Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Who are legitimate options to replace Haslett as DC?

HtownRocks111

At the end of the day I think Fangio will stay with the niners if he is offered the head coaching position, if not I think a team like the Jets or Bears will offer him the position. Rex will probably take a year off unless offered a head coaching gig with an already pretty good team like the niners (highly doubt it), and wait too see what head coach positions come about next offseason. I think we could get Wade Phillips if we wanted too especially that his son works as a coach with us already, and Wade might feel like he might have another head coaching chance, if Gruden gets fired after next season (which I don't hope the Wade part happens).

Phillips if we are looking for a coordinator with experience.

I would love to see either Olivadotti or Baker promoted because they actually have gotten results from their player groups and seem to coach development more than the other coaches on staff.

Spanos would be another awesome hire if we could get him back.

Rex is a pipedream would love it.

Wade Phillips makes most since. Dont gotta worry about him leaving to be a HC. A he has a very aggressive 34 1 gap scheme. He puts guys into position to suceed and plays to there strenght. He also runs a very basic cover 4/8 scheme with safetys at 8-10 yards. He is a brilliant d-cordinator

... Is it possible given our rank statistically against the pass and run that Snyder will give Haslett ANOTHER chance?  I'm so scared Snyder will see it that way and go with Has one more time.  I wish we had gotten blown away in all our losses to make this decision an eas(ier) one...

If the Redskins re-sign Haslett, I am officially turning in my fan card.

I would LOVE to have Wade Phillips here. He has a brilliant defensive mind, even if he is a mediocre head coach. However, he is also almost 70 years old. Not sure how interested he is in getting back into coaching.

Rex Ryan would be very good too, though like others said I'm guessing he wants a HC gig. For the right money though, who knows...

I usually hate threads like this.

That being said, and I hate to admit it, but Wade Phillips has been known to make Filet Mignon out of roast beef. We got a lot of roast beef on this wack ass team.

Why would Fangio make a lateral move from a team loaded with defensive talent, to a team of scrubs like the Redskins? Not to mention the fact, even with the Harbaugh drama, that this organization sucks compared to the 49ers.

I wouldn't call the 49ers a good organization they have only had 3 winning seasons since 1999 until 2011 they were a joke like the Cleveland Browns,NY Jets and Oakland Raiders it's funny how everyone seems to forget that now..It's very possible that they could go back to being terrible again after Jim Harbaugh leaves.

Wade Phillips is the obvious choice if we stay in a 3-4 defense.

Wade Phillips is 66 years old I would rather have younger who will be here for a little while, like maybe JIm Tomsula from the 49ers or maybe one of 2 people from the Seattle Seahawks Ken Norton Jr or Kris Richard.

What makes anybody think that Haslett is not going to return.? The injuries we endured are all the excuse the current decision makers need to give him another year. HC has already stated he wanted to retain him. I don't see any significant changes to the coaching staff; my hope is Gruden will purge the list of FA we continue to carry that don't contribute and start the long process of rebuilding the roster. This is going to be a long and painful process. There is not a quick fix.

What makes anybody think that Haslett is not going to return.? The injuries we endured are all the excuse the current decision makers need to give him another year. HC has already stated he wanted to retain him. I don't see any significant changes to the coaching staff; my hope is Gruden will purge the list of FA we continue to carry that don't contribute and start the long process of rebuilding the roster. This is going to be a long and painful process. There is not a quick fix.

Jay Gruden had to say he wants Jim Haslett he can't say anything bad about him and ruin any chance of Haslett getting another job, he is gone because his contract runs out at the end of the year and I can't see the Skins renewing it.

Wade Philips would remake us into a Top 10 D given some FA and draft help. He's the Norv Turner of Defense. Great coordinator, lousy head coach.

Plus his son is our TE coach.

Im not looking at the updated numbers infront of me but aren't we something like 10th against the run/11th against the pass in the NFL statistically?  Numbers LIE lol....  we're a 24-29 ranked defense on the field I'm pretty sure.

Why would you run for cover? I mean, I get that SF may not elect to do that, but that would be a great hire.

See the **** flinging above towards the Fangio option. I had an odd sense that mentioning him would be reason to start a brush fire...call it ES experience.

I'm optimistic that if Harbaugh goes...so does the remaining staff. It would be like piranha to a capybara carcass floating lifeless along the Amazon River.

My favorite options are as follow:

1) Fangio (dependant on the pending SF coaching staff implosion)

2) Spanos

3) Phillips

4) Ryan

5) the DC from Arizona (just throw a boatload of money at him if he's your huckleberry)

See the **** flinging above towards the Fangio option. I had an odd sense that mentioning him would be reason to start a brush fire...call it ES experience.

I'm optimistic that if Harbaugh goes...so does the remaining staff. It would be like piranha to a capybara carcass floating lifeless along the Amazon River.

My favorite options are as follow:

1) Fangio (dependant on the pending SF coaching staff implosion)

2) Spanos

3) Phillips

4) Ryan

5) the DC from Arizona (just throw a boatload of money at him if he's your huckleberry)

If Todd Bowles to to come back to the Skins he would have to be named Assistant HC I don't think he can just make a lateral move like that. Also we don't know if Todd Bowles wants to come back to the Skins.

You mean mini Redskins legend Todd Bowles? Pretty sure he just signed a pretty hefty extension recently. He's done a great job, so has the guy in SF, but I think their success is in large part due to great personnel and drafting well. I think Wade could torment Tony Romo just as well if not better than Haz (his only redeeming quality IMO) LeBeau is ten years older, so age doesn't bother me one bit. I'd take an old 3-4 guy over a young one any day.

Yeah...Bowles is not my favorite choice, but if we were going to go in a direction other than the other 4 i mentioned, then Bowles would be my choice. I was being facetious in not naming him...bad joke. I mentioned Spanos by name because, well, people don't seem to acknowledge him very much...but i love what he did at UCLA (Trojan fan btw), & i believe that he is a cut above in terms of developing defenders.

Phillips wouldn't be a bad hire imo, but i am just not all that excited about long in the tooth (experience-wise) retreads in today's NFL. Fangio is my first vhoice though...i hope.

http://riggosrag.com/2014/12/27/washington-redskins-defensive-coordinator-possibilities/

Redskins Defensive Coordinator Possibilities: This is a list of possible defensive coordinators for the Washington Redskins in the event that current DC Jim Haslett isn’t retained in the position.

I agree with all of the candidates except Nolan. Not that I don't want him but theres no way he'd come back here working under Snyder again.

Why do fans always get their hopes up for potential coaches to come here? There's no f**king way Rex Ryan would want to come here

Well, they were able to get Marty and Mike Shanahan here as head coaches and Marvin Lewis and Gregg Williams here.  Why did any of those guys want to come here?  So the answer would probably be money. 

Not to mention, you're talking about a guy that coached the Jets all these years when he would've been in demand.  So he's already established he'll coach anywhere.

Speaking of stats, has anyone taken the time to actually see what the Jets defensive stats are like under sage wizard Rex Ryan?

You might be in for a surprise if not. Presuming you're under the delusion that he'd be anything other than the same clown show just in a different form. 

They've been no worse than 11th in yards every year he's been there.  And this year, he's operating with the probably the least talented group (at least in the back 7) since he's been there and they're still better than us defensively.  15th against the pass, 5th against the run, on a team with no real offensive support.  You wouldn't take that?  What are the defensive stats that are so objectionable?

I think Rex as the DC would be different than Rex as the HC.  All he'd have to do is devote all his energies to scheming up the defense, rather than be the face of the organization, giving press conferences every week, etc. 

Archived