Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Some More Cops Who Need to Be Fired

Dan T.

2 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

I think the belief/statement of support was what led to the firing. More so than the $25 donation. 

Of course being part of the police's police didn't help. 

I saw an article about this come across the local news (I live in the area) and from just reading the headline, I thought firing him was wrong.  I don't agree with his views but whatever.  Reading the article definitely clears it up though.  The headline should have been written better.

3 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

I saw an article about this come across the local news (I live in the area) and from just reading the headline, I thought firing him was wrong.  I don't agree with his views but whatever.  Reading the article definitely clears it up though.  The headline should have been written better.

His use of work email to do it was likely the fireable offense and gave the Norfolk PD an easy way out from him. 

Edited by The Evil Genius
  • Like 1

Just now, The Evil Genius said:

His use of work email to do it was likely the fireable offense. 

I imagine it was a combination of both.  His statements probably still would have gotten him a slap on the wrist, though I doubt fired.  Using his work email makes it appear as an official statement from his department.  I've been trying to explain this on the Facebook page for the local news but of course, people that already have their mind made up rarely care about details.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I’m wondering if the officer could have put one in her leg instead instead of shooting her 3 or 4 times in the chest and still have saved her. 

This is only an option in movies and tv shows. 

it’s not an option in real life. 

3 hours ago, Simmsy said:

1. Several years ago, I had someone break into my house and I called 911. I confronted them with a knife and they ran out of the house. The dispatcher told me the cops were on the way, I told her that I chased them out with a knife. She asked me if I still had the knife, when I said yes, she told me to drop it immediately (which I did). The knife is a weapon, I was a victim of a crime here, but how would the cops know that when they pulled up? You have to have some common sense in these situations, I know she was a teenager...but...c'mon, girl!

This is true. Basically you can only use the means necessary to repel an attack. When I first bought a firearm, I took a class on basic gun use for self defense. It's good for carrying a knife too. If someone attacks you, you have the right to repel the attack. Once the attacker breaks off the attack, you cannot then become the aggressor and attack them. 

Unfortunately in this case, apparently this girl didn't know that and attacked her attacker after that person broke off her attack. Police arriving don't know what goes on prior to them arriving. They have to deal with the situation right then. 

Also taught me in that class was shoot to center mass to have the greatest chance to stop the attacker. I never took a head shot in practice at the range. 

Edited by LadySkinsFan

56 minutes ago, Corcaigh said:

It would be interesting to get the perspective of a police officer from another country and how they are trained to deal with situations like this. US police kill citizens at a rate 15-50 times higher than comparable European countries, and that includes some with a history of domestic terrorism.

An interesting point. I'd definitely be curious to get the perspective of a police officer from another country. IIRC police in the UK don't carry firearms. So what would a officer there do when confronted with a situation where one person was trying to stab another?

41 minutes ago, mistertim said:

An interesting point. I'd definitely be curious to get the perspective of a police officer from another country. IIRC police in the UK don't carry firearms. So what would a officer there do when confronted with a situation where one person was trying to stab another?

A percentage do, and they are often deployed when there is an armed aggressor. 

I'm not arguing against this particular circumstance, but a US citizen is more than 50 times more likely to die at the hands of the police than someone living in the UK. That should give us all pause, especially given that the UK has a recent history of both Irish Republican and Islamist terrorist threats. And the UK has no shortage of highly disadvantaged areas; it ain't all bucolic countryside.

I can't speak for attitudes in highly disadvantaged areas but to the general UK population the police are treated as a 'citizen in uniform' and 'operate by consent'. Maybe the US attitude of individualism presents dangers to the police that is less prevalent in other countries.

As armed police are the exception rather than the norm, they can have very different levels of training. It's also true in other countries that the police get many more months, or even years more training than in the US. I've seen the argument here that because the police are undertrained for many situations they react too often with a higher level of force than warranted.

Edited by Corcaigh
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

DOJ To Investigate Minneapolis Police For Possible Patterns Of Excessive Force

One day after a jury convicted former Minneapolis police officer Derek Chauvin on murder charges, the U.S. Justice Department launched an investigation into possible patterns of discrimination and excessive force among the police department there.

Attorney General Merrick Garland announced the new civil inquiry on Wednesday, the first such "pattern or practice" investigation in the Biden administration, which has pledged to build trust between police and communities.

"Today, I am announcing that the Justice Department has opened a civil investigation to determine whether the Minneapolis Police Department engages in a pattern or practice of unconstitutional or unlawful policing," he said in remarks at the Justice Department.

Click on the link for the full article

• Like 2

3 hours ago, mistertim said:

Yeah it's a difficult situation because ideally you'd want to deescalate, but when the cop got there the first thing he saw was a girl with a knife tackling another, then getting up and actively trying to stab a second person. She wasn't just standing there defending herself with a knife in her hand, she was going all out trying to stab someone, which is attempted murder. She may indeed have been jumped first, but at that point in time she had become the aggressor. 

NFL rule. It's always the guy who throws the second punch who gets the flag. 

2 hours ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

I imagine it was a combination of both.  His statements probably still would have gotten him a slap on the wrist, though I doubt fired.  Using his work email makes it appear as an official statement from his department.  I've been trying to explain this on the Facebook page for the local news but of course, people that already have their mind made up rarely care about details.

You're a member of the military. There's lots of things you can't do, in uniform. 

Edited by Larry
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, mistertim said:

Here's an incident from the UK involving a stabbing I remember seeing from a couple years ago

The chances this guy would survive this encounter in the US is basically zero. 

Here's another incident in the UK with a knife wielding suspect

Edited by DCSaints_fan

On 4/21/2021 at 12:20 PM, Corcaigh said:

It would be interesting to get the perspective of a police officer from another country and how they are trained to deal with situations like this. US police kill citizens at a rate 15-50 times higher than comparable European countries, and that includes some with a history of domestic terrorism.

On 4/21/2021 at 1:20 PM, mistertim said:

On 4/21/2021 at 1:32 PM, Corcaigh said:

A percentage do, and they are often deployed when there is an armed aggressor. 

I'm not arguing against this particular circumstance, but a US citizen is more than 50 times more likely to die at the hands of the police than someone living in the UK. That should give us all pause, especially given that the UK has a recent history of both Irish Republican and Islamist terrorist threats. And the UK has no shortage of highly disadvantaged areas; it ain't all bucolic countryside.

I can't speak for attitudes in highly disadvantaged areas but to the general UK population the police are treated as a 'citizen in uniform' and 'operate by consent'. Maybe the US attitude of individualism presents dangers to the police that is less prevalent in other countries.

As armed police are the exception rather than the norm, they can have very different levels of training. It's also true in other countries that the police get many more months, or even years more training than in the US. I've seen the argument here that because the police are undertrained for many situations they react too often with a higher level of force than warranted.

I would say/speculate that when compared to other countries on the same tier as the USA (post-industrialized, rich, developed, first world ...whatever slightly condescending term you want to use), the main problem the US and US police have is a gun problem, above all other factors.   Other police don;t have to deal with the number of fire-arms on the street, or the much greater likelihood that they will come face to face with a gun during the normal execution of their duties.   

we can't even THINK about disarming the police here, when everyone else is armed.  of COURSE the interactions with the police are more fraught/potentially violent than they are in societies with fewer guns (in both the police and the public hands).

Edited by mcsluggo
  • Like 1

Woman Catches Louisiana State Police Attaching Tracker Device To Her Car, Now The Cops Want It Back

A woman in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, watched State Police place a tracking device on her vehicle last weekend and contacted her local NAACP president, who was frankly unimpressed by the agency’s spycraft.

Tiara Beverly had been arrested in April on serious drug charges, according to WBRZ. Then last week, this happened to Beverly:

On Wednesday, she said five law enforcement officers who identified themselves as state troopers showed up at her door asking about a person she knew. That person wasn’t there, but she said she filed an internal affairs complaint against the troopers over the way they handled her that evening.

Two days later, she said she saw some men in her gated apartment complex hovering around her car. One day later, she said she noticed the tracking device.

“I instantly panicked,” Beverly said. “I didn’t know if it was a bomb, but then I did find out it was a tracker.”

Not exactly trusting the police at this point, Beverly turned to the Baton Rouge chapter of the NAACP. Eugene Collins, president of the Baton Rouge NAACP, told reporters the police refused to answer any questions about why they had fixed the tracking device to Beverly’s car, but demanded the device be returned to them on Monday. The NAACP chapter president was not impressed by the police.

“It’s bush league,” Collins told WBRZ. “The fact that a young woman can see you doing something like this means you’re not very good at it.”

WBRZ found the device mounted to a pole outside across the street from McKinley Middle School. You’d think the cops would have found it first if it was such an effective tracking tool. 

Click on the link for the full article

On 4/21/2021 at 12:20 PM, Corcaigh said:

Pretty sure US cops also encounter people with guns a lot more than other countries. 

Granted, the TV show Blue Bloods isn't a completely scientific source for statistics. But I also assume the writers don't put statistics into the scripts that are grossly wrong either. 

And I remember Tom Sellik addressing a police academy graduating class, and telling them that 92% of them will go their entire NYPD career without firing their weapon in the line of duty. 

I also recall reading somewhere that the entire NYPD has like 100 officer-involved shootings a year. 

It's something that makes me think. That the impression I get from news, and this thread, and the TV shows. And to think that 2 days out of three, not one cop in the entire NYPD fires a shot. 

3 minutes ago, China said:

Woman Catches Louisiana State Police Attaching Tracker Device To Her Car, Now The Cops Want It Back

Part of me is fantasizing about attaching it to an Amazon truck, waiting a month, then "discovering and removing" it.