Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Who are legitimate options to replace Haslett as DC?

HtownRocks111

While he was defending Haslett he was always reporting he thought Haslett would get the ax.

That's true, I said days ago that I'd be stunned if Haz is kept.  One of the reasons was Russell kept suggesting he hears he will be gone.   Russell was also on the RG3-Jay friction dynamic before the WP and others were on it when it become obvious.

Russell has had some misses including the Bill Cowher thing but he's been on the money lately. 

Phillip Daniels brought up the idea that Fangio himself asked the 49ers to deny permission. That it's not the team saying no, but rather, Fangio not wanting to be interviewed by us.

I'm sincerely hoping it's the usual "he's being interviewed by 49ers and they want first crack at him" business, but since Daniels mentioned the (dire) possibility I figured it'd be worth mentioning.

. Or this. :)

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000136770/article/niners-block-new-orleans-saints-effort-to-interview-ed-donatell

The New Orleans Saints contacted the San Francisco 49ers in an attempt to interview secondary coach Ed Donatell for their vacant defensive coordinator position, according to a source with knowledge of theSaints' plans. However, Donatell is under contract with the 49ers, and the team made the decision not to permit the interview.

A person who has spoken with Donatell said while he'd like to be a coordinator eventually, he is "extremely happy" coaching on the 49ers' staff next season. He enjoys working under coordinator Vic Fangio and for coach Jim Harbaugh, so he holds no ill will toward the Niners. Donatell has lauded the 49ers' environment, and he hopes another year in the system will continue to make him a stronger candidate, the person said.

Donatell told Comcast SportsNet Bay Area last weekbefore the Super Bowl that he believes the system is fair. Donatell is a former Green Bay Packers and Atlanta Falcons defensive coordinator. He said he felt better equipped to run a defense now, even if he'll have to wait at least a year to do so.

"I'm far better than I ever was," Donatell told me during Super Bowl media day. Asked what kind of coach he would be as a coordinator, "I always think players and plays, so I'd have to examine the roster. I'm a 3-4 coach, but that doesn't mean you can't have 4-3 principles. I'd say I'm a melting pot of (49ers defensive coordinator) Vic Fangio and (Falcons defensive coordinator) Mike Nolan."

Fangio is interesting, but at the same time concerns me.  With San Francisco his defenses have been incredible, there is no doub.t However, he was a defensive coordinator for 3 teams, for 11 years prior, and none of them were good.  He didnt seem to show much improvement, until his 12th year, when he landed the SF job.  Then IMMEDIATELY the defense was tops his first year and has been since.  So is that a sign of "He finally got it", or the GM has been so good at getting defensive players?  I dont know...

Nice find skinsinparadise.

Reading that makes me like the thought of him coming over even more. He's a 3-4 guy but doesn't mind mixing it up. I feel he could have a good eye for players.

Another one

After spending the last two years as defensive backs coach for the San Francisco 49ersDonatell can give the Eagles exactly what they need.

Unlike many other available candidates, he has experience as a successful defensive coordinator in the NFL. He spent four seasons with the Green Bay Packers and three years with the Atlanta Falcons.

During these stints, he showed he can get his teams to improve in two necessary areas—takeaways and sacks...Donatell's squads were usually ranked in the top portion of the league in both of these categories. The 2004 Falcons led the entire NFL in sacks, while the 2002 Packers had the most takeaways.

Donatell has also shown his ability to get the most out of his players in his most recent position. No team in the NFL has allowed fewer points in the last two years, and the secondary is a major part of that.

He helped Carlos Rogers reach the Pro Bowl last season after struggling for six years with the Washington RedskinsDashon Goldson made his first two Pro Bowls as a former fourth-round pick. Donte Whitner also made his first Pro Bowl this year after six years in the NFL.

All of them would likely say that their coach has been a big part of that.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1495944-nfl-rumors-eagles-would-be-wise-to-hire-ed-donatell-as-defensive-coordinator

Fangio is interesting, but at the same time concerns me.  With San Francisco his defenses have been incredible, there is no doub.t However, he was a defensive coordinator for 3 teams, for 11 years prior, and none of them were good.  He didnt seem to show much improvement, until his 12th year, when he landed the SF job.  Then IMMEDIATELY the defense was tops his first year and has been since.  So is that a sign of "He finally got it", or the GM has been so good at getting defensive players?  I dont know...

He was the first DC for both the Panthers and Texans as expansion teams - he wasn't going to have a lights out defense.  Panthers did pretty well as I remember.

Between the Tampa ties and the years in Detroit, I think I'd rather have Raheem than Barry, as crazy as that sounds.

Though both are solidly #1 and #2 on the DO NOT WANT list, I think.

Donatell has grown on me over the past 2 hours.  It sounds like he's grown since joining the 49ers.  I'd be willing to give him another shot.

Right now my list is some combination of Phillips, Spanos, and Fangio (if we get a crack at him), then Donatell, and then bringing up the rear is Raheem and Barry.

The more I look at Donatell the more I like him. Seems like a good motivator and teacher and has been around some good players and organizations. I like Fangio, but I think he will get a HC gig or stay where he is at. I don't know much about Barry, just a little weary on the homer connection. Phillips is probably the safest short term pick.

I have to believe that Gruden understands the next year or two will most likely determine his coaching future. He fails here he probably doesn't get another chance. He has to pick the guy that he believes gives him the best chance to succeed.

I take some solice in the fact it's not Haslett.

Another one

After spending the last two years as defensive backs coach for the San Francisco 49ersDonatell can give the Eagles exactly what they need.

Unlike many other available candidates, he has experience as a successful defensive coordinator in the NFL. He spent four seasons with the Green Bay Packers and three years with the Atlanta Falcons.

During these stints, he showed he can get his teams to improve in two necessary areas—takeaways and sacks...Donatell's squads were usually ranked in the top portion of the league in both of these categories. The 2004 .....

Man, Donatell makes too much sense for us, actually. The personnel we've acquired since Mike arrived has essentially been all about takeaways and pass rush. Here's a guy proven he can maximize that. I bet he'd get, for instance, Amerson and Thomas to play to their abilities since that's what they were good at coming out of college.

He's too much of a fit for us to bring him in. I hope I'm wrong and Jay does the right thing if he truly is in charge of this hire like Allen made it seem.     

Wade Phillips is best canidate available this should be easy. Has fixed defenses at every single stop. Has a long string of top 10 defenses. His scheme being 1 gap attacking 34 fits this team. Even his coverages are very easy to execute being cover 4/8 quarters

Yeah I'm all for Donatell, the more I read about him the more it makes sense. He could probably coach up our defensive backfield or at least has the experience to know what works with our young secondary or who to get, and takeaways and sacks are just what our defense should be about. Of the guys most likely to say yes to the redskins DC job he's topping my list so far.

Wade Phillips is best canidate available this should be easy. Has fixed defenses at every single stop. Has a long string of top 10 defenses. His scheme being 1 gap attacking 34 fits this team. Even his coverages are very easy to execute being cover 4/8 quarters

Makes too much sense for it to happen

Defense Rankings:

Ed Donatell (Defensive Coordinator)

2000 Packers - 15th yards, 14th points
2001 Packers - 12th yards, 5th points
2002 Packers - 12th yards, 12th points
2003 Packers - 17th yards, 11th points
2004 Falcons - 14th yards, 14th points
2005 Falcons - 22nd yards, 18th points
2006 Falcons - 22nd yards, 15th points

Joe Barry (Defensive Coordinator)

2007 Lions - 32nd yards, 32nd points
2008 Lions - 32nd yards, 32nd points

Raheem Morris (Head Coach)

2009 Bucs - 27th yards, 27th points
2010 Bucs - 17th yards, 9th points
2011 Bucs - 30th yards, 32nd points

If Fangio is off the board, I have no hesitation in saying Phillips needs to be #1 target.

Man, I would love it if Phillips became DC and we managed to get Spanos back to be his successor.  After Phillips has hopefully done some good things and wants to retire let Spanos take the helm.

Of course, that would force Spanos to wait 3 more years or so before getting a DC role, and I'm not sure he'd want to wait that long.

Man, Donatell makes too much sense for us, actually. The personnel we've acquired since Mike arrived has essentially been all about takeaways and pass rush. Here's a guy proven he can maximize that. I bet he'd get, for instance, Amerson and Thomas to play to their abilities since that's what they were good at coming out of college.

He's too much of a fit for us to bring him in. I hope I'm wrong and Jay does the right thing if he truly is in charge of this hire like Allen made it seem.     

Seems to be a good fit.  But no Tampa connection to Bruce so wonder if that hurts  :lol: 

I'd assume the FO-Jay aren't so tone deaf that they hire Raheem Morris.  

This is from an interview last February (2014), about him retiring (Wade Phillips):

“Oh, no,” Phillips said Thursday. “I enjoy (coaching) too much. I’m hoping somebody will have a bad defense next season, and I’m sure there will be coaches who get fired. I still think I can help someone. Every place I’ve gone they’ve won, at least in the first year.”

So, looks like he's willing as long as someone calls him up, and he's a big Redskins fan and his son is here...

Archived