Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What the ref?

Burgold

Let's say Baker doesn't recover the fumble on the second to last play of the game. Winston would have rushed up and spiked the ball, right? I think it would have been very hard for them to clock the ball before the clock ran out (see the final play of the Jets game). What would have then happened when they realized that the game clock never started? Is a blunder by the clock operator a reviewable play?

The Bucs will be getting an apology from the league on the Logan Mankins holding call that erased the 43 yard Simms run. Hatcher completely sold the ref a bill of goods.

Also, the offensive pass interference on Mike Evans' TD (Trenton Robinson defending) could have gone either way in my opinion. They were hand slapping and RObinson fell down. If it were the other way around, we would be complaining. Instead, it comes back, we sack Winston on the next play, they burn a timeout and we hold them to a field goal. Huge call that went our way.

What did Triplette say at the end, after the fumble, when he was delivering an explanation? The TV was muted where I was, so I couldn't hear.

he said that the clock did not start at the beginning of the last play.. which it did not.. i was LIVID in my living room..  our OWN stadium..how the hell do you screw up running the friggin' clock?

On the previous play, the TE caught a pass and went out of bounds at 12 seconds.

The fumble was recovered at 11 seconds.

Triplette explained the clock didn't start and set the time to 5 seconds.

I was actually very pleased with the officiating considering that Triplette is one of the worst refs in the league. He makes more inexplicable mistakes that practically any of them. But yesterday he seemed uncharacteristically competent.

I'm sure TB fans don't think so, but OH WELL!

~Bang

Here is the last play:

http://www.redskins.com/media-gallery/videos/WATCH-Chris-Baker-Recovers-Charles-Sims-Fumble/9aba7ec9-75be-4614-99c6-cc7f4de22d4f

At LEAST 10 seconds run off the clock here. It definitely would've been interesting if Sims didn't fumble.

I definitely don't think they would have been able to clock the ball had Sims fumbled. So what would have happened? Can they review it and set the clock where they thought it should be or would we have just gotten hosed and they would have had one more play?

I definitely don't think they would have been able to clock the ball had Sims fumbled. So what would have happened? Can they review it and set the clock where they thought it should be or would we have just gotten hosed and they would have had one more play?

Likely, set the ball with the remaining time left and they get one more snap as the clock would start at the whistle.  But the clock would have to stop for Triplette to explain what happened.

Who knows?

Just re-watched the game and can't remember ever seeing a team (other than ours) self destruct like the Bucs did. The number of game changing penalties was almost like something from an Onion article.

Someone in the prediction thread said something like: "We finally face another team more undisciplined than we are." That turned out to be spot on.

When people are saying it was a fair called game lets be real here. A personal foul is a personal foul. When you shove someone and hit the qb late what do you expect? You expect a ref not to call that? No way in hell and that goes both ways too. There was one call I forgot which was a bad call in the 1st half in favor for us but also there was the int. grounding by Winston to avoid a sack that was just so blatant.

I was surprised overall by the ref.

The Bucs will be getting an apology from the league on the Logan Mankins holding call that erased the 43 yard Simms run. Hatcher completely sold the ref a bill of goods.

I thought the replay showed Hatcher's acting, but the actual call was a block in the back which was slightly farther into the backfield and was also visible in the replay.

If someone with access to more data than I wouldn't mind doing the research, I firmly believe the refs were talked to about being too flag happy after the second week of the season, as there was a huge drop off in the amount of penalties called in weeks 4 and 5 (particularly in the game against the Falcons).  It almost feels as if the issue came to a head, and teams, or rather players, were catching on to the fact that the refs weren't calling things as much, and began to take advantage of it, and then become lazy.  Thus, poorer disciplined teams like the Bucs got absolutely hammered when the refs started to become more diligent about things, and didn't clean up their act.  I almost want to say that this transition, in our game anyway, happened between the first and second quarter.  The Bucs looked unstoppable for a moment there, and then all of the sudden, were getting called for two penalties per play.  Yes they had a lot of penalties accepted for an astounding amount of yards, but how many penalties were declined because there were two per play?

I don't care if the refs screwed the Bucs.

Not one whit. We'v e been on the other end of it enough,, if it's somebody else and it benefits us,well, too bad.

I don't think they did. I heard the radio today saying they didn't think Evans committed OPI in the end zone..  he sure did,, unless grabbing and sweeping a defender to the ground is suddenly legal.

One sure fire way to not get beat by the refs.

Don't be a sloppy football team, and the Bucs are. when you're sloppy and you keep playing after the whistle the refs get it in their heads that you are a sloppy team and you likely WILL commit penalties, and so they see them all... and maybe even some that don't exist.

Oh well. Tough ****.

~Bang

The ironic definition of fair is that a game is only called fairly when it the calls go in our favor. ;)

That's not entirely true, but there is substance to it. Mind you, I try there are games where I nod at a lot of the flags thrown against us.

I also thought they missed the delay of game on Winston.  I forget which drive it was, I want to say the second to last one one.  It was a critical 3rd down and 5 right after we had cut the lead to three.  They awarded the Bucs the timeout even though it was clearly after the play clock expired.  Bucs then drove for a field goal.

The end of the game was just messy as hell.  No way they would've been able to spike the ball.  Would have been game over if the clock started properly (and Sims didn't fumble the ball).

I also thought they missed the delay of game on Winston.  I forget which drive it was, I want to say the second to last one one.  It was a critical 3rd down and 5 right after we had cut the lead to three.  They awarded the Bucs the timeout even though it was clearly after the play clock expired.  Bucs then drove for a field goal.

The end of the game was just messy as hell.  No way they would've been able to spike the ball.  Would have been game over if the clock started properly (and Sims didn't fumble the ball).

Yes but how would they have got out of it with the clock not starting if Winston ran up there to spike it and had a magical 12 seconds left. 

Yes but how would they have got out of it with the clock not starting if Winston ran up there to spike it and had a magical 12 seconds left. 

I'm not sure, I think they would have to use common sense.  They could count in their heads the time the play took and estimate how much time it would take to spike the ball.  I'm estimating 15 seconds at least.

Here is the last play:

http://www.redskins.com/media-gallery/videos/WATCH-Chris-Baker-Recovers-Charles-Sims-Fumble/9aba7ec9-75be-4614-99c6-cc7f4de22d4f

At LEAST 10 seconds run off the clock here.  It definitely would've been interesting if Sims didn't fumble.

Granted, these were meaningless games, but there were some head scratchers in some of the contests late in Shanahan seasons. In 2013 I think there was a lot of confusion at the end over what down it was against the Giants. And then in 2010 against the Bucs I seem to remember (perhaps incorrectly) the Skins might have gotten five downs to score what should've been the game-tying TD if we hadn't botched the XP.

The lack of awareness of rules by the zebras these days is pretty scary.

The players- bigger faster than ever before. "bang bang" plays happen SO fast anymore.

Rulebook- totally out of control . massive influx of new rules, interpretive rules causing the refs to try and determine intent on the fly, while trying to watch these massively huge incredibly fast men swarm all around them.

Refs- no change since 1978 when they added a side judge. (almost 40 years if you're keeping score at home.) Still men (and now one woman) over 40 trying to keep up with ever bigger and ever faster players. 

Oh wait,, they did make one change.. they moved the ref behind the line of scrimmage and now he holds up the damn game while HE gets set.

Adequate technology exists to help get it right, but is purposely limited to preserve the "human element" that is vastly overmatched and clearly inadequate.

Bill Bellichick is right. EVERY PLAY should be subject to review. Thy do it in college and those games run just fine. Weekly the NFL has problems with it's officials. NCAA, not nearly so much. It WORKS. It is proven.

Last night, Chris Johnson runs the ball, gets tackled, ends up sitting on the linebacker motionless for nearly two full seconds, then gets up and runs another 60 yards.

No "forward progress" call.
Now, while he was sitting there, if a safety runs up and drills him, does he get flagged? I'd give it about a 75% chance he gets a personal foul.

And even if he does NOT, the NFL and it's ridiculous rules and incompetent officials who are told to focus on some rules more than others, have trained these guys to NOT tackle that situation, because
A/ it costs the team 15 yards, and
B/ it costs the player 7500 bucks or more. (even if there is no flag.)
AND C/ there is NO rhyme or reason as to how or when these flags get thrown.

A few possessions later, it's 3rd and 1..  the Cardinal RB piles into the line,   crosses the mark by a few inches, gets stuffed, reverses his OWN motion, runs back and then parallel to the LOS and gets tackled..  a yard behind the mark.

No,,, forward progress is called,, first down. Even though he never stopped moving, never stopped fighting and changed direction on his own upon meeting resistance.

Complete contradictions within the same quarter.

It is KILLING the game.

the NFL still uses part time officials and expects them to be able to digest allllll the new rules on their own time.

The NFL makes BILLIONS. Hire full time refs, make it their full time JOB to study the rules, KNOW them and work hard to be able to implement them.

There is absolutely NO reason to not do this. NONE.

~Bang

Archived