Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Use RGIII as utility player (for 2015)

Renegade7

Use RGIII as a utility player for 2015 season?  

142 members have voted

1. 1. Use RGIII as a utility player for 2015 season?

• Yes
    • No
    • This thread ran outta steam before it even started. (Is what it is)

$16 million dollar utility player? To do exactly what he doesn't do anymore? If he played or they coached him like an "untraditional qb" they'd be a playoff team, but no because...feelings.

You're delusional if you still think this. Kyle Shanahan could come back with that same offense and he couldn't run it anymore, nevermind stay healthy in it.

I was going to post this earlier but decided against it. But here it goes any way. This entire thread is just a thinly veiled let's beat up on Robert thread. We really should be better than this.

I was really hoping they would just release him and be done with it. I guess one thing to hope for is they are just waiting for him to clear the concussion protocol and then move him.

But this continued attack on him, his character, his abilities, his commitment - all of it has been said and done 100,000s of times. It's really time to just move on.

I of course voted no.

Oh and the person who said picking up the option was the wrong decision - it was the right decision at the time. You think this costs the team money? Imagine had he played even half way decent, it would have cost us the $16M or more, or we would have just plain lost him as he would have been a free agent. They had to pick up his option as it gave the team the best amount of control.

I'm not treating it as an opportunity to throw pot-shots at the guy. What's done is done. As fans, I feel we have the right to us our imagination or out-right question the logic of keeping him here if we're basically scared to use him.

It make more sense if we're waiting for him to pass concussion protocol to release him, but it will be hard to get someone to trade for him with everyone knowing that and no effort to increase his trade value.

You're delusional if you still think this. Kyle Shanahan could come back with that same offense and he couldn't run it anymore, nevermind stay healthy in it.

I respectfully disagree. He hasn't run it without the brace. Let me have this. When he's holding a clipboard somewhere else let me have this. To be fair, the only proof is that he CAN run it. Again, let me have this. One more time, let me have this.

Nah, after seeing how the NFL has adjusted to Colin in SF and Russell in SEA concerning the zone read offense, I feel its safe the say the ship has sailed on that being a viable, full-time offense. It's just another wrinkle now, and I've seen non-running threat QBs pull it off from the stand-point of defenses not expecting it.

Some are still confused about the $16 million.

My understanding is it is guaranteed:

1) If he is injured at any time during this year and cannot play.

2) If he makes the roster next year after a certain date next spring.

My understanding is, we can void the year:

1) if he stays healthy this year and

2) we cut/trade/release him before a certain date in the spring. 

Oh and the person who said picking up the option was the wrong decision - it was the right decision at the time.

It looked like the right decision at the time based on the reports coming out of Ashburn that Griffin was the starter.

But as we've seen and Jay has told you, he only said that to keep from having to talk about it for 6 months.  Our front office had to know this.  They had to know that the Robert is the starter stuff was purely fluff.  I don't understand how knowing that you can sign up for 16 million next season.  It only makes sense if you truly have belief that he's your guy and you are going to give him time to prove it. 

The 16 mil was an insurance policy against RG3 blowing up this year.  They would have looked incredibly foolish if he did (does?) play well and they did not exercise the option.  In the end it appears he won't and they are out nothing. 

Playing RG3 as a utility player is so dumb on about 20 levels.  His injury proneness being #1.

My understanding is, we can void the year:

1) if he stays healthy this year and

2) we cut/trade/release him before a certain date in the spring. 

It looked like the right decision at the time based on the reports coming out of Ashburn that Griffin was the starter.

But as we've seen and Jay has told you, he only said that to keep from having to talk about it for 6 months.  Our front office had to know this.  They had to know that the Robert is the starter stuff was purely fluff.  I don't understand how knowing that you can sign up for 16 million next season.  It only makes sense if you truly have belief that he's your guy and you are going to give him time to prove it. 

I just can't stress this enough - we only owe him $16M if:  He is so injured this year that he cannot pass the team physical at the start of the 2016 NFL season. If he gets injured and even injured to the point he can't finish the season but passes the physical and is cleared to play by the end of the 2015 football season (late March 2016 believe), we can release him with no obligation.

We can release at any time during the season and he is not owed a dime.

As far as creating trade value, the only way that happens is if he is playing QB and at a reasonably high level. I just do not see that happening for more reasons than there is space - not to mention they been discussed ad-nausea.

If it were me, I would just release him. Let him find another team. If he plays well great for him.  I have my doubts but I am  still rooting for him as a person. I think he is a much better kid than people give him credit for. A lot of the crap he gets is not deserved. Some is, but a lot of it is not.

Meanwhile they put up a statue for a murderer in Baltimore.

Isn't it that the guarantee only kicks in if he suffers a severe injury in the 2015 season, and is still suffering from the same injury when the 2016 NFL year begins in the spring?

So, if you are Griffin fan then you can't be a Redskins fan?  Hmmm, that's an interesting perspective. Care to elaborate? Also, do you have data to support Robert so lacking in character t hat he would take a season ending           

I am a huge Robert fan but I agree with the decision to start Kirk and to move on from Robert. I wish him success and hope he does well, either here or somewhere else. Not sure how that makes me any less a Redskins fan. I would be interested in hearing that thought process.

Sorry I couldn't get back sooner, this pesky little thing called work keeps distracting me.

I don't envision you as a 'Griffin fan' first, then a Redskins fan.

But you have to admit, there are Griffin first fans, then Redskin fans second. It happens alot with high profile players; some people attach themselves to that person, and when things go bad, in that person's eyes, its everyone else's fault except the person they idolize. Thats where the disconnect comes into play. It reminds me of Britney spears, and that wacko nutjob on youtube that everyone has seen, crying to leave her alone!

Thats not to the extent that some fans are with Griffin, but relatively close. The notion that a star QB like him can have so much of an impact, positive and negative, coupled with the media baited and waiting, it a nasty stew of trouble. 

To answer your question,  yes, you can be a fan of Griffin AND the Redskins; not to be a dead fish and follow the stream, but when its blatantly obvious he has issues he has not solved as of yet, its difficult to not shine a light on someone who blindly defends him.

Making a poll,    <EDIT>    Try to have some fun with it, please don't be a jerk.

I get that you was hoping for some more humorous type responses. But it's hard to ignore that 16 mill.

Any time I try to imagine him playing another position, it's like; Nah, he'll get creamed playing wide receiver or that he'll probably injure himself playing safety. What about punt returner?........Doh, there goes our sixteen big ones.

(I do realise that technically they ain't our sixteen big ones, but you get what I mean).

<Edit> After re-reading the OP, it looks like I may have got a tad confused as to the precise definition of "non-traditional QB role" but there you go, I've wrote it now.

Rg III is lame duck. There are 16 miillion + 1 reasons to keep RG on the bench. The +1 reason, is for not being able to read the defensive back field , run through his passing progressions and throw a pass to a open receiver. I guess I just added +2 and  +3 reasons to keep RG III on the bench. :P Hail

Put him WIDE right, as in 1 yard away from the sideline, force Miami to cover him; being he has speed, they'll prob slant the safety to him, opening up holes for DJax or Garcon. Just don't throw it to him, they will knock him into the 6th row.

couldn't be any worse than having him drop back to pass ... frankly I'd consider this ... I'm sure he's still pretty damn fast in a straight line.  Keep him on the side and away from head hunting DBs in the middle ... no crossing patterns ... just fly ... run to the empty space.

I'm not embarrassed at all.

you should be. I'm drunk at work. Running my mouth, throwing opinions everywhere, pants fell off 3 times already. And I still think you should be the embarrassed one. $16 mil random play guy, made of glass. Why would you think that's a good idea? Why? Have you honestly put any thought into this? Really? Remember that last time? In Pittsburgh? Holy crap was that bad. We don't want to do that again.

He comes in, do you think no one notices? No one cares?

Archived