Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Supreme Court, and abortion.

Larry

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, LadySkinsFan said:

Have I said lately how much I hate this state?

Just hang in there...with more California businesses and people relocating there, it will turn purple blue by the end of the decade, which will be the end of the GOP electoral college path.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Riggo-toni said:

Just hang in there...with more California businesses and people relocating there, it will turn purple blue by the end of the decade, which will be the end of the GOP electoral college path.

If I'm still alive. This state might be the death of me. I didn't feel this way when I lived in Virginia.

Edited by LadySkinsFan

3 hours ago, LadySkinsFan said:

If I'm still alive. This state might be the death of me. I didn't feel this way when I lived in Virginia.

Come back home! After Virginia turned blue, I didn't want to leave. Some friends were moving to a red state several years ago, asked me to go with them. I told them no red states, they only lasted for a month and a half before they came back.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Simmsy said:

Come back home! After Virginia turned blue, I didn't want to leave. Some friends were moving to a red state several years ago, asked me to go with them. I told them no red states, they only lasted for a month and a half before they came back.

Wish I could! I'm stuck here, can't afford to live in NOVA, and all my immediate family live here and I need to be close to my daughter. Otherwise I would definitely move back.  And my town here has Democrat leadership so better than other places here. I was lucky where I landed.

15 minutes ago, LadySkinsFan said:

Wish I could! I'm stuck here, can't afford to live in NOVA, and all my immediate family live here and I need to be close to my daughter. Otherwise I would definitely move back.  And my town here has Democrat leadership so better than other places here. I was lucky where I landed.

Hmm, I'm still going to pass on Texas. You tame the unsettled land, I'll come when its done.

• Haha 2

Pro life?

GOP Texas lawmaker introduces bill to allow death penalty for women who have abortions

A Republican lawmaker in Texas has introduced a bill that would allow the death penalty for women who have abortions.

“Today, I filed HB 3326 to Abolish Abortion in Texas,” Texas State Rep. Bryan Slaton (R) said on Twitter.

“The bill will end the discriminatory practice of terminating the life of innocent children, and will guarantee the equal protection of the laws to all Texans, no matter how small," he said.

Under HB 3326, a person who has an abortion or performs an abortion could be charged with assault or homicide, which is punishable by death, the Texas Tribune reported.

Click on the link for the full article

• Sad 2

• 2 weeks later...

I've always wondered about how the further away we get from the days of abortion being illegal, how less bothered will newer generations be about access being slowly rolled back because they still think overall they live in a country where it is "legal" and there ends up not being enough resistance to it those attempts until it is too late.

The important thing to know and remind young women is that pro-choice opponents have one goal, which is a 100% total ban, however they know that message will never sell with the American people, so the strategy is to eliminate access, roll back availability until the medical procedure is so scarce and hard to access that it is essentially "illegal/unattainable" except for the mothers, daughters, cousins, mistresses, prostitutes, secretaries, etc etc of the wealthy of course.

Edited by NoCalMike

55 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

I've always wondered about how the further away we get from the days of abortion being illegal, how less bothered will newer generations be about access being slowly rolled back because they still think overall they live in a country where it is "legal" and there ends up not being enough resistance to it those attempts until it is too late.

The important thing to know and remind young women is that pro-choice opponents have one goal, which is a 100% total ban, however they know that message will never sell with the American people, so the strategy is to eliminate access, roll back availability until the medical procedure is so scarce and hard to access that it is essentially "illegal/unattainable" except for the mothers, daughters, cousins, mistresses, prostitutes, secretaries, etc etc of the wealthy of course.

Feminists have been sounding the alarm ever since Reagan. Us Second Wavers know only too well the bad old days of total bans on legal abortions.

Unfortunately, young women of these later years haven't been educated enough and take legal abortions for granted. My daughter is 43 and you can bet that I educated her. She's a liberal and a feminist, and votes!

Edited by LadySkinsFan
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, NoCalMike said:

And changing the definition of persoonhood.  

Don't underestimate the power of spending decades trying to alter the language and perceptions, to accomplish a goal.  

Somebody in here (Predicto?) explained to me some time ago, that the NRA spent 60 years altering legal textbooks, to include the never-before-considered notion that the Second Amendment granted an individual the right to keep and bear arms.  And very carefully did not once attempt to argue that notion, in court, until the federal benches had been packed with now-senior judges who had been taught that, in law school.  

As Redskins fans, we can probably understand that.  

• Like 1

If they do end up overturning Roe vs. Wade the Court will basically cast away "stare decisis".  I think Roberts understands this and its why he goes for the narrowest type of rulings.  The moment the Courts weigh into the Roe vs. Wade arena, it Roe should get upheld unanimously. 

Conservatives fret over Supreme Court’s delay in accepting Mississippi abortion case

The future of Roe vs. Wade and the rights of women to choose abortion are being fought out in an unusual dispute within the Supreme Court.

At issue is whether to take up a direct challenge to the landmark abortion decision, an early test for the court with three appointees of President Trump.

Conservatives who have long targeted Roe believed they had won a historic victory a week before Trump lost his reelection bid. Justice Amy Coney Barrett took her seat at the end of October, giving the court six conservatives who had been appointed by Republican presidents who opposed abortion. The death of Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg left just three liberals who supported abortion rights.

The justices have before them an appeal from Mississippi that has become the focus of attention. The state seeks to enforce a ban on nearly all abortions after 15 weeks of pregnancy, but the measure was blocked by a federal judge and the U.S. appeals court on the grounds it conflicted with Roe.

The state’s lawyers are urging the high court to repeal the “bright-line viability rule” set in 1973 that lets women choose abortion until about the 22nd week of pregnancy, the time when a fetus may be capable of surviving outside the womb. Instead, they said, states should be given more leeway to ban abortions at earlier stages of pregnancy.

More than a dozen Republican-led states are ready to implement measures to ban many or nearly all abortions if the Supreme Court were to change course.

If the justices — or at least four of them — vote to take up Dobbs vs. Jackson Women’s Health Organization, it would be by far the most significant abortion case in 30 years. A decision has been pending for months, and the case is due to come up again Thursday during the justices’ private conference.

• Sad 1

• 3 months later...

Mississippi asks Supreme Court to overturn Roe v. Wade

The State of Mississippi filed a brief with the Supreme Court on Thursday defending the state’s ban on abortion after 15 weeks of pregnancy and asking the court to overturn Roe v. Wade when it hears arguments on the case in the fall, raising the stakes of what was already set to be the term’s biggest reproductive rights case.

“The national fever on abortion can break only when this Court returns abortion policy to the states,” Mississippi Attorney General Lynn Fitch writes in the brief, arguing that the country has changed so much since Roe was decided that the court needs to reopen the issue.

“In 1973, there was little support for women who wanted a full family life and a successful career,” she wrote. “Maternity leave was rare. Paternity leave was unheard of. The gold standard for professional success was a 9-to-5 with a corner office. The flexibility of the gig economy was a fairy tale.”

When Mississippi asked the justices to take up the state’s case last June, however, the state emphasized there was no need to overturn the landmark abortion precedent or the court’s major refinement of that decision in 1992 in Planned Parenthood v. Casey.

“To be clear, the questions presented in this petition do not require the Court to overturn Roe or Casey,” Fitch wrote then.

3 minutes ago, China said:

“In 1973, there was little support for women who wanted a full family life and a successful career,” she wrote. “Maternity leave was rare. Paternity leave was unheard of. The gold standard for professional success was a 9-to-5 with a corner office. The flexibility of the gig economy was a fairy tale.”

In other words, we absolutely must allow states to force women to be incubators against their will, because they can be Uber drivers.  

• 1 month later...

Pro-lifers set up a tip line for Texans to report abortions that violate the impending 'heartbeat' ban, and people are spamming it with fake claims

Pro-choice advocates are spamming a Texas website that encourages people report abortions performed after six weeks of pregnancy - which, come September 1, will be illegal in the state.

The website calls on "citizens to hold abortionists accountable to following the law" by anonymously reporting providers or others who've "aided and abetted" an abortion after six weeks.

That includes parents who drive their child to the clinic or friends who lend money for the procedure.

Those found to have violated the law will be fined at least $10,000, the website says.

Planned Parenthood and other pro-choice organizations have fought against the law going into effect, but Twitter users are opposing it in another way: by aiming to overwhelm the website with an influx of bogus claims.

"Gosh, I wonder if they factored in people abusing the integrity of this system. Hmmm I hope ppl don't abuse this! That would be terrible," Nancy Cárdenas Peña, a Texas director for the National Latina Institute for Reproductive Justice, Tweeted Friday.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1