Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Who are legitimate options to replace Haslett as DC?

HtownRocks111

Give me a break with the candidates we interviewed and we hire this guy???? Wow I am becoming more and more anti-Gruden with him hiring his Tampa Bay retreads, now bring in Joe Barry as our D coordinator when we could have hired Phillips who at least has a reputable track record. We get the architect of the Lions 0-16 defense. Great hire, where was our savior Scot Mc when this decison was made? Our head coach has a lot to learn....

They had a terrible team altogether. Who knows what will happen

Just when you think their doing something right, they pull this. I have no hope until snyder is gone.

Snyder hired Allen who hired Gruden. I dont think you can blame Snyder for everything, even though it is his juke joint.

Sounds like this to me...

Person A: It's raining outside

Person B: Damned Snyders fault

4/12 to 0/16? Who is the QB we are tanking for next year? :)

I jest...

Look, here's reality:

You can't hold Barry 100% accountable for the 0-16 Lions defenses. Their team was horrendously mismanaged and spent so many draft choices on WR (where the guy they picked, in my opinion, was CERTAINLY not the BPA) that they left the rest of their roster talent deprived. The talent was poor on those units.

Here was their unit:

DE Jared DeVries

DT Chartric Darby

DT Cory Redding

DE Dewayne White

LB Ryan Nece

LB Paris Lenon

LB Ernie Sims

CB Brian Kelly

CB Leigh Bodden

SS Daniel Bullocks

FS Kalvin Pearson

That makes our 2014 defense look like an All-Pro squad side from MAYBE Redding, Sims and Bodden. But I think I'm being nice there.

I don't like the hire. Especially with names that were available. But, there is something to be said about the past.

2009 roster wasn't much better...But it was ENTIRELY different. ELEVEN different starters.

DE Jason Hunter

DT Grady Jackson

DT Sammie Lee Hill

DE Cliff Avril

LB Julian Peterson

LB Larry Foote

LB DeAndre Levy

CB Will Peterson

CB Phillip Buchanon

SS Marvin White

FS Louis Delmas

Peterson at the time was a hot commodity, Foote is a solid backer and Louis Delmas is okay? Again, I think I'm being nice. But Delmas was a rookie...

Not sure if anyone could do a heck of a lot with that.

Nice work. I agree with your point as well that it is kind of silly to totally write the guy off based only on his 2 year stint as DC; especially given the talent level you just highlighted. Yes, he's got the Tampa connection thing going. However, that's going pretty far back and he's spent the previous 4 seasons as the LB coach for the Chargers where the D's have been ranked in the top 10 each of the past 3 seasons and was the LB coach for USC prior to that. The Tampa ties are pretty far removed as this point with experience at three different organizations so I'm not sure the nepotism charge is that strong. From the limited video I've been able to drum up, he seems like a good communicator and someone who relates well to players (I think I read he is 44 so not too old). I don't know if it will work or not, but Jay needs a coach that he can trust and who can keep the locker room in order while the HC tends to HC responsibilities. As much as I like Wade, I never sensed he was that guy. This could totally flop, but I'm open minded and willing to see how it plays out.

This means that Raheem Morris is a lock to keep his spot as position coach as well. 

After 35 years of being a Redskins fan, it may be time to turn in my fan card.  This is like a toxic relationship....you know someone is so dysfunctional that they will only bring you stress and pain, but you keep going back for more until you finally hit rock bottom, give up hope that they will improve, and say "enough".

I'm not going to attend any games or watch any on television, buy any Redskins merchandise, or emotionally invest in this team in any way until anyone with ANY ties to Tampa Bay are dismissed from the team.

Bruce Allen is a failure.  I only hope that Snyder realizes that sooner rather than later.

This could totally flop, but I'm open minded and willing to see how it plays out.

I'm not open minded about it. But I'm not going to sit here and cry, either. I think this is a one year lease. But downing the guy totally doesn't make sense, either.

Good job. keep looking for Gibbs connections. Here's a hint. EVERYBODY is like some successful coach. But last time a DC had the 32nd best unit in pro football 2 years in a row got another job as a DC....oh wait, I don't think there is a last time because this is a Skins type mistake.

Do you remember George Edwards?  Was our DC in 2003.  Basement ranked defense and fired when Gibbs came in.  Well, he later went on to be DC of Buffalo and is now the DC of Minnesota. People do get second chances.

To be honest, I'm not sure how much you can penalize a guy on a Matt Millen-run team.  He was the definition of an awful GM.

I am pushing all in that we will run the Tampa 2.

Of course, Vegas has it paying zilch, for years now. 

Just like it paid zilch that we would hire a former Tampa coach.

We got our guy.

No, you got your old buddy that no one else wanted.

GMSM must be face palming already, trying to figure out how to get rid of Allen.

Do you remember George Edwards?  Was our DC in 2003.  Basement ranked defense and fired when Gibbs came in.  Well, he later went on to be DC of Buffalo and is now the DC of Minnesota. People do get second chances.

To be honest, I'm not sure how much you can penalize a guy on a Matt Millen-run team.  He was the definition of an awful GM.

Sorry I only give so much rope. Maybe Matt Millen could explain him finishing in the bottom third of the league, but dead last. Nah, not buying it. Especially when they had a decent defense the year before and the year after.

On the other hand, some coaches have shown that they can be dealt a lousy hand and make lemonade. Others have shown that when dealt a lousy hand they make it worse.

Haslett was the latter type of DC.  First glimpse of Barry doesn't suggest he was able to produce much smoke and mirrors to help his players.

I'm not open minded about it. But I'm not going to sit here and cry, either. I think this is a one year lease. But downing the guy totally doesn't make sense, either.

You may very well be right about the one year lease thing. Jay and Barry better get this team overachieving next season and quick. One thing I take from this is either (1) the guy really was impressive in the interview process and they were blown away (which doesn't matter bc Bruce and Co. are idiots) or (2) they were set on getting somebody on the cheap end of the DC pay scale. Wade and some of the other names thrown out were going to cost some coin.

http://www.boltsfromtheblue.com/2012/2/3/2769696/joe-barry-the-san-diego-chargers-new-linebackers-coach

All in all, this seems like a great get for the Chargers and Pagano (and Rich Bisaccia, who was on the same staff as Barry in TB). Outside of his brief stint as Defensive Coordinator, Barry has successfully coached up the LBs he's had. Hopefully this is another Rob Chudzinski-like hire.

On the other hand, some coaches have shown that they can be dealt a lousy hand and make lemonade. Others have shown that when dealt a lousy hand they make it worse.

Haslett was the latter type of DC.  First glimpse of Barry doesn't suggest he was able to produce much smoke and mirrors to help his players.

To be honest, we don't know jack about how he will do as a DC, which is certainly reason enough to be nervous about it.  Course, we don't know anything about how any coach will do until the team hits the field.  Certainly we have had our list of names that make people feel good in the offseason, but don't produce results.  We will see how this goes.

I wonder who will be out front at this press conference for this "big" announcement? This team is a joke and it is hard for me to belive after being a fan for over 40 years we are one of the worst franchises in football and I see nothing changing anytime soon.

Has there been any actual word on when this "Official announcement" is supposed to be made? So far I've seen it reported by CSN, along with the links posted in this thread. But nothing specific from the actual organization. Only, the whole, "We've been told...blah blah blah...".

Not saying I don't believe it. Just saying I refuse to react until the actual announcement is made.

Then again...Maybe the anger and depression just hasn't setlled in yet.

Has there been any actual word on when this "Official announcement" is supposed to be made? So far I've seen it reported by CSN, along with the links posted in this thread. But nothing specific from the actual organization. Only, the whole, "We've been told...blah blah blah...".

Not saying I don't believe it. Just saying I refuse to react until the actual announcement is made.

Our GM wasn't announced for a few days either.

I do remember once when Fassel was the guy and the uproar became so loud that the Redskins backed away. Mind you, they wound up with Zorn.  If Barry is the next Fassel. Who could Zorn be? Scary thought.

I can just see it now....

"In a shocking move the Redskins have brought Warren Sapp and Rhonde Barber out of retirement and signed them both to 5 year 45 million dollar deals. When asked about the move, the organization responded, TONIGHT, WE PARTY LIKE IT'S 2002!!"

"Hey, is it just me, or are these new renovations to Fedex making the stadium look a lot like a pirate ship?" - Everyone in two years

Archived