Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Who are legitimate options to replace Haslett as DC?

HtownRocks111

Unfortinately, that lead-off sentence pretty much renders the rest of your post irrelevant lol...

Oh ok ... thanks for the insight guy who gets all his info. from this message board. 

Got news for you ... this message board and twitter put out the exact same info. Aside from irrelevant fan speculation that means nothing, this board offers nothing different. 

What we do know is that in general, Snyder has actually been very loyal to his head coaches. Since Marty, his coaches have either resigned on their own, or it was very obvious that it was time for a change. To be honest, things would need to be a real disaster for Gruden to be fired after next season.

how do people not understand this?

how do people not understand this?

As to Jason's post you responded to, just how much more of a 'real disaster' than the complete and utter disgrace that was 2014 in most ALL facets, on AND off the field, do people think it needs to sink to before Gruden is gone?

ANYTHING remotely mirroring this past, calamitous year and Mac will be flexing the full power under his remit. And I have little doubt that comes with the FULL backing of the owner. 

He's a dead man walking on a 1 year leash until he starts to prove otherwise. 

Hail. 

If we hire Fangio, I will refrain from bashing Gruden for the rest of the off-season

Dude, I would become concerned for your blood pressure if you try that BIG a shift, but love that you're the kind of mensch that has very strong emotions and opinions, yet remains open to moderation (no pun intended) and balance.  :P   :)

If we hire Fangio, I will refrain from bashing Gruden for the rest of the off-season

With the firing of Hasshole, followed by the one change the owner had to that point been so reticent to do, and the hiring of arguably the single best talent evaluator out there to fill that position already done deals; if we then went and added a stellar defensive mind with a wealth of experience like Fangio this would be the single best offseason in living memory. Regardless of anything else we did. 

Hail. 

With the firing of Hasshole, followed by the one change the owner had to that point been so reticent to do, and the hiring of arguably the single best talent evaluator out there to fill that position already done deals; if we then went and added a stellar defensive mind with a wealth of experience like Fangio this would be the single best offseason in living memory. Regardless of anything else we did. 

Hail. 

agree

I keep hearing about how Fangio had all this talent with the 49ers....yea, but most of his top starters were out this year and they still had a good defense.    I remember how some of us wanted the Skins to draft Chris Borland, but were told that he wouldn't fit in a 3-4 defense.....that's probably true with Haslett coaching him, but Borland was very good under Fangio.

Dude, I would become concerned for your blood pressure if you try that BIG a shift, but love that you're the kind of mensch that has very strong emotions and opinions, yet remains open to moderation (no pun intended) and balance.  :P   :)

It's not going to be easy...especially if RG3 gets traded.....to be honest, if Gruden got fired today, I'd be thrilled....I'm resigned to the fact he'll be here this year; therefore we need to surround him with the best coaching and personnel department we possibly can.....that means Fangio or Wade Phillips....not Joe Barry.

Hail. 

The simple hiring of Scot already put it way up there, easily top 4 for Snyder's era (outside of Marty, Gibbs, and Shanny hirings).

Then simply adding Callahan probably bumps it further.

If we managed to add Fangio, definitely the best offseason in Snyder's time here.

Donatell taking over for Raheem (I dunno what the deal is with Morris and Baltimore, some tweets flying about on that...) would be some really awesome icing on the cake.

We're approaching Victoria's Cakery level of sweet.

Hail. 

Fangio could be the heir apparent HC if Gruden is fired after 2015.

not trying to rain on anybody's parade but has anybody looked at fangio's rankings?

carolina 1995-1998 (7-10-15-30) regressed every year

indy 1999-2001 (15-21-29) regressed every year

houston 2002-2005 (16-31-23-31) just a bad team overall

sf 2011-2014 (4-3-5-5)

did he just finally get on a team with good players?  those rankings dont look that good to me.

edit: in some of his years away he was asst defensive coach on the ravens under DC rex ryan.. maybe he learned a thing or 2 from rex? i dunno.

Fanigo ...49ers top 5 defense in league for several years..we need to get this guy..I know it will be harder here because of less talent on the roster but if it can be a top 15 to 10 defense his first year then that would be a huge improvement over Hasslet..when scot gets him the correct talent on the roster its going be sweet having an elite defense again..make it happen Dan Snyder! !

<edit>

It's not going to be easy...especially if RG3 gets traded.....to be honest, if Gruden got fired today, I'd be thrilled....I'm resigned to the fact he'll be here this year; therefore we need to surround him with the best coaching and personnel department we possibly can.....that means Fangio or Wade Phillips....not Joe Barry.

If it helps, and I know it would be a huge stretch to accept, (I wouldn't even try it on GHH), consider the REALITY that there are a lot of intelligent football people, here and "out there", who feel the same way about RG3, for instance, with an equitable supply of arguments leading them to the exact same "feelings."  These folks are similarly "stuck."

Sometimes seeing the aspects of sameness between one's self and one's avowed adversaries can help regulate reaction, not in some phony or superficial manner, but in a manner truly reflecting critical thinking taking precedence over the amygdala. :D

Not that we, as football fans want to get carried away with that kind of crap too much.  :lol:

not trying to rain on anybody's parade but has anybody looked at fangio's rankings?

sf 2011-2014 (4-3-5-5)

did he just finally get on a team with good players?  those rankings dont look that good to me.

edit: in some of his years away he was asst defensive coach on the ravens under DC rex ryan.. maybe he learned a thing or 2 from rex? i dunno.

To an extent, he probably finally did get on a team with good players. Both the Carolina and Houston jobs were with expansion teams. He was there from the inaugural season. So you know there wasn't a ton of talent (although Carolina did sign some good free agents). But when you're starting from scratch, there's probably not a ton or talent or depth. And I don't think Indy ever had a good defense during the Peyton years. San Fran has to be something quite different.

Damnit, GET IT DONE JAY. 

Hire Fangio. I want a nasty defense like the 49ers have had for years. 

POWER OLINE/RUNNING GAME + STINGY DEFENSE = SUPERBOWL VICTORY.

GOT DAMNIT WHY IS THIS SO HARD TO UNDERSTAND!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHGHGHGHGHGHGH 

/rage

sf 2011-2014 (4-3-5-5)

Well, I'm not saying you're wrong in that some of Fangio's past is suspect (then again, whose past isn't), but I think for context we should have points too.

Carolina

1995: Yards 7th, Points 8th

1996: Y 10th, P 2nd

1997: Y 15th, P 13th

1998: Y 30th, P 27th

Indy

1999: Y 15th, P 17th

2000: Y 21st, P 15th

2001: Y 29th, P 31st

Houston

2002: Y 16th, P 20th

2003: Y 31st, P 27th

2004: Y 23rd, P 15th

2005: Y 31st, P 32nd

San Fran

2011: Y 4th, P 2nd

2012: Y 3rd, P 2nd

2013: Y 5th, P 3rd

2014: Y 5th, P 10th

I don't think it changes too much from your analysis, but in a few years where his yards were poor his points weren't too terrible (2000, 2004).

It's also definitely worth noting that Fangio has pretty consistently been gifted expansion teams.  He was the first DC ever for Carolina, and again the first ever for Houston.  Expansion teams generally are expected to struggle for a few years as they build their roster.  Carolina had 6 first round picks while he was DC (3 in '95, their first year), of those 4 were offensive, 2 were defensive.

Similarly, in Houston, while they took a lot of defensive players in 2004 and 2005, they didn't draft defense prior to the 3rd round in either 2002 or 2003.

I think what we can say about him is that he's struggled on teams with limited resources, but when given a solid roster, he made it work very well.

The melding of "Scot" players and Fangio's mind seemed to work well in San Francisco, so I think we can be at least somewhat optimistic, PROVIDED of course, that we do actually land the guy.

Archived