Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What the ref?

Burgold

Thank you

I appreciate your appreciation - my point is still valid - bad calls do not destroy good teams

there is more to games like this than just teams that are good and teams that are bad.  The Redskins are a team that can win some games if things bounce their way

This is pretty close to where I stand on the two HUGE calls in this game. In total, those calls were AT LEAST a 20 point swing and very possibly a 24 point swing. Now, to be clear, I don't think there's a conspiracy or anything. I just think the calls were horrible. We got a couple horrible calls too (the 15-yarder on the kick off comes to mind). The problem was that they just didn't lead to anyting substantial. 

Until we forgot to show up for the second half, I was ready to blame the refs for this loss. But, even without these calls I still think we likely lose today's game. But, much like the NE game where the drops didn't allow us to see how close we could have come, we never got a shot to see what a level playing field would have become. 

When the refs huddled for 15-20 seconds after the Culliver play, I was sure they were going to pick up the flag. I would have really loved to see how the rest of that game plays out at either 21-14 Redskins (after the Culliver play) or 28-21 Panthers (after the Reed play). Again, I still don't see how we win today's game, but even a 41-27 loss would have felt a lot better. 

but why show up if the refs have rigged the game against you?

I just saw a penalty called on a Bengals o-lineman for "rolling over" on the ground. They called it a leg whip, and apparently there's a new rule that an o-lineman after he engages in a cut block, isn't allowed to roll on the ground.

I get that the NFL is trying to make the game safer but they have gone too far. It still has to be football and some of the **** I've seen today makes me SMH.

Not blaming the one call on the pick 6 for the loss what so ever... but that was a huge swing in a tied game, hell it was  A 14 point swing without any points being scored, it totally changed the complexion of the game on a wrong call, TOTALLY! And the Reed holding, pfttt their OL was holding way worse all game with not many calls against them

This is pretty close to where I stand on the two HUGE calls in this game. In total, those calls were AT LEAST a 20 point swing and very possibly a 24 point swing. Now, to be clear, I don't think there's a conspiracy or anything. I just think the calls were horrible. We got a couple horrible calls too (the 15-yarder on the kick off comes to mind). The problem was that they just didn't lead to anyting substantial. 

Until we forgot to show up for the second half, I was ready to blame the refs for this loss. But, even without these calls I still think we likely lose today's game. But, much like the NE game where the drops didn't allow us to see how close we could have come, we never got a shot to see what a level playing field would have become. 

When the refs huddled for 15-20 seconds after the Culliver play, I was sure they were going to pick up the flag. I would have really loved to see how the rest of that game plays out at either 21-14 Redskins (after the Culliver play) or 28-21 Panthers (after the Reed play). Again, I still don't see how we win today's game, but even a 41-27 loss would have felt a lot better. 

I was exactly like you, when the refs huddled for a little bit, I started feeling confident that they were going to pick up the flag.  

Man, what a crucial and crushing call that was.  We would have been up 21-14 with momentum, who knows where we end up, but damn that was brutal

Bigger implication is if the players really do feel that the league has it in for us because of the Redskins name, then that one call not only ruined our chances in the Panthers game, but it will have ruined the season.  

We'll find out Sunday...

I don't know if the name has anything to do with it but I am glad Hatcher said it.Those calls changed the whole game and knocked the energy out of the Skins.They took away 20 pts maybe more b/c of those terrible calls.I think the refs, should have to have press conferences after every game in every sport.After sorry calls like today and all year they should have to face the media and answer questions about their calls.

So I missed most of the game. Can someone list all of the questionable calls in one post and how they impacted the game at the point in which they occurred? Thanks.

Game tied at 14. Newton passes to Olsen. Culliver comes up and pops Olsen, dislodging the ball, and somehow Culliver manages to snag the ball out of mid air and run it back for a TD to put the Skins up 21-14. Except they called it unnecessary roughness on Culliver, so not only was the TD brought back, Carolina got 15 yards and they scored a few plays later. 21-14 Carolina on top when it should have been 21-14 Skins. 14 point swing.

Before the half (2:30 left or something like that), Skins down 28-14 with the ball on about the 20. Read option play and Kirk kept it. Ran left for 15 yards to make it 1st and goal inside the 5. Skins due for the ball first in the second half, so a TD to cut it to one score would do a lot for momentum going into the half. Except that read option play got called back on a really bad holding call on Reed. Next play or the play after, in a tough down/distance situation, Kirk fumbles to Carolina. Carolina marches down and kicks a FG. 10 point swing and the game was over before halftime.

Game tied at 14. Newton passes to Olsen. Culliver comes up and pops Olsen, dislodging the ball, and somehow Culliver manages to snag the ball out of mid air and run it back for a TD to put the Skins up 21-14. Except they called it unnecessary roughness on Culliver, so not only was the TD brought back, Carolina got 15 yards and they scored a few plays later. 21-14 Carolina on top when it should have been 21-14 Skins. 14 point swing.

plus that TD involved a couple more penalties, they really wanted Carolina playing from ahead

was also a third one that I would like to see more info on, but after the hold call on Jordan Reed that negated the 1st and goal inside the 5, cousins was strip sacked, and Carolina got the ball, however I saw one picture from twitter that seemed to show that Cousins had possession of the ball with his knee down

Granted, I haven't done a lot of digging into that one, but seems like it could have at least been reviewed as all turnovers are subject to review, maybe we end up getting a FG out of that drive and it's 28-17 going to half, instead of 31-14.

Anyone have more info on that one? or watched the replay?  It will be a few days before I can watch this game again

I don't know if the name has anything to do with it but I am glad Hatcher said it.Those calls changed the whole game and knocked the energy out of the Skins.They took away 20 pts maybe more b/c of those terrible calls.I think the refs, should have to have press conferences after every game in every sport.After sorry calls like today and all year they should have to face the media and answer questions about their calls.

The pick 6/ unnecessary roughness completely changed the game, no doubt. Where I disagree is with Hatch calling it out. Had we not rolled over and died afterwards, perhaps it would have been better received. We didn't do anything from that point on to warrant sympathy.

I think the refs call came at the worst possible time, when we had momentum and could answer every Panthers scoring drive. We then just killed ourselves with a fumble, and from then on we collapsed. Being ahead 21-14 instead of down 14-21 is a huge difference.

Your point to disprove bad reffing is by pointing out bad reffing... or is that one example 27 years ago when there was no instant in replay invalidates every bad call today?

Pretty weak point if you ask me.

The Redskins were horribly reffed in the second quarter. You can believe it was a result of sheer Mr. Magoo level blindness and incompetence or you can think that there was something else going on. You can even think there's something in the middle, but to think the Redskins weren't horribly reffed is ridiculous.

Instant replay was used in 1987 - look it up and get your facts right before you wade in

You say we were horribly reffed in the 2nd quarter - that leaves us with quarters 1, 3 and 4 - as I said bad reffing does not destroy good teams - we stink.

Granted, I haven't done a lot of digging into that one, but seems like it could have at least been reviewed as all turnovers are subject to review, maybe we end up getting a FG out of that drive and it's 28-17 going to half, instead of 31-14.

Saw a pic on Twitter. Kirk's knee was on the ground, two hands on the ball with the ball clutched to his chest. No Panther even touching the ball. It wasn't a fumble... not even close.

Instant replay was used in 1987 - look it up and get your facts right before you wade in

You say we were horribly reffed in the 2nd quarter - that leaves us with quarters 1, 3 and 4 - as I said bad reffing does not destroy good teams - we stink.

What does the fact that we stunk yesterday have to do with the fact that we were royally screwed over in the second? These two things are not mutually exclusive. Refs did everything in their power In the second and early third to make sure the Panthers won. The fact that they didn't need to and the Panthers were teh better team is irrelevant.

The Culliver pick and the Cousins fumble are just the two most blatant screw jobs, but there were four or five other calls made against the skins in that one ten minute period which were blatantly wrong. Favoritism, bias, one way-ineptitude, having different standards for different teams... whatever you want to call it, the refs screwed the 'skins over. They did so without hesitation, pause, and in ways that didn't care if their calls had merit.

What does the fact that we stunk yesterday have to do with the fact that we were royally screwed over in the second? These two things are not mutually exclusive. Refs did everything in their power In the second and early third to make sure the Panthers won. The fact that they didn't need to and the Panthers were teh better team is irrelevant.

The Culliver pick and the Cousins fumble are just the two most blatant screw jobs, but there were four or five other calls made against the skins in that one ten minute period which were blatantly wrong. Favoritism, bias, one way-ineptitude, having different standards for different teams... whatever you want to call it, the refs screwed the 'skins over. They did so without hesitation, pause, and in ways that didn't care if their calls had merit.

Yeah, whatever - the refs were nasty to us because we're racist LOL - we stink, what you saw is what happens when a garbage team meet a 9-0 team.

I'm more concerned Olsen was considered a defenseless receiver, but still had the awareness to complete the pass, see Culliver, then duck his head to decrease his strike zone, bascially forcing a situation where his head was going to get to Culliver before anything else.

There's no possible way in that time frame that Culliver could have made the right play, and defensive players are now being set up for failure or worse getting hurt trying to play by the new rules. That call effectively ended the game for us.

I also have problems with head to head hits where the initial blow is to the shoulder. That's more of a league problem than this particular game, but it bugs me. I think spearing should be called. I think helmet to helmet hits are a real problem, but I think if the blow is to the chest or shoulder and momentum carries the defender up or if the blow is to the shoulder/chest and the receiver ducks down causing incidental helmet contact it shouldn't be a penalty.

Culliver's hit looked completely cleanthrough my biased eyes.

Thank you

I appreciate your appreciation - my point is still valid - bad calls do not destroy good teams

We are not a good team. We are not good enough to overcome a call that takes points off the board against an undefeated team on the road. Can't overcome that.

Regarding the Doug Williams play against Denver...are you serious??? I think Denver was up 10-0 at the time? Ok so let's say they get another 7 or 3 there. They still got ROLLED for 42 points!!! They were dominated in every phase of the game. That play would not have made a difference one way or another. Gibbs basically called off the dogs in the 4th q.

Yesterday's call probably makes no difference either cause Carolina would have got the ball back and abused are lifeless defense and tied it back up 21-21. But you can't make calls like and not loose integrity. You can't make calls like that and think that it's going to get swept under the rug. That was seriously a pathetic call and I hate seeing that kind of crap on both sides.

The refs destroy the sport in these kinds of contest. The NFL likes the idea of the unstoppable juggernauts going back to the dynasty days of the 70s  80s and 90s... but they are propped up by the officals.

I am not even talking about this game. But I was thinking the Patriots Giants game a couple of weeks ago . I knew by hook or by crook the Patriots were sure to get into field goal range - and it is things like ignoring blatant holds on game winning drives or giving favoured teams mysterious roughing penalties.

Refs on their own cannot win or loose the game but they can swing it one way or the other.   

yet there is no reprimand or punishment.

Fine them....but their union will never allow it

And then we get the replacements....

only answer is to make everything reviewable....why the **** not? let them look at their judgements in slo-mo

i think its a more bigger problem than fine them bud.  The nfl wants to have the panthers undefeated going into turkie day playing the cowboys. all the calls that were made against us, I would say more than 70% could have been not called and were very potent and selective on when they were called.  The timing of them when the game was tight or when the skins were showing some signs of life should also be noted.  Im not making any excuse they came out flat after halftime, but after a while when you know the ref's are giving you the shaft. then, you need to question who is controlling the puppets? NFL ? $$$$ ?  

There is no conspiracy. Bad calls, but it happens.

Good teams make their own luck.

This^^^

The bad calls didn't lose the game for the Skins.  Five turnovers did, 0 yards by Morris and Jones combined, terrible tackling and ****ty defense in general did,....shall I go on?

The Panthers are a much better team than the Redskins at this point, period.  Get over it and move on to the next game against the Giants.

Archived