Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CSN Washington: Scot McCloughan to attend Marcus Mariota's pro day

Boss_Hogg

Draft Mariiota if he drops to us and trade Griffin on draft day to get back some picks?

I like his demeanor. All business. Kinda reminds me of Wilson but more of a passer.

If the people reporting on his pro day are correct, that's looking less and less likely. I wonder if they will ask for a private workout after this performance.

Edit: I mean a workout to give him an opportunity to offset what is supposedly a poor performance, not whether he is immediately disqualified from consideration at five altogether.

Don't know if anyone has seen these, but if you don't want us to draft MM, this won't make you feel much better.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/12466946/washington-redskins-interest-drafting-quarterback-marcus-mariota-genuine

http://espn.go.com/blog/washington-redskins/post/_/id/15910/analyzing-ryan-clarks-comments-on-rg-iii-jay-gruden

While my gut tells me to be wary of an MM pick...it's universally known and agreed that ScoMac is the best in the business when it comes to evaluating talent. If he pulls the trigger (should the opportunity arise), I'm all in.

As I said from the start, Mariotta is an inferior prospect to RG3. Drafting him would just be a repeat of the last two years without ever having the joy of 2012.

A lot of players are inferior prospects to RGIII. I still believe if the Ngata hit never happens our fortunes would be completely different. But with that said I think it's unfair to hold Mariota to that standard. I personally wouldn't draft him but if Scot feels he's a good player than he's much better at this than I am. I'll take his word for it.

Can you imagine picking Marcus, turning the page on Robert quickly, and then Marcus ends up not turning out to be a franchise QB, either?  That would be devastating as a franchise

We would survive but be set back another 5 years.  Actually, I think if we draft Marcus; Robert is going to be asked to be traded.

I'm not seeing any reports that he looked terrible. Most say good not great.

For a potential top 5 pick I thought he looked bad. Rarely led his receivers and was very inaccurate on the deep balls. Sideline throws were poor too, put the ball on the wrong shoulder. 

It's interesting to hear Mayock downplay it on NFL Network by saying Jamarcus Russell's was the best pro day he has seen in the past few years.

They've been saying that for years. Kiper yesterday was saying that Peyton Manning looked ok on his pro day, and that they've never proven to be a meaningful measure of NFL success.

My response would be that everything about scouting QBs appears to be a gamble otherwise the league would be dominated by QBs taken in the top ten of their respective drafts.

For a potential top 5 pick I thought he looked bad. Rarely led his receivers and was very inaccurate on the deep balls. Sideline throws were poor too, put the ball on the wrong shoulder.

So he didn't look as good as a RG3, Mark Sanchez, Bradford, or Gabbert? Did he look more like Roethlisberger, Rodgers, Wilson, Brees, and Flacco all failed to look good enough for a top 5 pick? :)

Picking QBs is apparently impossible.

So he didn't look as good as a RG3, Mark Sanchez, Bradford, or Gabbert? Did he look more like Roethlisberger, Rodgers, Wilson, Brees, and Flacco all failed to look good enough for a top 5 pick? :)

Picking QBs is apparently impossible.

But his Oregon tape offers no proof that he can make NFL throws either.

I think we need to draft a QB early.  I think what we need to do is make sure if we have a backup plan in the event RG3 is awful or injured. 

1) If RG3 is good, we keep drafted QB on bench to trade later

2) If RG3 is injured, we don't waste this year and could find out what we have

3) If RG3 sucks, same as 2

I think we need to draft a QB early. I think what we need to do is make sure if we have a backup plan in the event RG3 is awful or injured.

1) If RG3 is good, we keep drafted QB on bench to trade later

2) If RG3 is injured, we don't waste this year and could find out what we have

3) If RG3 sucks, same as 2

If we draft a QB and throw him to the wolves yet again than we've learned absolutely nothing from the three times before it....

But his Oregon tape offers no proof that he can make NFL throws either.

I'm not arguing with you. I'm convinced that picking NFL QBs with any certainty involves black magic and traded souls.  I was sure that RG3 was a can't miss super QB and we all know how that's worked out.  I'm just laughing at the entire process and discussion.  My position is that if Scot thinks he's the guy I'll live with it. 

If I had to guess I'd say Winston will be a good, not great NFL QB.  Mariotta will only succeed if he goes into a great system for him and that success will be limited.  But as I've stated before, I don't know what the hell I'm talking about when it comes to scouting QBs.  I will point out that many of those QB that can make "all the NFL throws" we hear about every year, fail miserably.  There is no sure fire way to know. 

So do I, but I don't remember the 1st one. We were favored in that game too I would have loved to have seen it live kudos to the people who were there :)

I had just turned 15 four days before SB 17. I was four days from turning 20 when we won SB 22 and they won SB 26 on my 24th birthday. Ah, good times, good times.

Archived