Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CSN Washington: Scot McCloughan to attend Marcus Mariota's pro day

Boss_Hogg

Teddy Bridgewater had a brutal pro day and it killed his draft stock.

A lot of teams regret passing on him now.

I'm not sure what to think of Mariota. But if Scott likes him, he will take him at five. He knows you need a QB and taking one with a high pick is not nearly the risk it used to be because of the rookie wage scale. 

I like RG3. Root for him. Would love if he proved to be the guy. But I'm puzzled by how much faith folks have in him. Two coaches benched him. His teammates don't show much confidence in him. He has suffered two severe injuries in three years and going into the last year of his contract, he still looks like a rookie in most ways. 

I didn't watch a whole lot of Mariota's games this past season but I saw a few and of course I've seen some highlight tapes. He seems like a good kid, humble, hard worker. But to be honest he basically reminds me of a slightly taller, slower RG3. A dual threat QB coming from a spread college offense where he didn't have to make many reads or do much diagnosing of defenses. If we think RG3 is a bust (I don't personally yet, but some obviously do) and part of his problems stemmed from coming to the NFL from that sort of system and being thrown to the wolves aren't we just repeating the same thing again and hoping for a different result?

Obviously Scot knows a metric ****-ton more about this stuff than I ever will so if he sees something in him and thinks he can truly come in and be the savior of the franchise then I won't go nuts if we pick him at 5. I just think we have far more glaring needs at the moment and to pick a QB that high and give up on RG3 (or Cousins, if that's your guy) he better be close to a sure fire franchise QB and I just don't see that in Mariota. And yeah I watch his Pro Day. He was pretty underwhelming. 

He looked terrible. As Casserly put it, "hold your breath" if you draft him.

Damn that Chip Kelly!  He got to him and talked him into tanking his pro day!  Evil Genius!

Seriously, Scot says over and over that he goes by what he sees on tape.  That will be the deciding factor.

RG3 is going into the last year of his rookie deal, has suffered severe injuries in the NFL and college, and hasn't looked like a franchise QB since his rookie year....The real question is: will he be there?

Excellent points.

NOOOOO!!!! Washington doesn't need to waste their 1st rd. pick on a what if. Marietta is a system QB & that isn't a proven pocket passer & in most cases thy end up being flops. I can only think of 2 running QBs in modern times that were successful, Steve Young & John Elway. If the Redskins draft Marietta it will prove to me that Snyder is still calling the shots.

That makes zero sense. From everything that anyone has heard, Snyder loves Griffin and RG3 is HIS guy. Gruden came out last season all but saying he didn't think Griffin was (fill in the blank) enough to be an NFL QB. Even Ryan Clark, who was on the team last year, said as much (Gruden made it clear Griffin's not his guy, but Griffin IS Snyder's guy). So, somehow that translates into "Snyder's making all the decisions if we move on from Griffin?"

I don't get how you make that jump logically.

They just got Nick Foles. I highly doubt they're going after Mariota...

It's all part of Chip Kelly's master plan.

The explosion that made RG III is gone. Can't run like the wind anymore and that's a huge part of his game. I hate the fact that when there are glimpses of it, the media will say something along the lines of "That looks like 2012 RG III on that play." It's a sad situation but unless he's  100% and back to the the athlete he was, he's not going to be effective. We've seen what he can do from the pocket, how slow he is to make decisions. Just doesn't look very comfortable. I don't buy the reports that say he doesn't watch enough film, doesn't work hard enough. I think that' bogus. I just feel he doesn't have the tools anymore. If Scot thinks Mariotta gives this team a better chance going forward, you take it. 

I think we need to draft a QB early. I think what we need to do is make sure if we have a backup plan in the event RG3 is awful or injured.

1) If RG3 is good, we keep drafted QB on bench to trade later

2) If RG3 is injured, we don't waste this year and could find out what we have

3) If RG3 sucks, same as 2

I have said this a few times but I will repeat. I will be shocked if we draft Mariota.

He looks like a slightly less athletic version of RGIII with a weaker arm and less accuracy. He might still be a much better NFL QB than RGIII but the odds are if you draft him and put him on a team running a WCO based on doing things he's never been asked to do before very much (rythym timing throws) in a team with an iffy O'Line and poor defense it's not going to end well.

I'm hoping this is all a smoke screen to drive up the cost of a trade of the pick if he is still there when we draft.

I have to say, I'm impressed, ES. I just went through the 3 pages of this thread and, much to my utter shock, it wasn't the flaming rage-fest - boosted by the anonymity of the internet in addition to the passion of fanhood further abetted by a media sensation like RG3- I fully expected it to be when I first clicked into it. 

Are we turning the corner here? *Applauds*

I think we need to draft a QB early.  I think what we need to do is make sure if we have a backup plan in the event RG3 is awful or injured. 

1) If RG3 is good, we keep drafted QB on bench to trade later

2) If RG3 is injured, we don't waste this year and could find out what we have

3) If RG3 sucks, same as 2

I want the Skins to draft Sean Mannion. Big guy, classic drop back passer from a pro-style offense.   Could get him in the  4th round or 5th

Highly doubt we're drafting RG3's clone. Like Griffin, Mariota will have a long way to go running a professional offense. He has bust written all over him. Personally I would never draft one of these guys.  It's just not in their DNA to drop back, scan the field and throw to the open guy. They're always going to want to try and run around and scramble when someone gets near them.

I agree, Mannion would be the perfect pick in the 4th round.

Haven't change my mind, still think we should adress line before going QB.

Except if we want Mariota to get killed, just like we've done with Ramsey, when he entered the league.

Let's bolster the OL, and get a nice QB prospect in the end of the draft. There's some to find.

Total smokescreen.  The message all off season has been BPA.  I just don't see this guy as a day 1 gamechanger or the 5th best talent in the draft.  Why not let Cousins and Griffin battle it out in their last year and see if fielding a halfway decent defense gives either one of them enough of a cushion to be effective.  I think QB either gets addressed in a late round project or high draft pick next year if neither of our guys work out.

Total smokescreen. The message all off season has been BPA. I just don't see this guy as a day 1 gamechanger or the 5th best talent in the draft. Why not let Cousins and Griffin battle it out in their last year and see if fielding a halfway decent defense gives either one of them enough of a cushion to be effective. I think QB either gets addressed in a late round project or high draft pick next year if neither of our guys work out.

Or maybe it's not a smokescreen and the Redskins just really like what they've seen from Mariota....

Archived