Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PFT:Bucs trade Dashon Goldson to Washington (MET)

paredskinsfan

It's a good deal in terms of value. Swapping a 6th for a 7th is negligible. that late in the draft their value is almost identical anyway. This was a pure salary dump by Tampa and if I'm reading correctly, they're still paying a chunk of his salary.

Sure everyone around here would trade their 2016 6th for another team 2016 7th just for free.

The fact that it's for 2016 make me thinks it might be conditional to him making the team, hopefully. Because if it's a given thing, then trading for him, exchanging picks and cutting him, is stupid then. We would then trade down without any compensation.

I think this is the Kinghton deal part deaux. 

I mean other than the draft pick it's almost literally the same. We needed a nose and we needed a free safety. Both are older guys with some questions. Both were given a first year four million dollar flier and told if they come through we'll take care of 'em (mind you, if you gave me four mil I'd already be taken care of, but what can you do).

Sure everyone around here would trade their 2016 6th for another team 2016 7th just for free.

The fact that it's for 2016 make me thinks it might be conditional to him making the team, hopefully. Because if it's a given thing, then trading for him, exchanging picks and cutting him, is stupid then. We would then trade down without any compensation.

No one is saying to do it for free. Where are people getting this stuff from?

Goldson is worth the jump back in draft position from a 6th to a 7th rounder. We're jumping back a round AND gaining a former All Pro/Pro Bowler. I STILL don't see what anyone has to complain about with this deal. Low risk/high reward.

No one is saying to do it for free. Where are people getting this stuff from?

That's just a guess from my side in what happens if we cut Goldson before the 53 roster. If the trade 6th for 7th that goes along is still valid then you just lost a 6th rounder for free.

That's what I'd like to know about this. But since it's 2016, it may be tied to the fact that it's tied to Goldson making the 53. At least I hope so.

I'm very cool with this. The secondary is a work in progress but with Culliver, Breeland, Amerson, Hall, Goldson and Johnson, I at least feel it's moving in the right direction

100% agree ... Certainly much better going in position ... MUCH better. Good enough to in the running? Not impossible but They will have some thing to prove

This isn't really all that much different than the Anquan Boldin trade in 2010 (he was 29 or 30). The Ravens sent two mid-round picks to Cardinals and received Boldin plus a fifth back. Now, Boldin was still putting up 1,000-yard seasons, so Baltimore added 3 years and $25M to his contract. 

Compensation and salary cap are the big difference here. We are paying very little for a starting FS (given that Goldson isn't coming off a strong season) while the Cardinals had to pay a premium for Boldin (contract-wise). The similarities are age and relatively inexpensive draft picks (a third/fourth for a starting, productive WR in his prime plus a fifth is a good deal). 

We'll see. I don't have high expectations, but I do have hope that we won't see a QB calmly loft a ball deep only to see no Redskin within 15 yards when the camera pans downfield. A man can dream, can't he? 

That's just a guess from my side in what happens if we cut Goldson before the 53 roster. If the trade 6th for 7th that goes along is still valid then you just lost a 6th rounder for free.

That's what I'd like to know about this. But since it's 2016, it may be tied to the fact that it's tied to Goldson making the 53. At least I hope so.

Still not sure why anyone thinks he won't make the 53 man roster. Right now a cardboard cutout would probably be our best FS. People complaining about losing a 6th rounder for a 7th rounder...really? Do you honestly expect that the talent level of someone we pick up is going to drop that much from one late round to the other? 6th and 7th round guys rarely do much. For every Almo, Sherman, or Brady there are probably a hundred guys who do zero.

so when is it going to change where people stop trashing all of our moves. Rotoworld always finds way to complain about moves we make and even in facebook, people are commenting about how we like those big contract deals. But it's not like we are paying him 50 million. I'm so tired of the callouts and complaints

What bothers me most is how people who've never played the game at the NFL level can bravely trash a guy on a message board with comments they'd never make in person.  In fact, they'd be asking for the guys autographs and taking selfies.  If at the end of the season he shows that he's a bust then they can bad mouth this deal.  Otherwise, how bout a simple "not sure but I'll wait and see?"

Still not sure why anyone thinks he won't make the 53 man roster. Right now a cardboard cutout would probably be our best FS. People complaining about losing a 6th rounder for a 7th rounder...really? Do you honestly expect that the talent level of someone we pick up is going to drop that much from one late round to the other? 6th and 7th round guys rarely do much. For every Almo, Sherman, or Brady there are probably a hundred guys who do zero.

This. Yes. This.

I just don't understand how this isn't being viewed as a real positive move for us.  Sure, Golshon could play poorly but he is by far the best option we have on our current roster.  We gave up really nothing to get him and didn't allow him to be on the free agent market so another team could sign him.  We are paying him $4m this year for a guy who was a 2 time pro bowler. 

He's big for a FS and has veteran leadership.  He was team captain on the Bucs.  Did anyone see his tweet?  He seems to have a good head on himself and it has been said he is a good locker room guy. He brings some stability to a young secondary other than DHall. 

I like having Breeland, Hall/Amerson, JJ, and Golshon as a secondary.  Plus I think our depth is better with the young guys having another season under their belt. 

Sure we could have better players across our starting defense but I'm pretty happy with our current starters.  As someone mentioned, I don't think we have glaring holes other than a pass rushing LB and someone who could compete with Riley. 

Another factor in the trade, lets say GMSM thinks this draft is weaker compared to next year.  I am not sure how strong this draft class is, or even if round 6s are even graded at all. We are only talking about roughly 30 draft slots, assuming Tampa doesn't dominate next year.

I think its awesome he is targeting physical players that have super bowl experience. It seems such an obvious thing to target as a GM, yet here we are, basically all amazed at what its like to have a real GM.

What bothers me most is how people who've never played the game at the NFL level can bravely trash a guy on a message board with comments they'd never make in person. In fact, they'd be asking for the guys autographs and taking selfies. If at the end of the season he shows that he's a bust then they can bad mouth this deal. Otherwise, how bout a simple "not sure but I'll wait and see?"

Nor have they ever managed a real team or held a job in a front office.

Might be slightly off topic, but I think the cover 2 TB defense has become completely outdated. Lovie is failing at it now in TB just like the Monte Kiffin experience was a disaster in Dallass. The fact that this guy's decline coincided with Lovie's arrival may be as much or more an indictment of the outdated system as it is of Golshon. We really gave up peanuts for this guy because TB was gonna cut him anyway. We're well under cap, so this was an excellent move by the FO.

Goodson has showed in the right scheme that the can be very productive. Whether or not we have the right scheme is yet to be determined, but he seems to have a physical approach that our secondary could certainly use. I am optimistic that he will be an upgrade, maybe not flashy or long term, but we will be better with him than we would be without him. HTTR.

I like the trade, it is definitely an improvement over Ryan Clark and Merriweather. How much of an improvement, don't know yet but am optimistic. So far, we potentially have 3 new starters in Def Secondary.

Something you and I can agree on my friend. Finally lol

Goodson has showed in the right scheme that the can be very productive. Whether or not we have the right scheme is yet to be determined, but he seems to have a physical approach that our secondary could certainly use. I am optimistic that he will be an upgrade, maybe not flashy or long term, but we will be better with him than we would be without him. HTTR.

Yep. I'll add that although we don't know how much the scheme and players around him will affect his play, our defense should be much closer to the 49ers defense he excelled in than the Tampa 2 that he... struggled in.

To those against the move, yes, paying 4 mil for one of the worst ranked safeties is troubling. However, just gotta remember that he's a 'bridge' player (with a resume including very good play for a defense far more similar to ours) and nothing more. Recall the consternation of Rambo starting (actually being handed the starting job rather than earning it) - the idea of throwing a development level player into the fire. Well, now we can bring in a rookie to actually comptete for the job, and if he doesn't win it, he'll at least be afforded time to develop before being thrown into the fire.

Archived