Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Conspiracy Thread

Reaper Skins

1 hour ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

No, I get it. I just think there's always a story line so why meddle? Aaron Rodgers was a huge story all year. Mahomes going back-to-back and being the face of the NFL trumps the rest...

I'm just saying that none of these stories so outweighs the others to justify the risk for the NFL in actually fixing games. I'm sure there are biases during the course of a game where a ref throws a flag or eats a flag in cases based on who it is. But I'm just saying that I'd be shocked to ever find out that someone sat in an office somewhere and said "Let's make sure Brady gets his 7th this year"

The league wanted Tampa Bay and Brady to win because no team had ever won in their home stadium before.  No team had ever even PLAYED in their home stadium before

If Brady had said "No way I'm playing in Tampa Bay" and signed somewhere else, then there would have been no reason to push for Brady to get his seventh.

the key is the location, not the number of rings

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

My issue with those theories in the NFL is...why Brady this year? I could be convinced of some shadiness or favoritism at times in order to help a household name win against a nobody team. I don't think that happens, by the way, but at least I can understand the logic. 

But why would the NFL care THAT MUCH if Brady went to the Super Bowl over Rodgers? Or Brady over Mahomes in the Super Bowl? Even if you could prove that it would result in a few more eyeballs (which I'm not convinced), it's a lot of effort and risk for a very modest return. 

Brady to the bucs was the biggest storyline of 2020.  It was also fuel for the brady vs belichick debate.  And the bucs have a lot more star power than g bay.  Also, brady is the most hated man in the nfl.  In all of sports, ratings are higher when ppl can tune in to root against the villain (ie yankees, lakers, etc).

A lot of ppl tuned out this year due to covid, NFLs stance on social issues etc. If there was ever a year the nfl wanted to maximize interest, this would be it imo.  And having a repeat champ would've been less exciting than this newly assembled dream team.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, KillBill26 said:

Brady to the bucs was the biggest storyline of 2020.  It was also fuel for the brady vs belichick debate.  And the bucs have a lot more star power than g bay.  Also, brady is the most hated man in the nfl.  In all of sports, ratings are higher when ppl can tune in to root against the villain (ie yankees, lakers, etc).

A lot of ppl tuned out this year due to covid, NFLs stance on social issues etc. If there was ever a year the nfl wanted to maximize interest, this would be it imo.  And having a repeat champ would've been less exciting than this newly assembled dream team.

That's laughable to be honest. Again, the risk/reward is so miniscule that it's not worth it. 

9 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

That's laughable to be honest. Again, the risk/reward is so miniscule that it's not worth it. 

I can understand that you don't agree, but to say it's laughable that a billion dollar industry wouldn't be motivated to maximize interest / revenue is a bit naive.  I'm not saying it definitely is the case, but all those calls throughout every game of the playoffs along with my points about why tampa winning the SB is good for the NFL is a bit of a coincidence to me, which at least raises the possibility.  But to each their own.  

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, KillBill26 said:

I can understand that you don't agree, but to say it's laughable that a billion dollar industry wouldn't be motivated to maximize interest / revenue is a bit naive.  I'm not saying it definitely is the case, but all those calls throughout every game of the playoffs along with my points about why tampa winning the SB is good for the NFL is a bit of a coincidence to me, which at least raises the possibility.  But to each their own.  

Being motivated to maximize revenue makes perfect sense. Being motivated to POSSIBLY SLIGHTLY maximize revenue by putting at risk the entire league's credibility and potentially turning off a large fraction of the fan base does not make any sense. None. 

Again, I have no doubt that an occasional call goes a certain way due to a player or coach having a reputation. We see it all the time in every sport. But there is no way that there's any league-wide conspiracy here. That's not naive, that's using logical thought. 

36 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

Being motivated to maximize revenue makes perfect sense. Being motivated to POSSIBLY SLIGHTLY maximize revenue by putting at risk the entire league's credibility and potentially turning off a large fraction of the fan base does not make any sense. None. 

Again, I have no doubt that an occasional call goes a certain way due to a player or coach having a reputation. We see it all the time in every sport. But there is no way that there's any league-wide conspiracy here. That's not naive, that's using logical thought. 

To be clear, I'm not saying I 100% believe the fix was in. I'm saying between all the calls they got this postseason and my belief that the best scenario for the NFL was tom brady in the super bowl, that it raises a red flag.

I guess where we disagree is you think the NFL would not give calls to a certain team if the end result didn't increase revenue/ratings/interest?  I disagree.  You also say a t bay vs kc super bowl would only POSSIBLY SLIGHTLY raise revenue/ratings/interest over a buffalo vs green bay super bowl, smaller markets with less star power without the greatest qb today vs greatest qb of all time matchup, and without the biggest storyline of the entire 2020 season?  Let's put the "fix is in" aside for a second, the KC vs t bay was a DEFINITELY MUCH better outcome for the NFL than g bay vs buffalo.  If you don't believe that, let me get your contact info, bc I've got a beautiful piece of oceanfront property in Nebraska to sell you.

52 minutes ago, KillBill26 said:

Let's put the "fix is in" aside for a second, the KC vs t bay was a DEFINITELY MUCH better outcome for the NFL than g bay vs buffalo.  If you don't believe that, let me get your contact info, bc I've got a beautiful piece of oceanfront property in Nebraska to sell you.

I do want to take a look at that...

I don't actually believe the teams participating move the needle all that much in a Super Bowl. Maybe in a regionally televised game, but the Super Bowl? Green Bay played in the 2nd most watched Super Bowl of all-time (and Arizona played in the 4th). I don't think "big markets" matters all that much or you'd see the fix in for the Rams, Giants, Jets, Redskins, and Cowboys much more. 

Again...what I'm saying in the risk doesn't even approach justifying the potential reward. This isn't me defending the purity of the NFL...I would consider this theory if they thought they'd double viewership or something. I look at benefits when deciding intent...and there just is very marginal upside for something that would have devastated repercussions if ever discovered. 

Edited by TD_washingtonredskins
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

I do want to take a look at that...

I don't actually believe the teams participating move the needle all that much in a Super Bowl. Maybe in a regionally televised game, but the Super Bowl? Green Bay played in the 2nd most watched Super Bowl of all-time (and Arizona played in the 4th). I don't think "big markets" matters all that much or you'd see the fix in for the Rams, Giants, Jets, Redskins, and Cowboys much more. 

Again...what I'm saying in the risk doesn't even approach justifying the potential reward. This isn't me defending the purity of the NFL...I would consider this theory if they thought they'd double viewership or something. I look at benefits when deciding intent...and there just is very marginal upside for something that would have devastated repercussions if ever discovered. 

I understand your premise.  You make valid points.

When I mentioned market size, that was just a (relatively small) piece of the equation.  The other points I made, such as today's best qb vs the goat, brady as a villain, brady vs belichick debate, biggest 2020 storyline, etc are a much bigger factor, and would appeal to even the more passive fans, and all the people who don't have a horse in the race who will be more inclined to tune in is significant.   I know I saw it first hand in new england, a ton of interest here locally, even my 82 year old mother in law wanted to know how Tom did, and she couldn't name one other player in the NFL.  Fair to say we disagree on the increased appeal for the SB with brady involved; you think it's minimal, and I think it's more significant.   

And another thing I want to add, I don't think a favorable super bowl matchup is potentially orchestrated by goodell summoning the refs and discussing the scheme, which would leave the possibility of having the plot being discovered as you alluded to.  These refs are smart enough to know that the nfl wants KC vs t bay.  Maybe if they make it happen, that helps them get their desirable assignments in the future.  Also, being a stakeholder/employee of the nfl, I'm sure they see the connection between the empire making more money leads to their future pay and benefits increasing as well.  I'm not saying this is definitely the case, just a thought.

Again, I'm not saying it was 100% fixed, just that it makes me wonder if it was all purely a coincidence or not.  🍻

Even here in England, I had got sick of hearing Goat versus Baby Goat. Because of the time it's usually diehard NFL fans that stay up for the game but the hype this year was absurd. And I guess the NFL is looking at global viewing figures not just US so that hype level was presumably orchestrated.

I'm with Killbill that you only have to slightly favour one team to make a big difference in the NFL. We all remember the New Orleans win after Hurricane Katrina (I think it was). That was fixed beyond a doubt.

Everyone and their mother knew that the NFL was going to set up the Bucaneers with Tom Brady to play the Super Bowl in Tampa Bay.  

It minimized the amount of COVID related travel logistics by cutting the amount of players and staff in half that need to travel and ensured the game could be properly planned and coordinated well in advance.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Reffing was not good last night.

Besides the 2 point conversion call, they ruled Young's strip sack an incomplete pass and missed where Seals Jones was clearly having his left arm held and yanked back as he went for a TD pass.

A very poor showing for the officials last night.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, SkinsGuy said:

Reffing was not good last night.

Besides the 2 point conversion call, they ruled Young's strip sack an incomplete pass and missed where Seals Jones was clearly having his left arm held and yanked back as he went for a TD pass.

A very poor showing for the officials last night.

Youngs strip sack was an incomplete pass, upon review it was actually quite obvious. 

Having said that the officiating was awful, the things you mentioned plus the horrible spot on the sideline for mckisic. 

It was just dreadful. 

Edited by redskinss
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Reaper Skins said:

Snub of the century.  The Anti-Washington Bias is real...

Lockett, Landry,  BEASLEY, and holy ****...COREY DAVIS.  All on the list instead of Terry.  There are other debateable ones but those are egregiously terrible.

• Thumb down 1

On 8/31/2021 at 6:06 PM, Reaper Skins said:

Snub of the century.  The Anti-Washington Bias is real...

It's not just the NFL. DC might be the most overlooked city in all of sports. We are a major market, the Nation's Capital, yet we're treated like some AAA, minor-league city.