Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What the ref?

Burgold

Agreed with the play calling. Don't know what was Gruden thinking on that 3rd down call. Cousins was okay, neither int was his fault. Garcon batted the ball in the Falcons hands in one and Grant slipped on the other. Block in the back was missed on the int return. You can virtually call holding on every play.

Yeah, I saw that too. 

In truth, this was a pretty flag light day for both teams so I don't have a major problem with it. I don't feel entirely reffed. The first int was about half Cousins' fault. It was so off line. Garcon almost made a great play, but instead popped it up.

And they called so many penalties against he Redskins too. Oh wait, they didn't. I was driving for a short part of the game and there was one run play by the Skins for a solid gain and the Redskins announcers commented that Trent Williams got away with a hold.

But blaming the refs for it always being one-sided against the Redskins is a better narrative.

Well... save for the PI, that was blatant, none of the penalties we had were that beneficial.

The ones they got extended their drive and got them out of funks.

Also, when your running game is gashing folks because 73 is literally holding or clipping on every play... that is something.

But we still could've won.

Holding....holding holding holding holding....holding holding holding holding holding. ...holding holding holding...holding.

Holding....holding holding holding holding....holding holding holding holding holding. ...holding holding holding...holding.

Holding.

Kthxbai.

The holding is getting ridiculous I mean straight up muggings and yet we got called for 2 offensive holding penalties ...WTF??!!!

And we always get a call for holding on the first 2-3 plays of every game which is apparently supposed to "set the tone". Then the opponent gets away with it all game. At least we didn't get another call on one of our biggest plays of the game.

And they called so many penalties against he Redskins too. Oh wait, they didn't. I was driving for a short part of the game and there was one run play by the Skins for a solid gain and the Redskins announcers commented that Trent Williams got away with a hold.

But blaming the refs for it always being one-sided against the Redskins is a better narrative.

I guess you don't understand. 32 teams have fans who think the refs always screw them. All 32 groups think the other 31 must be nuts to think it's them getting screwed.

But this group is pretty sure they're right. 

I guess you don't understand. 32 teams have fans who think the refs always screw them. All 32 groups think the other 31 must be nuts to think it's them getting screwed.

But this group is pretty sure they're right. 

If all 32 teams think the refs are doing a bad job... get better refs or build a better rule book.

The most frustrating one was the 15 yard penalty for a horse collar tackle.  I think Murphy, Kerrigan, and Keenan were all blatantly held or clipped and the coaches were all losing their minds and jumping on the sideline pointing at it.

Then the flag came out for horse collar.

Instead of 1st and 20 at their 45-ish, it's 1st and 10 and they're knocking on the door of the red zone.

Like I think everyone is saying.  There is holding on every play, and we even got away with a couple... but when it effects the play directly you have to call it.

If all 32 teams think the refs are doing a bad job... get better refs or build a better rule book.

I'm not saying the NFL doesn't have some head scratching calls or some outright bad crews, but at all levels every team and player sees what they want to see and they think they are always right and the officials are always wrong. It's part of the job description.

but yes, build a better rule book. I do think that would help a lot.

I'm just telling you the horse collar rule, I don't know anything about if hair is part of the uniform.

Looking at the replay, it looked like he grabbed his hair, slightly let go and then grabbed the jersey.  I think our own Matt Jones was grabbed by the hair and pulled backwards.  With the intent of the rule being to keep players from getting bent backwards to protect their knees and such, I would think grabbing the hair would be part of it.   

And yes, the hair is considered part of the uniform.  Thats the Ricky Williams rule.  He was brought down by his dreds and then the next week, he cut them short.

I will say, I think they need to overhaul holding as a rule. Dunno how, but the current iteration is a joke. We all know that our edge rushers are basically bear hugged all game, but sometimes we get away with it too (sometimes not).

We all know the adage that they could call holding every play. If there's a penalty that could be called every play, but isn't because they only look for "egregious" holds, which is subjective to the individual ref, it's probably a bad rule.

Considering we keep investing in edge rushers, that should be priority 1 at the owners meeting. Just make a compilation of missed calls and false positives from around the league (the video would probably be about 8 hours long even if you pull out the fluff), and play of for the owners over and over until they fix it.

I will say, I think they need to overhaul holding as a rule. Dunno how, but the current iteration is a joke. We all know that our edge rushers are basically bear hugged all game, but sometimes we get away with it too (sometimes not).

We all know the adage that they could call holding every play. If there's a penalty that could be called every play, but isn't because they only look for "egregious" holds, which is subjective to the individual ref, it's probably a bad rule.

Considering we keep investing in edge rushers, that should be priority 1 at the owners meeting. Just make a compilation of missed calls and false positives from around the league (the video would probably be about 8 hours long even if you pull out the fluff), and play of for the owners over and over until they fix it.

When they changed the rules to allow OL to extend their arms to block, the onslaught of OL holding on every play began & has never looked back. That, coupled with the strict rules about contact past 5 yards has given the offense a huge advantage. Toss in the rub-routes several teams have perfected (NE, DEN, GB to name a few) and you have a defensive nightmare.

I hate this pass happy NFL. 

How was this not a block in the back on the pick 6? I saw this as it was happening and expected to see the flag. We may still lose but at least make the call man. WTR!

<snip>

Because Grant turned at the last second. I saw it live and thought it was a clip too, but looking at the replay, the blocker went to hit Grant in the side, but, just as he was going to hit him, Grant turned to get it in the back.

When they changed the rules to allow OL to extend their arms to block, the onslaught of OL holding on every play began & has never looked back. That, coupled with the strict rules about contact past 5 yards has given the offense a huge advantage. Toss in the rub-routes several teams have perfected (NE, DEN, GB to name a few) and you have a defensive nightmare.

I hate this pass happy NFL.

Stu Gotts (have no idea if that's spelled right) went off on NE today on his show.

looking at the replay one of the 1st returns for ross. when he is tackled the defender almost loses him and then lifts up is left leg as to trip him. I know its a bang bang play, but I recall us getting burned by something tickie tack last year I believe. and utter trip if you think about it, no need for one to lift the left leg when your on the ground sitting nonetheless.

The most frustrating one was the 15 yard penalty for a horse collar tackle.  I think Murphy, Kerrigan, and Keenan were all blatantly held or clipped and the coaches were all losing their minds and jumping on the sideline pointing at it.

Then the flag came out for horse collar.

Instead of 1st and 20 at their 45-ish, it's 1st and 10 and they're knocking on the door of the red zone.

Like I think everyone is saying.  There is holding on every play, and we even got away with a couple... but when it effects the play directly you have to call it.

also I think looking at how breeland was jumping up and down he was like ya I got a clean tackle.

How was this not a block in the back on the pick 6? I saw this as it was happening and expected to see the flag. We may still lose but at least make the call man. WTR!

I noticed that as it happened... but really, that dude wasn't catching up to Alford.  Alford had already beaten the angle.

Those are the penalties I'm fine with them not calling because they don't effect the play.

Archived