Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PFT:Bucs trade Dashon Goldson to Washington (MET)

paredskinsfan

Some of you guys need to calm down. Goldson was horrible in TB for the past two years. According to ProFootball Focus, he graded out the past two years worse than all of OUR safeties except Ryan Clark last year. He only had one really good year in SF. The last year of his contract before becoming a free agent. His other years were quite mediocre in SF....now mediocre is better than our safeties have played the last few years. Hopefully, Goldson was just a bad fit for the Tampa Two defense that Lovie Smith plays. But we did not trade for a stud safety or even a competent one at this point.

Nothing much lost in the trade. But I think we need to just wait and see which Goldson shows up to play for the Redskins.

So mediocre in SF, that he made 2 pro bowls. It could be that Goldson didn't fit the Tampa 2.

I like the move.

Fact: we need a free safety.

Fact: the FA market for them stinks

Fact; we have a lot of needs on both sides of the ball to address via draft

and we just "drafted" a guy we know can at least play in the NFL in the 6th round, and we got a 7th rounder in the mix.

He can hold it down for now, and it's a low-risk move.

No over-reach, no overspend. Pencil him in and it gives us a little bit more breathing room.

~Bang

Some of you guys need to calm down. Goldson was horrible in TB for the past two years. According to ProFootball Focus, he graded out the past two years worse than all of OUR safeties except Ryan Clark last year. He only had one really good year in SF. The last year of his contract before becoming a free agent. His other years were quite mediocre in SF....now mediocre is better than our safeties have played the last few years. Hopefully, Goldson was just a bad fit for the Tampa Two defense that Lovie Smith plays. But we did not trade for a stud safety or even a competent one at this point.

Nothing much lost in the trade. But I think we need to just wait and see which Goldson shows up to play for the Redskins.

Some of us actually read up on why he didn't pan out in Tampa. 

I like the move.

Fact: we need a free safety.

Fact: the FA market for them stinks

Fact; we have a lot of needs on both sides of the ball to address via draft

and we just "drafted" a guy we know can at least play in the NFL in the 6th round, and we got a 7th rounder in the mix.

He can hold it down for now, and it's a low-risk move.

No over-reach, no overspend. Pencil him in and it gives us a little bit more breathing room.

~Bang

Can aslo the draft this year is very weak at the FS position. I love the move. Whether it works or not who knows. But Scot is bringing in guys he knows can play. 

I expect this means one of two things... Either all in on a Pass Rusher IN the first or Second... All in on Mariota/Winston whoever falls?  Or all in on Kevin White/Amari Cooper.... #HTTR!

It means simply that the Redskins are all in on whoever they feel the BPA is when the draft gets to the 5th pick.

Unless they trade down. :)

I kinda agree here.

Not sure why everyone wants to flame you for this post. It's very fair and logically

Hopefully it works out.

He's apparently more of a strong safety than a free safety.  Either way, I'm not expecting that much better play than Merriweather.  I actually expect a similar player to BW minus the stupid late his penalties.  

The position still needs to be a focus during the draft.  Goldson is just a placekeeper.

Not sure where your getting the SS from. He's played FS at College and in the Pros. He's much more of a centre field type safety than an 'in the box' type.

Pretty sure Goldson is still due $4M in salary this season, which we will have to pay. I don't think we can cut him after the preseason and it not cost anything. Now, in 2016, we can cut him and it won't hurt us.

We'd have to pick up his 500k bonus, but 3.5mil salary is not grtd, apparently.

I kinda agree here.

Not sure why everyone wants to flame you for this post. It's very fair and logically

Hopefully it works out.

No one has flamed him. His post is simply mis-guided.

No one here is saying Goldson will come here and be a stud. Most of the positive reception on this (and other) threads is for the well put together trade.

Whether Goldson works out or not, we shall see. However, I can't see how anyone can complain or be miserable about the trade itself.

Also, he is wrong about Goldson's time in SF. He didn't just have one good year. He went to the pro bowl twice for the 49ers.

From the ESPN article

Overall, Goldson, 30, has been fined an NFL-high eight times since the start of the 2012 season for on-field incidents and his $252,000 in fines is more than any other NFL player during that time frame.

Merriweather would have competed with him in most fines but couldn't stay healthy enough to pike them up. :)

No one has flamed him. His post is simply mis-guided.

No one here is saying Goldson will come here and be a stud. Most of the positive reception on this (and other) threads is for the well put together trade.

Whether Goldson works out or not, we shall see. However, I can't see how anyone can complain or be miserable about the trade itself.

Also, he is wrong about Goldson's time in SF. He didn't just have one good year. He went to the pro bowl twice for the 49ers.

The deal itself is fine. Got him for free basically but I've seen a lot of ppl saying our D is basically set and I really don't see it.

He was really bad last season

Hopefully it works out

Now the new defensive coordinator has to blend everyone together into a cohesive unit.

Sure hope it works.  Regardless of Scott's background, we need to rebuild this franchise through the draft.  It's another change with a defense filled with other teams talent.  To be a winning franchise our starters need to predominately be players drafted by us.  Blending misfit toys doesn't go well.

I expect this means one of two things... Either all in on a Pass Rusher IN the first or Second... All in on Mariota/Winston whoever falls?  Or all in on Kevin White/Amari Cooper.... #HTTR!

Or we stay put at #5 and draft BPA (THAT PLAYS OLINE.)  Many of the mocks now have two olinemen off the board by pick #10.  If that is the case, it really isn't a reach to pick one at #5. 

Hmmmm, yeah .....

Would much rather have taken the 6th for equivalent or better younger potential (not at safety per-se); but as I'm giving Mac a complete pass year one on moves I shall just shrug my shoulders and hope he's a short term success. 

The deal itself is fine. Got him for free basically but I've seen a lot of ppl saying our D is basically set and I really don't see it.

Hopefully it works out

With the track record of the DC, our D, regardless of talent, is nowhere near set. 

Hail. 

Hopefully it works out

I don't think the intent when folks say "we're set" is that the defense is going to be awesome. I think most are just saying we have a starting-caliber player at all positions on defense now.

Hopefully, Goldson getting away from Tampa's Cover-2 will be the thing that jump starts his career.

Sure hope it works.  Regardless of Scott's background, we need to rebuild this franchise through the draft.  It's another change with a defense filled with other teams talent.  To be a winning franchise our starters need to predominately be players drafted by us.  Blending misfit toys doesn't go well.

Whats nice is that even though were bringing in these players from all over, theyre all guys our GM  has a history with previously so to a certain extent they aren't complete "misfits"

Archived