Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Who are legitimate options to replace Haslett as DC?

HtownRocks111

Guess this means Joe Barry is back to being our #1 option? :(

If that's the case .. maybe we should just swallow pride and beg Hazmat to come back.

Yeah. I said it! And I hate myself for it.

Can't blame Fabio though. Why would he want to come here for a year under a HC that seems pretty clueless and odds are won't make it past 2015. Would he be jettisoned on the scrap heap too? Fox will bring instant stability to DuhBearss.

Makes you wonder that first Gus Bradley got a HCing job, now Quinn is all but in with the Fslcons.

So how does everyone's seemingly favorite Darrell Bevell not get a gig? Dies he not interview well or is he just not the right fit for those particular teams he's interviewed with? Strange.

I honestly forgot about Bevell with all of the hype about Quinn. Thing is .. I'm a Gator lifer. I remember Quinn. He wasn't that great. But he sure seems to be the belle of the ball now.

Not sure why Kotwicka gets a bad rap after 1 year.  The STs were truly bottom of the barrel the year before. I would grade them under Danny Smith as a D-, under Keith Burns an F- and under Kotwicka, he turned them into a C-.

It's going to take some time for him to turn around bad habits, but despite what you saw this year, I think it was an improvement.  We had a punt and XP blocked in the first game.  None, the rest of the way.  Seemed like when he took Golston out, the blocking improved.

We did have a punt and kickoff returned for TDs, but the PRer was Taveon Auston, who is no slouch and has returned them for TDs before. I thought overall the coverage units had improved, but YES there is still work to do.

I thought we improved with regards to penalties.  Again, still have some problems, but they looked more competent.  Combine it with Tress Way have an All-Pro year and Kai kicking for a good percentage and getting better on his kickoffs, I think STs is trending up. 

Give the guy a chance. Unlike Burns, who basically didn't give a **** (he got into a fight with one of our players in practice) and was just collecting a paycheck courtesy of Shanahan, I like what Ben brings, along with Brad Banta (Asst. STs coach) who stayed in the league for many years for his STs play.

Makes you wonder that first Gus Bradley got a HCing job, now Quinn is all but in with the Falcons.

So how does everyone's seemingly favorite Darrell Bevell not get a gig? Does he not interview well or is he just not the right fit for those particular teams he's interviewed with? Strange.

Having been recruited and coached by Gus, I can tell you that man can get almost anyone to run through a brick wall, and his energy is contagious. 

Let me ask you all this question...

I wanted Wade Phillips, but I got the thinking, are we in win now mode or are we still building? Obviously, any team has a chance to win the Super Bowl any year, but let's be realistic, we are a ways away.

So I rather hire somebody that's a little younger that can actually grow with the team. That's kind of why I didn't really want Vic. I don't really want Barry either, but I honestly don't think it'll be the worst thing ever.

Is grow with the team code for not being a good coordinator now but maybe hopefully will be some day?  You didnt like Vic because  he was too old, wise, successful, had already DONE the growing and was now just the coach you wanted him to eventually be?  That makes little sense to me, as by that reasoning then at the point Joe Barry becomes good, and finally grows with the team and has a good defense you wont want him anymore?

Is grow with the team code for not being a good coordinator now but maybe hopefully will be some day?  You didnt like Vic because  he was too old, wise, successful, had already DONE the growing and was now just the coach you wanted him to eventually be?  That makes little sense to me, as by that reasoning then at the point Joe Barry becomes good, and finally grows with the team and has a good defense you wont want him anymore?

You're putting words in my mouth...

I didn't want Vic because I feared that he has a resume good enough to become a head coach after one year. Then we'll be looking for another DC again. I favored Wade over Vic because Wade is a pure DC. No team will be banging on his door for another head coaching job if he performed well here.

Yes, Barry can become good, but it's going to take a couple of seasons for him to build up to become a HC candidate. So the defense will actually be able develop some continuity with him. Hopefully he can call plays though. Haslett was here five years, but if you can't call plays, you just can't call plays. 

But my point still stands, I want Wade. I kind of didn't want Vic, and don't want Barry at all. But if Barry is the option, hopefully he does develop himself into a HC candidate. That means the defense will be performing well.

Reports are saying that Fangio turned down the chance to make him the highest paid DC in the league with Washington to go work with someone he has never worked with before and who is a defensive coach himself in Chicago. I think that says it all on what Fangio thinks of Jay Gruden and the Redskins organization. He is probably correct too.

Archived