Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PFT:Bucs trade Dashon Goldson to Washington (MET)

paredskinsfan

Bucs fans say he's horrible in coverage, but as long as he still has this in him when we need it, I'm happy:

Goldson01_zps66fcdb13.gif

I'd prefer to see his Buccaneer highlights if he has any, over what what he did to get his deal in SF. But maybe a fresh start helps him, or most likely he'll just be a body..I like the deal even though we're taking on his huge salary.

So mediocre in SF, that he made 2 pro bowls. It could be that Goldson didn't fit the Tampa 2.

So mediocre that he plus a 7th equals a 6th. Which basically means he was rated by both us and TB as a 7th rounder...

Which is not much for someone that went to the ProBowl twice. Not like the Pro Bowl selection was really about best players on the field and not a name or beauty contest...

Should check in the trade, but if we cut him before 53, that means we'll trade a 6th for a 7th? Would be stupid then.

Not a big fan of the move. I don't really get it.

30 year old that was expendable by the WORST team in football. 

Just a thought, I'm not excited either way just yet, simply because I'm  not sure what he can bring ... 

The missed tackles stat is concerning, but this isn't a long term solution, and the exact blame for poor performance is tough to place entirely on the players.

Thought this summed it up pretty well:

The Bucs invested 2 first-round picks and about $45 million since '12 to stock secondary with Barron, Revis and Goldson. All 3 are now gone.

The Buccaneers' secondary problems run far deeper than the players.  It's more like they are constantly running afoul of system mismatches.  Lovie's got his system, and so far they've invested a lot for guys who don't fit it as well as they want.

It'd be like filling a Kubiak OLine with a bunch of slow OL who can't get to the second level in run blocking.  It's just not gonna work.

Goldson isn't perfect, but the team he came from doesn't exactly have their stuff together.

I'd prefer to see his Buccaneer highlights if he has any, over what what he did to get his deal in SF. But maybe a fresh start helps him, or most likely he'll just be a body..I like the deal even though we're taking on his huge salary.

Better edit out that .gif from the quote.

So mediocre that he plus a 7th equals a 6th. Which basically means he was rated by both us and TB as a 7th rounder...

Which is not much for someone that went to the ProBowl twice. Not like the Pro Bowl selection was really about best players on the field and not a name or beauty contest...

Should check in the trade, but if we cut him before 53, that means we'll trade a 6th for a 7th? Would be stupid then.

Yeah, I mean entering the season with no free safety's on the roster was a much better idea than giving up nothing for a two-time pro bowler.

Players get traded for crazy picks all the time. Brandon Marshall was traded for a 3rd round pick when he went from Miami to Chicago. Then he was just traded for a 5th from the Bears to the Jets. He's been one of the most consistent WRs over the last 4 or 5 seasons.

Haolti Ngata was traded away for a 4th rounder. He must stnk!

Kenny Stills was traded for a 3rd, guess he's better than Brandon Marshall

You are also rushing right to worst-case scenario as well.

What is the problem with the move? Are you really quibbling about the difference between a 6th and a 7th? :rolleyes:

They were stuck with a good player that they paid great money to.  They wanted to move on from him, but they knew he was worth something.  Scot knew he was potentially getting cut, so didn't want to trade.

That's how you end up with a trade like this, low value, but something.  It's how both sides can still win something and lose something.

Also, regarding the guarantee or not, I believe his season is guaranteed after week 1 if he's on the roster because he is a veteran.  We should be able to cut and walk "Scot free" if he doesn't make the 53 week 1.

Wow, just saw this.

Hmmm... honestly, I really like that we got him, but I'm unhappy about the contract. 

The trade is a wash. It's as equal and insignificant as a trade can possibly be, lol. A 2016 6th for a player and a 2017 7th.

To me, it says the Bucs were willing to take any trade since the plan was probably to cut him, in the end. So Scot said okay, here's something stupid... let's do this.

So that means it boils down to his contract and whether he's worth it. We'll have to see. If he plays like he did with the 49ers, great. If not, bad move. 

It's nice, though, to feel like we finally improved at that spot. 

EDIT Just saw the talk about the contract not being guaranteed on our side... excellent trade if true. If only because we can cut him if he doesn't pan out with little to no harm done. 

Yeah, I mean entering the season with no free safety's on the roster was a much better idea than giving up nothing for a two-time pro bowler.

There's some interesting options in the draft. No first rounders, but guys that could surprise down there if you like to go thinking outside the box and go look past round 3. (Rowe, Jones, Randall, just to name a few, we even debated with GHH the possibility of Tartt at FS).

The better than nothing mentality got us super studs like Merriweather, Bowen, Morgan, and many others. So yeah, I don't really see why. Guy look cool and seems to be a fan, which might help, but that's not the kind of move that'll get me excited. I'm glad it didn't cost much at least.

why trade for him when they were going to cut him? who cares if bucs pay his salary, his bloated cap will be on us anyway and its not like i care who actually foots the bill, whoa great trade dan snyder gets to pocket 4 million *wanking motion*.

goldson is meriweather 2.0 with worse angles and EVEN MORE personal fouls/fines. you have to ask yourself why hasnt any other team fielded an offer for him since he has been on the block for almost 2 years now? last off season even the rams were like no we'll pass on goldson gives us barron instead.

the scheme was perfect for him, the tampa 2 is made for free safeties and goldson is as far from a strong safety as you can get.

yes the picks are a wash and he may be better than propping up an ed reed fat head in the middle of the field, but its doubtful he even makes the roster. he had 1 all pro year (who cares about pro bowls thats just fan hype) which might as well be decades ago then got mega paid and fell off a cliff. 8 million dollar backup is best case scenario.

The deal itself is fine. Got him for free basically but I've seen a lot of ppl saying our D is basically set and I really don't see it.

He was really bad last season

Hopefully it works out

I think our defense is "set" in that we have a person at every spot that I'm at least mildly confident can be a competent NFL player. It's "set" in that I don't think there's a hole that absolutely must be filled by drafting a player.

FS was the only place on the defense that I felt we absolutely did not have a player that was best suited for it.

Ihenacho I think is more of a SS. Same with Johnson. Same with Robinson. Thomas may be able to do FS, but definitely not something I'd feel confident could definitely be counted on at the start of training camp to be the presumed starter.

Goldson may not be a pro-bowl level guy any more, but I think in a system that is more suited to his styles (which reportedly ours will be), I definitely believe he can still be a competent and average starter. He "sets" the defense in that he gives us a reasonably competent veteran starter at every spot on the defense going into training camp.

And getting that for a swap of a 6th round pick for a 7th, a year from now, with only paying half of his contract? Definite win in my mind.

why trade for him when they were going to cut him? who cares if bucs pay his salary, his bloated cap will be on us anyway and its not like i care who actually foots the bill, whoa great trade dan snyder gets to pocket 4 million *wanking motion*.

goldson is meriweather 2.0 with worse angles and EVEN MORE personal fouls/fines. you have to ask yourself why hasnt any other team fielded an offer for him since he has been on the block for almost 2 years now? last off season even the rams were like no we'll pass on goldson gives us barron instead.

the scheme was perfect for him, the tampa 2 is made for free safeties and goldson is as far from a strong safety as you can get.

yes the picks are a wash and he may be better than propping up an ed reed fat head in the middle of the field, but its doubtful he even makes the roster. he had 1 all pro year (who cares about pro bowls thats just fan hype) which might as well be decades ago then got mega paid and fell off a cliff. 8 million dollar backup is best case scenario.

not hyping the player, but you have the trade numbers wrong.

TB is paying the $4m in guaranteed money this year; we have the $4m non-guaranteed money to pay this year(which, I think, means that we can cut him before the 53 and only pay for the $500,000 bonus). The next two years' salaries are non-guaranteed. we can cut him after this year if he sucks without a dollar in cap penalty at all. or if he plays well, we can restructure his deal to something more favorable for a 32 year old saftey.

don't like the player- fine. you can't **** about the contract though.

why trade for him when they were going to cut him?

A few reasons, the salary cost not being one of them (if he is cut, I don't think he's getting more than $4 mil for this year anyways, so that's a wash).

First, is simply getting him involved. Minicamps start in two weeks. OTA's start in a month and two weeks.

Tampa gave no indication what so ever that they were planning to cut Goldson sooner than later. They had no real need to cut him quickly, and were simply sitting on him as long as possible to see how things went. If you trade for him now then you get him at the very start of off season activities. Giving him that extra time to learn the scheme, get to know the coaches, get to know his other players, etc.

Second, is to have things solidified prior to the draft. At the very least, Goldson provides a competent starting Free Safety. May be average, give or take a bit, but a veteran that can at least be trusted as a day 1 starter. This means you go into the draft with every position on defense filled by someone you feel as a staff is AT LEAST a competent starter. This makes any temptation or feeling to reach for a "need" in terms of drafting a safety go away...which is a good thing. If one falls to us that fits Clou's philosophy, great...but it settles it as a position that we don't have to address in the draft.

So the question basically comes...

Are those two benefits worth moving down likely 30-40 spots at the end of next years draft?

I'd say absolutely.

Pretty sure we offered a pick for him so we wouldn't have to compete with other teams for his services once the Bucs cut him.  I'm not going to argue about the difference in swapping picks at the end of the draft.  Most of those guys don't develop into starters, and are at best special teams contributors.

It works out for Tampa because it lessens their cap hit for getting him off of their roster.  What we basically have is a one year rental, at reasonable money ($4 mil).  I can't imagine him playing at a level that keeps him on following years, but if he plays well, and wants to be here, he gets a new contract next season with us, or someone else.  We can still draft someone to sit behind him and learn the position...if that person is better, then we move on from him.  I think the important thing is that he's an upgrade from what Ryan Clark was last season.  And he has a higher ceiling than any other FS we could've picked up.  

This trade does nothing for me.  At this point of his career he's just another Brandon Merriweather. I see what Scot McC is doing, putting in a body that he has a past with to fill a need,  just don't see the point of bringing in a washed up player from Tampa Bay. I'm sure we'll have similar results we had last year at the free safety. Not good.

This trade does nothing for me.  At this point of his career he's just another Brandon Merriweather. I see what Scot McC is doing, putting in a body that he has a past with to fill a need,  just don't see the point of bringing in a washed up player from Tampa Bay. I'm sure we'll have similar results we had last year at the free safety. Not good.

We'll end up drafting a development FS who will sit behind this guy for a year or two before getting the starters job...it'll be a win-win situation, therefore i just don't get the negative perception over this move at all.

Not sure where your getting the SS from. He's played FS at College and in the Pros. He's much more of a centre field type safety than an 'in the box' type.

He's a centerfielding hawk, who happens to hit like a LBer. I don't get the SS comment.

And you can feel however you want, but either way it's a body at a position of need. He is only 2 years removed from being a pro bowl caliber safety. I like the trade a ton and if he produces we got ourselves a quality player for basically a negligible amount.

What was his role I'm SF and how does it relate to Skins plans on D this year?? I've heard a number of people state cover two was a bad fit, does anyone know the plan to use the Free safety in Berry's D?

Going off of memory and reading on both Johnson and Dashan they both have some ability to be interchangeable moving from both FS and SS. Is this accurate?

Lastly, I like what hear in regards to Dashon being a good lockeroom guy and former captain of TB defense. He seems to fall in line with tough minded football players who have pride in winning/losing that Scott and Jay want. And, the operative word of this off season: competition.

I like the move.

Fact: we need a free safety.

Fact: the FA market for them stinks

Fact; we have a lot of needs on both sides of the ball to address via draft

and we just "drafted" a guy we know can at least play in the NFL in the 6th round, and we got a 7th rounder in the mix.

He can hold it down for now, and it's a low-risk move.

No over-reach, no overspend. Pencil him in and it gives us a little bit more breathing room.

~Bang

And we have a mentor for any young safeties we may draft in the future.  Who has experience playing for a very good defense at San Fran.  Perry Fewell can now use all his DB's as he sees fit instead of moving one.  That will be huge since most defenses end up in nickel vs today's offenses.

Love the guys tweet!

“Now to my new team, the Washington Redskins,” Goldson wrote on Twitter. “I want you all to kno how excited my family and I are to be part of this strong organization. Ive been a fan of the team for awhile. One of my favorite players (Sean Taylor) set the tone for the position for years there.

“I’m not Sean but Im honored to be patrolling the same playgrounds as he did. I’ll do my best on makin him happy from the position as he watches down on us as a secondary. To the fans this is gonna be a fun and exciting ride. Our goal as a team will be simply to whoop a** and take W(wins).

“Those who dnt know much about me I luv to play this game. I will bring an attitude for sure to this defense. With the experience and knowledge Ive accumulated throughout I will do everything to make those better around me. My goal will be for us to have the same heartbeat as a team and ESP as a defense cuz that’s where it starts. With that bein said #HTTR [emoji] Amen let’s all eat.”

It's a good deal in terms of value. Swapping a 6th for a 7th is negligible. that late in the draft their value is almost identical anyway. This was a pure salary dump by Tampa and if I'm reading correctly, they're still paying a chunk of his salary.

My guess is he gets a one year try out with us. If he plays well, McC redoes the deal(because Goldson gets paid way too much the last two years of his deal). If not, we cut him and lose nothing.

It's a pretty good value trade all around.

Archived