Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Who are legitimate options to replace Haslett as DC?

HtownRocks111

I'm in the minority I'm sure but I'd take Morris as the DC.

Heard something interesting with Morris on 980 earlier.  When he was promoted to HC in Tampa, he fired Gruden from the staff.  It was also said Haslett considered not bringing Morris back.  Morris was a Shanahan hire to the staff not Jim's.  Gruden may have no hard feelings towards Morris, but they didn't think Morris would be promoted.  

Wade Philips would remake us into a Top 10 D given some FA and draft help. He's the Norv Turner of Defense. Great coordinator, lousy head coach.

Plus his son is our TE coach.

I was kind of hoping that Wes Phillips would get the HC job.  That way Wade would be the first, and almost certainly the last, person to have replaced both their father and son as HC.

In all seriousness, I think Wade still wants a HC job (he very publicly petitioned for the Houston HC job).  If I were a newbie HC, I wouldn't want him around.  His defenses are always very good, but never good enough, and he works himself into a position to take over when lofty expectations aren't met.  Replaced his dad (interim), Dan Reeves (then flopped in Denver), Marv Levy (then flopped in Buffalo), Dan Reeves, again (interim), Gary Kubiak.

Where did Daniels say Raheem will be the DC-- did he tweet & delete?

If it is Raheem it proves all Bruce cares about is the tampa bay reunion because Raheem should have been jettisoned with Haz the way our safties and dbs played (with exception of Breeland for the most part)

I agree to a point but what if Gruden was serious about bringing haz back-- I think after 5 years of dysfunction if Snyder or Allen stepped in and said "it's time for a change" its one time I don't mind nor fault them for doing so

So he can moon the players when they under-perform at halftime?

YES

I'm in the minority I'm sure but I'd take Morris as the DC.

xplain pls

YES

xplain pls

I think he could do a good job with our guys. I think Flecher vouched for him saying he would make a DC here. Also we dont know how much it was the system that mad the DBs look as bad as they did. It wasnt just the DBs imo. The LBs coudnt cover a TE if their lives depended on it, The Dline played lost at times I'm a believer in the system as a whole was the issue last year. No excuse for opposing player running WIDE open week in and week out. I saw a post somewhere stating Haslett always attempted to fool the opposing teams QB instead he confused his defense.

I'd be willing to bet Morris would play to what the player do best and not have the DBs play 12 yards off on 3rd and 6. I give Kerrigan a lot of props because I think he could play in any system ala Watt. Yes I said it. If he wasnt held (many obvious holds) as much as we was this year Kerrigan would have had 20 sacks. 

A possible darkhorse for you guys could be Paul Guenther from Cincy.   I think he might be on the last year of his contract and there are ties to Guenther and Gruden from his days with the Bengals.  Would have probably have to offer him something lucrative and possibly an Assistants title but he could be a guy that would be a good fit for you.

The saddest part about this thread is that there is no name being discussed, other than perhaps Raheem Morris, that sounds like a worse option than Haslett.

Hiring Morris would reek of the same way Zorn became HC.

That's your cynicism speaking. Look at Haslett's record not just in DC, but historically.  Almost every option people are discussing would be an upgrade. Would they reinvent the Steel Curtain or '85 Bears?  Nope! But last year's D made the Bad News Bears look unstoppable.

A possible darkhorse for you guys could be Paul Guenther from Cincy. I think he might be on the last year of his contract and there are ties to Guenther and Gruden from his days with the Bengals. Would have probably have to offer him something lucrative and possibly an Assistants title but he could be a guy that would be a good fit for you.

Was thinking about him. Possible that he'd be available after this weekend.

A possible darkhorse for you guys could be Paul Guenther from Cincy.   I think he might be on the last year of his contract and there are ties to Guenther and Gruden from his days with the Bengals.  Would have probably have to offer him something lucrative and possibly an Assistants title but he could be a guy that would be a good fit for you.

He only has one year under his belt as a DC.  Not sure I would be thrilled with that idea but at last one is better than none.  He's also been described as "happy-go-lucky" and although that might mesh well with Gruden and his personality, I don't know that this would be ideal for the team. 

One thing that did make sense last year when Has was retained, was the idea that his previous HC experience whould be of benefit to a 1st year coach.  I think this idea is still valid, given the room for improvement Gruden needs as HC.  This obviously thins out the list of candidates considerably but Wade is still out there.  Right now he would be my first choice.

And yes, there would have to be an assistant HC title for Guenther or it's a lateral move and a non-starter.

personally I'd like to see them go young (a guy who is on another team but at a skilled position) young guys normally bring some intensity, flare and excitement, and are willing to go outside the box imho...I mean they need to start somewhere, personally I hate retread coaches, specially those over 60yrs.....this team needs direction not big name coaches imho...just talented coaches

He only has one year under his belt as a DC.  Not sure I would be thrilled with that idea but at last one is better than none.  He's also been described as "happy-go-lucky" and although that might mesh well with Gruden and his personality, I don't know that this would be ideal for the team. 

One thing that did make sense last year when Has was retained, was the idea that his previous HC experience whould be of benefit to a 1st year coach.  I think this idea is still valid, given the room for improvement Gruden needs as HC.  This obviously thins out the list of candidates considerably but Wade is still out there.  Right now he would be my first choice.

And yes, there would have to be an assistant HC title for Guenther or it's a lateral move and a non-starter.

I actually think that Guenther might have a provision in his contract that allows him to leave.  I think that Gruden wanted to bring Guenther with him when he first came here but the Bengals promoted him to DC.  Guenther has history with this organization as well.

I actually think that Guenther might have a provision in his contract that allows him to leave.  I think that Gruden wanted to bring Guenther with him when he first came here but the Bengals promoted him to DC.  Guenther has history with this organization as well.

This is the problem when an organization is hiring their buddies, sometimes there are too many buddies, and we end up looking at them instead of, oh, I dunno, seeing who's the best.

Wade's son is here and shows up to games in our gear.

Guenther worked with Gruden.

Raheem is in-house and worked with BAllen before.

Maybe we'll have a DC-by-committee approach.

Can't be any worse than under Haslett.

That's good stuff, scskin.  Especially liked paragraph-3 in the NFL.com piece about playing simple coverages on the back end to eliminate big plays and help the youngsters play faster.  We could use a massive dose of that theory.

I want Wade!!!

The list of people we should talk to:

-Jim Schwartz, Buffalo  (unless he gets the Bills head coaching gig)

-Steve Spagnuolo, Baltimore

-Mike Smith, free agent
-Dennis Allen, free agent

-Mike Singletary, Minnesota

All have been HCs in the past, have been DCs in the past, and all ran good 4-3 defences.

We need an ex-HC to help support Gruden, as a first-timer.

Rex Ryan? He's not interested in anything other than HC or a TV gig.

Raheem Morris? If you have to keep him because of loyalty, then make him the ST coach, and get rid of Kotwitca. ST were bad again this year.

The list of people we should talk to:

-Jim Schwartz, Buffalo  (unless he gets the Bills head coaching gig)

-Steve Spagnuolo, Baltimore

-Mike Smith, free agent

-Dennis Allen, free agent

-Mike Singletary, Minnesota

All have been HCs in the past, have been DCs in the past, and all ran good 4-3 defences.

We need an ex-HC to help support Gruden, as a first-timer.

Rex Ryan? He's not interested in anything other than HC or a TV gig.

Raheem Morris? If you have to keep him because of loyalty, then make him the ST coach, and get rid of Kotwitca. ST were bad again this year.

Schwartz is already DC in Buffalo correct? if so is his contract up cause if it isnt I dont see him leaving a top D in Buffalo to come here to a project in need of repair and fixing.....

Lol I can't believe we are even speculating

We all know it's going to be Morris who is Hasletts 2.0

I HATE YOU GRUDEN AND ALLEN GTFO MY TEAM

more then likely true......most times promoting in house is great, as franchises like the Ravens, Steelers Pats etc..show, but this is 1 case where it wouldn't be good should RM be named the new DC imho

Schwartz is already DC in Buffalo correct? if so is his contract up cause if it isnt I dont see him leaving a top D in Buffalo to come here to a project in need of repair and fixing.....

He is under contract there, but it's likely that Schwartz will interview for the HC job there. Also quite possible he won't get it, and will not be retained by the winner (Frank Reich?). Or he could be retained...

Understand that we might not be able to speak with him, but if we can, he would be at the top of my list. 

He is under contract there, but it's likely that Schwartz will interview for the HC job there. Also quite possible he won't get it, and will not be retained by the winner (Frank Reich?). Or he could be retained...

Understand that we might not be able to speak with him, but if we can, he would be at the top of my list. 

thats right Frank Reich is thought to be a hot candidate and could very well go back to Buffalo as the HC...good stuff you stated

Raheem's got it.  

The same Raheem that had Amerson regress under him this year, & was doing most of the game planning last year.

Yeah.

But hey, as long as Bruce wins Harvest Fest it's all good, right.

Archived