, well, I find it difficult to call Mike's drafting "bad". That's not mentioning key contributors like Thompson and (I know I know, but he still helped) Leribeu

(c) But just on that final point alone it's hard for me to be too angry about his job drafting guys. 

There are other things we can really criticize him for and call "bad", lol.

(d) Now Vinny's drafts? That's bad. Horrific, actually. Mike was a clear step up, personnel-wise, but for me he just proved my feelings on the matter... that a coach shouldn't be given full control of personnel because it's a job that requires full attention from others who don't do anything else and are experts in that field. 

I can't get over how weak the D-Line is...and not comfortable with the running game...at all.

The notion that GMSM can't fix everything in one year is utterly ridiculous, because the above two issues should have been his priority and should have been addressed..

But I'm going to be positive...the division is still very winnable for us.

4 minutes ago, DC9 said:

That's the Liverpool FC approach... score a goal against us and we'll probably sign you :ols:

Good to see a few dudes who decided to stay here.

our D-Line is like having Lovren and Moreno

10 minutes ago, s0crates said:

You're probably right that we'll look to add somebody at DL, but it bears mentioning that it's a 3-4 defense, so you don't keep as many DL as you would in a 4-3. 

Plus Trent still has some of that DE weight he put on, so he might swing there in a pinch

Early recap of those agreed to or signed to Redskins PS: Brown, Trail, Thompson, Kasitati, Kerridge, Harris, I. Williams. Can keep up to 10.

You'd think Ioannidis would be among the first-reported PS signings, unless, uh…

@BurgundyBlog He's JAG.

I haven't see anything on him being picked up by the Jag's or am I missing somethng?

5 minutes ago, SkinsPassion4Life said:

I can't get over how weak the D-Line is...and not comfortable with the running game...at all.

The notion that GMSM can't fix everything in one year is utterly ridiculous, because the above two issues should have been his priority and should have been addressed..

the notion that he can't fix everything in one year is not even a little ridiculous it's one hundred percent accurate. 

had he drafted running backs and defensive lineman high in the draft you'd be sitting there right now saying we that linebacker and offensive line should have been his top two priorities. 

it does take time and there are very few if any teams in the league that dont have positions that are weak.

the almost undefeated panthers last year didn't have squatt for receiver's and the Superbowl champs had an offense that was pathetic on a good day.

with the salary cap and 32 other teams all trying to build the best roster it's virtually impossible to be stacked at every position.

21 minutes ago, SkinsPassion4Life said:

The running game was putrid last year, and it doesn't look like any big changes were made so that's an understandable concern. But if you're going to be positive, then consider that we had some injuries on the OL last year that noticeably impacted the running game, and we have added some players with potential at OL and RB this year. 

And I tend to agree that the players we have on the roster at DL certainly don't jump off the page at you, but if you're going to be positive, you might note that Hood and Lanier have looked good. Maybe the inability of Jenkins and Ioannaidis to stick shows we have more talent there than people realize. 

3 minutes ago, redskinss said:

the notion that he can't fix everything in one year is not even a little ridiculous it's one hundred percent accurate. 

had he drafted running backs and defensive lineman high in the draft you'd be sitting there right now saying we that linebacker and offensive line should have been his top two priorities. 

it does take time and there are very few if any teams in the league that dont have positions that are weak.

the almost undefeated panthers last year didn't have squatt for receiver's and the Superbowl champs had an offense that was pathetic on a good day.

with the salary cap and 32 other teams all trying to build the best roster it's virtually impossible to be stacked at every position.

Just about every Redskin fan knows that our two biggest weaknesses were the D-Line and running game.....SM addressed the depth of the team and added to areas where we were already strong.     You guys want to treat him like he's the best GM in football, and not hold him accountable, go ahead....I'm going to be critical when deserved.

2 minutes ago, SkinsPassion4Life said:

At least you got rid of Skrtel

He was actually sent off today in the World Cup qualifier.  Ironically against England.

Anywho... seeing rumors that we're interested in Aqib Talib from lower level blogs.  I'm not sure I buy that... no where to play him. Imagine that, right?

Archived