Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Supreme Court, and abortion.

Larry

1 hour ago, Destino said:

Looks like republicans have secured their first major victory in the culture wars in a long while.  They’ll be hungry for more and they have the Supreme Court to do it.  We’ll be digging our way out of Trumps disaster of a presidency for a generation. 

This is a huge loss and there is exactly **** all democrats can do about it.  Republicans own the court, and will for the foreseeable future.  

Not if Biden grows a pair and finally decides to pa.....'er reform the garbage SCOTUS. Yeah, Biden growing a pair is about as likely as Clarence "Uncle" Thomas curing his re-vitiligo but that's about all we've got right now. Yet again, I am sooooo freaking tired of the Dems showing  up for the culture wars with flowers and candy expecting to get results.

57 minutes ago, PeterMP said:

The next step is a Supreme Court decision that says that Constitutional protections apply at conception so any abortion is illegal and a federal crime.

Any abortion would be illegal...except for the well-off who can hop on a plane for a little medical tourism.

37 minutes ago, DogofWar1 said:

This decision is going to be so bad, but even more, this decision basically says that every right that has come into existence that isn't explicitly written in the Constitution or an Amendment is subject to being tossed out by an overzealous state legislature/governor.

Contraception?  Same-sex marriage?  Interracial marriage?  BLOWJOBS/ANAL!?

Literally every implied right that has come into existence since 1789 is now going to have some state legislature try and outlaw it to get a case in front of SCOTUS, where they will use the same logic to overturn prior court decisions on that implied right, which will trigger some 20 or so states to immediately outlaw/criminalize it.

And I guarantee you a large part of the GOP is looking forward to exactly that.  

The GOP is looking at that scenario, and figuring that they can manipulate those issues into GOP votes for the next generation.  

Breyer with double middle fingers up. 

There is a part of me that thinks Roberts should retire in protest. Not joking.  I think abortion is evil.  This shouldn't be done on the basis of the Supreme Court fiat. What are we going to teach our grandkids about "stare decisis" and "democracy". 

I disagree with what you say, but I will defend your right to say it.  I disagree with what you do with your body, but I will defend your right to do it.  

And maybe this is a moment will people will re-think the wisdom of the electoral college.  

7 minutes ago, Larry said:

And I guarantee you a large part of the GOP is looking forward to exactly that.  

The GOP is looking at that scenario, and figuring that they can manipulate those issues into GOP votes for the next generation.  

I’m honestly wondering if there’s really a need. They’re in the process of getting people in place to fix any of the elections they somehow fail to win with their gerrymandered districts so why even bother. Quite frankly, I see “democracy” in the US looking a lot like things in Hungary before too long. If it weren’t for my mother in law and daughter, we’d have checked out during Tя☭mp 1.0. When 2.0 rolls in, the daughter will have graduated and Mom probably won’t know who we are anymore. Either way, we’re out regardless. I’d suggest y’all start making contingency plans to un-ass the A.O.

https://www.travelandleisure.com/travel-tips/best-countries-for-american-expats

3 minutes ago, Fergasun said:

Breyer with double middle fingers up. 

There is a part of me that thinks Roberts should retire in protest. Not joking.  I think abortion is evil.  This shouldn't be done on the basis of the Supreme Court fiat. What are we going to teach our grandkids about "stare decisis" and "democracy". 

I disagree with what you say, but I will defend your right to say it.  I disagree with what you do with your body, but I will defend your right to do it.  

And maybe this is a moment will people will re-think the wisdom of the electoral college.

If you’re a conservative, this country needs people like you, on your side of the aisle, with principles who actually believe in fairness and democracy, not just “owning the Libs” and keeping power at all costs. If you’re not voting blue no matter who and trying to talk sense into your crew, you’re doin’ it rong.

• Like 1

I look at Joe Rogan, Jon Stewart, yes, even the Don and I think, "Someone really smart in media could dominate with a new political party."  All you need is 10 House members and 5 Senators.  Run an open and transparent legislative seat, be honest and be clean.   You don't even need people that agree 50% on everything all the time, just people who care about the 80% of the country that is politically marginalized. 

Come out with policy, have real debates and discussion... not the screamfests that have been normalized over the past 20 years.  Even the media is compliant.  Cut off mics if there is gaslighting and BS... I feel like we live in some sterile democracy that quietly, silently and slowly working to screw working class regular Americans and transfer all of our "wealth", the fruits of our labor to corporations and the wealthy who fund them.

Food, education... we still have the option to buy really crappy, poor diet food and live.  For now community college and public 4 year the last two isn't entirely unreasonable... but who came out and said "I really don't want a 4 year college path viable for my children anymore."  Healthcare and housing?  Who decided that it's good for our country to pay so much for housing and healthcare?  Just start hittiing on that... over and over and over.  

I would love to challenge Elon Musk... challenge him not on space or social media... do you think you can use your money and solve affordable housing for Americans?  Go for it!  I would love to see investor billionaires buying up land, putting up container houses with decent rents to support Americans. 

So what if you stay American and only make 5 gazillion dollars instead of 50 gazillion dollars... have some effing pride in the people of America.  The wealthy have turned their back on America and said, "Everyone should just get theirs and screw everyone else.." and the middle and lower classes are trying to follow that model.  Oh yes..  we really love minimum wage jobs from Amazon and Starbucks... 

We have lost something in America over the past 2 generations, and people don't want to admit it.  There's a huge gap between boomers and millenials as far as quality of life..  it's sad and unspoken.  I don't even know if my parents thought in terms of this but our country spirit is getting crushed and people care more dumb stuff like wearing masks or pandering to our racist ahole parents who need to be curbstompped. 

1 minute ago, Fergasun said:

We have lost something in America over the past 2 generations, and people don't want to admit it.  There's a huge gap between boomers and millenials as far as quality of life..  it's sad and unspoken.  I don't even know if my parents thought in terms of this but our country spirit is getting crushed and people care more dumb stuff like wearing masks or pandering to our racist ahole parents who need to be curbstompped. 

Yes, we've lost rational discourse, and subsequent to that we'll be losing our democracy because these idiots prefer authoritarianism, racism and lots of other isms.

• Like 3

Absolutely disgusting and utterly predictable. These ****s didn’t give a crap about abortion for almost half a decade until they realized they could run with it to break old voting blocs that were anxious about civil rights. Dog**** party that’s about nothing other than naked power and tax cuts. 

Now the Court’s legitimacy is done. Now they come for more.

if this isn’t enough to galvanize a generational reverse of this ****ing con job, then it’s as Sisko said. 

Happy now, Bernie purists? Idiots.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

There is little doubt in my mind that Roberts leaked this. He knows how ****ed up all of this is. 

Dems messaging and pretty much my only ad for months: If you are raped and impregnated, the GOP will force you to have the baby of your rapists. Are you okay with that? If you think that is as ****ed up as we do, vote Democrat and we will protect your rights. 

• Thanks 2

58 minutes ago, JCB said:

if this isn’t enough to galvanize a generational reverse of this ****ing con job, then it’s as Sisko said. 

Got some Sandy Hook parents want to talk to you.  

Think back, over everything that the GOP has done, for the last 20 years.  And ask yourself what backlash they suffered at the polls.  

There's about as much chance of people switching sides over this issue, as there is of getting gun control after Sandy Hook.  

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

36 minutes ago, Hersh said:

There is little doubt in my mind that Roberts leaked this. He knows how ****ed up all of this is. 

Dems messaging and pretty much my only ad for months: If you are raped and impregnated, the GOP will force you to have the baby of your rapists. Are you okay with that? If you think that is as ****ed up as we do, vote Democrat and we will protect your rights. 

I read an arch conservative court watcher call for DoJ investigation, theft of government property and Roberts resign or impeachment if he doesn't punish leaker.

5 hours ago, Destino said:

This is a huge loss and there is exactly **** all democrats can do about it.  Republicans own the court, and will for the foreseeable future.  

There are a few options Dems have, but they're too scared of "what republicans will do when they get back in power" to do anything while they're in power

The reasoning in the SCOTUS opinion that abortion rights aren't "in the constitution" is the dumbest **** I've heard from those idiots yet. Might as well throw out 90% of previous SCOTUS decisions then. 

Edited by mammajamma
  • Like 1

Haha! I can't believe some of you want to blame Bernie supporters for this, this isn't on us: you can thank the dems for this fiasco. What did you expect from a side that refuses to fight, except with their own party. A party that hears what their constituents want and then tells them "Nah, you don't want that", the democratic party is pathetic. The only thing more pathetic than a democratic congress person is a democratic voter. When they go low, we go high...how is that working out for you? They take away your rights, you sing Kumbaya...how is that working out for you? Perhaps its time for actual violence? Blacks can't vote, latinos can't stay in America, women have no control over their bodies and gay people aren't allowed to exist...but at least we're playing by "the rules".

We need new leadership in the party, not a bunch of complacent, geriatic, corporate democrats who roll over at the first sign of a tussle. Democrats deserve to lose, we need to clean house.

Edit: Now that I'm seeing more info on it, pundits and anchors are now saying "Well, they might change their mind when the ruling comes down in two months". So, in case you forgot, we're also at the mercy of these politicized hacks to have some shame or be so embarrassed that they MIGHT do the right thing. At a certain point, peaceful protesting isn't enough.

Edited by Simmsy

Two things:

• Roe v. Wade decision was also leaked according to the Post. https://www.washingtonpost.com/history/2022/05/02/leak-time-magazine-roe-wade/
  • Susan Collins in the confirmation hearings of the last two justices voted to appoint based on this issue. She supposedly was promised overturning Roe v Wade would not happen which in her mind gave clearance to approve the justices. That promise has been broken as expected. 
Edited by Busch1724

18 minutes ago, Busch1724 said:

Two things:

• Roe v. Wade decision was also leaked according to the Post. https://www.washingtonpost.com/history/2022/05/02/leak-time-magazine-roe-wade/
  • Susan Collins in the confirmation hearings of the last two justices voted to appoint based on this issue. She supposedly was promised overturning Roe v Wade would not happen which in her mind gave clearance to approve the justices. That promise has been broken as expected. 

Are nominees for the SCOTUS under oath during these confirmation hearings?

Edited by Renegade7

What's the big deal about it being leaked?  Well, aside from Republican drama queens who throw staged hissy fits over everything?  

So we found out about this decision a few weeks early?  This is supposed to outrage somebody?  (Other than right wing snowflakes for whom outrage on command is a conditioned response?)

5 hours ago, The Evil Genius said:

I said it another thread, but the next step is overturning protections for interracial and gay marriage. 

When, not if. 

Asked this in another thread, but isn't that protected by Civil Rights Act and not dependent on SCOTUS precedent like abortion rights are?