Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CSN Washington: Scot McCloughan to attend Marcus Mariota's pro day

Boss_Hogg

Maybe this has been said earlier in the thread, but doesn't it make sense to SM to go to Mariotta's pro day just to talk to other teams that might be interested.  Most mock boards have him going at #6 to the Jets - that makes the Skin's #5 the most affordable way for any team drafting at #7 or above to make a deal to leapfrog the Jets.  Just off the top of my head, Brees, Vaccarro and #13 would be an interesting deal.  Ray, Collins and Waynes should all be available at 13.  Or hold the Jets ransom on draft day - get a player/pick from the Jets and drop down one pick just by acting like you're about to make a deal.

Maybe this has been said earlier in the thread, but doesn't it make sense to SM to go to Mariotta's pro day just to talk to other teams that might be interested.  Most mock boards have him going at #6 to the Jets - that makes the Skin's #5 the most affordable way for any team drafting at #7 or above to make a deal to leapfrog the Jets.  Just off the top of my head, Brees, Vaccarro and #13 would be an interesting deal.  Ray, Collins and Waynes should all be available at 13.  Or hold the Jets ransom on draft day - get a player/pick from the Jets and drop down one pick just by acting like you're about to make a deal.

So if it's quite obvious he'll go to the Jets baring a trade, you do have to be at the pro day for those reasons

- There's others players practicing and they deserve a view.

- See which teams are paying close attention to Mariota and are below #6 so you can start the talks for an upcoming trade and see who you might fleece.

- Just to make sure you don't make any mistakes and you don't miss any potential prospect for any round. So you have the most input as possible before the draft on as many prospects as possible.

Theres no way you take Mariota with the 5th pick. You get the BPA and keep it moving. I think we draft a Qb but in the later rounds. One who actually has experience in pocket passing in some type of pro style offense when they were in college. Build yourself a strong team overall and when the time is right make your move to try and get franchise QB. But not this year with the 5th overall pick.

Theres no way you take Mariota with the 5th pick. You get the BPA and keep it moving. I think we draft a Qb but in the later rounds. One who actually has experience in pocket passing in some type of pro style offense when they were in college. Build yourself a strong team overall and when the time is right make your move to try and get franchise QB. But not this year with the 5th overall pick.

What if Scot deems Mariota the BPA?

My belief is that Scot Mac was there talking to others about a trade feeling out teams seeing what he could get. I think if we was really thinking about drafting him J would have been there also. So with that said I think we will draft a QB later in the draft and that QB will be Sean Mannion  Oregon St.

He attends because you run a football team like a component CEO for any company would. Knowledge is powerful. Any knowledge you can obtain about s potential business recruit or about your competition is powerful. Two you send a message to those around you including players that we are going to improve this company/team and no thing or person is sacred or bigger than the company/team. Third you must prepare yourself for every or as many situations that may present themselves so you have a strategy rather than fire sale reaction. Fourth it is always good to keeping hour competition guessing. If no one from the redskins goes to this pro day you just gave your competition valuable intel. For all of these reasons I would be encouraged that finally there is someone evaluating and making decisions on personnel that actually has a process like a competent CEO would for a company.

What if Scot deems Mariota the BPA?

The only way I see us taking a QB in the first round is if Tampa takes Mariota. I think we would then take Winston because he has a higher IQ when it comes to pocket passing and thats what Jay Gruden really wants. Mariota has similar traits to RG3 and they both come from similar offense. But then again Winston has major off the field problems so who knows.

I'd be perfectly fine with this. We wouldn't be giving up multiple draft choices and if Gruden thinks he can work with Mariota than we should go for it. It would be sad to see them give up on RGIII but that may end up being the best for both parties.

I have accepted the fact that Robert might just be a "lost cause" at this point but if Jay couldn't help a mobile QB with ROTY pedigree develop, why should any Redskins fan be confident in his ability to develop Mariota or any mobile QB for that matter coming out of college who hasn't played in a traditional pro style offense before? 

If the existing quarterbacks are failures, the recent coaching regimes and front office personnel have failed as well. This sinking ship isn't all Robert and Kirk's fault. It has been a collective effort but the zealots in the fan base insist on focusing on Robert's failures primarily, which is convenient but also blindly delusional. 

Then Jay better be on board.

Damn straight.  I'd have to think that conversation will take place several times between now and pick #5.  

-----------------------------------------

FWIW, I'd have been upset if SM didn't go to Mariota's pro day, considering there's a chance he'll fall to 5.  If he falls, you've got to have all of your ducks in a row, and information on every player, to make whatever decision your going go make, whether draft the guy, pass up on the guy, or trade down.

Truth be told, wouldn't he be almost neglect in his duties to not go look at the guy ranked at our pick?

What else does he have to do that day. It can only help us, by going. It serves no purpose to not go, other than to advertise to the rest of the GMs that we have no interest in him. 

Maybe he went just to show interest, and pump up value in our pick.

If he is BPA and the trade offers are bunk so we take him, Jay sure as hell better start slipping more plays into the playbook that support him and RG3. 

There are only two options at #5

- Take M&M

- Trade down if another team wants eminem

If RG3 gets hurt again this year then you only have Capt. Kirk. So getting MM was a smart move and everyone will love you and praise how smart you are - everyone wants love and praise. :D

If RG3 doesn't get hurt and plays lights out or close to it then you get rid of Kirk and keep MM

When RG3 leaves then MM becomes the starter (well that is if he plays really well and we don't end up drafting/trading for a new toy).

This should be at least a 3 year plan with the current coach we have. This should be about continuity and not cancellation.

Curious about the pre-draft grades given to both Griff and MM I did a quick search.  I didn't really find any numerical comparisons but I did find this review of Griffin:

His intangibles are making so many general managers swoon. Griffin, because of his athletic ability and Joe Montana-like ability to extend plays and remain focused on moving the ball downfield, not to mention his hurdling ability, could stand to be the better physical prospect than presumed No. 1 pick Andrew Luck.

He drops back with absolute ease. He is able to feel comfortable enough in the pocket to step into a throw in traffic or reset outside the pocket. At this point, unlike Luck, he can also move the ball downfield with his feet. While many would argue that RG3 might be an athlete playing quarterback, his junior-year performance reaffirmed that he is simply an athletic quarterback, a guy who can make all the smart throws first and create later if necessary.

He anticipates plays so well and is able to react to a point where he should be able to avoid big hits, even at the NFL level.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2012/profiles/robert-griffin%20iii?id=2533033

:D

We're not going to pigeonhole ourselves into something so silly as to giving only two options for the fifth pick. There's going to be a bounty of great players at that pick, it's not MM or bust.

Was going to say the same thing to the post above yours. But I had to go to lunch. Actually, I think we sit in the catbird's seat with a myriad of options.

Archived