Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

As best as I can tell, the movie American Sniper is being turned into a hate film by the liberal media

Springfield

I don't know ANYHTING about this guy, or this movie, so i have no opinion one way or the other on either yet....

but i think its pretty sad that you think people have to have been in war situations to "decide what kind of human being somebody is"

“We stood behind you Seth with your movie, and we said you had the right to make the movie you wanted to make. Give them the same respect, because we stood behind them. Michael Moore, you know better,” said Goldberg, who returned to the ABC daytime talk show from a two-week hiatus while she nursed a bulging disc in her back.

See photos: Oscars 2015: The Nominees (Photos)

“My brother came through the ’60s,” she said. “If you’ve ever been to war, you can call people all kinds of names. Until the bombs are exploding around you, and people are dying around you, you need to be a little more sensitive, dudes. I get that you’re creative types, but so are they. So back up, or not?”

Co-host Nicolle Wallace chimed in.

“These guys die so people like Michael Moore and Seth Rogen can say this stuff. So, the next time they trash a movie about America’s heroes they should add a little thank you,” Wallace said. “They compared these guys to Nazis … It’s offensive. It’s reprehensible, and I think the military should boycott Seth Rogen‘s crappy movie.”

https://www.yahoo.com/tv/news/view-whoopi-goldberg-slams-seth-rogen-michael-moore-182925331.html

I think this is what he is saying.

I saw it, and one of the main things I took from this movie was a vivid reminder of some of the true horrors of PTSD and that we need to continue our progress towards the understanding of mental illiness and treatment in this country. It is still easier to get a gun then it is to get help, that has to change.

Another topic that I feel is being missed is that a huge reason we as a country are stuggling with our morals in this War on Terror is because we're fighing an enemy that has none. I've read articles about some terrorist groups using mentally ill women and children as suicide bombers, and I will never forget some of our dead soilders getting hung upside-down in Fullujah.

I could care less what MM and Seth Rogen have to say about this. I've read that Chris Kyle likes to exagerrate sometimes, but this movie was anything but an exageration.

Not referring to anyone in this thread but more of the twitter crowd. I find it hilarious that some people fly the American flag as high as they can but then get mad at other people for exercising their right to freedom of speech and telling those people to leave the country lmao. You don't even know what America stands for. You'd think that people who scream "America **** yea" till they are blue in the face would know about the 1st amendment.

Not referring to anyone in this thread but more of the twitter crowd. I find it hilarious that some people fly the American flag as high as they can but then get mad at other people for exercising their right to freedom of speech and telling those people to leave the country lmao. You don't even know what America stands for. You'd think that people who scream "America **** yea" till they are blue in the face would know about the 1st amendment.

I get your point, but are those people also expressing their opinions?

Kinda like when the dixie chicks (Natalie Maines) said what she did, then pulled the first amendment martyr bit.

It does go both ways.

But I do get that people should recognize that even seemingly 'unpatriotic' speech is protected.

Yea I understand that it goes both ways. And I know that just because you have a right to say something does not mean that people have to like what you say or that you can't get in trouble for your words. But when you see people talking about the movie on twitter of FB saying things like "If you don't like America then leave!" or "I was at the grocery store today and I saw a lady with a Hijab and I told her This is America take that off" Its like holy crap I know everyone has the right to express their opinions even if they are not popular but I mean you're trying to take the freedom out of America lol

I know this is a very unpopular opinion and don't get me wrong I love our troops and think that our military people are the greatest in the world (I'm also not offended by what the movies portrays and I'm not offended by the actions that happen in wars.....except drones :D ) but they don't get to pick what rights they fight for or get to pick how people use the rights that they fought for. I know that that church group or w/e from Kansas that protests dead soldiers funerals I would like nothing more for those people to get in a explosive bus crash. But I think technically soldiers are even fighting and dying for those people to have the right to protest their funerals.

Replace 1st Amendment with 2nd Amendment, and wat church opinions swing 180°.

I dont think our military is the greatest in the world and I freaking love drones. I could also care less what Michael Moore thinks is cowardly. Rogan's comments were taken out of context.I like the 1st Amendment and the 2nd Amendment. And the 3rd. I love my dog but have never used a tissue on his face. He'd eat it. What kind of person a person is in war is rarely the kind of person they are in real life. Chris Kyle thought .338 LM was superior to .50 BMG. Cheytac .416 > all

War is ugly.

As much as it may be easy for some who never sniffed a battlefield to play moral police, it may be just as easy for others paint a simple, black and white picture of something that has an endless amount of layers, and can turn even the best of men, into monsters.

My uncle fought in Desert Storm, and has spoken to no one in my family, to this day, about what he saw. Some soldiers may feel "Heroic" about what they accomplish on the battlefield. Some may not feel heroic at all. Theyre all still people, so they all must feel different.

I just dont get how people make it seem so simple. "Hero/Murderer..."Good Guy/Bad Guy"... "Praise/Deify them/ Attack/Abandon them"

I just think we have to accept that not everyone is going to march to the same drumbeat when it comes to instances like this, and sometimes, im not really sure I can blame them.

They have my respect, for what they are willing to personally sacrifice, but I dont pretend that it will always be something heroic, but rather, "necessary," which depends on pov. It was something I was prepared to live with when I attempted to sign up to join the military (before I was disqualified)

Anyways, just my $0.02. Hopefully no one takes that the wrong way

Great so the comments about not knowing that Seth Rogan or MM were part of the media were unnecessary.  With regards to media bias, there is liberal media and conservative media.  I never understood why either side gets offended when there are clearly biased media outlets on both sides.

The comments about Rogan and Moore were a less-than-serious response to the not-to-be-taken-seriously notion of a "liberal media" attack on a Bradley Cooper movie.  And if you think sarcasm is unnecessary, then you must be new to the Tailgate.  Welcome.

You forgot a category, by the way: (1) liberal media, (2) conservative media, and (3) plain old often-actually-trying-to-get-it-correct media.  Which is not to say the latter group are particularly great at that -- only that their results are dramatically less slanted and demagogic than those of their cable based, single-aisle agenda pushing cousins.  Their mistakes actually lean both ways, often seemingly at random, as one would expect from a group of outlets who are merely borderline incompetent at narrating reliably.  

Mistaking the often-actually-trying media for "liberal media" because it doesn't share one's heavy rightward slant -- and then casually suggesting that others would somehow take offense to that mistake -- seems like a gross exercise in over-inflating one's importance.

The topic of the thread would better be focused on the liberal social media war, vise the news outlets.  But again, because the OP is poorly formed, instead of focusing on the subject with regards to the liberals attacking the film, it's all focused on whether or not there is a liberal media, or proclamations about the semantics of the OP....gotta love the tailgate.  :wacko:

That's a focus you were happy to participate in.  Hmmm.

Perhaps in an effort to avoid such silly phrases as "the liberal social media war?"

The comments about Rogan and Moore were a less-than-serious response to the not-to-be-taken-seriously notion of a "liberal media" attack on a Bradley Cooper movie.  And if you think sarcasm is unnecessary, then you must be new to the Tailgate.  Welcome.

You forgot a category, by the way: (1) liberal media, (2) conservative media, and (3) plain old often-actually-trying-to-get-it-correct media.  Which is not to say the latter group are particularly great at that -- only that their results are dramatically less slanted and demagogic than those of their cable based, single-aisle agenda pushing cousins.  Their mistakes actually lean both ways, often seemingly at random, as one would expect from a group of outlets who are merely borderline incompetent at narrating reliably.  

Mistaking the often-actually-trying media for "liberal media" because it doesn't share one's heavy rightward slant -- and then casually suggesting that others would somehow take offense to that mistake -- seems like a gross exercise in over-inflating one's importance.

That's a focus you were happy to participate in.  Hmmm.

Perhaps in an effort to avoid such silly phrases as "the liberal social media war?"

MJAH, the drama is strong with you my friend.

Since when has this liberal tailgate been an often-actually-trying group.

I don't play in the world of dramatic, or outright untruthful.  I call things as I see them.  It's ok to be politically biased, it's not ok to be untruthful.

Your post is nothing but nonsense, really?  I mean I know the right fighters on the left want to fight the good fight, but let's be honest in our evaluation of what is being said and posted.  To pretend otherwise comes across as just silly.

Micheal Moore is an ******* looking to get some air time by trashing someone he knows nothing about.

Politicians who praise the sniper who they know nothing about as they bash Micheal Moore are doing the exact same thing.

Long story short...stop trying to draw attention to yourself by piggy backing off the achievements of someone else, live your life and earn your own merits and stop bashing or praising people that you don't know just to be an attention whore.

As long as they don't abandon pure factual accuracy for storytelling as much as Oliver Stone did for "JFK," then we all should accept this as a reasonable part of the art of film making.   There is no "objective truth" in this sort of situation.

Dumbing a story down by sacrificing realism and accuracy to enhance dramatic presentation is a legit artistic criticism. Sensationalism and/or oversimplification is a cheap way around problems of story telling, and if a film goes too far in doing it, it hurts the quality and merit of the art IMO. The best and most artful films can still present an interesting or powerful story without without sensationalism oversimplification. Judging if a work strays too far down that path is a matter of taste, as always.

Chris Kyle is an interesting dude. And I'm sure the movie is beyond good. Eastwood usually doesn't fail to deliver.

That said, Kyle's backstory after his tours is steeped with apparent half truths or bald face lies.

Kyle claims that he was a government operative hired to kill 30+ looters in post Katrina while perched on the top of the Superdome.

Kyle also claims that he killed a pair of carjackers in Texas and dialed up the Pentagon to have local authorities clean up the scene.  

And we all know of Kyle's claims that he beat up Jesse Ventura (a former special ops soldier) because he claimed that Ventura made disparaging comments about Navy SEALS. The courts disagreed.

Again, this takes nothing away from the movie or Kyle's service. It does however, darken the legend that some are trying to make out of this guy.

I have a serious question. Who gives a **** what Seth Rogan thinks? Honestly, it's surprising to me that he even realizes the US was involved in Iraq or Afgjanistan. Dudes a stoner. He is living proof you don't have to actually be talented to be successful in Hollywood, you just gotta have the rigjt friends. And Michael Moore is a fatty who makes purposefully biased "documentaries" that express his opinion. Anyone taking his POV seriously needs to be examined. The media is actually being very kind to this movie.

As an aside, and devoid of any politics, I don't know of any movie in recent memory advertised as much as this one.  I swear every other TV ad I see is a trailer for this movie. 

And it looks really good.  If I went to movies with any frequency, I would probably go see this one.  But holy ****, the advertising budget for American Sniper must equal the GNP of a small South American country.

has anyone seen this movie?  is it good?  i am thinking about going to see this on saturday.

Wifey, son (21) and daughter (18) have seen it.

They all said the same thing - at the end of the movie, not one person in the entire theater made a sound as they left.

Well I, for one, can't wait to see the movie this weekend.  I haven't heard one thing about it being politically-bent; more that it is a story about Chris Kyle and his victories and struggles as a soldier, father, husband and human.  I've heard that it is a really powerful and sobering movie.

And as always, the classless, dumpity, piggly-wiggly, assclown can go screw himself.   :)

Archived