Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Who are legitimate options to replace Haslett as DC?

HtownRocks111

But the argument might still stand because there are rumors Wade is asking for top dollar.

Any answer as to why he is could legitimately include the idea proposed by Thinking Skins here as the main one.

If those rumors really are true, it might not actually be as far-fetched as originally conceived.

I vividly remember Zorn's OC, Sherman Smith, saying something like "everyone said don't go there, these things will happen to you. I can't believe it all did happen".

I'll see if I can find the exact quote later.

As much as it may seem like the idea is an attempt at grasping at straws to excuse Allen and Gruden, there is something to it.

It's certainly an interesting thought and would insinuate, at the very least, some kind of rational thought process occurring with these otherwise ridiculous decisions.

We may never know, unfortunately.

I buy part of this -- got little doubt people wonder twice about taking a job here -- the franchise is almost as dysfunctional as the Raiders.   Having said that, its not easy to get a good defensive coordinators job and money talks.  If for example they seriously want a D coordinator and are willing to pay top dollar, I think they can get their man -- maybe not every candidate but with all the qualified candidates out there, I doubt they all would turn away.  Also, why waste your time with an interview if you aren't interested.

I heard on the radio today Fangio prepared hard last year for the HC interview and then wasn't told until the night before flying here that they hired Jay, apparently he and the 49ers weren't too happy about it.  If he still is interested -- be interesting. 

Holy crap, how do Allen and Co. NOT realize that after hitting a homerun with signing Scot as GM that hiring Fangio at DC would have EVERYONE of the fans on board and believing again?

Because we have been trying to explain this to you all along.  If Barry or Rah are selected, it's not Gruden making the decision, but you choose to turn a blind ear.

Because we have been trying to explain this to you all along. If Barry or Rah are selected, it's not Gruden making the decision, but you choose to turn a blind ear.

There's absolutely no evidence to support this assertion.

We know two things:

1. McCloughan wouldn't come here if he was going to be interfered with/not have full control.

2. McCloughan said this was 100% Gruden's decision.

Any other thought right now is simply the result of making **** up, until we have reason to believe otherwise.

Furthermore, Gruden already has connections of his own to these guys, so I don't even see a legitimate reason to be creating conspiracy theories. Add in the fact that hiring more qualified candidates than himself might go against his sense of self preservation and...it makes perfect sense why his top two candidates might be Raheem and Berry.

Because we have been trying to explain this to you all along.  If Barry or Rah are selected, it's not Gruden making the decision, but you choose to turn a blind ear.

So you already have dismissed the word of our GM huh to continue with the dysfunctional organisation rhetoric?

Nice to see something's never change. 

Hail. 

So you already have dismissed the word of our GM huh to continue with the dysfunctional organisation rhetoric?

Nice to see something's never change. 

Hail. 

When did I say GM?  Reading comprehension bruh.  BTW, watch how the team improves with having a GM pick the players even with the same coaching staff.  You will learn a little and stop with the 1000's of posts calling for YACC (Yet Another Coaching Change).

This defensive coordinator coaching choice has nothing to do with our new GM.  Is that more clear?

Gruden, given all that he went through last year, didn't wake up and say oh lets hire Barry or Rah.  If either of those hires are made, there is more to the story.

Now go on and make another 1000 posts about firing Gruden.  You might want to change your sig.

So you already have dismissed the word of our GM

Where did I dismiss anything our GM has said?  HUH?

The dysfunction continues but the team will improve as we finally hired a professional player picker.  Again, watch and enjoy.

If anyone besides Rah or Barry get picked, I will say the dysfunction has ended for now.

Where did I dismiss anything our GM has said?  HUH?

I'm not him lol...but you said this:

"Because we have been trying to explain this to you all along.  If Barry or Rah are selected, it's not Gruden making the decision, but you choose to turn a blind ear."

Our GM said only Gruden would be making the decision as to who the next DC would be, as he's the coach.

If you think that Barry or Morris being selected means Gruden is not the one deciding on the next DC, then yes, it means you're ignoring our new GM's words.

And what the hell is a blind ear?

Where did I dismiss anything our GM has said? HUH? ..... .

SERIOUSLY?

You're gonna'' bold faced scream THAT outright lie and in the next breath say that any hiring of either Barry or Morris has nothing to do with Gruden when our GM say's it's ALL on Gruden and his dicision? You're going round in that many circles you don't know what you're saying anymore.

But I think its best we both walk away before others are forced to step in. Come out to play again Chip this time next year when our record rivals this year and Grudens out on his ass with the rest of the staff and remind me again that he has no part to play in this ****.

Hail.

That's leaving them a lot of room :paranoid: There are JV High School coaches out there that once were ball boys at Tampa, you know.

(types response and then clicks the SnarkFilter)

"They would still have a better resume than Barry.."

"They couldn't be any worse than Haslett..."

SnarkFilter...ask for it by name.

Our GM said only Gruden would be making the decision as to who the next DC would be, as he's the coach.

I  guess I missed the presser where Scot dictated that Gruden and only Gruden would be allowed in the decision making process for a D Coord.  :rolleyes:

My point being in the post is if it were left up to Gruden and solely Gruden without any outside influences, I don't believe Barry or Rah would be the choice.

If either one of them are chosen, their are dysfunctional forces at play.  There are talented resources available and we are bypassing them all because Grudens and idiot?  Yeah ok.

But I think its best we both walk away before others are forced to step in. Come out to play again Chip this time next year when our record rivals this year and Grudens out on his ass with the rest of the staff and remind me again that he has no part to play in this ****.

I was right before with our discussions regarding Shanny, I will be proven correct again.

Now lets hear it for the dark horse announcement by the end of the week.

I  guess I missed the presser where Scot dictated that Gruden and only Gruden would be allowed in the decision making process for a D Coord.  :rolleyes:

"McCloughan: Defensive coordinator hire up to Jay Gruden

Although Redskins general manager Scot McCloughan will oversee the construction of the 2015 Redskins’ roster, he said he does not intend to hire the team’s next defensive coordinator.

That responsibility, McCloughan said, belongs to Jay Gruden.

“It’s Jay’s call,” McCloughan said. “The head coach hires the coaches.”

Which signals another bit of change in protocol under McCloughan. He feels strongly that Gruden's staff decisions must be left up to Gruden, who has been interviewing candidates since parting ways with Jim Haslett on Dec. 31.

So far, Gruden has met with Chargers linebackers coach Joe Barry, 49ers defensive backs coach Ed Donatell and longtime NFL coach Wade Phillips.

“If [Gruden] needs a sounding board at all, I’ll be there,” McCloughan said. “But the head coach hires his coaches. They work for him.”

You're welcome...

Allen may be at play, who knows. But regardless, McCloughan is going to let Gruden get his guy. 1) He's the head coach and that responsibility should fall on him and 2) Why even sit in on the interviews? This isn't McCloughan's HC. If they succeed, Mac wins. If they don't succeed, Mac wins. May as well let Gruden do his thing.

If Allen is a part of it, then that's Allen's thing. This is HIS head coach and he probably wants to know what Gruden is planning/give his input.

You're welcome...

Perhaps you missed my point.

Allen may be at play, who knows. But regardless, McCloughan is going to let Gruden get his guy. 1) He's the head coach and that responsibility should fall on him and 2) Why even sit in on the interviews? This isn't McCloughan's HC. If they succeed, Mac wins. If they don't succeed, Mac wins. May as well let Gruden do his thing.

If Allen is a part of it, then that's Allen's thing. This is HIS head coach and he probably wants to know what Gruden is planning/give his input.

I agree.  Now lets see who the pick is, it might lend some credence to who actually ended up at play in the selection.

Perhaps you missed my point.

More likely you missed mine.

I think "having input" shouldn't be equated to "overriding your head coach and picking his defensive coordinator for him".

Not saying you're saying this, just that it's being put forth by others (and not just Chipwich, either...)

More likely you missed mine.

I think "having input" shouldn't be equated to "overriding your head coach and picking his defensive coordinator for him".

Not saying you're saying this, just that it's being put forth by others (and not just Chipwich, either...)

I don't know that it shouldn't be, either, given Allen's track record.

Having said that, I agree with your point as a whole.

But I also don't see why people don't think Barry wouldn't be at play if this were Gruden's call. Gruden is familiar with Barry. It's not just Allen with Tampa ties. I'm not sure why people think that a former Bucs hire is automatically Allen's doing when the head coach is also a former Tampa guy. *shrug*

Overriding your head coach is a strong word.  Just as what is being put forth by others, that Gruden is too stupid to pick any of the quality options at defensive coordinator.  With all the talent at that coaching position available is your implication that Gruden is an idiot and a dumb coach to not pick the best and brightest?  Are you on the Gruden has to pick someone cheap bandwagon because he gets fired next year?  Are you on the Gruden can't pick Wade bandwagon because he is too expensive?  Or you just saying after Gruden interviewed all the coaches, Barry and or Rah were clearly the best in breed?

If you think there is nothing at play but Gruden simply deciding, you might be a tad naive.

I don't know that it shouldn't be, either, given Allen's track record.

Having said that, I agree with your point as a whole.

But I also don't see why people don't think Barry wouldn't be at play if this were Gruden's call. Gruden is familiar with Barry. It's not just Allen with Tampa ties. I'm not sure why people think that a former Bucs hire is automatically Allen's doing when the head coach is also a former Tampa guy. *shrug*

There's far, FAR more at stake by doing so now, though...Allen wouldn't simply be overriding Gruden. He'd also be undermining his new GM's public statements a week into his tenure and in the eyes of the coaches.

As for Barry wouldn't even be a consideration if it's completely Gruden's call, don't forget who Zorn hand-picked for his offensive coordinator. Hint: it wasn't the "best available candidate". Like Zorn, Gruden may simply prefer guys he's familiar with surrounding him in key positions. I'm not sure if there is anything in Gruden's history that suggests that he always does a thorough search of a wide variety of candidates and tends to lean towards those with impressive work histories. Maybe instead we should be saying "Given Gruden's track record, wanting Barry as his DC shouldn't be so easily discounted."

In fact, it's just as plausible (far moreso in my opinion actually) that Allen is making Gruden still consider other candidates that are becoming available, which is why nothing has been announced yet about hiring Barry, than Allen overrode Gruden to insist Tampa Buddy Barry get the job.

There's far, FAR more at stake by doing so now, though...Allen wouldn't simply be overriding Gruden. He'd also be undermining his new GM's public statements a week into his tenure and in the eyes of the coaches.

As for Barry wouldn't even be a consideration if it's completely Gruden's call, don't forget who Zorn hand-picked for his offensive coordinator. Hint: it wasn't the "best available candidate". Like Zorn, Gruden may simply prefer guys he's familiar with surrounding him in key positions. I'm not sure if there is anything in Gruden's history that suggests that he always does a thorough search of a wide variety of candidates and tends to lean towards those with impressive work histories. Maybe instead we should be saying "Given Gruden's track record, wanting Barry as his DC shouldn't be so easily discounted."

In fact, it's just as plausible (far moreso in my opinion actually) that Allen is making Gruden still consider other candidates that are becoming available, which is why nothing has been announced yet about hiring Barry, than Allen overrode Gruden to insist Tampa Buddy Barry get the job.

I think I said all of that, though, did I not?

My point is, the two of you arguing about what guy is doing what is kind of pointless. We have no stinkin' idea. It could be either, neither or both. Who the heck knows?

All I know is that McCloughan isn't involved. I believe we also read that Allen is in the interviews (I may NOT have read that though, so correct me if I'm wrong. We also know Gruden is involved.

What roles each guy is playing we have no clue.

Archived