Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Conspiracy Thread

Reaper Skins

39 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

I suspect the name has something to do with it

Not to get this political, but I can't tell you how many people say they'd buy new stuff for the first time ever if the name changed.  I'm not sure how much of this is posturing and fake, but it's a common refrain.

Those are the overt words of people who want to root for the team.  It's impossible to rule out biases, and a lot of things can be subconscious.  I've made a conscious decision to follow and root for the team to do well despite the negative perceptions surrounding Snyder, the name, etc.  But I know people who feel uncomfortable associating themselves with those perceptions, and without realizing it are drifting away.  it morphs into someone tuning into every game, but only in private at home.  They feel too awkward when out at a bar or elsewhere.

I think part of the media bias stems from a desire to avoid controversy.  When they try and neutrally evaluate the team, it becomes difficult (if not impossible for some) to not have subconscious thoughts of organization issues, owner meddling issues, and name issues then seep into their thoughts.  I think some of the media bias happens without the media even realizing it.  They just subconsciously associate the team with the term "issues".

On the other hand, if the name is changed, I suspect media bias would then shift to being overly optimistic about quality of players and on-field performances.  Despite players and performance not correlating with the team name before and after, the media wouldn't be able to help themselves for awhile.

• Haha 1

Hottest of hot takes:

Trent wants to sit out for part or all of this season in order to fully heal and ensure his career will extend into his late 30s.  He told the front office, coaching staff, and Donald Penn his plan and they are all on the same page.  Donald gets a one year deal to show other teams he can still play at a starting LT level, and we get a healthy Trent next year or for a playoff push later this season once our QB situation has resolved itself. 

We then turn Trent's missing paychecks into a signing bonus on his next deal when we extend him after the season, making him a Redskin for life and letting him re-enter the lineup fully healed just as our new QB gets the offense up and running at a consistently high, playoff ready level.

Bruce and I smile smugly, crack a few Coors light and laugh at the lowly media peons.  We knew the REAL situation all along....

image.jpeg.b06829bac2195ef561aa231f5808a352.jpeg

• Haha 3

• 2 weeks later...

Two of the more egregious blown calls from last night's game against the Bengals.  Thank god it wasn't regular season.  Gotta love those hometown calls!

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/redskins/kelvin-harmon-was-called-offensive-pass-interference-it-definitely-wasnt-offensive-pass

Edited by Reaper Skins
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

In light of Reed's hit last night.  Lets not forget how the refs chose to act (or NOT act), the last time Reed took a clear hit to the helmet when we played Dallas last year. 

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/11/22/jordan-reed-hit-helmet-redskins-cowboys-video

I'll be interested to see what kind of punishment, if any, the league will give to Neal when it involves hitting a defenseless Redskin in the head.

Edited by Reaper Skins

• 3 weeks later...

This is my theory...."they".. I don't know who they is but "they".. want the Washington Redskins out of the league. They will allow snyder and his Redskins 1 last superbowl win under the name Redskins but than need to change the name...snyder agrees and changes the name the following season..play at FedEx for however long till the new stadium is ready..move to the new stadium with a new name..??

• 1 month later...

Just to put this on the radar.  The refs who botched the Packers/Lions Game last night will be officiating the Redskins game next week.

http://www.footballzebras.com/2019/10/week-7-referee-assignments-2019/

We made a concerted effort to meet with officials last week and determine proper technique along the lines.  The result was a season low for flags and penalties called on our offense.  (zero called according to this site)

https://www.nflpenalties.com/team/washington-redskins?year=2019

I will be very interested to see how our linemen are treated this week.  Vegas and sports betting sites will obviously be expecting a 49ers victory, let's see if our offense goes back to its "1st and 20" tendency this week.

Edited by Reaper Skins

• 2 months later...

More Preferential Treatment for the Cowboys because the NFL loves them

It’s a philosophical choice. Do we skirt or out-and-out break the rules to make sure the common sense thing happens, or do we enforce the rules and make a stupid mistake have a consequence to the team who committed the stupid mistake?

The Rams lost the coin toss, and quarterback Dak Prescott had to select the Cowboys option for the first half. There are two options, noted in the book as “privileges”:

1. Receive or kick
  2. Which goal to defend

Because they won the toss, they are allowed to either defer their first choice of privileges to the second half, or declare an option #1 or #2 for the first half. The rule on the coin flip options is the same at all levels of football, and the option to select “kick” is older than the NFL itself. The defer option was added to the NFL rules in 2008.

The choice from Prescott did not go smoothly. The exchange with referee Walt Anderson went this way.

o3Ze__SC_normal.jpeg

Dak Prescott didn’t use the word “defer” after Dallas won the pregame coin toss. Because of that, the Rams started the game with the ball and will receive to start the 2nd half.

Embedded video

UPDATE: Dak Prescott did say defer to the 2nd half, but only after he said "defense" and "kick."

Embedded video

Prescott: We want to play defense. We want to kick it. Kicking it that way.

Anderson: You want to kick.

Prescott: We defer to the second half.

Anderson: Okay, you’re gonna kick.

By doing so, the Cowboys were resign to the fact that they would kick off both halves. This is reminiscent of the Abner Haynes in the 1962 AFL championship game, where he famously said “we’ll kick to the clock.” Referee Harold Bourne accepted the word kick without regard to field position

In this case Prescott clearly said kick twice, even though he added “that way” on his second utterance. But the rule is clear and unambiguous. The captain’s first choice cannot be changed, under Rule 4-2-2:

A captain’s first choice from any alternative privileges listed above is final and not subject to change.

Obviously, what Prescott wanted to do, by any measure of strategy, is “defer.” This means the Rams get the first choice of #1 or #2 for the first half, and the Cowboys get first choice at the second half. Basically, it is reversing the result of the coin toss to get the choice after halftime. But, Prescott said he would kick, which is Option #1. That gives the Rams the #2 choice in the first half. Rams will then have first choice in the second half, and likely will elect to receive. The Cowboys won the toss, and have the honor of kicking off for both halves!

Or so we thought.

Senior vice president of officiating Al Riveron used very questionable reasoning to intervene and give the Cowboys the ball in the second half. (We only know that centralized replay intervened, and a decision of this magnitude would be made by Riveron and not one of the replay deputies. We do not know if Riveron was pressured by someone else above him.) Rams coach Sean McVay was unaware of this reversal when the team emerged for the second half, according to Fox Sports reporter Erin Andrews, which obviously disadvantages the Rams halftime strategy. This is an extraordinary use of powers that he doesn’t even have and sets a dangerous precedent in Riveron’s ability to insert himself into the game. 

As relayed on the game broadcast by Mike Pereira, the rules analyst who once had Riveron’s position, Riveron used the following justification that the coin flip is a “game administration” aspect, as listed under Rule 15-3-9:

The Replay Official and designated members of the Officiating department may consult with on-field officials, or conduct a replay review, of game administration issues, including: (a) penalty enforcement; (b) the proper down; (c) spot of a foul; and (d) the game clock.

This is a marginal opening for Riveron, but one that’s loosely parallel to the unwritten procedure that allows replay to get involved in spotting aggressors in fights that occur during pregame warmups. However, the authority of replay comes to an end once a play has been run. Not only is this egregious exercise of authority not supported by the rules, but it leaves the league in a precarious position, long after Riveron leaves his post, of having the ability to retroactively apply judgment.

What happens when a crew drops a down, and it’s not discovered until three plays later

What if there should be time left on the clock on the next-to-last down of the game?

How much pine tar was on that bat?

What happens when in a conference championship game — ?

Anderson was correct to take the clear choice of kick, although in the case of Haynes, a case can be made that “we’ll kick to the clock” is not a valid choice, since it presents two answers. Literally, the word kick came first for Haynes, which is what the referee went with on that day. Here, Prescott said he would kick, then kick in a direction, then defer after questioned by the referee. Even though the first choice is irrevocable, should a referee exercise preventative officiating and clarify an unusual choice? If a referee is placed in a position to make these decisions, should his boss parachute into the game and make an apparent equity decision that actually creates other inequities?

All of the above considered, the game finished without Riveron commenting through a press release or tweet how or why this change was made. This is completely unacceptable, and exceeds the poor decision to remain silent following the 2018 NFC Conference Championship controversy. In the fourth quarter of the Sunday night game, the NFL released the pool report that Riveron conducted with Calvin Watkins of the Dallas Morning NewsRiveron did not address the irrevocability of the first choice nor when he interceded in reversing the coin-toss option.

The intervention from Riveron aside, the weirdness is usually found in the overtime flip when teams sometimes opt to kick off in overtime, and it is another entry in a historical list of coin flip flubs

http://www.footballzebras.com/2019/12/riveron-reverses-cowboys-botched-coin-toss-setting-a-dangerous-precedent-for-intervention/

Edited by Reaper Skins
  • Thanks 2

Compilation on youtube that shows all the terrible calls made by officials so far this season.  Pretty ridiculous to see how much these refs are controlling the flow and outcome of these games.  Negating sacks, turnovers, and changes of possessions, and almost always to the detriment of the team that "isn't supposed to win" that week.

8 minutes in has the Redskins/Eagles game from last week.  Commentator makes a mention about "when you've got a record like the Redskins, these kind of calls always seem to go against you"

Edited by Reaper Skins
  • Thanks 1

• 5 months later...

Ok...I'm not sure what you folks(people in the d.c area/redskins country)are seeing and hearing, but I have seen multiple reports now on profootballtalk.com and the recent one is saying the mayor is demanding for the Redskins to change there name. 

Here is my prediction, and I'm willing to even bet money. $100.00 in fact.

The nfl will make a proposal to Dan Snyder he cant refuse. We all understand what's going on in America right now. The nfl will award the Redskins one last superbowl win this year. If ya dont think the nfl controls games and the outcomes..and I dont mean every single game all year...important ones is all..your off your rockers. The Washington Redskins get there final superbowl and the NFL awards Snyder like 2 first round picks..or 1..the nfl funds a new stadium and the Washington Redskins are no longer. The Confederate flag out of nascar...statues being torn down left and right...yeeaaahh the name will be changed.

• Haha 1

Never read a dumber post. Not about the name change part, the idea that the NFL as a league could manipulate an entire season to the point where they "give" a team a SB before the season starts. That's some seriously wacked out thinking. 

Come on Tater. Why would you even watch a sport where you thought this was remotely a possibility, what a waste of time that would be.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, bakedtater1 said:

Ok...I'm not sure what you folks(people in the d.c area/redskins country)are seeing and hearing, but I have seen multiple reports now on profootballtalk.com and the recent one is saying the mayor is demanding for the Redskins to change there name. 

Here is my prediction, and I'm willing to even bet money. $100.00 in fact.

The nfl will make a proposal to Dan Snyder he cant refuse. We all understand what's going on in America right now. The nfl will award the Redskins one last superbowl win this year. If ya dont think the nfl controls games and the outcomes..and I dont mean every single game all year...important ones is all..your off your rockers. The Washington Redskins get there final superbowl and the NFL awards Snyder like 2 first round picks..or 1..the nfl funds a new stadium and the Washington Redskins are no longer. The Confederate flag out of nascar...statues being torn down left and right...yeeaaahh the name will be changed.

37 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Never read a dumber post. Not about the name change part, the idea that the NFL as a league could manipulate an entire season to the point where they "give" a team a SB before the season starts. That's some seriously wacked out thinking. 

Come on Tater. Why would you even watch a sport where you thought this was remotely a possibility, what a waste of time that would be.

Then what will our 'reward' be ? 🙂

3 hours ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

And nobody would think it was suspicious that we won the Superbowl and got a couple of first round picks, then changed our name. Sounds completely reasonable lol. 

Noooo it'll be a big thing..a big announcement thing...congratulations for being a part of the league for so long..yadda yadda yadda... correct me if I'm wrong but didn't new franchises coming into the league get first-round picks?..I'm telling ya its gonna happen.

3 hours ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

You've been wasting your time than...like I said if you truly believe the nfl dont have there thumb in the pie than your nuts... it'll be something privately discussed between the NFL and Dan Snyder that no one will know about and suprise the skins win the sb..and your full of ****..I've posted on this site several times..pffff dumbest post ever read lol

Edited by bakedtater1
  • Haha 2

Ohhhhhhh aaaand we dont play any primetime games...all games completely under the radar..alot easier for the refs and nfl to fix.... with some half-decent QB play and a killer defense I see how we could be set up to win the Super Bowl. The Redskins win the Superbowl this year and then by March of 2021 the announcement is made that the Washington Redskins will no longer be. The name is changed and they continue to play at FedEx Field until the new stadium is built....I seriously cant believe no one sees this as a possibility.

Almost just like the wwe or WWF or whatever it's called the nfl too is fixed.

Good lord. This has always been one of my least favorite recurring threads but this takes the cake, even for you Tater lol.

You know how many people would have to be in on something that big, over time? That's the true reason most conspiracy theories are dumb as hell. Because hundreds (even dozens) of people can't keep secrets like that, ever. Especially not when there's big money involved.

I'm sure at times throughout the NFL's history there have absolutely been refs that put their thumb on the scale for personal gain and weren't found out. But a vast conspiracy where Goodell and select refs over the years manipulate the outcomes of games throughout a season to get a preferred SB outcome (and again setting aside the even more ridiculous notion that it could be dangled as an offered prize and incentive to an owner)? That's beyond asinine. Especially because you can't even guarantee that the team itself will be good enough that it would only take some unobtrusive refs making favorable calls each week to get to the SB! Each game and team is way too unpredictable for that.

Unlike the WWF that you referenced, which spends countless hours choreographing and practicing exact outcomes. It's theater that requires athleticism, nothing like a sport that has 22 individuals trying to earn a payday every single play coached by dozens of people doing the same, etc.

The human mind that truly thinks this kind of far-reaching (but ultimately pointless) conspiracy involving many many people could be happening in secret over decades without coming out...that's a person slightly detached from reality and capable of seeing the ghosts of bad ideas that nobody else does. 

Tater you have a gift for absurdity that lightens the mood around here lol. Just don't fall too far down that rabbit hole as you get older and more paranoid, I've seen it eat people up. Going your whole life sincerely believing you have damning, secret knowledge nobody else is capable of seeing or willing to believe will damage you. That's why hardcore conspiracy theorists, even when they stumble upon a kernal of truth, are still mostly just crazy. Because going down that road allows you to believe almost anything, once you've accepted that you can see unlikely truth that no one else does.

Edited by ConnSKINS26
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

In 1991 had 5 plays gone against us, we'd not even had made the playoffs. In 2018, had the refs made the right call at the end of the Texans game, we'd have been in a win and in situation in our last game.  Had the refs made the right call in the playoff game between NO and LA in the playoff game, we almost certainly would have had a Brady versus Brees SB.

7 minutes ago, Darth Tater said:

In 1991 had 5 plays gone against us, we'd not even had made the playoffs. In 2018, had the refs made the right call at the end of the Texans game, we'd have been in a win and in situation in our last game.  Had the refs made the right call in the playoff game between NO and LA in the playoff game, we almost certainly would have had a Brady versus Brees SB.

And? Every year many teams' fortunes turn on a few big moments. That's not the same as thinking a vast conspiracy could secretly exist to methodically manipulate these moments over the years for desired outcomes.