Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Who are legitimate options to replace Haslett as DC?

HtownRocks111

While I am disappointed as I had hoped for Fangio personally, I am not convinced there's a huge difference between Fangio and other options. Fangio is definitely the name guy. But he also has been a coordinator three times prior to San Fran without a ton of success. And yeah, some of that was with expansion teams. But it's not like he turned every defense into studs.

The problem with Barry is he is a risk. The brief evidence on him shows really bad results. With the huge caveat being the team he coached really sucked. Jim Schwartz took over for Barry and also finished dead last in his first season too. So the best thing/most optimistic thing I can say is that the results he had with the Lions probably doesn't tell much about him. But it also doesn't state he's any good either. That remains a huge unknown.

Feels like that gameshow the Price Is Right - Wade Phillips... Come on down

I'm smelling Wade will be going to the Broncos... He was Kubiak's DC in Houston.

And again like previous poster has said, it's do or die season for Jay Gruden. I don't even blame Vic Fangio for picking the bears, besides being close to his family theres no job security here.

So what if he "could" become the head coach... look at how that turned out for Gregg Williams? I mean they gave the job to Jim Zorn instead of Gregg Williams.

I wish they would just let Scot McCloughan blow it up now, bring in Bevell and whole new staff... vs waiting another year...

I'm smelling Wade will be going to the Broncos... He was Kubiak's DC in Houston.

And again like previous poster has said, it's do or die season for Jay Gruden. I don't even blame Vic Fangio for picking the bears, besides being close to his family theres no job security here.

So what if he "could" become the head coach... look at how that turned out for Gregg Williams? I mean they gave the job to Jim Zorn instead of Gregg Williams.

I wish they would just let Scot McCloughan blow it up now, bring in Bevell and whole new staff... vs waiting another year...

I agree. I doubt Fangio would get the job if Gruden got hired and he was DC. How often does that ever happen? When teams fire head coaches, they generally clean house. If a guy retires or voluntarily leaves, maybe you promote from within. But when a guy is terminated for poor performance, they don't promote assistants. The only exception I can think of is with Harbaugh and San Fran this year. But Harbaugh wasn't terminated for poor performance.

I agree, and he has an experienced man in John Fox as the HC. Being under Gruden was probably too much for him and he chose the better HC.

Feels like that gameshow the Price Is Right - Wade Phillips... Come on down

I can appreciate being thorough in the search, and maybe it's just me but I don't get the vibe they're all that enthused about Wade. Just perception, but at best, he's the 3rd choice. They seemed poised to take Barry, then stopped the presses when Fangio became available. If they continue to hem and has, Wade aint getting this job.

Of course, that's assuming Wade didnt interview and get a close look and decide he wanted no parts of this freak show.

Guess this means they're going with the "energetic" guy.  Another one of those...sigh.

This is really frustrating.  We have seen little to no progression from our young players.  In certain cases, we've seen severe regression.  We NEED a teacher on defense.  An x's and o's guy with a reputation for developing players.  Not another "he's really energetic" coach, because we already have that Morris.  

Right now, Wade makes the most sense.  Barry....makes little sense.  

Let me ask you all this question...

I wanted Wade Phillips, but I got the thinking, are we in win now mode or are we still building? Obviously, any team has a chance to win the Super Bowl any year, but let's be realistic, we are a ways away.

So I rather hire somebody that's a little younger that can actually grow with the team. That's kind of why I didn't really want Vic. I don't really want Barry either, but I honestly don't think it'll be the worst thing ever.

I wanted Wade Phillips, but I got the thinking, are we in win now mode or are we still building? Obviously, any team has a chance to win the Super Bowl any year, but let's be realistic, we are a ways away.

So I rather hire somebody that's a little younger that can actually grow with the team. That's kind of why I didn't really want Vic. I don't really want Barry either, but I honestly don't think it'll be the worst thing ever.

Admittedly, I'm not the best resource or most qualified opinion on this matter, but here's how I look at it:

Scot says the team isn't as bad as we think, so maybe it's not a full rebuild.  Also, when hiring coordinators, I would love to just get the best guy for the job and forget about age, trajectory, etc.  Good teams get their coordinators poached all the time so no matter who has the job, if he's good, he won't be there long.

Edit:  In fact, an advanced age might be beneficial.  Look how long the Steelers got to hold onto LeBeau.

Growing with a team is a 2-3 year proposition. This isnt the old days where Richie Petibon would hang out as DC for 10-12 years. I mentioned this the other day, if you're a coordinator with any promise, you're looking to parlay that into an HC gig, be it in the pros or on the college level. If a younger DC came in here and turned this dumpster fire of a defense around, he'd be a hot coaching candidate and be gone within 3 years. Wade's got that in him.

Makes you wonder that first Gus Bradley got a HCing job, now Quinn is all but in with the Falcons.

So how does everyone's seemingly favorite Darrell Bevell not get a gig? Does he not interview well or is he just not the right fit for those particular teams he's interviewed with? Strange.

Archived