Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CSN Washington: Scot McCloughan to attend Marcus Mariota's pro day

Boss_Hogg

Smoke Screen or legit interest?

http://www.csnwashington.com/redskinsblog/redskins-gm-scot-mccloughan-attend-marcus-mariotas-pro-day-oregon-heisman-nfl-draft

When Heisman Trophy winner Marcus Mariota takes part in Oregon’s Pro Day on Thursday, he’ll do so in front of a large gathering of NFL coaches, personnel executives and scouts.

Scheduled to be among them: Redskins general manager Scot McCloughan.

NFL Network’s Albert Breer reported that Buccaneers GM Jason Licht, Titans GM Ruston Webster, Jets GM Mike Maccagnan as well as McCloughan are among the personnel bosses expected to be in Eugene. Breer also reported that Eagles coach Chip Kelly will not attend; he’ll be in Philadelphia meeting with free agent running back DeMarco Murray.

While it’s not necessarily a huge deal that a talent needy team’s GM is attending one of the most anticipated Pro Days, McCloughan’s presence will certainly raise eyebrows given the Redskins’ unsettled situation at quarterback.

And, of course, that it’s happening just a day after ESPN’s John Clayton said the Redskins would “absolutely” draft Mariota if he’s still on the board at No. 5.

Scot wouldn't be performing his due diligence if he wasn't in attendance, given that a potential franchise QB is conducting his pro day, and that we have a top 5 pick. However, Oregon also has numerous other guys we could be considering in the top 3-4 rounds of the draft, such as Armstead, Fisher, Grasu, and Ekpre-Olomu. If our perceived interest helps our draft position as a catalyst for another team trading up for Mariota, trading with us, or pushing defensive players down to our spot, or if it is a sign of legitimate interest in Mariota, there are nothing but positives to come from Scot being in attendance at Oregon's pro day. 

I mentioned a few weeks ago that a lot of ****sure Es'ers are going to find out how clueless they've been about what the FO/HC really thinks about a number of matters and what they are going to do. A lot of heads are going to spin.

Scot wouldn't be performing his due diligence if he wasn't in attendance, given that a potential franchise QB is conducting his pro day, and that we have a top 5 pick. However, Oregon also has numerous other guys we could be considering in the top 3-4 rounds of the draft, such as Armstead, Fisher, Grasu, and Ekpre-Olomu. If our perceived interest helps our draft position as a catalyst for another team trading up for Mariota, trading with us, or pushing defensive players down to our spot, or if it is a sign of legitimate interest in Mariota, there are nothing but positives to come from Scot being in attendance at Oregon's pro day. 

Everything I was just going to say. 

We have a top class, professional GM. Why wouldn't he be doing his due diligence here?

Hail. 

I mentioned a few weeks ago that a lot of ****sure Es'ers are going to find out how clueless they've been about what the FO/HC really thinks about a number of matters and what they are going to do. A lot of heads are going to spin.

I can't wait to find out. Reason why I've not speculated about any picks or any signings. It's an exercise in futility with a new man in charge.

I don't understand how us showing fake interest in Mariota would benefit us if other teams believe we will draft him it seems to me we would only be increasing the value of the number 4 pick for someone that wants to move up to get him.

It could help in a couple of ways. First, any team who feels the need top jump ahead of us to grab Mariota 'pushes' another player down to us. For example, if the Raiders were planning to take Williams or Fowler Jr. or Shelton 4th, and instead they end up trading that pick to a team wanting a QB, an extra defensive player that we might like falls out of the top 4 and into our lap. Secondly, if Mariota is still there at #5, a team who likes Mariota, but thought they could still get him at their pick (or by trading up to a lesser pick #6, #7 etc...) might be compelled to call us and offer us more, to see if we will move off of #5, rather than take him ourselves. Just a couple of ways it could help, aside from us having a legitimate interest evaluating him for ourselves. 

Do tell.

I'll add networking plays a part too. 

Where better than to gage your opponents views and what they may do draft wise than to be out there among them?

Hail. 

I was about to say the same thing. It's the place to be if you want to find a trade partner for Mariota and see who looks desperate about him and you could fleece comes draft day.

Otherwise I would say it wouldn't be unwise not to attend him.

I was just messin' with you guys.  :P

You're probably right nonetheless lol.

I don't understand how us showing fake interest in Mariota would benefit us if other teams believe we will draft him it seems to me we would only be increasing the value of the number 4 pick for someone that wants to move up to get him.

If a team moves ahead of us to draft him it pushes a defensive player one pick closer to us. Essentially gives us a chance at the best edge rusher. 

Lunch room metaphor:

"Oh man, I really want your non-brand specific chocolate pudding cup!  I'll give you my apple and half of my crackers!"

"But chocolate is my favorite flavor..."

"OK, all of my crackers!"

I'd be perfectly fine with this. We wouldn't be giving up multiple draft choices and if Gruden thinks he can work with Mariota than we should go for it. It would be sad to see them give up on RGIII but that may end up being the best for both parties.

too early to start asking about a nickname for Marcus? 

Just entertaining the fact that we would be picking two QB's in the top 5 of the NFL draft over a 4 year period is too exhausting. 

Honest question, in the history of the draft, has that ever been done by a team ... two top 5 picks on QB's in 4 years?

RG3 is going into the last year of his rookie deal, has suffered severe injuries in the NFL and college, and hasn't looked like a franchise QB since his rookie year. 

Marcus Mariota would be in the first year of a rookie deal that would offer the team massive flexibility in building the team. Do not underestimate that. Even if RG3 has a good year -- a massive if -- they then have to pay him.

And don't forget that Andy Dalton came from a spread offense in college. Jay isn't going to dismiss Mariota because of the struggles of RG3.

If MM is at five, and the Skins like him, they will take him. The real question is: will he be there?

RG3 is going into the last year of his rookie deal, has suffered severe injuries in the NFL and college, and hasn't looked like a franchise QB since his rookie year. 

Marcus Mariota would be in the first year of a rookie deal that would offer the team massive flexibility in building the team. Do not underestimate that. Even if RG3 has a good year -- a massive if -- they then have to pay him.

And don't forget that Andy Dalton came from a spread offense in college. Jay isn't going to dismiss Mariota because of the struggles of RG3.

If MM is at five, and the Skins like him, they will take him. The real question is: will he be there?

jesus, body punch followed up by an upper cut. 

great points ... 

Archived