Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CSN Washington: Scot McCloughan to attend Marcus Mariota's pro day

Boss_Hogg

I would be IMMENSELY disappointed if we drafted Mariota. I don't think him or Winston will do outstandingly well in the NFL, Mariota might depending on the circumstances he could be drafted in (ie not here).  Mariota throws some beautiful passes but I really do worry about the system he plays in.  I know it really doesn't matter these days if you come from a spread but the 62-4 TD INT ratio (or whatever it was) is 100% from the system of wide open receivers.  He is a huge gamble on a team with holes and a top 5 pick.

Regardless of what other's think, I am still an unabashed RG3 fan.  I believe he is our future, we know the talent he has and we know what he can do.  The question is can he stay healthy.  If people can still make excuses for Sam Bradford and his performances/injuries with bad teams, why does RG3 not get the same luxury?  RG3's rookie year was 10x better than anything Bradford has done yet people still think Bradford is some sort of maligned and unlucky God-QB.  The Washington Redskins need to stick with their players, and we need to make them work instead of throwing them away for another college star.  Why does this fanbase and coaching staff put their QBs in horrible posistions and then turn on them?  Just say no to any notion of new starting QBs.  In my opinion.

I don't think we are considering drafting him regardless.

I would be IMMENSELY disappointed if we drafted Mariota. I don't think him or Winston will do outstandingly well in the NFL, Mariota might depending on the circumstances he could be drafted in (ie not here).  Mariota throws some beautiful passes but I really do worry about the system he plays in.  I know it really doesn't matter these days if you come from a spread but the 62-4 TD INT ratio (or whatever it was) is 100% from the system of wide open receivers.  He is a huge gamble on a team with holes and a top 5 pick.

Regardless of what other's think, I am still an unabashed RG3 fan.  I believe he is our future, we know the talent he has and we know what he can do.  The question is can he stay healthy.  If people can still make excuses for Sam Bradford and his performances/injuries with bad teams, why does RG3 not get the same luxury?  RG3's rookie year was 10x better than anything Bradford has done yet people still think Bradford is some sort of maligned and unlucky God-QB.  The Washington Redskins need to stick with their players, and we need to make them work instead of throwing them away for another college star.  Why does this fanbase and coaching staff put their QBs in horrible posistions and then turn on them?  Just say no to any notion of new starting QBs.  In my opinion.

I don't think we are considering drafting him regardless.

Winston is the opposite of Mariota and RGIII. Wish we had a shot at him. Guy could do things in high school - as far as reading coverages and playing QB go - that RGIII still hasnt learned. Mariota hasnt had to learn anything other than get the play from the sideline and hike it as fast as possible. 

Mariota has bust written all over him. Very average arm talent, unexceptional accuracy, and plays in an extremely QB friendly system. He's definitely a long term project, at best.

I love how the rumors are floating around like crazy to us taking him at #5. This is masterful work by the skins. Get other teams to believe we are going to take him, and enjoy the possible haul of draft picks as teams trade up to grab him from us.

Mariota has bust written all over him. Very average arm talent, unexceptional accuracy, and plays in an extremely QB friendly system. He's definitely a long term project, at best.

I love how the rumors are floating around like crazy to us taking him at #5. This is masterful work by the skins. Get other teams to believe we are going to take him, and enjoy the possible haul of draft picks as teams trade up to grab him from us.

Other teams aren't stupid. Its mostly just the sports media that is jumping all over this Skins/Mariota thing. We'd probably have to do a lot more to actually convince teams that we're giving up on RG3 and drafting another spread dual threat QB at #5 overall with all of the other glaring holes we have. My guess is this is more just due diligence than anything, but if some team is dumb enough to think we're going to do it and will jump ahead of us, great...another top player gets pushed down the board towards us.

What if;

3 QB's on roster

RG3-Starter

Cousins 2nd

Mariota- 3rd (project development)

We still have RG3/Cousins-Cheap for next year

Start RG3--if he lights it up---keep or talk trade in 2016...he'll either have better market value or be the bust he's called right now.

If we go 8-8  we won't get a franchise QB in the draft in 2016...

SOLVE the QB problem is Mariota IS A LOW RISK QUALITY QB...

THAT's what I'd do.

What if;

3 QB's on roster

RG3-Starter

Cousins 2nd

Mariota- 3rd (project development)

We still have RG3/Cousins-Cheap for next year

Start RG3--if he lights it up---keep or talk trade in 2016...he'll either have better market value or be the bust he's called right now.

If we go 8-8  we won't get a franchise QB in the draft in 2016...

SOLVE the QB problem is Mariota IS A LOW RISK QUALITY QB...

THAT's what I'd do.

Doesn't make sense for us to draft a QB at 5 if we dont think he's ready to play immediatley.  Too many other Day 1 starters still available and too many other areas we need help at.  Mariota may be low risk but spending a top 5 pick on him over someone who can help the team TODAY seems very high/unecessary risk 

Doesn't make sense for us to draft a QB at 5 if we dont think he's ready to play immediatley.  Too many other Day 1 starters still available and too many other areas we need help at.  Mariota may be low risk but spending a top 5 pick on him over someone who can help the team TODAY seems very high/unecessary risk 

I guess it depends if we WANT a chance at a francise QB. I don't *think* we'll be in the top 5 draft position next year..think we'll be better (can't be worse). Next year is a building year...Secondary and DL an unknown entity. It would be NICE if SM is THAT GOOD that he can pluck a QB in later rounds....I agree..MANY OTHER NEEDS..but I'm willing to bet we'll be looking for a QB next year...why not have him on the roster learning the Pro Offense...I am friggin tired of NOT having our QB on the roster...Just my opinion...I would fully understand going for BPA

Picking Mariota at  #5 is a HIGH risk pick. Low would be to pick someone like Shane Carden or Sean Mannion in the 6th or 7th round. You don't lose much.

Problem I do have with going QB this year is that I doubt it'll help us. We'll have drama regarding QB position this year between, RG3, MM and Kirk (who could very well win the job). Then, you'd have to lose either Kirk or RG3 next year through FA if you can't resign any of them.

Also, I do have problem sending any of them on the field with our crappy line (that haven't been adressed yet) and you fail to address it in the later rounds. We still need to protect our QB somehow correctly so they don't play scared. Otherwise, no matter who you put down there behind the C, we'll be in trouble if by the end of 2015 if RG3 and KC elsewhere due to FA with an unproven QB whose skills don't really match our HC wishes and no line to defend him.

I guess it depends if we WANT a chance at a francise QB. I don't *think* we'll be in the top 5 draft position next year..think we'll be better (can't be worse). Next year is a building year...Secondary and DL an unknown entity. It would be NICE if SM is THAT GOOD that he can pluck a QB in later rounds....I agree..MANY OTHER NEEDS..but I'm willing to bet we'll be looking for a QB next year...why not have him on the roster learning the Pro Offense...I am friggin tired of NOT having our QB on the roster...Just my opinion...I would fully understand going for BPA

Im actually in the minority that thinks Cousins should be the starter at this point.  Our team put up the most points with him running the offense and if we give him a defense that doesn't force him to throw up 40 points each week I think we can be competitive.  For all the talk of him being a turnover machine it was really 2 games where he tried to force some magic because he knew our defense couldn't stop anyone.  RG3 is just a celebrity who happens to play football.  He has talent but he's never in the news for what he does on the field anymore

Again, if Scot likes him at all, and he's there, he will take him.

Bank on it.

And if we don't take him, RG3 is really going to have to show something to be the opening day starter. 

I think it would need to be more than just "likes him at all". If you're taking a QB at #5 overall you better be enamored and pretty damn confident that he will become a franchise QB. Personally, I don't see Mariota being anything near a sure fire franchise QB considering the system he played in, etc. But obviously SM knows a hell of a lot more about it than me so if he really likes him obviously he sees something I don't. I would be extremely surprised if we went with Mariota with our first pick. 

I doubt we pick QB in the first.  With all the defensive free agents, I think we will trade down and go oline or safety.  If we stay at #5, I don't have a clue who we will pick.  BPA would suggest an OLB or WR. 

I do want to add this opinion:  If RGIII was coming out this year, he would be the clear #1 pick of this draft.  This is why I feel all the Gruden doesn't think Robert can be an NFL QB stuff is BS.  It would mean that Gruden doesn't think anyone coming out this year can be an NFL QB.  Also, if Scott M. agrees with my opinion, he certainly would want to allow Robert to have a 2nd year in the Gruden system with an improved oline (we hope.)

With Rak gone now I wouldn't necessarily be surprised with an edge rusher unless they don't value any of them as worth the #5 overall pick. Then again we have no way of knowing what SM and company think of Murphy...he was decent last year as a rotational guy but wasn't exactly a standout. If Williams falls to us I can't see us passing on him even though we've been bringing in plenty of interior guys...but I don't see him getting to 5. I like Shelton but I feel he is a reach that high. 

I doubt we pick QB in the first.  With all the defensive free agents, I think we will trade down and go oline or safety.  If we stay at #5, I don't have a clue who we will pick.  BPA would suggest an OLB or WR. 

I do want to add this opinion:  If RGIII was coming out this year, he would be the clear #1 pick of this draft.  This is why I feel all the Gruden doesn't think Robert can be an NFL QB stuff is BS.  It would mean that Gruden doesn't think anyone coming out this year can be an NFL QB.  Also, if Scott M. agrees with my opinion, he certainly would want to allow Robert to have a 2nd year in the Gruden system with an improved oline (we hope.)

No. He would not be.  Winston > RGIII and it isn't close. Winston knows more about running a pro style offense than RGIII right now. 

No. He would not be.  Winston > RGIII and it isn't close. Winston knows more about running a pro style offense than RGIII right now. 

Dunno about all that. Griffin was the consensus #2 QB behind Luck and lots of analysts rated them pretty close to each other...and Luck was a far superior prospect to Winston. Just because he comes from a pro style system doesn't automatically mean he'll be successful, though it does help in being ready for the NFL game sooner in theory. 

Disagree about the clear cut number one pick stuff. Numerous scouts have said Mariota is a better prospect or at least as good a prospect as RG3. And then there's Winston.

Who knows? I trust Scott. Again, do not underestimate the whole contract thing. RG3 still looks like a rookie and is going into the last year of his deal after suffering two severe injuries. MM -- if the Skins think he has franchise QB potential -- would offer the team tremendous flexibility salary cap wise because of the rookie wage scale. 

And Andy Dalton came from a spread offense as well. Just because RG3 has struggled mightily with certain things, doesn't mean Mariota would.

I have no idea what to make of Mariota. Not advocating for taking him. Would love to trade down if that's a possibility. But if the Skins do take him, I'll more than understand why.

Dalton came from a spread system but IMO he is a relatively average to slightly above average QB...you're looking for something more than that when picking a guy #5 overall. If they drafted Mariota I'd hope it would be with the understanding that he likely wouldn't be immediately ready for the pro game and they'd need to be patient with him. 

I can't even imagine the **** show circus if we drafted another QB at 5. What do we do with Griffin and Cousins? Do we keep all three and put up with the inevitable carnival ride that would be the 2015 season with that situation? Do we trade Griffin for whatever we can get and just hope that Mariota can start immediately and not get murdered and shell shocked behind our (currently) poor OL? Do we keep Cousins and hope he can get us through a season while Mariota learns?

Dalton played in a more 'pro-style' spread (more WCO passing concepts and rhythm drop back passing) as opposed to air-raid based uptempo spread like Baylor and Oregon. (In terms of style of offense Hundley, Garrett, Carden and especially Mannion are much better 'scheme' fits for Jay's offense)

From my eye Mariota is very similar to Griffin. Griffin has better arm talent but Mariota is a better runner/scrambler.

Both played in air-raid based uptempo spread zone-read offenses.

I like Mariota, I think he's a better prospect then that knucklehead Winston, but MM isn't ready to play right away unless Jay drastically changes the offense.

I understand the rationale for drafting a QB and Mariota would make sense IF he wasn't so much like Griffin. You don't plan to be drafting top 10 all the time and IF they think Mariota has franchise potential then they almost have to take him.

BUT I think it makes far more sense to draft Garrett Grayson in the 3rd round from a scheme fit perspective and team building plan.

But lets say there is some other reason then scheme that is preventing the Jay-Griffin marriage from working and they think Mariota could be the guy then they should trade Griffin and start Kirk while Mariota learns.

Im actually in the minority that thinks Cousins should be the starter at this point. Our team put up the most points with him running the offense and if we give him a defense that doesn't force him to throw up 40 points each week I think we can be competitive. For all the talk of him being a turnover machine it was really 2 games where he tried to force some magic because he knew our defense couldn't stop anyone. RG3 is just a celebrity who happens to play football. He has talent but he's never in the news for what he does on the field anymore

I agree. Even if its not Cousins lets see it through with RG3, letting the chips fall where they may.

From what I've heard next year will have a better QB class. If the team sucks they will be in position to draft one without giving up the farm.

Most importantly without reaching, trying to fit a square peg in a round hole. IE drafting a hot shot QB prospect and hoping he fits the offensive system (like I suspect the case with Mariotta will be).

Archived