Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Supreme Court, and abortion.

Larry

4 minutes ago, Simmsy said:

I have a question: does this mean that if I were to get an abortion in Virginia, as someone who resides in VA, does that mean someone in Texas can sue me in court? I don't see how they can enforce this law. 

Only in Texas. The law bans all abortions in Texas after 6 weeks, and leaves the enforcement mechanism to private citizens through civil litigation. 

It’s truly one of the most absurd laws crafted in this country and it’s intent is entirely to shut down abortion clinics while the courts decide what the **** to do with it. Even if the courts reverse it eventually, the damage will be done by then. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, gbear said:

I have a question as I read the section outlawing abortion "does not apply to a physician who performs a partial-birth abortion that is necessary to save the life of a mother whose life is endangered by a physical disorder, physical illness, or physical injury, including a life-endangering physical condition caused by or arising from the pregnancy."

Isn't pregnancy itself a life-endangering physical condition?  I mean we still have mortality rates women in childbirth listed in the WHO report every year, and the U.S. is not the safest place to give birth... 

Any sane person who ever stepped foot in the delivery room and saw what a woman goes through in childbirth (leave alone the pregnancy itself), would shut the hell up and conclude there are some things in life that the legal system is illsuited to address.  You have a problem with why abortion is an impossible decision for anyone other than the mother to make?  Take it up with the creator.

17 minutes ago, No Excuses said:

Only in Texas. The law bans all abortions in Texas after 6 weeks, and leaves the enforcement mechanism to private citizens through civil litigation. 

It’s truly one of the most absurd laws crafted in this country and it’s intent is entirely to shut down abortion clinics while the courts decide what the **** to do with it. Even if the courts reverse it eventually, the damage will be done by then. 

And that's the other part of this issue. Women having control over their own body is important. But along with taking those rights away they remove access to vital health support, especially for lower income women. I was born in 1960 and my parents had little money. So they used services from Planned Parenthood. 

This totalitarian society the right wants is disgusting and could not be more anti-American yet they have convinced themselves they are the patriots! ****ing assholes! 

• Like 3

Ya got to give credit where credit is due.  This has been a long hard slog for the conservative right.  Fifty years.  They had a vision of where America should go, and through continued effort, voter participation, propaganda and, lets face it, downright unethical political maneuvering, they took us there.  And they are likely not finished: they still want to undo much of the new deal, for example.  And considering their success in the roe v wade matter, the idea they might seriously try on their other agendas is something that we should, perhaps, pay more than lip service to.

...if only there was an organized opposition with as long term a vision...

In any case, you have to hand it to them whether you like the outcome or not: this is a beautiful lesson on the American system and how to make it work for your ideas to get what you want over the long term. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DCSaints_fan said:

But if they ban abortions, won't that produce more liberals because its mostly liberals getting abortions ? 

Don't try using logic. The initially were anti-mask because they thought Covid was mainly killing in an urban areas and hitting minorities. Now, that anti-vaxxers and anti-maskers are baring the brunt they still don't care. I guess you got to give them credit. They're willing for others to die for their cause.

• Like 1

I mean, the law is STILL unconstitutional... Since SCOTUS only ruled not to hear case (not that law was constitutional or not), can a Texas clinic continue biz as usual, then take case to court if threatened to be shut down? I'd think a separate federal judge would rule law as unconstitutional right?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jabbyrwock said:

Ya got to give credit where credit is due.  This has been a long hard slog for the conservative right.  Fifty years.  They had a vision of where America should go, and through continued effort, voter participation, propaganda and, lets face it, downright unethical political maneuvering, they took us there.  And they are likely not finished: they still want to undo much of the new deal, for example.  And considering their success in the roe v wade matter, the idea they might seriously try on their other agendas is something that we should, perhaps, pay more than lip service to.

...if only there was an organized opposition with as long term a vision...

In any case, you have to hand it to them whether you like the outcome or not: this is a beautiful lesson on the American system and how to make it work for your ideas to get what you want over the long term. 

This isn't where they want to be on abortion.  The idea of "states' rights" is just a talking point for the right.  It isn't a principle that they believe in.  There are plenty of other issues where they are happy to completely ignore states' rights. They'd love to see a Supreme Court that would say the Constitution (and the corresponding rights) applies to a fetus and that abortion is illegal.

Don't let anybody tell you that illegal abortions in the red states is their end game here.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, PeterMP said:

This isn't where they want to be on abortion.  The idea of "states' rights" is just a talking point for the right.  It isn't a principle that they believe in.  There are plenty of other issues where they are happy to completely ignore states' rights. They'd love to see a Supreme Court that would say the Constitution (and the corresponding rights) applies to a fetus and that abortion is illegal.

Don't let anybody tell you that illegal abortions in the red states is their end game here.

Oh I 100% agree.  This isn't where they want to be on Roe, or a whole host of other issues...not yet.  I was being hyperbolic to make the point: these people have a long term vision and they are pursuing it relentlessly.  The only way to oppose is to be equally relentless; to date I have not seen the organization or will in the opposition to do so. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mammajamma said:

I mean, the law is STILL unconstitutional... Since SCOTUS only ruled not to hear case (not that law was constitutional or not), can a Texas clinic continue biz as usual, then take case to court if threatened to be shut down? I'd think a separate federal judge would rule law as unconstitutional right?

No court has ruled the law to be unconstitutional.  And it had already achieved its chilling effect because Texas abortion providers will stop providing abortion for pregnancy beyond 6 weeks, lest they be hounded with a multitude of lawsuits.  Even if they win every suit, the litigation fees alone would bring them down.  If SCOTUS decides to uphold the Texas law, then the lawsuits stemming from abortions from now till SCOTUS would likely be financial ruins for the provider.

5 hours ago, No Excuses said:

I thought to bring a case you had to demonstrate harm? Why would those private citizens have legal standing?

10 hours ago, CjSuAvE22 said:

Im a moderate leaning conservative and this whole abortion thing needs to be set aside its done women need access to these things regardless of what religion says and the science backed behind it. I dont know why time is even spent on this anymore in this regard some members of the GOP need a reality check.

time is spent on it because it’s never been about actual abortions or religion. This is a rallying cry wedge issue to sucker in Christians and increase their voting power following their defeat in the civil rights battles of the 60s. The country was moving away from them quickly and they couldn’t openly be racist anymore so suddenly they decided they had a moral superiority over abortions and found a way to lock in millions of low info voters every election without question. 

Edited by Momma There Goes That Man
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1