Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Supreme Court, and abortion.

Larry

1 hour ago, NoCalMike said:

Also, what I don't get about deputizing citizens to enforce abortion laws, why would it stop there with abortion only?  Couldn't Texas do the same thing with immigration?  Could CA do the same with gun control laws? etc etc etc.....

Your point is that it's a slippery slope that might lead to making it legal to run down protesters?  

5 minutes ago, Dan T. said:

Where the hell is Rand Paul?  The whole confirmation vote tally is being held up because he hasn't voted yet.

Isn't there some procedure where if he doesn't show, the conclude the vote without him?  Otherwise any single senator could derail a vote by just not showing up.

• Thumb up 1

2 hours ago, NoCalMike said:

We should know better by now that anti-abortion activists use the tactics of "show everyone something gross & creepy looking, and then completely make up a narrative around  it" when it comes to their quest to make abortion illegal.

Also, what I don't get about deputizing citizens to enforce abortion laws, why would it stop there with abortion only?  Couldn't Texas do the same thing with immigration?  Could CA do the same with gun control laws? etc etc etc.....

Yes, because obviously the Supremes don't give a ****. 

48 minutes ago, China said:

Isn't there some procedure where if he doesn't show, the conclude the vote without him?  Otherwise any single senator could derail a vote by just not showing up.

CNN said they could have called the vote but they kept it open "as a courtesy."

1 hour ago, Cooked Crack said:

Basically dang people actually noticed

Now, I know a lot of people would wipe their brow and say "whew", I would not. I would sue the ever loving **** out of Texas. Make them pay for even trying to pull this garbage off.

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

• 4 weeks later...

Part of me wonders why.  They've pretty much made it just a slogan, already.  

But then, I also know why.  Have to pay back the people who put them there. with exactly those orders.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

Supremes to strike Row v Wade ; according to early draft of decision, says politico.

Looks like republicans have secured their first major victory in the culture wars in a long while.  They’ll be hungry for more and they have the Supreme Court to do it.  We’ll be digging our way out of Trumps disaster of a presidency for a generation. 

This is a huge loss and there is exactly **** all democrats can do about it.  Republicans own the court, and will for the foreseeable future.  

• Like 1

The disclosure of Alito’s draft majority opinion – a rare breach of Supreme Court secrecy and tradition around its deliberations – comes as all sides in the abortion debate are girding for the ruling. Speculation about the looming decision has been intense since the December oral arguments indicated a majority was inclined to support the Mississippi law.

3 minutes ago, The Almighty Buzz said:

...."but her emails"  is going to haunt this country at least for the rest of my lifetime, given the age of the justices, it is pretty much a roll of the dice as far as who is President when Thomas goes away, but after him I don't see anyone on the conservative side exiting anytime soon.  The Conservatives got what they want, again.  The minority opinion being in position to rule over the majority.  

Hopefully this decision energizes those necessary to swing things back the other way so maybe this issue can be countered with legislation, that likely sends it back to the courts, up the chain.

Honestly, Roe v. Wade has been hanging on by a sliver for quite some time and we've recently seen states come up with a lot of ways to get around it anyway, ways in which almost any court headed by a conservative judge is unwilling to strike down.

I've got two daughters that are too young to understand what is on the cusp of happening.  For now, living in CA it probably won't effect them directly, but I can see some kind of national ban via legislation attempted as soon as the numbers swing that direction and watch the same court who said leave it up to the states, basically do a 180 on that opinion just as quick in order to uphold a national ban.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I apologize to those of you with a brain in advance but, well, this is the kind of ****…I’m adopted by the way.

I hate Matt Walsh more than anyone in the world.  I did that mother****ers mortgage twice when I didn’t know who he was.  And for the record, he was a mute beta in real life if ever such a thing exists.  It’s all, ALL, a grift, and it’s going very successfully.  He makes at least 7 figures a year now, probably several.  He does actually believe these things of course but he’s spun up this entire online character out of absolutely nothing. 

Anyway…I just…want to retire in Italy 20 years from now.  I hate it here and it’s going to get worse.

B95A216D-6B27-4742-882F-4746ECDE9858.png

6C7E4FB9-B748-4B36-942C-D9EF76C03527.png

15FACD8D-F885-4BF1-8B13-2220CACEA8C7.png

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

I've got two daughters that are too young to understand what is on the cusp of happening.  For now, living in CA it probably won't effect them directly, but I can see some kind of national ban via legislation attempted as soon as the numbers swing that direction and watch the same court who said leave it up to the states, basically do a 180 on that opinion just as quick in order to uphold a national ban.

The next step is a Supreme Court decision that says that Constitutional protections apply at conception so any abortion is illegal and a federal crime.

9 minutes ago, redskins59 said:

Unfortunate, but nothing is going to change.  Republicans will still win in November.  With raging inflation and Biden's approval rating in the 40's, this will be not be  a huge issue and Republicans will win.

Then pro-choice supporters are pro-choice unless there's something else that's a bigger concern (and there usually seems to be for many of them).  Elections have consequences and all that.

I bet that the reason Politico decided to run it is that Sotomayor, Kagan, Roberts, and Breyer all INDEPENDENTLY leaked it to Politico and they were like "uhhhhh well we have 4 sources all leaking this from inside the SCOTUS, I guess we can run it."

This decision is going to be so bad, but even more, this decision basically says that every right that has come into existence that isn't explicitly written in the Constitution or an Amendment is subject to being tossed out by an overzealous state legislature/governor.

Contraception?  Same-sex marriage?  Interracial marriage?  BLOWJOBS/ANAL!?

Literally every implied right that has come into existence since 1789 is now going to have some state legislature try and outlaw it to get a case in front of SCOTUS, where they will use the same logic to overturn prior court decisions on that implied right, which will trigger some 20 or so states to immediately outlaw/criminalize it.

At this point, voting for ANY republican at the state level, or for the US Senate or President, is a vote for the sword of Damocles to fall and wipe out every implied right that has ever come about.

Like here in VA, if the Senate was GOP, and not held by Dems, the right to female bodily autonomy would be done within days of this decision being published.  So thank goodness Dems hold the Senate in VA.

• Like 4