Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Supreme Court, and abortion.

Larry

Republican gubernatorial candidate James Craig said if elected he would block any attempt by Democrats to repeal Michigan’s 90-year-old ban on abortion, according to a secret audio recording obtained by Metro Times. Craig made the remark Thursday while talking with supporters after his speech at a campaign kickoff event in Marquette.
The 1931 law, which made it a felony to perform an abortion, was nullified following Roe v. Wade, the landmark 1973 Supreme Court ruling that women have a constitutional right to terminate their pregnancies. But abortion-rights advocates are worried that the ruling may be in jeopardy after the Supreme Court’s 5-4 decision earlier this month to let a Texas ban on most abortions remain in effect.

Surge in Texas women coming to Oklahoma for abortions

An Oklahoma City abortion clinic is overwhelmed by a flood of patients from Texas. It’s the ripple effect of Texas’ controversial abortion law, Senate Bill 8. The new law bans abortions around six weeks after conception, which is often before a woman knows she is pregnant.

The Trust Women clinic in OKC is used to only having five to 10 Texan patients per clinic day.

“Since SB 8 went into effect on Sept. 1, that volume has gone up three or four times,” said Communication Director Zack Gingrich-Gaylord. “I was in Oklahoma City on Monday. We have 50 patients on the schedule and 33 of those were from Texas.”

Click on the link for the full article

Vasectomy requirement included in PA legislative memo

Efforts to limit access to abortions across the country are being met with resistance in Pennsylvania.

Representative Chris Rabb, a Philadelphia Democrat, is turning heads with his newest effort to change the narrative and conversation.

He shared a memo over the weekend proposing a bill to restrict male reproductive rights.

“I thought it was important as a man to speak up about reproductive rights,” said Rabb. “There are all these bills and laws that regulate and restrict the bodily autonomy for women and girls, but not so much for men.”

Rabb says the ‘vasectomy requirement at age forty or after child number three is just meant to spark a conversation.

“I think it’s appropriate to push the envelope and get people talking so I proposed parity legislation so if you don’t understand satire you aren’t going to get it. It’s levity on a very serious issue, but the bottom line is I want to create a conversation about how easily we accept government intervening into the health decisions of women, which should be between them and their family, and then saying what would it feel like if men were being regulated.”

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Texas abortion law shutting down court avenue for teens

Veronika Granado anxiously stood before the judge knowing that if she said something wrong, things could end badly for her.

But the 17-year-old hadn’t committed a crime. She had not filed a lawsuit. Granado was in a Texas court that day to ask permission to get an abortion.

She was among thousands of teens burdened with additional hurdles to legal abortion care, especially if they are of color or live in states where abortion access is already severely limited. Thirty-eight states require some form of parental consent or notice for anyone under 18 to get an abortion. Of those, nearly all including Texas, offer an alternative: pleading with a judge for permission to bypass that consent.

But the latest restrictions in Texas that essentially ban abortion past the six-week pregnancy mark have made such requests almost impossible; the process to go before a judge includes a required sonogram and setting a hearing can take weeks. By then, women are often past the six-week mark. And as other states capitalize on the success of the Texas law and set their own restrictions, those few avenues are getting shut off.

Biden administration to ask supreme court to halt Texas abortion ban

The Biden administration said on Friday it will turn next to the US supreme court its attempt to halt a Texas law that has banned most abortions since September.

The move by the justice department comes after an appeals court on Thursday night left in place the law known as Senate Bill 8, which bans abortions at roughly six weeks, or before most women know they are pregnant. The appeals court, the fifth circuit, is among the most conservative in the nation.

Unlike other early abortion bans passed in states from Ohio to Alabama, which were routinely blocked by courts, Texas’s law uses a rare enforcement mechanism.

Reproductive rights attorneys have appealed to the supreme court to block the law from going into effect.

However, the court’s conservative majority ruled in a “shadow docket” decision that it should go into effect while litigation addresses “complex antecedent procedural questions”.

Justices did not address the law’s constitutionality, and vociferous dissents from the court’s liberal wing argued justices pandered to a legal strategy designed to evade court scrutiny. A justice department spokesman, Anthony Coley, said the federal government would ask the supreme court to reverse that decision.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

MTP made a point in Sunday that only three countries have their abortion rights established via precedent in court versus legislated law.  Even if SCOTUS upholds the Mississippi Law, Congress needs to do its part to codify Roe v Wade.  Demand to remove the filibuster to do it will be out of this world if the Mississippi Law is upheld, as it should.

1 hour ago, The Evil Genius said:

I don't see the political endgame for the GOP on this. When less than 1/6 of the population (and shrinking) wants a total ban, how is this a winning long term stance?

True, but currently about 63% of registered republicans want it completely illegal. That's a very dedicated base.

https://docs.cdn.yougov.com/glqc6q0m86/20211119_yahoo_vaccine_tabs.pdf

Page 169

Abortion shaped my politics initially and it took me many years to move away from supporting a single party over this issie. I didn't realize Roe vs. Wade allows abortion at up to 6 months.  The Mississippi law restricts to 15 weeks and I wonder if some of the conservstive justices distinguish that re: fetal viability (which is where the 6 months comes from). 

I am more "pro life" and this is an area where I differ from the Democratic party constituency.  I tend to think my generation (we used to be called Y, but now I could just be an older Millenial) has had very different experiences wrt pregnancy rate and sex.  I known Gen X'rs both male and female who say they had multiple abortions, which is shocking to me because we all are taught how pregnancy happens and how to avoid it in HS (and you fall in love and everything goes out the window).

4 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

I don't see the political endgame for the GOP on this. When less than 1/6 of the population (and shrinking) wants a total ban, how is this a winning long term stance?

The GOP has been winning for decades.  

For decades, their position has been, whenever somebody says that "if you want to ban abortion, you have to do X", then they have done X.  With the zeal of a religious crusader.  

For example, they are perfectly willing to steamroll anybody who suggests that the moment of fertilization is not a mystical miracle when two things that aren't alive, combine to instantly become a person.  

• Thumb up 3

Women's bodily autonomy should be between a woman/girl and her doctor with the woman's decision prevailing. There are some aspects of pregnancy where it's undesirable for a pregnancy to continue. No man should have any say in what a woman does with her body. Men don't have these kinds of laws regarding their bodies. I refuse to allow the concept that a woman is a slave to a collection of cells. Even the Bible knows that the collection of cells isn't alive until it draws breath. Our civil law doesn't award a certificate of live birth until then. 

We women will not be slaves to hopeful theocratic bull****.

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1