Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What the ref?

Burgold

"Stuff happens." Is a terrible defense whenever it is tried.

I think that **** happens is a better defense.  In all seriousness, I was at the game and saw a couple of the replays on the big screen.  The one penalty on Robinson looked bad, but we only saw a quick replay. There were a couple others too.  Were the television replays really all that obvious?

I think that **** happens is a better defense. In all seriousness, I was at the game and saw a couple of the replays on the big screen. The one penalty on Robinson looked bad, but we only saw a quick replay. There were a couple others too. Were the television replays really all that obvious?

Yeah, they were pretty bad. Not close to PF's in my homerish book. Some were so bad that after the third blown PF the refs didn't bother explaining the other fouls and the broadcast refused to show replays.

He dove to catch the ball. More importantly, your dive theory was already shown to be irrelevant bc of how the NFL rules are written PLUS how they called the foul against Robinson in the same game just a few minutes earlier.

You ca say you don't like the rule, that the refs made a mistake, but dismissing it and saying the hit on Garçon was okay is wrong.

He dove to catch the ball. More importantly, your dive theory was already shown to be irrelevant bc of how the NFL rules are written PLUS how they called the foul against Robinson in the same game just a few minutes earlier.

You ca say you don't like the rule, that the refs made a mistake, but dismissing it and saying the hit on Garçon was okay is wrong.

LOL. I guess you guys don't know the meaning of the word "initiate".

It's a league wide issue and it's making watching the games much less enjoyable.  It's a problem the league needs to address -- some of the calls in general -- the illegal touching penalty,....**** me.  Please -- if a receiver's foot barely touches the line (and they're clearly unaware) then he makes the catch in bounds that should not be illegal touching.  If the receiver/player runs out of bounds on purpose or they realize they went out of bounds and come back in,...ok then.  The refs should be able to discern that detail.  Tick tack bull**** that does the game no good. 

Aside from the flag happy NFL -- The Skins have got to get their **** together with penalties in general.  It's infuriating.

Well, you can contest almost every and one penalty. For every reason possible. Why should refs call a Roughing the passer for hitting a QB within 5 seconds after he threw the ****in' ball? That's football!! Who cares if Crowder had both feet outbounds? That was a TD dammit!

You have to have rules, and you have to play within them.

And btw, staying inbounds is one of the easiest one to follow. Blame the guys for not being aware of where they are on the field than the rules.

Agree the games are borderline unwatchable, seems like you are forced to hold your breath for a full 3 seconds before you can enjoy a play. I know on one play a flag came out two and a half seconds after the play.

The commercials are making it more unwatchable, especially on streaming...

The CFL let's coaches challenge pass interference calls. Hasn't slowed their game down. Like the NHL, they go to Toronto for all reviews. They don't let the on the field referees bias make the call. Their refs just sits there with his headphones on waiting for the decision. I hate that the on the field refs go to review with bias. Let someone in NY make the decision.

Bleh, Thought Mara was already making the calls!

I don't think there's a conspiracy, really... but I do think there's something psychological with the way refs handle our games. 

It's like they go into it thinking "the Redskins suck, if they're doing something right it must be because we're not catching them on penalties, so we have to make sure we see everything they do. We don't want to look bad."

I know that might sound crazy, but I swear it's there. I mean, they see EVERYTHING we do. EVERYTHING. Even if it's just barely there, or not really a penalty but kind of looks like one, their flag flies so fast you'd think they should be QBs themselves.

The other team, on the other hand, has to do something completely obvious and egregious to get called. Otherwise, they get the benefit of the doubt.

There's no way this doesn't exist in my mind.  

Don't think there's a conspiracy.

I do believe that refs watch every teams and watch videos of games and every player. Reed has been flagged in each game so far, you can bet that if he plays against the Falcons the Refs will be watching him closely and throw the flag at the first mistake.

I don't know if the coaching staff, GM, or anybody on the team is well aware of the officiating crew a few days before the game so coaches can tell players about the refs, what they are looking for in terms of penalties, how do they judge hits and personnal fouls. If they don't, then it's a huge mistake because, well, refs are part of the game.

And considering the flak they're taking right here, I'd like to defend the referee position quite a bit. We're talking guys that have to make calls on field without much help from 100 replay cameras. Full speed and angle can change a lot of thing in terms of view. They have to take care of buddies that are usually 1.5 their size and twice their weighs, that runs 4.2 and got an IQ of 12 for many of them. Evolving in that kind of environment is dangerous. They have rules to apply, memos from Committee to pay specific attention to some specific type of play, hits, or whatever. They have to re learn the rulebook each year in case of a change of a word or two to define what is a catch or not... Their task is not easy.

Us, on the other side got access from 100 replays, can debate on if or not, can get rid of the rulebook if we feel like it, because we're biased or whatever. Well, basically, we're just fan.

But, the only fact, is that penalties are always up to the ref appreciation. If he feel like it's illegal, then it is. That's just the way it is. Disagreeing on it means we would have ruled a different game. That doesn't mean it was terrible officiating, just that we would have called it differently. But sure, they do make mistakes as well. Just like Crowder or Reed for not being able to stay inbounds...

Im watching GB-SF and CLE-SD and both are flag filled messes. League has to address this. Games are becoming unwatchable.

You are correct.  This is a league-wide issue.  Buffalo had 17 penalties yesterday.  Penalties across the league are up a significant amount.  And it does make the games nearly unwatchable.  It's become like some kind of Pavlovian response that I now look for a flag after every play.  I can't just watch and enjoy the game.  Even the announcers do it.  After any big play they have to state "...and there were no flags!"  As if not having a flag is the anomaly.  I guess the NFL really does stand for No Fun League.

NFL admitted the refs screwed up.  http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/13819689/dean-blandino-end-zone-call-missed-vs-seahawks-lb-kj-wright

Would have been 1st and Goal at the half yard line.

Good job NFL.  Way to go.  Great way to utterly ruin 3 hours of TV.

So it's not just us...anymore.

BUT, no one can convince me that the refs don't play favorites during at the very least the Giants games.  Others, I might be willing to assume incompetence over malice, but Giants?  No way, Mara deserves nothing but assumed malice.  He's got history.

Archived