Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Who are legitimate options to replace Haslett as DC?

HtownRocks111

I remember a post a couple years back from LL that said that Bruce was a huge Raheem fan.  He said Bruce thinks/thought that Raheem is HC material.  

And there really is no need for conspiracy theories.  Like Bruce setting Jay up to fail so that Snyder can fire him next season.  That really doesn't make a whole lot of sense, especially since Bruce is likely tied to Jay if he fails again next year.

The only explanation doesn't need a conspiracy at all.  And that is the simple fact that Bruce Allen is a ****ing moron.

The only explanation doesn't need a conspiracy at all.  And that is the simple fact that Bruce Allen is a ****ing moron.

This.  All this other nonsense about drama in the front office, and knowing Jay will fail next year, and greasing the skids to fire Jay are just silly.

It was readily apparent in the end of year news conference that Bruce Allen is a ****ing moron.  The comment that pissed me off the most was when he discussed having two losing seasons in a row and mentioned something to the effect that it happens in the NFL and it will probably happen again.  I mean does he not get that it's not about two losing seasons in a row, it's about the last 2 decades.

Bruce Allen is a narcissist, just like Dan Snyder.  They think they are smarter than everyone else.  They think they know what they are doing.  That's why they refuse to bring in a GM.

The arguments for Wade Philips are the exact same ones I heard a year ago, 'cuz we knew Hasless wasn't worth keeping. So tell me, what in the decision making process in the FO has changed that would result in the "AHA!" moment that would make this happen?

Speculation leads to accusation results in recrimination but at the end of the day, the same guys are doing the same things in the same way that gave us another year of Chester, signing Lauvao or Clark or Roberts, passing on Bitonio, yadda yadda-freekin-yadda..................

You look at symptoms to diagnose the underlying malaise if you want the patient to get better, IF!, if the patient getting better is your priority, not if you want to get credit or try a new medical regime or gather test data or make money in the process, IF the patient recovering is first then you tend to treat it with that in mind.

And to me it just doesn't seem like anyone gives a rats ass whether the patient survives.

I think the other thing to keep in my mind that time gets corrupted in ESville.  Remember, the day after the final game when people were alarmed that Haslett had not been terminated yet and within 24 hours so many were convinced that meant it was over and that he was back for another year.

Every day here feels like a week.  Every rumor becomes gripped like scientific law (especially, if it's unfavorable). I remember before how Gurnden's first preseason game there had been so much Jay talk and analysis that it felt like he'd been coach for three years and people completely had their minds made up about him.

I guess what I'm saying is look outside, see the frost on the car windows, and realize that even nature is telling you to chill.

I think the other thing to keep in my mind that time gets corrupted in ESville. Remember, the day after the final game when people were alarmed that Haslett had not been terminated yet and within 24 hours so many were convinced that meant it was over and that he was back for another year.

Every day here feels like a week. Every rumor becomes gripped like scientific law (especially, if it's unfavorable). I remember before how Gurnden's first preseason game there had been so much Jay talk and analysis that it felt like he'd been coach for three years and people completely had their minds made up about him.

I guess what I'm saying is look outside, see the frost on the car windows, and realize that even nature is telling you to chill.

Or R-E-L-A-X.

Bruce Allen? Most fans were kissing his butt, when he drafted Rambo. It's hilarious on this board sometimes. I understand the frustration but..........oh my lord!

That would be Shanahan who drafted Rambo, seeing as he had complete control of the football operations when he was here.

It was the same role he had in Denver, and it was the one he signed for, and had written into his contract here

Another one

He helped Carlos Rogers reach the Pro Bowl last season after struggling for six years with the Washington Redskins.

Hey, any coach who can teach Carlos Rogers how to hang on to the football, . . .

:)

Wade Phillips is best canidate available this should be easy. Has fixed defenses at every single stop. Has a long string of top 10 defenses. His scheme being 1 gap attacking 34 fits this team. Even his coverages are very easy to execute being cover 4/8 quarters

Yeah, he sounds a lot like Bill Parcells. All he does is take crummy teams and turn them into winners.

I think our new DC will be Morris. Him not being fired with Haslett points heavily to RM being retained. Which means a likely promotion since Haslett was the fall guy. 

A good coach would have sacrificed someone more than Rambo with the problems we saw. Gruden could barely manage the QB situation, let alone the entire team. Maybe he will consider not being the only team without a QB coach next year. You'd think it would be a given with 3 young QBs in the fold, but not in dysfunctional DC.

Back OT, Raheem was the perfect spring lamb for Gruden to ax to wake up the defense. Clearly Rambo was not our problem with blown coverages. I am happy to see Rambo in the league doing well. Not a surprise really, but it's a strike against RM to me. Rambo was the fall guy. Now it is Haslett. 

Who is the common denominator and last guy standing, probably our new DC. Allen clearly loves him some Morris, and is likely enamored and almost memorized by his chatterbox ways in practice. 

I am happy to see Rambo in the league doing well. Not a surprise really, but it's a strike against RM to me.

I wouldn't jump to any conclusions quite yet.  If you take his 2 INTs vs Aaron Rodgers game and compare it to the Redskins you'll say at first the only difference is the defensive coordinator probably put him in a better position to make a play.... but let's look deeper.

What does the Bills defense have that the Redskins don't?  You name it, they've got it and we don't have it.  Tons of pressure on the QB, winning the battle in the trenches causes havoc to even the best of QB's which often leads to exaggeration of how good the DBs are.  I'm not saying Rambo/Bills DBs aren't good but I bet you Rambo had to hold his coverage for alot longer in Washington then in Buffalo... and it's only been one game.  

I think the other thing to keep in my mind that time gets corrupted in ESville.  Remember, the day after the final game when people were alarmed that Haslett had not been terminated yet and within 24 hours so many were convinced that meant it was over and that he was back for another year.

Remember the day last year, when it was announced they were waiting to hire the HC, before determining Hasletts fate?  And most everyone said "Oh no, they are keeping Haslett", and everyone else said "Please, they are just taking their time".  Turns out those people were right, and turns out these people may be right again.  How many teams fired people and started searches in 24 hours?  Its not necessarily just ES, football moves that fast.

Oy, it really depresses me that they are seriously interviewing Joe Barry.  Joe Barry was the defensive coordinator for the Detroit Lions, his only 2 years ever being a DC.  He got the job because his father in law was Rod Marinelli, coach of the lions.  Who is the ONLY team to ever go 0-16?  The 2008 Detroit Lions.  Who was their DC? Joe Barry?  Who allowed the second most points in NFL history with 517?  Joe Barry and his defense.  He might be the ONLY coach in the NFL worse than Jim Haslett...

Might need to buy some people a Jump To Conclusions mat based on the assumptions being made here. Particularly with Morris. Morris wasn't fired (yet), because there's no point. Haslett was the fall guy. He goes. Until a new DC is hired, there's no point in firing the rest of the staff. Some may be retained. Some may not be. Sure, the team could hire Morris to be the DC. But Morris not being fired is essentially meaningless to whether or not he gets the job. His status remains very much in limbo. Just like Vic Fangio in SF. They're keeping him until a new head coach is hired. Then a decision can be made on his future. They might keep him. They might hire him to be head coach. He might get let go. All are on the table right now.

I agree with Peregrine, it's depressing to hear Joe Barry's name, especially since the three candidates we know they've contacted/discussed are Morris, Barry, and Donatell.

Morris and Barry's credentials make Donatell look like Chuck Noll.

I wouldn't mind Barry's name being there if we had a long list of interviews lined up so he could quickly be buried by someone more competent, but with such a short list he's gonna be high simply because he has to be.  And that makes him far too likely to be hired for my liking.

A Tampa goodfella

This is what's so incredible about us.  Maybe even impressive.

So you've got Raheem Morris, washed up ex-coach of a terrible Tampa team, whose unit here has been decidedly poor.  Now, there are some questions as to whether the full measure of terrible play from the secondary falls on Raheem or Haslett or scouting (or injuries), but there is really no doubt that the unit has underperformed and that the guy who is mostly responsible should not be promoted.

And yet he's probably the front runner.

But wait, there's more.

We go out, and one of the first people we plan on interviewing is a guy who oversaw the THIRTY-SECOND ranked defense (out of 32) in BOTH yards allowed AND points allowed.

BOTH!

And not just in one year either. In two consecutive years!  

HOW IS THAT EVEN POSSIBLE!?

Every year some terrible team like Oakland is 0-9 and everyone is wondering if they're gonna go 0-16 and then they manage two wins and everyone commentates about how truly difficult it is to go 0-16 in the NFL.

Well going 32nd/32nd in both yards and points is the same way.

Like with Haslett, his points allowed are horrible, but his yards allowed are at least in the low 20s or high teens (2012 excluded).  We even climbed as high as 13th in yards allowed in 2011.

Managing to have the worst defense in BOTH yards AND points is tremendously difficult.  When you have to dig specifically into things like "pass yards allowed per game," that second level of statistical analysis, to find a category you weren't worst in the NFL in?  You're bad.

But hey, maybe he just had a bad year, inherited a bad situation.  You know maybe he turns it aro-NOOOOOPPPPEEEE

In his 2nd year, as if to show everyone that IT CAN BE DONE! he manages to go 32/32 AGAIN!

Since 2002 only 1 team besides Detroit has managed to go 32/32, 2010 Denver.  They did it for 1 season.

Detroit, meanwhile, did it for 3 straight seasons (07-09), and Joe Barry oversaw 2 of those seasons.

He has literally overseen 50% of the seasons in the past 12 years where a team managed to have the worst defense in both yards and scoring categories.

I'm sorry Bruce, but if you're even legitimately considering this guy, like if he's in your top 5...

...I'd actually have preferred Vinny at the helm.

Getting someone from the 49er's organization would be nice, but you still better not expect an immediate turn around. Let us not forget that the 49ers were pretty bad for close to a decade just like we were, but they drafted quality players and bult that defense over the course of a handful of seasons.  It's not like we are going to bring someone in that is merely going to "whip into shape" our current roster.

I still think even more than coaching, we need better guys doing the scouting.  If you look at our draft history, it isn't a lack of picks hurting us, it is the amount of people who have been busts or nothing but backup ability players who are forced to start.

...I'd actually have preferred Vinny at the helm.

The Tampa connection is another evidence of the snyderism/idiocy going on, repeating the same mistakes and expecting a different result.  I'm afraid we will be left with only one choice to make between Morris and Barry. Missing Vinnie is the undeniable proof that we've reached epic rock bottom. ;)

Archived