Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Who are legitimate options to replace Haslett as DC?

HtownRocks111

Fangio is in play!

Bio:

With a plethora of NFL coaching experience, Vic Fangio is in his fourth season as defensive coordinator of the San Francisco 49ers.

In Fangio’s first three seasons in San Francisco (2011-13), the 49ers are the only team to rank in the top five in the following nine categories: points allowed (16.1 points per game - 1st), rush defense (89.1 yards per game - 1st), rushing average (3.7 yards per carry - 1st), first downs allowed (835 - 1st), opposing quartback rating (76.0 rating - 2nd), yards allowed (306.5 yards per game - 3rd), 20-plus yard plays allowed (147 - 3rd), takeaways (93 - 5th) and third down defense (34.1 pct. - 5th).

Click below for more:

http://www.49ers.com/team/coaches/vic-fangio/4d4f63d7-8abb-4cc0-8efd-0184e6796eb4

HTTR!

I'm hoping someone has pulled the plug on Joe Barry ..Please ,,Please ..I would rather have Wade than 0-16 Joe Barry ..this is why you don't let your head coaches just pick anyone. We need a real defensive mind for the defensive coordinator spot not more trash like haslett.

Not only was he DC for the worst team in history, but the Lions ran a 4-3 under him. I know the chargers run the 3-4, but I really think the team needs someone with more knowledge of the 3-4. This defense has never been built to run the 3-4. only bits and peices are in place. I personally would like to see the skins go back to a 4-3 defense. Hopefully it will happen.

That seems pretty clear to me as well.  I'm actually floored that Gruden, coming off a 4-12 first season as a first time head coach, went this route.  He doesn't have the luxury of swinging and missing on a DC twice. 

Well, this is a situation in which Gruden might have his hands tied. The front office can't tell him who to play (once the roster is set) or who to hire (if they've given him authority to hire a DC). But the one thing Snyder CAN do is give him a budget. He can be given full autonomy to hire a staff, not to exceed $X million dollars in salary. 

So, it could be that Gruden would love to have the 85 Bears or 13 Seahawks so that he can win a division next year, but I'm sure he's been given SOME sort of financial constraints (especially if Snyder is hedging a bit and might clear out the entire staff in 11 months). 

I can't believe I'm going to type this, but I really enjoyed listening to the drive today with Coach Gary. Czabe posed the question that suppose working here just isn't desirable. We remember the Zorn hire where we were left choosing between Zorn and Fassell. But Spags also turned us down (reportedly) and then the story comes out that we never offered him the job. 

I'm starting to wonder if the cronyism is really just Bruce saying, "hey can you do me a favor and work here cause NOBODY wants this job". I remember talking about the need to give coaches 3 years for them to want to work here, but if we have a crazy owner, or the rep of a crazy owner, then it can make it impossible to get qualified candidates. Look at Oakland in Al Davis's last years up til now (basically post-Bruce Allen). Nobody wanted to work there, but it was mainly because they knew they'd be fired after 1.5 seasons. Here its probably different, but i wonder if coaches talk to one another and are saying to stay away from this place. 

If that's the case then things are worse than I thought. But surprisingly, that makes me feel better about the front office as it may be that we're actually doing a legit search but can't get the guys we want. 

I'm starting to wonder if the cronyism is really just Bruce saying, "hey can you do me a favor and work here cause NOBODY wants this job". I remember talking about the need to give coaches 3 years for them to want to work here, but if we have a crazy owner, or the rep of a crazy owner, then it can make it impossible to get qualified candidates. Look at Oakland in Al Davis's last years up til now (basically post-Bruce Allen). Nobody wanted to work there, but it was mainly because they knew they'd be fired after 1.5 seasons. Here its probably different, but i wonder if coaches talk to one another and are saying to stay away from this place. 

It's an interesting and depressing thought, but if it's so then I really think this might be the revenge of Shanny.  Lord knows the Redskins have gotten lots of top bill coaches to play for them.  Gibbs, Marty, Spurrier, and Shanny were all top names before they got here.  Even Spurrier, who was a name everyone in football knew.  Shanny burned bridges and seems pretty spiteful. He's also very connected and respected (I think) in the old boy's network.  I wonder if he's been playing Wormtongue.

If that's the case then things are worse than I thought. But surprisingly, that makes me feel better about the front office as it may be that we're actually doing a legit search but can't get the guys we want. 

I can see that in some circles, but I don't think Wade Phillips would be like that.

Sure, he'd probably want something more than Barry or Raheem in terms of a deal, but Wade has been attending our games, and since he interviewed, I have to imagine he's at least a little interested (unless TK or somebody has more inside info.).

I would not be surprised if in some coaching circles we're a no-no, but I don't think that's true for everyone in our search radius.

for the last 2 hours there's been talk about us possibly going after fangio since he was just let go by the 49ers. apparently the hiring of joe barry isnt so official at the moment

Fangio, I believe was the 1st name to surface as DC we wanted to interview.  I am paralleling this situation to DeSean Jackson.  Watch Bruce make an all out effort to bring him to DC as DC.

Fangio article

http://mmqb.si.com/2014/01/17/vic-fangio-san-francisco-49ers-defensive-coordinator/

The year before his arrival, the defense ranked 16th in points and 13th in yards allowed. In his three years on the job, the unit has never finished worse than third in points or fifth in yards. His team has gone to three straight conference championship games. This coach has an even more expansive résumé, having been in the NFL for 26 years, 14 of them as a defensive coordinator.

So why is that 49ers defensive coordinator Vic Fangio toils in anonymity while less-experienced coordinators such as the Seahawks’ Dan Quinn and the Jaguars’ Gus Bradley (Jaguars) have a dance card full of head coaching interviews, and even offers? So far, the only interest Fangio has drawn was from the Redskins, who ultimately hired Jay Gruden as their head coach.

“You wonder sometimes why it’s taken maybe this long,” 49ers coach Jim Harbaugh said, speaking generally about all of his assistants, though he might as well have been referring to Fangio specifically.

Despite Fangio’s having almost total autonomy over the defense—Harbaugh is a former NFL quarterback—he remains off teams’ radar. Some of it probably has to do with the low-key manner in which he conducts himself. “He’s a real quiet guy,’’ said inside linebacker Patrick Willis. “He just says what needs to be said, and not too much more. He keeps it simple and puts us in great position.’’

That tactical acumen was on display in the 49ers’ 23-10 divisional win over the Panthers. Carolina had two critical drives halted at San Francisco’s 1-yard line in the second quarter. On the first play of the quarter, quarterback Cam Newton tried a sneak on 4th-and-goal and was stopped by Ahmad Brooks. Later, fullback Mike Tolbert was tackled by linebacker NaVorro Bowman for a one-yard loss, and Carolina had to settle for a field goal.

“I think he’s one of the all-time best defensive coordinators in the history of the league. I think that’s who he is. I think that’s what his legacy will be someday.’’ —Jim Harbaugh

The key to those stops was Fangio, who installed unscouted looks (plays the opponent hadn’t seen on film all season) in preparation for the game. Instead of going to their normal 6-2 alignment on the goal line, the 49ers switched to a 5-3 that moved Brooks from outside to inside linebacker.

“For the years we’ve been here we’ve never shown a 5-3 look,” said Harbaugh, who took over the 49ers in 2011. “I thought it was a great move by Vic Fangio. We talked about it during the week … that planning, that preparation by our players, especially by Vic Fangio and the defensive coaches was profound.”

Fangio’s meticulous nature is well known by the 49ers’ players. Bowman lauded his influence as the linebacker was being mentioned as an NFL Defensive Player of the Year candidate.

“I think I understand him pretty well,” Bowman said. “Just his terminology, what he’s thinking when we are leading up to games … and I think it’s made me better.”

Fangio’s history in the game has been diversified, but this is the first time in the NFL that he’s run his own scheme. He entered professional football under Jim Mora Sr. in the USFL, and then with the Saints alongside Dom Capers. Now the Packers defensive coordinator, Capers had called on Fangio to be his coordinator when starting expansion franchises in Carolina and Houston.

Fangio was Mora’s coordinator with the Colts from 1999-2001, but their talent was not very good. Mora felt so strongly about Fangio’s job performance that Mora refused general manager Bill Polian’s advice to fire him, so the entire coaching staff was shown the door. Fangio eventually landed with the Ravens’ standout defense as an assistant coach directing Harbaugh’s defenses at Stanford and with the 49ers.

“I think he’s one of the all-time best defensive coordinators in the history of the league,’’ Harbaugh said upon arriving San Francisco. “I think that’s who he is. I think that’s what his legacy will be someday.’’

So far he’s shown that with the 49ers. You wonder when others will finally notice and give Fangio his deserved chance to be a head coach.

I can see that in some circles, but I don't think Wade Phillips would be like that.

Sure, he'd probably want something more than Barry or Raheem in terms of a deal, but Wade has been attending our games, and since he interviewed, I have to imagine he's at least a little interested (unless TK or somebody has more inside info.).

I would not be surprised if in some coaching circles we're a no-no, but I don't think that's true for everyone in our search radius.

But the argument might still stand because there are rumors Wade is asking for top dollar.

Any answer as to why he is could legitimately include the idea proposed by Thinking Skins here as the main one.

If those rumors really are true, it might not actually be as far-fetched as originally conceived.

I vividly remember Zorn's OC, Sherman Smith, saying something like "everyone said don't go there, these things will happen to you. I can't believe it all did happen".

I'll see if I can find the exact quote later.

As much as it may seem like the idea is an attempt at grasping at straws to excuse Allen and Gruden, there is something to it.

It's certainly an interesting thought and would insinuate, at the very least, some kind of rational thought process occurring with these otherwise ridiculous decisions.

We may never know, unfortunately.

Well, this is a situation in which Gruden might have his hands tied. The front office can't tell him who to play (once the roster is set) or who to hire (if they've given him authority to hire a DC). But the one thing Snyder CAN do is give him a budget. He can be given full autonomy to hire a staff, not to exceed $X million dollars in salary. 

So, it could be that Gruden would love to have the 85 Bears or 13 Seahawks so that he can win a division next year, but I'm sure he's been given SOME sort of financial constraints (especially if Snyder is hedging a bit and might clear out the entire staff in 11 months). 

For the latter reason, IF they hire this Barry dude who has a track record of being worse than Hazmat, they better not sign him to more than a ONE year contract!

Still, I'll be madder than hell about even a one year contract! Hell .. re-hire Hazmat for a year if we are going to hire someone WORSE!

It's an interesting and depressing thought, but if it's so then I really think this might be the revenge of Shanny. Lord knows the Redskins have gotten lots of top bill coaches to play for them. Gibbs, Marty, Spurrier, and Shanny were all top names before they got here. Even Spurrier, who was a name everyone in football knew. Shanny burned bridges and seems pretty spiteful. He's also very connected and respected (I think) in the old boy's network. I wonder if he's been playing Wormtongue.

Those guys were all early in the tenure. But i really wonder what Spurrier, Gibbs and Marty said about Snyder in private quarters, off the mic. How meddlesome was he? And how annoying was it to coaches? Have we been blacklisted? Did coaches protest to the Haynesworth deal? The Lloyd/ARE deals? The three draft picks? I think that everything since Zorn has been really minor in terms of Snyder's supposed actions. The three things were the McNabb trade and extension, the Brown trade, and the Griffin trade. But the idea that he could give it all up to Shanny, which he had done ten years ago only to fire Marty, kinda means he had changed some, right?

I'm really buying into this train of thought that our team is in much MUCH worse case that any of us know. People say "there are only 32 jobs like this" but that doesn't really matter. There are only a few ivy league schools, but there are still some where i wouldn't work. Saying that kinda means that the employer/environment doesn't matter because of limited supply, but new jobs become available every year, so come here to get fired in 2 years when you can wait and possible go somewhere more stable, especially if you're a top candidate.

I defended Haslett dieting the early parts of the year because his defense was highly ranked, but now I'll defend it because maybe they knew they couldn't get anybody else. I really wonder what Marvin Lewis said about this place. Did he recommend it to Gruden, or was it all Allen?

And more, i wonder if the 6+ hour interviews are to convince the coaches that this is a good place to work, so it's not so much Snyder interviewing them, but telling them that he'll be a good boy.

Things that make toy go hmmm

Holy crap, how do Allen and Co. NOT realize that after hitting a homerun with signing Scot as GM that hiring Fangio at DC would have EVERYONE of the fans on board and believing again?

How does Gruden not realize that Fangio makes his job ridiculously easy? We win games, they won't fire him in favor of Fangio. But if he hires a crap DC for fear of his job then all he'll be doing is guaranteeing he loses his job. Self-fulfilling prophecy.

It's real simple. They hired Scot, now hire Fangio, and you've already won. Everyone will believe again. This team WILL be good again. Jay can get enough out of offense for them to put up decent points, Fangio can keep the opponent down, we're a very strong playoff contender starting right away.

Hire Barry and the team blows and we all play the waiting game on Gruden being fired. If he is indeed advocating for Barry over Fangio and Wade and Schwartz and sticks to that, I'd honestly consider firing Gruden because clearly if he's saying all that then his priorities aren't with winning.

He was just suggesting whether we are smart enough to make this move. We haven't hired anyone. I hope we hear news that we will at least interview Fangio before we fully commit to the Tampa family reunion. If they somehow land him most of this current defensive staff if history. Barry at this point would not be a ideal choice. I could see if the Chargers were ranked in the top 5 defensively and their LB's had 50 sacks but not the case and Barry's hiring is not warranted. Also, the Tampa 2 takes at least 2 years to have players really execute it at a high level.

Archived