Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CSN Washington: Scot McCloughan to attend Marcus Mariota's pro day

Boss_Hogg

Dalton played in a more 'pro-style' spread (more WCO passing concepts and rhythm drop back passing) as opposed to air-raid based uptempo spread like Baylor and Oregon. (In terms of style of offense Hundley, Garrett, Carden and especially Mannion are much better 'scheme' fits for Jay's offense)...........

BUT I think it makes far more sense to draft Garrett Grayson in the 3rd round from a scheme fit perspective and team building plan........ 

Didn't know where this fit so I thought I would follow-up on a previous thought/conversation..

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/chi-jon-gruden-scouts-5-qbs-bears-nfl-draft-20150304-story.html

On Grayson: “There’s a lot of parts of Colorado State’s system that I recognize, unlike a lot of college football that’s running up-tempo, no-huddle, spread-option football. There’s some principles at Colorado State that will serve Grayson well. He can run it. He can audible. He can get you out of trouble with his legs. He’s a dark horse in this class.”

On Hundley: “Hundley helped put UCLA football back on the map. They were in trouble before he arrived. Really, what he did running and passing, taking over the city of Los Angeles the last three years, is a great accomplishment. And, for the Bruins to finish as a top-10 team, that puts an exclamation point on his career. A talented guy.”

On Mariota: “Mariota is special in a lot of ways. He’s a dynamic dual-threat on the field and he is humble -- no-nonsense, full of character off the field. 4.52 is what he ran (at the combine). He competes like crazy. I just think he has a lot of 'can’t miss’ qualities.”

On Petty: “Petty might have the best arm talent in this draft. Last year Derek Carr came to town and put on an aerial display. I would be surprised if Petty isn’t that guy this year. Stereotyped in the Baylor offense, but he’s different. He’s a great passer. He’s a finisher. I love finishers. Gray shirt, red shirt, waited his time. He’s physically and mentally ready to go. I like Petty.”

On Winston: “Not many people do what Jameis Winston did: first year as a starter winning a national championship, only one loss in his two years as a starter. He’s got great charisma. He’s polarizing for some people but he’s a rare talent. I can’t wait to spend some time with him. I coached the Bucs with a Florida State quarterback named Brad Johnson. Things worked out all right.”

Has Gruden ever said anything bad about anyone? The dude is still lobbying for a good HC job in the NFL and is never going to burn any bridges. 

His review of every NFL player and coach ever: They're great and I love them

Dalton played in a more 'pro-style' spread (more WCO passing concepts and rhythm drop back passing) as opposed to air-raid based uptempo spread like Baylor and Oregon. (In terms of style of offense Hundley, Garrett, Carden and especially Mannion are much better 'scheme' fits for Jay's offense)

From my eye Mariota is very similar to Griffin. Griffin has better arm talent but Mariota is a better runner/scrambler.

Both played in air-raid based uptempo spread zone-read offenses.

I like Mariota, I think he's a better prospect then that knucklehead Winston, but MM isn't ready to play right away unless Jay drastically changes the offense.

I understand the rationale for drafting a QB and Mariota would make sense IF he wasn't so much like Griffin. You don't plan to be drafting top 10 all the time and IF they think Mariota has franchise potential then they almost have to take him.

BUT I think it makes far more sense to draft Garrett Grayson in the 3rd round from a scheme fit perspective and team building plan.

But lets say there is some other reason then scheme that is preventing the Jay-Griffin marriage from working and they think Mariota could be the guy then they should trade Griffin and start Kirk while Mariota learns.

This make the most sense of any post I've ever read on ES.  Bravo.

The only way I see us taking a QB in the first round is if Tampa takes Mariota. I think we would then take Winston because he has a higher IQ when it comes to pocket passing and thats what Jay Gruden really wants. Mariota has similar traits to RG3 and they both come from similar offense. But then again Winston has major off the field problems so who knows.

Even if Mariota was taken by Tampa there is no way Winston gets past the Titans. We have a slim/none chance of getting Winston.  But if he did slip I would think we would have no choice but to take him.

Total smokescreen.  The message all off season has been BPA.  I just don't see this guy as a day 1 gamechanger or the 5th best talent in the draft.  Why not let Cousins and Griffin battle it out in their last year and see if fielding a halfway decent defense gives either one of them enough of a cushion to be effective.  I think QB either gets addressed in a late round project or high draft pick next year if neither of our guys work out.

very close to my thought process .. we have to assume they have a plan .. until a better option comes along .. 

so we lose another year ..we'll be in the run for next year's prodigy .. I just hope the Coaches can survive the ridiculous assaults from the DC Media who are a non factor and the worst of them wind up at Bob Kraft's 4 Letter Network (except Kiem)

Even if Mariota was taken by Tampa there is no way Winston gets past the Titans. We have a slim/none chance of getting Winston.  But if he did slip I would think we would have no choice but to take him.

Since QB are overvalued, I still have a hard time Winston or Mariota as BPA at #5. I would have other options that seems better than these two.

Archived